All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri May 12, 2006 6:21 am

Now, that's one boot I'll never own.

Fri May 12, 2006 6:59 am

I must say, every time I saw that 1981 bootleg, I quietly ran my fingernails along the grooves, ruining the vinyl. At least three copies were defiled in that manner.

Then, one day, it struck me how wrong I was, and not just because that record belonged to the store I was in.

Somehow, I realized Elvis' Greatest sh*t was actually:

- a darkly ironic, yet loving look at our hero
- a big F-U to Albert Goldman and his spurious, mean-spirited biography

It was created out of love for Elvis, and anger at his image being trashed by Goldman's highly-publicised book.

I own a copy, with the "Dr. Nick prescription" insert, although it's not been played in years. Even if you hate the idea of this album, you have to admit the Nipper logo parody (dog vomiting into Victrola, saying "He Makes Me Sick" instead of "His Master's Voice") is pretty funny.

DJC

Fri May 12, 2006 7:02 am

I do and have always understood the concept of the album. I never could get past the cover art though. Seems very disrespectful. They could have gotten their point across without that pic.

Probably just me though.

Fri May 12, 2006 7:19 am

Rob wrote:I never could get past the cover art though. Seems very disrespectful. They could have gotten their point across without that pic.

Well, I did say it was a darkly ironic project.

DJC
From The Dark, To The Light!

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Fri May 12, 2006 1:40 pm

... Spot on Doc! After the FBI had busted several bootleggers, in the US,

and put them behind bars, one, after getting back on the streets, had

lost his wife and kids, thru a divorce, and wanted to spit his pain and

frustrations, in the direction of RCA, who were responsible, in the first

place, for working together with the FBI, in coming down on him, and

his buddies. Thus was born, the Greatest sh*t album. It was the last

boot, before he vanished, from the scene, for good...

The front cover photo, isnt my taste either. But the labelname, and

ads on the back, were funny!

He and I, met again, in Memphis, years later. It was a very moving

experience, seeing, one of my old bootleg heroes, who was known

as The Glendale Ghost, aka Vic Collona... [ ***]

[***] See the boot catalog, posted, on this page.

I hope hes still around, somewhere ? We should always remember,

it was Vic, and his buddies, who brought back the excitement, in to

collecting Elvis... I honestly doubt , that many of us, posting on

this mb, today, would have survived, without them damn bootlegs,

in the late 70s. I , for one, cant picture, what our hobby, would have

looked like, had it been on a strict diet of undigestable RCA releases!

Thanks, Vic, and the others...

Fri May 12, 2006 2:24 pm

Great story, Ger. Suddenly that "RCA Victim" logo on the label makes perfect sense! Brilliant. :D

This is the best topic in months.

Keith Richards, Jr.

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Fri May 12, 2006 2:40 pm

... Thanks, Keith! I hope to share more stories, on the Glendale Ghost,

with you all. Without him, there would have been no European boot scene.

and without the Euro boot scene, probably, no FTD... Vic, lead the way, for

many...

Fri May 12, 2006 7:36 pm

I said this to Tigerman t'other day: for the diehard fan there's nothing quite like holding a great bootleg in your hand while you sit there listening to it. :wink:

They're the CDs that make you say "Yep, I'm a fan alright".

first bootlegs

Fri May 12, 2006 8:00 pm

I still have the flyier (minus the "cut on the dotted line" order form) for ON STAGE IN THE USA. It was 1974-76ish. I don't know where I got the flyier. It was either mailed to me or someone handed it to me at the Pittsburgh show in 1973.

I to was a member of the VICOLONNA "fan club." My friends (in Jr. High) could not understand my fasinations with the boots....especally the terrible sounding ones.

But I figured if 4 million people owned ALOHA IN HAWAII, less than 2000 people owned any given bootleg....that was a pretty cool club to be with.
I had Rockin Rebel
Legend lives on
Command Performance
Pittsburgh New Years Eve
Behind Close doors

Then I got into tapes of the shows.

Fri May 12, 2006 8:27 pm

I wonder how many EP boots have actually been released since the 70s?

Even if one bought only the "good ones", that would be one serious collection of Elvis history.

Fri May 12, 2006 9:05 pm

My first boot, 1981 if im correct. Played it so many times. It was exciting cause you got something that wasnt for sale in regular stores Spend all my money on bootlegs during my youth. Found a little record store in Utrecht, Oude Gracht, were they sold Elvis bootlegs. Of course also from the Dutch fanclub.

When the CD saw the light of day, i sold all my vinyl bootlegs.(aproxx. 100) Still regret it.

Among the very rare and mainly first pressings. Like, ''Live Experience'', Pittsburgh 1976'', ''To Know Him Is To Love Him'', The Entertainer''.

Fri May 12, 2006 9:15 pm

3577 wrote:Among the very rare and mainly first pressings. Like, ''Live Experience'', Pittsburgh 1976'', ''To Know Him Is To Love Him'', The Entertainer''.

I still have these..hooray....lol..

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Sat May 13, 2006 10:47 am

... Im hoping, this weekend, to show some photos here, of Vic, from

the time, we had met in Vegas, back in december 76. To beef it up,

also some top quality shots of Elvis, on stage, made by a professional

photographer, during one of the gigs, in december. Positive images,

dont worry!

In the meantime, keep them stories coming! Anybody, remember

that newsletter, the Colonel mailed out to Fanclubs, worldwide???

In this "printed" letter [ signed by Eddie Bonja] , fans are warned

not to buy these pirate [ bootleg] releases! :lol:

The letter, was reprinted, inside the inlay, of a boot cd :lol:

cover, back in the 90s. Was it on the Mac label? Im not sure.

Anybody???

Sat May 13, 2006 11:41 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff, I have no idea (no eye dear :lol:) where I ripped this off from, but I believe this is you! If it is, and you're pissed off I uploaded it, then I am sorry. It was not my intention!

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Sat May 13, 2006 1:49 pm

Its a cool looking billboard, and a good looking babe!

December coming, itll be 30 years ago... good grief!

Sat May 13, 2006 2:35 pm

I remember back in '96 during the 20th anniversary of the '76 Vegas last stand, I listened to every single gig in their chronological order over ten nights! It's weird, I havn't listened to them since . . .

Sun May 14, 2006 4:16 pm

Great thread.

When I first started collecting I had a US Elvis magazine titled “The Complete Elvis”. It was a discography (which also included some foreign releases and bootlegs), but there were no track listings published for any of the albums, so my choices were normally based on any rare or unusual looking titles. At this time most of the original soundtrack albums were deleted in the UK, but there was a record stall on the local market in my hometown, which was run by an Elvis fan, and carried far more Elvis releases than you could find in the local record shops.

The stall sold US imports, and it wasn’t long before I was snapping up the majority of the soundtrack titles (thinking I was never going to get the chance to buy them again) along with additional US albums that at the time were out of print in the UK or had different cover designs (LPM1254 for example in the days before CD’s).

As I regular visitor to the stall, I would often ask questions about certain releases and which titles were available, and I soon became quite friendly with the stall holder, who was always helpful and happy to give advice or just talk Elvis. One day the bootleg titles that I had seen in my magazine became the topic of our conversation, and to my amazement the stallholder produced a box from under the counter containing numerous bootleg titles

From that point on I was totally hooked, and would buy bootlegs whenever I could afford them. The first boot I ever owned was the Golden Archives release “From The Waist Up” which had a great cover shot, and featured recordings from Elvis’ appearances on the Ed Sullivan shows. The album also included a large poster with caricatures of Elvis with Ed, which was proudly displayed on my bedroom wall. The sound quality was poor in comparison to the recordings of these historic shows that we have in our possession now, but this didn’t dampen my enthusiasm for bootleg titles.

Other releases I picked up around this time where the Amiga releases of the “That’s The Way It Is” and “On Tour” soundtracks, which both featured great cover art and took pride of place in my collection. Shortly afterwards I started to attend conventions, and would spend all my spare cash on bootleg titles and RCA releases from around the world.

Sun May 14, 2006 4:56 pm

Great topic!

My first bootleg was Rockin' Rebel 1 and I still love that release, especially the cover! I think my (vinyl) bootleg collection is pretty complete and I doubt I will ever sell it. CDs never managed to exite me too much and I don't realy care about them.

A question to Ger, do you know this bootleg cover?

Sun May 14, 2006 6:47 pm

These were my first boot LP's;

Sun May 14, 2006 7:30 pm

Isn`t this one the most valuable...??
The show hasn`t been released yet on import or officially
..23.8.70 DS...Elvis in top form...sound isn`t the best..

Thanks Ernie...for the cover..I have it..I have.it... :wink:

Sun May 14, 2006 10:51 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Isn`t this one the most valuable...??
The show hasn`t been released yet on import or officially
..23.8.70 DS...Elvis in top form...sound isn`t the best..

Thanks Ernie...for the cover..I have it..I have.it... :wink:

It's only valuable if you have the original first pressing.

I have it ... I have it ... I have it 8) :wink:

Sun May 14, 2006 10:58 pm

I have it..I have it... :wink:

Sun May 14, 2006 11:01 pm

:smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Sun May 14, 2006 11:22 pm

While talking about these old vinyl releases we shouldn`t forget the key
to them....the fantastic book "Jailhouse Rock" by Cotton/de Witt which came out in 1983 and was a guide through all boot vinyls which were released so far. A real bible..still worthwhile..excellent..!!

Sun May 14, 2006 11:38 pm

Yes i bought that 'bible' of bootlegs in 1986..... best book i ever bought(well...almost!) :smt005