All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

them damn bootlegs

Thu May 25, 2006 11:33 am

... Im aware , a lot of the boot covers, seen on these pages,

are from the days when vinyl ruled. But dont let that stop you,

young ones, to post cds, and [ hopefully] stories to go along

with them... long as its not Cheggies! :D Thank you.

Rijff

Thu May 25, 2006 12:04 pm

Rijff what is YOUR problem? You want to be praised as BOOTLEG GOD or what? You want everyone will pray to you and say THANKS, THANKS mister??? You are continuing with your imbecle attacks. You must have very unhappy life if you care about these marginal things. My advice: switch of your PC, do not take your drugs in such amount, go somewhere in the forrest or on the river for fishing, enjoy the life...

Re: Rijff

Thu May 25, 2006 12:10 pm

deadringer wrote:Rijff what is YOUR problem? You want to be praised as BOOTLEG GOD or what? You want everyone will pray to you and say THANKS, THANKS mister??? You are continuing with your imbecle attacks. You must have very unhappy life if you care about these marginal things. My advice: switch of your PC, do not take your drugs in such amount, go somewhere in the forrest or on the river for fishing, enjoy the life...

You seem to have completely missed the point of TallHair's posts. Its a fascinating insight into the world of bootlegs - from someone who was THERE!

Keep it coming Ger

Andrew

re

Thu May 25, 2006 12:12 pm

I did not missed it, my friend. it is something that you do not understand... a bit personal thing.

Re: re

Thu May 25, 2006 12:18 pm

deadringer wrote:I did not missed it, my friend. it is something that you do not understand... a bit personal thing.

If it's personal, send Mr. Rijff a Private Message (PM). The rest of us are really enjoying this subject, as if you couldn't tell.

Ger, don't forget to start the "Marion & SUN" topic ASAP!

DJC

Re

Thu May 25, 2006 12:20 pm

Well HE is personal on opened forum so i see no reason to send him private message. See my point?

Re: Re

Thu May 25, 2006 12:29 pm

deadringer wrote:Well HE is personal on opened forum so i see no reason to send him private message. See my point?

No.

We are enjoying the stories - if you have a problem then you should take it up with him.

Ger - listen to the Doc and get the marion Keisker topic underway :-)

Thu May 25, 2006 1:05 pm

keep it comin´, ger!

your posts are very appreciated and it´s a pleasure to share the same messageboard with you.

noch dazu kann ich fast über die grenze zu euch käsköppen spucken! :wink:
grüsse an frau antje!

christopher

them damn bootlegs

Thu May 25, 2006 4:55 pm

... God Of The Bootlegs... My Boss sez thank you, Deadringer,

for coming up with a brilliant title for his biography!

When have YOU ever, submitted something else, on this mb,

other than plugging your cerial box products...?!

And, YES! I get a kick out of seeing over 7000 hits, on this

Topic! And, NO! I cant take less drugs! [ I hope you mean

medication?!] . And NO! I dont like fishing. Hurting animals,

I cant do. Kicking human butt, I can do :D

... Doc, as you might remember, I have to rely on friends,

for posting my photos, here. Memphis Flash [ god bless :D ]

needs to post some RCA Vaults goodies first [ surprise, Flash!],

and starting up, yet another Topic, is a bit too much, for

me to do. But we will get there. Dont worry!

...All others, thanks for your support! Its FUN!

Thu May 25, 2006 6:21 pm

Deadringer - i wasn't being personal. There's obviously more to this debate than meets the eye - maybe you guys should sort it out in private though?

Andrew

Re: THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Thu May 25, 2006 8:16 pm

Keep up the good work, Ger, et al.

I agree with Doc: we do really need the MDQ in a deluxe, upgraded version.

Ger, your write-up about seeing Elvis enter the stage in '76 really is a knock-out and sums up what most of us would feel if we had been there (only some of you did also see him live.)

It reminded me a bit of the footage live from '75 I posted here the other day, where he comes out on the stage, hooks his hands in and just "is" Elvis Presley, without singing a word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB0RCkV3JWo&search=Elvis

That was a curse too, as Greil Marcus has written. (Something along the lines of how do you create art when all you have to do is just show up and be you?

Here is the link about that footage:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... THE FIRST TIME... [ Vic-3]

Intermission is over.

Lights dimm... 2001 sets in!

People in the Hilton Showroom whisper nervously...

The band Rocks!

My heart beats like a kettledrum!

The curtain goes up slowely. Our eyes go from the left

to the right... Tadada Tada Daaa!

The band plays at fever pitch! Loud, really loud!

Im shaking. Im so nervous, dont know where to

look anymore!... My lady smiles at me. She understands.

Out of the right corner, from behind the curtain, He enters

the stage! Godallmighty! HE IS FOR REAL!

My head explodes!

This is not a film, Im watching! Hes there, in front of us!

EEEELLLLVVVIIISSSS!!!

He slowely walks towards the centre, of the stage. Smiling,

his thumbs, resting in the chains of his belt. He looks a

million bucks! Pompadour, and all.

Hes so incredibly good looking. And sooo coool!

Absorbing all these emotions, overpower me!

I nearly slide off my chair!

Im knocked out. And he hasnt opened his mouth, yet!...

......... To be Continued...

Mike C. thanks again for mentioning that book on bootlegs which you've mentioned before. It's on my "to get" list. Here's the cover of the original 1995 version. There is now a 2004 update, with a new subtitle:

ImageImage

Bootleg: The Secret History of the Other Recording Industry aka
Bootleg: The Rise and Fall of the Secret Recording Indusry
New York: St. Martin's Press, June 1995 1st ed. (hb)
Description: 442 p., 23.5 cm. with B/W photos of many bootleg albums & CD's.

Notes: A detailed history of the popular music bootleg recording industry, from the first bootleg Dylan album (Great White Wonder) in 1969 until July 1994. Contains many interviews of insiders in the industry, including many who produced Dylan boots. Chronicles the evolution of international laws targeting the illicit trade, and reviews the content and importance of many boots of artists such as Dylan, the Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Springsteen, and many others. Includes a glossary, Heylin's list of the top 100 boots for 60 different artists, a bibliography, notes, and index. Essential for anyone who wants to find out about this underground industry.

This book was first published in the UK as The Great White Wonders: A History of Rock Bootlegs (image on the left), where it won the Record Collector award for Best Book of the Year.

Subjects: Bootleg recording industry

ISBN: 0-312-13031-7; HB $29.95 US, $39.95 Canada

Review: David Fricke, of Rolling Stone magazine: "...highly entertaining" Peter Doggett of Record Collector magazine: "...a fresh perspective" and "...it's a damn good read." Hot Wacks: "...if you're interested in bootlegs, you'll enjoy this book."

Thu May 25, 2006 8:39 pm

Ger do you still have contact with Vic ?

Do you know if he's still involved with Elvis at any level
or did the 80's do him in ?

Out of curiosity did you know him by his real name back then
and did you call him by his real name when you talked to him
privately?

Was there anything that you saw, heard or knew about from his
collection waiting to be released which did not end up getting released because of the bust of 81'?

If there was, do you happen to know did it eventually get released
by someone else or was it lost forever?

PEP 8)

Re: THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Thu May 25, 2006 9:45 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Keep up the good work, Ger, et al.

It reminded me a bit of the footage live from '75 I posted here the other day, where he comes out on the stage, hooks his hands in and just "is" Elvis Presley, without singing a word:

I just Looked at the ‘75 footage, and indeed, only Elvis could dress up like a complete idiot, [what a faggoty suit, with the puffy sleeves!!] and get away with it ! after all those years it still amazes me, I don’t think there will be ever one quite like him ....

Thu May 25, 2006 9:47 pm

I'm no big fan of that suit, but short of being literally in drag like he was in "Girl Happy" in one scene, Elvis never looked "faggoty" and could pull off virtually any suit. I've heard people put down his "Elvis On Tour" suits from '72 but to me, it was iconic and he pulled it off. No one else could.

And it was the '70s, too! Take a look at Alice Cooper, Elton John, David Bowie and others at that time and get back to me about "idiotic" suits! No one holds them up to such ridicule. It's show business! Today, artists look like they just finished a game of hoops in their backyard or just rolled off their couch. People pay for a show. Costumes are okay!

I think he looks rather regal here, but I've never liked the collar thing and as someone on that site mentioned, it's the famed "puffy shirt" of "Seinfeld" fame. :lol:

Back to bootlegs!

KempoDick wrote:
And ehh..... Ger, what was your boss thinking when he made this cover :smt016

:smt103 :smt038
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri May 26, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thu May 25, 2006 9:53 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I'm no big fan of that suit, but short of being literally in drag like he was in "Girl Happy" in one scene, Elvis never looked "faggoty" and could pull off virtually any suit. I've heard people put down his "Elvis On Tour" suits from '72 but to me, it was iconic and he pulled it off. No one else could.

And it was the '70s, too! Take a look at Alice Cooper, Elton John, David Bowie and others at that time and get back to me about "idiotic" suits! No one holds them up to such ridicule. It's show business! Today, artists look like they just finished a game of hoops in their backyard or just rolled off their couch. People pay for a show. Costumes are okay!

I think he looks rather regal here, but I've never liked the collar thing and as someone on that site mentioned, it's the famed "puffy shirt" of "Seinfeld" fame. :lol:

Back to bootlegs!

Yep you are right, didn't mean to put 'm down, it was my first thought when viewing the clip ... back to boot's indeed !

Thu May 25, 2006 9:57 pm

Yeah, but personally, rare footage of the king in action at any stage is no more or less interesting than often-outdated-"you-had-to-be-there" bootleg vinyl releases, to be frank, and get back to Keith Flynn's original point earlier.

Not to stink up the nostalgia-fest or anything.

Carry on. It's a good education. I hope someone's printing up Ger's stories because this server cannot be 100%. Many a good thread went kaput here in the past.

Between the bootleg book mentioned above, the threads here, past and present Elvis fan magazines, there's surely a book about Elvis bootleggers that could be writen in the future by a historian.

Fri May 26, 2006 12:32 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Between the bootleg book mentioned above, the threads here, past and present Elvis fan magazines, there's surely a book about Elvis bootleggers that could be writen in the future by a historian.

Yes! I'd buy at least ten copies of that book!

Like I've said before, Sony/BMG should be thankful to the bootleggers. Without those old bootlegs, I don't think there would be so many hardcore fans as there are now. The bootleggers kept the flame alive. (I wasn't there in the '80s but I've done my homework!)

Keith Richards, Jr.

them damn bootlegs

Fri May 26, 2006 8:15 pm

... A few answers, before I go back into more hardcore nostalgia,

sometime tomorrow... PEP, yes sure I called Vic by his real name.

But I dont use it here, cause Im not sure if he would appreciate,

all the attention?... No idea, what hes up to these days? Last time,

we met, was in 97, in Memphis. His partner, from the old days, had

asked him, to come over, and join up with us. That was the last

time... Never heard from him again. Really hope hes still around,

somewhere...?

No, nothing was left untouched. Some of the unreleased tapes,

at the time, have all made it to Europe, and all have been released.

...Gregory and Keith, Somebody has already picked up on the

idea, of writing the definitive book on Elvis boots. Its about the

records, and not the people behind them! For the better, I think...?

I dont know, if he found a publisher interested yet? If he does,

Im sure, hes gonna let us know. And NO! Its not my boss.

... A question, to you, guys. On the topic "From Sunset Blvd..."

an Aussie, by the name of Ray, mentioned the FTD release, of

The Pittsburgh NYE 76, is less in quality, compared to the

old boots. I dont know. I sold the double vinyl - original-, and

Mac cd [ in fold out cardboard sleeve ] , ages ago.

According to Ray, all labels involved, used the same source...!?

Any thoughts on this?

The original, was a Vic Colonna product, released circa march 77.

I doubt, later releases used his cassette tape, for mastering ?!

Far as I know, the Mac cd was made from a mint vinyl copy.

Fri May 26, 2006 9:18 pm

Ger,
At the time of the FTD release of "New Years Eve," FECC was roiled with dissenters who decried the "sizzing" sound in spots throughout what was said to be the same exact ("Herman"?) tape.

Long-time fans claimed their vinyl and CD boots did not feature this. It was quite a controversy.

I was one of those innocents who heard the concert first on FTD...so I had no complaints what were to me just a few moments here and there on a great package, albeit sans liner notes, as usual.

A book on Elvis bootlegs would be great. This is one of the best books going for now and I look forward to a third edition in the future. I'm sure a vinyl bootleg-focused book could be done with more background on each title, but this is a killer book, too.

Elvis For Everyone- By David Parker
This discography provides data on the complete releases - official and unofficial - made by Elvis Presley throughout his whole career. The book contains 600 colour sleeves along with information about the recordings on each album with detailed track-by-track information.

While it's necessarily not a complete guide (that would be a huge book), it's more than enough!

Re: them damn bootlegs

Fri May 26, 2006 9:20 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:an Aussie, by the name of Ray, mentioned the FTD release, of The Pittsburgh NYE 76, is less in quality, compared to the old boots

The FTD quality is fine. It is supposedly sourced from the master reels made by John Herman, and the tape is definitely more complete than any of the bootleg releases.

The problem with the FTD edition is a likely mastering error, ruining the audio on several of the songs. No one has officially confirmed this, but it could be a reason the set sells for the cost of a single disc.

If anyone notices the problem rectified on later pressings, please let us know!

DJC

Fri May 26, 2006 9:25 pm

ImageImage

Yes, that's how it was. Although all other two-disc sets that followed also went for the "lean" price of about $30... :shock:

What a show, I have to say. I'm such a Pittsburgh fan that I'd love to get all the other versions of it.

And how about that new site devoted to it?

http://www.elvicities.com/~jeanno/

There's something about the "what if" factor about a man staring down what could have been a "turnaround year" (well, not really but you could imagine it...) but sadly his final triumph, too.

Like you said here recently, DJC, you heard that disc exactly a year later, as the sad year of '77 ended. I remember feeling sad that Elvis wouldn't be around for the new year (he came up a lot as they remembered the year) but to hear that boot on NYE of '77-78 would have been something else...

Regarding the appeal of bootlegs and specifically vinyl bootlegs (see Scatter's love letter and Ger's swoon above) and Keith Flynn's earlier "I don't get it, guys" comment about vinyl nostalgia, I 've been thinking that the fact that this stuff was illegal :shock: 8) was part of what made it so "sexy" for the lack of a better term.

The rush described seems related to the "illicit" aspect of hearing Elvis material "you are not supposed to have...!"...coupled often with outstanding boffo artwork and you can see why people gush. Plus, it was all so "new" to those of you at the time. Our earliest "adventures" even in hobbies continue to resonate years later as our adult lives take over or plod on, as the case may be. :lol:

Today's newer fans may get some part of that now, certainly, but for you wax-fans, especially when the guy was ALIVE (let alone selling it in the lobby of the hotel he was playing in or at least down the street!) , now that's something to be nostalgic about!
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri May 26, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 26, 2006 9:35 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:... the fact that this stuff was illegal was part of what made it so "sexy" ...

That is true, and always has been, but the material being issued at that time (1977-1980) was so incendiary, revelatory and unique, when compared to the garbage being issued by RCA, was a BIG reason the LPs were so desireable. As Dylan might've said, something was happening here.

DJC

Fri May 26, 2006 9:41 pm

That's true.

I was still digesting all of Elvis' original album catalog (or sometimes as singles) from the '70s into the '80s, so I suppose if you had collected every last official article, you'd be ready for "new" stuff from RCA, big time.

I bought - and enjoyed "He Walks Beside Me" in '78 (great booklet in that thing) but an older, hard-core fan like yourself knew that RCA was already in "duplication" mode with all but one or two rare cuts.

It's no wonder the bootleg world, said: "screw it. We can't wait."

Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:It's no wonder the bootleg world, said: "screw it. We can't wait."
Or we are sitting on some great stuff! Lets make some moola!!

Sat May 27, 2006 1:47 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I bought - and enjoyed "He Walks Beside Me" in '78 (great booklet in that thing) but an older, hard-core fan like yourself knew that RCA was already in "duplication" mode with all but one or two rare cuts.

That was the first LP RCA put out after Oct '77's Elvis In Concert.

When I saw "Padre" in the second slot on side two, I knew RCA had not a clue in the world about their most important artist.

And I wasn't the only one, luckily.

DJC