All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Re: THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Thu May 11, 2006 7:22 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... his penthouse [ known

at the time, as the Laurel Building]

It was you who chose this name..?
Wasn`t their first release the Jailhouse Rock Sessions LP...?
I think there are one or two still unreleased takes on it.

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Thu May 11, 2006 9:04 am

... Coming today, in this continuing story: My adventures with "The

Glendale Ghost"! The man behind Audifon, Golden Archives, etc !

In the meantime, thanks, to you all, for sharing the memories...

Them, damn bootlegs, surely left an emotional mark, on us all.

Catch you guys [ and more girls, please!] , later! :wink:

Thu May 11, 2006 9:10 am

Rob - you're correct about the cover of The Legend Lives On. That's an Ed Bonja shot (hard to believe) of Elvis in September 1970, on his private jet, IIRC.

What a great set, with soundboard material from 21 Aug'69 MS of about six songs (including a KILLER "Suspicious Minds" and the definitive live Presley take of "What'd I Say"), all the Feb'72 multi-track masters (sans reverb), and the undubbed "Bridge Over Troubled Water" from June 1970. That LP was a favorite for many, many years.

Cisco - you're correct that 1983's Jailhouse Rock Sessions (Laurel) still harbors two alternate takes (18 and 19) of "Young and Beautiful" unavailable elsewhere. And the audio quality is perfect.

ailhouse Rock Sessions also features perhaps the greatest cover design of ANY Elvis Presley album ever released. If anyone can post it, you'll see what I mean.

DJC

Thu May 11, 2006 9:20 am

I have not checked in years but (imo) I doubt there were any soundboards on The Legend Lives On or any vinyl for that matter but very good audience recordings.

1st bootleg purchased

Thu May 11, 2006 9:35 am

Hi - way before Elvis died I was purchasing Elvis LP bootlegs......and they are still in my collection - I especially loved the outtakes of Elvis' songs.....I was blown away when I heard these!!! Outtakes are still #1 with me and I love the studio chatter.................and of course the shows!!! I love all my bootlegs and cherish all the FTD's.......I find I play these more than the mainstream releases.......or I'll make my own CD's up as I still don't think we get releases how Elvis should be presented.......

I too am amazed at the fans I trade with - 95% are guys and 5% gals - I find this strange as the gals usually google over Elvis and go on about him but it's the guys who are the real collectors and fans of Elvis' works of art - his music.........with the rare exception there are avid female collectors who know just every little thing about him and every song he ever sang and all about those rare bootlegs!!! You can usually figure out the avid fan in a few minutes that's for sure!!!! You can tell a casual fan immediately...........

Anyway just to let you know that yes there are gals out there who really DO know their Elvis music and film........c'mon gals let's speak up!!!

Thu May 11, 2006 10:27 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not checked in years but (imo) I doubt there were any soundboards on The Legend Lives On or any vinyl for that matter but very good audience recordings.

Technically you are correct they aren't traditional soundboards, they are RCA alternate masters or masters that somehow escaped the vaults.
But they are not audience recordings.
And there are others but I can't think of one title at the moment.

Thu May 11, 2006 10:41 am

JLGB wrote:I have not checked in years but (imo) I doubt there were any soundboards on The Legend Lives On ...

If you haven't "checked in years," I don't understand the value of your comment here. Everything I said about this LP is correct. Find your copy and listen again.

It appears that 1977's The Legend Lives On is the first "private" Presley release to feature in-line recordings from August 1969 and February 1972.

DJC

Thu May 11, 2006 12:20 pm

These stories are fascinating.

I remember thinking in the mid to late 1990s about how much material was out there - and how good it was that a new release was announced every month at least. Bootlegs were always much more exciting than getting regualr releases.

I always remember phoning various Elvis traders and asking if they did bootlegs - of course they said no! lol. Once a few people had pointed me in the right direction I knew to phone up and ask for what I wanted, mentioning that X or Y had recommended them.

Andrew

Thu May 11, 2006 1:16 pm

It was late 1978 or early 1979, I remember walking down a city street & seeing a small 'dingy' shop (you know the type...incense oozing out of every pore). As I'd never been in this record shop I felt compelled to go inside, did the usual look around for Elvis material....bang at the back of the shop hidden under other Elvis 'Australian RCA' releases was the words 'New Years Eve'....what I thought 'sh@t this must be that bl##dy show I'd heard about in front of the 60,000 concert goers'....grabbed my $AUS9.95 (yes that' right not even $10. I scurried out of the shop with my 'white bagged' prize, made for the bus, got on the bus (back seat of course so I could take the first good look at my prize)....."what this is not 1975 into 1976 New Years Eve Concert that I'd read about in Lichter's The Boy Who Dared To Rock". I'd never even been aware there was a 1976 into 1977 New Years Eve concert so to say I was deflated was an understatement...there is no bloody Wooden Heart on this LP....what's Rags To Riches doing there ?....this must be a Live & Studio compilation LP...bugger :lol:

Well when I got home my deflation became undeflated :shock: when I slipped LP 1 onto the gramaphone device, I'd say that afternoon I played that whole concert (all 4 sides) about 5 times....I was hooked.

The following week I went to the shop again & they had the Legend Lives On...bagged that one also, over the years I probably picked up about 6 LP's that way. I've been hooked going from LP's to CD's ever since, thanks to easily one of Elvis's best ever shows New Years Eve show December 31 1976 & not December 31 1975 !

Thu May 11, 2006 1:22 pm

Hey Rob, I've just seen your post on page 2 re: New Years Eve LP...are you sure you're not me :shock: :lol: :shock: ....that was my first boot as it was yours, my favourite version of Bridge is the same as yours (from Sold Out In Dixie)...Rob you're creeping me out :roll:

Thu May 11, 2006 1:27 pm

A cassette tape, with a audience recording of Elvis in Las Vegas in 1970, blew me away. Away from bootlegs! It was such a terrible listening experience, I decided to stay away from bootlegs.
Mostly because of poor sound, poor recording and so on.
Still I have managed to get hold of a very few. The Pittsburg concert on that double LP, which we now have on FTD. Actually, my LP album sounds better than the FTD tape, IMO.
And another strange gem on CD. Holding the Easy Come, Easy Go soundtrack, Wild In The Country with the overdub, which were released in the UK. And some of those strange one-channel only tracks which appeared on a Ducthc LP years ago.
And recently one calle Phenomenon, which ao holds Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On with the horns overdubbed. And The Twelfth Of Never with the David Briggs overdub. (Very nice imo)
I recall all those strange bootleg covers, which actually attracted my attention, but somehow I remained a non bootleg collector.
Other than that, I've stuck to the official RCA/FTD output. And I can live with it!

Thu May 11, 2006 2:38 pm

Ahh yes,...... them Damn Bootlegs....
the Evil of it all :twisted: :wink:

For me and for many of you the Elvis Bootleg
record or video was GOD sent.....

It kept the Elvis fire burning for many of us.....
without them at times Elvis I'm sure would have
really died for a lot of people.....

The Bootlegger was light years away from what
RCA was coming out with at the time...from the
packaging to the material and in some cases the
importer is still doing a better job then what FTD
or SONY/BMG.....come out with....even today.....

For FTD it's not necessary the material that is lacking,
but the packaging...which could have been much better
and still could be at times....

Anyway for some of you that didn't get to see some of
these earlier adds and for some of you that did see some
of these adds your about to see. I thought it would be kinda
neat to show you all what was being done back then,
before CD's, DVD's and the Internet.

For some this might bring back some memories.....of
how it was.....

Time has gone by so quick at times it seems like
yesterday while in reality this all starts over 30 years
ago for some........

This flyer came out around 78' by a fellow who some of
us knew and knew also this was not his real name nor also
know he does not exist anymore, so that's why I'm
leaving the name on the flyer.

Here was a guy who along with another fellow who
some us knew about, helped bring us the 68' material
on video...and really were responsible for the majority
of what was coming out at the time in the late 70's early
80's.....before the Big bust of 81'.

Where in return both if I'm not mistaken served a little
time for what they did, but for the little time they did
end up serving they became Hero's of the Elvis World
and prior to their conviction were richly rewarded.....

One fellow is still in business today....
but has gone strictly legit....and still
continues to this day being one
of the biggest collectors out there....

Seen here are some of the highlights
of this particular flyer, notice the pricing
especially for the video's, fairly expensive
for the time period for most....

Interesting to see what was coming out around this time.

Notice the reproductions of the SUN 45's...

Notice on the flyer "As Advertised on TV"....

Now that's balls..... :lol: :smt096

PEP 8)

Thu May 11, 2006 3:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JLGB wrote:I have not checked in years but (imo) I doubt there were any soundboards on The Legend Lives On ...

If you haven't "checked in years," I don't understand the value of your comment here. Everything I said about this LP is correct. Find your copy and listen again.

It appears that 1977's The Legend Lives On is the first "private" Presley release to feature in-line recordings from August 1969 and February 1972.

DJC
I have a good memory and the reason I doubted they were inline or soundboards is because they sounded and sound today like crap. I remember telling that to the person that put it out and there was no disagreement there. On the other hand Command Performance sounds great and are audience recordings.

Thu May 11, 2006 6:34 pm

I couldn`t wait for the next package to come.
unreleased film songs..wow...Husy Dusty Day...Dominic...The Lady Loves Me..I was in heaven..
Then...the next show...his very last one.I counted the hours...then I had it in my hands..I was the King not Evis...lol..
My class mates laughed at me..they were Beatlesand Stones fans.
but I was the only one who had boots.LOL..my treasures.
I remember getting The complete Dorsey shows...i played it the whole day...full volume...man...these were days...you were satisfied with what you could get...you weren´t complaining about sound....mixing..cover layout....you h a d it and that was a dream come come true...

Thu May 11, 2006 6:44 pm

Some of the ads were funny to me. For live audience recordings it was something like "you are there"!!! :lol:

Thu May 11, 2006 7:11 pm

bajo wrote:I've stuck to the official RCA/FTD output. And I can live with it!

I can live on eating nothing but a bologna sandwich each day. However, I would be cheating myself. After giving it some thought though, I can see you're right. I too can live with you sticking to the official RCA/FTD output.

As for myself....not happenin' (bologna either).

Ray wrote:Hey Rob, I've just seen your post on page 2 re: New Years Eve LP...are you sure you're not me :shock: :lol: :shock: ....that was my first boot as it was yours, my favourite version of Bridge is the same as yours (from Sold Out In Dixie)...Rob you're creeping me out :roll:

Don't pay any attention to that man standing out in the street watching your house.

Thu May 11, 2006 7:57 pm

JLGB wrote:... the reason I doubted they were inline or soundboards is because they sounded and sound today like crap.

Of course, this is not what you wrote in your first post. And how can you know what they sound like today, when you haven't heard the LP in years?

JLGB wrote:I remember telling that to the person that put it out and there was no disagreement there. On the other hand Command Performance sounds great and are audience recordings.

Although the material heard on The Legend Lives On is not 10 on a scale of 10 -- it's maybe a 7 -- it is FAR superior to Command Performances in both content and sound quality. That LP had some nice recordings, but if the Pittsburgh '76 audience rates a 9, Command Performances is a 6.

Anyway, all of my comments regarding The Legend Lives On remain valid, and you can tell your friend who put it out that as well.

DJC

Thu May 11, 2006 8:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JLGB wrote:... the reason I doubted they were inline or soundboards is because they sounded and sound today like crap.

Of course, this is not what you wrote in your first post. And how can you know what they sound like today, when you haven't heard the LP in years?

JLGB wrote:I remember telling that to the person that put it out and there was no disagreement there. On the other hand Command Performance sounds great and are audience recordings.

Although the material heard on The Legend Lives On is not 10 on a scale of 10 -- it's maybe a 7 -- it is FAR superior to Command Performances in both content and sound quality. That LP had some nice recordings, but if the Pittsburgh '76 audience rates a 9, Command Performances is a 6.

Anyway, all of my comments regarding The Legend Lives On remain valid, and you can tell your friend who put it out that as well.

DJC
I am not going to argue content but sound quality I beg to differ and my opinion is the exact opposite as yours.And if you are going to get picky about it you said soundboard and soundboard is incorrect. And I wrote sound "today" obviously because I played it again and sounded as bad as I remembered.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu May 11, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 11, 2006 10:07 pm

I was one of those (very young) late '70s American fans who used RCA's inner sleeve as a kind of guide to what Elvis albums I had ...and needed next.

Later, imagine my surprise when I saw a few odd advertisements in this or that Elvis (or music) magazine advertising specifically these two:

ImageImage

Unfortunately, they were (a) pricey and (b) there was something illicit about them and I wasn't about to send cash I didn't have for them through the mail. I think every once in awhile I'd see one in a record store and stare at it like it had to be some kind of mistake! Ah, youth! I had Camdens to collect, anyway!

Sadly, I remained a loyal RCA foot soldier through the '80s, enjoying the silver and gold box sets, but being burned on many a LP with duplicated tracks, took heart when the Gregg Geller-era produced things like the Memphis Record and The Complete Sun Sessions. I also recall that RCA's "Essential Elvis Vol. 1" took Elvis more seriously than I'd seen in some time, but the notes on the Sun and '69 sets also introduced me to some guy named Peter Guralnick, who, unlike the popular culture, actually thought Elvis mattered.

Around 1988, an older hipster friend mentioned to me about things like Greil Marcus' famous piece on Elvis as well as critic Dave Marsh, so I started seeking out more Elvis I didn't have, named the mysterious Million Dollar Quartet, which I assumed was some kind of myth. I didn't recall hearing much about it and it sounded like a lie.

To my surprise, I found "The Milliion Dollar Quartet: The Rock and Roll Tapes" on LP on (I believe) the Laurel label, with a young Elvis superimposed onto a "million-dollar" bill of some sort. I found this in New York's Greenwich Village, quite likely at the famed "Bleeker Bob's" record store.

I was still young enough to not entirely know what a bootleg was and in fact it seemed reasonably official to me, although I wondered where on earth the RCA information was... :oops: In any event, I didn't know it them but it was my "virginal" (first) Elvis bootleg.

Sadly, I continued to rely on RCA as a source for Elvis,and probably smartly moved onto the other great music of the world, particularly blues and soul, and other rock, including much that influenced Elvis.

Somewhere in the '90s I started to hear about what Ernst was doing with the Elvis catalog, and by the late '90s I had picked up a CD here or there (a used copy of "Great Country Songs" on CD in 1996) but I still preferred my '70s and '80s era Elvis vinyl and had no idea a "dead artist" (that felt almost like as natural as family to me) actually had a lot of interesting "new" things happened. I had no idea the bootleg world existed under Elvis. I'd knew about it for other artists, but for Elvis? And what was up with these "alternates" they were pawning off as new songs? I was quite skeptical until I heard them.
So come around 2001, and I discover FECC and a whole world of Elvis nutty-nuts was opened up to me.I think around the time of ALLC and E1, I really noticed FECC was hopping. These people knew way more than I did about obscure details and I thought I knew the guy's history reasonably well...!

I realized I had a lot of CDs to collect (and replace or upgrade from LP) and by about '02 knew something good existed on "FTD" but awhile to get that bug and realize they were all must-haves.

Around this time, a weird 2-LP set surfaced in a local store called something like "The Vegas Years, 1972-75," mostly audience stuff, plus some '50s TV shows. The labels had another artist on it. This weird item (with a goofy looking portrait on the cover) become my first bootleg in well over a decade, certainly the first one I knew wasn't legit!

In the last few years, I've managed to collect a combination of real and CDR ( :oops: ) versions of a good 90% of the famed FECC Top 40 imports via swap and other means. It's quite a world out there to discover for even long time Elvis fans. I think the secrecy is part of the allure but it also keeps some great music away from would-be hard-core fans. It comes with the territory and FTD has been a great boon bridging the gap - if one knows about it! The fans here have been terrrific and generous in helping me build my collection. More often than not, folks have "the spirit" of Elvis' famed generousity.

Finally, I love that phenomenal site that someone posted:

http://www.elvisvinyl.com/

And have found Oven's site very useful along with FECC and many others.
Thanks for the great personal stories. Nicely done, Ger!

All Hail the Bootleggers, I mean, the Importers!

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri May 12, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu May 11, 2006 10:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Cisco - you're correct that 1983's Jailhouse Rock Sessions (Laurel) still harbors two alternate takes (18 and 19) of "Young and Beautiful" unavailable elsewhere. And the audio quality is perfect.

Unbelievable that these takes still remain unreleased ..over 20 years later...yeah..perfect sound..
This LP is still a master piece.

Thu May 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Good tapes for that vinyl master!

Fri May 12, 2006 2:11 am

Yes i remember in 1986 buying 'Command Performance' and much later on the superb 'The Ledgend Lives On'....i also was struck by the cover and content of 'Long Lost Songs' which i also bought in the 80's memorable boots and still to this day excellent listening for that good old Elvis Magic! :roll:

Fri May 12, 2006 5:36 am

Steve_M wrote:Ger baby, was this one of your etchings that adorned this cover ?:

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure this is one of Ger's.

Fri May 12, 2006 6:05 am

That is indeed Ger's talented hand. Not that he had anything to do with that particular LP.

I forgot to mention another thrilling release, from 1978, From The Beach To The Bayou -->

This was the very first "studio outtakes" bootleg I ever owned, and I still get a chill when I think about how cool it was to hear Elvis working through "Can't Help Falling In Love." He got a little "naughty" at one point, and I just loved it! It felt like an honor to "be there" at a session.

I found a scan of the most beautiful LP design of all time, for the Jailhouse Rock Sessions LP, but I'm starting a new topic for that one.

DJC
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu May 28, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 12, 2006 6:18 am

I'll never forget going to a record convention in Tulsa in like 1981 and was thumbing through the albums and saw a copy of "Elvis' Greatest ****" with that horrid cover and all the stupid things wrote all over it. Thinking to myself "Oh my God, has it come to this!". I hope Tallhair didn't design that one!

JEFF d
EP fan
Last edited by JEFF d on Fri May 12, 2006 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.