All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed May 10, 2006 6:40 pm

It was Oven's site for me too!

During the war, I mean the Sixth Form, we'd all get free periods and we were supposed to study. Forget that! If we weren't playing our own creation of football and handball in room 74, me and a couple of mates would sneak into the computer rooms and surf the net.

This was forbidden by Mr. Peters, the stern head of dept, who would growl under his 'tache that the PCs were for study use only before kicking us out. I lost count of the number of times we got shouted at. God only knows what would have happened if he'd realised how much I was printing off; I've still got folders full of Peters' paper.

But there's always good guys as well as the baddies, and our saviours were kind ol' Mr. Silver and Chris the technician, who were both sometime Elvis fans. We knew it was free entry when they were in town. In fact, Chris lent me a copy of There's Always Me IV to copy.

My first boot was From Sunset Blvd To Paradise Rd, and it remains one of my faves. I couldn't believe such fascinating, quality material could be out there unofficially and when I found out where I could lay my hands on them I was thrilled.

Wed May 10, 2006 7:03 pm

I got the first Profile set 10 years ago this summer from the UK fan club. I read a review in their magazine and thought 'I've got to have this!' Obviously i didn't have a clue where to get it, (being a 16 year old A level student lol), so i gave them a call and was amazed to find that they had one in stock.

I had bought the 60s and 70s sets when they came out and picked up the 50s set and Collector's Gold the year before - so i was into the alternate stuff i had heard on there. I guess once i heard these boots were out there i was curious and once i started hearing them i wanted to hear more.

So i spent the next year finding out what was out there from various sources - I had no internet then!! - like Sessions 2, the Fan Club mag, various catalogues etc. It was great though to find there was so much interesting material out there - and nice to pick the brains of various people who pointed me in the right direction of places to get these CDs.

Andrew

Wed May 10, 2006 7:10 pm

The first one I bought, was Back In Portland in 1989. I got it from another fan who was selling his vinyl stuff. It was a bit of a disappointment due to the sound quality. After that, I stayed off boots for a few years.

During the mid-90s, my local radio station used to have an Elvis Hour on Sundays. They played tracks from recent boots, as well as BMG stuff.

I wrote them, and they helped me find a dealer. The first two I got hold of then, were Just Pretend and American Crown Jewels (the latter one had just come out at the time). I remember hoping that a show named Just Pretend would be a 70- or 71 show, and I was disappointed when it turned out to be from '75. The sound was amazing, though, and I learned to enjoy the concert after a while.

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Wed May 10, 2006 7:39 pm

... Hammerkick, youre making me all sentimental! Back in 68, when I

was a 16 year young kiddo, my parents moved from Amsterdam, to

a small town, just outside of Gorinchem. I would take the train to

Dordrecht, almost every saturday, on the look out for old comic strips,

in the Sjors shop, and to the Bengel, for Dylan bootlegs! Maybe my

memory plays tricks on me, but I like to believe, it was there, in 1970,

where I picked up I Wanna Be... ! The Bengel... the place to go for

boots, and underground mags and comic books! 8)

The value of that old historical album, can be anything from a 100 euris

to $ 300 on e- bay... Thanks for posting! Brings back a heap of good

memories :D

Wed May 10, 2006 8:01 pm

jak wrote:If I had to choose between my boot collection and my RCA/BMG I would go with the boots!

Without a doubt, the boots would win hands down.

The first I ever bought was in the late 70's. Rockin' With Elvis New Year's Eve.

I had never seen an album cover that pretty before. After that, the bootleg frenzy began. I bought several from a place in New York called The King's Voice.

The Last Farewell, Elvis Presley Is Alive And Well And Singing In Las Vegas, From Las Vegas To Niagara Falls, Live In Atlanta December 30, 1976, The Hillbilly Cat Live and many more.

The only one I was ever disappointed with was a little rip-off called Live On Stage In Las Vegas August 1972. It turned out to be songs from Aloha and Madison Square Garden.

I also collected about 600 audience recorded concerts on cassette tape in the early 80's (and glad to get them...all of you spoiled newbies who constantly complain about the sound the FTD's).

In the early 90's, I suffered bigtime from Elvis burnout. I got rid of all of the vinyl and tossed most of the cassettes. I kept a few of the good sounding shows, but there weren't very many. A few years later, I peeked my head in to see what was happenin'. Thanks to a guy by the name of Ernst, I got interested again. More so than ever. My import collection has grown into the hundreds.

Someday, someone is going to have a pretty good sized collection on their hands. I'm going to have to leave some kind of instructions so that my CD's and DVD's will not end up in a garage sale somewhere.

I may will them to someone on this board so you all had better start being a little nicer to me.

Great topic, Ger.
Last edited by Rob on Thu May 11, 2006 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 10, 2006 8:11 pm

Rob, I've noticed that many fans have sold their vinyl, both bootlegs and official. I can't understand that. The vinyl era was pretty much dead when I became interested in music, but that didn't stop me from buying vinyl records every now and then. I still do. Vinyl is cool!

Here are some sweet vinyl bootlegs:

http://www.elvisvinyl.com/bootleg_lps_r.htm

http://www.elvisvinyl.com/bootleg_lps_s.htm

"Radio Recorders Revisited", "The Rockin' Rebel", "Rough Cut Diamonds", "Shock, Rattle'N'Roll", "Special Delivery"... Those covers are beautiful.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed May 10, 2006 8:17 pm

I think I cannot describe in a understandable way, the impact of the first time I saw a bootleg. It was in the late 90´s, early 2000 when browsing the net, I found a page with a list of many CDs, most concert records. I could not believe that such great amount of material was avaliable. Untill then, I only had the oficial releases, wich were far and few by that time, here in Brazil. Being a fan of Elvis live performances, I was blow away by the sheer amount of live concerts. As a teenager back then, I dreamed with the possibility of more live recording existing. I remember thinking how a concert in 1976 was like, or one in 1971. So you can imagine how impressed I was with all this new world.
I soon started to look for those records and after spent much time searching, I found someone who could make me a copy (CD-R) of Run On.
I recognize now that it was not the best way to start ( crap sound, bad show...) but I was F-A-C-I-N-A-T-E-D. It felt like they have opened the doors of a new world for me.
Some time later, I found my way into this import world and could finally acquire the first real one, and wich became my favorite of all time:

What a Killer concert and amazing sound. The cover matched the content perfectly and is stuck on my mind till this day. Besides the great content, Hot Winter also proved that Elvis could still delivery the goods right untill the end, something I was led to believe the contrary.

TCB,

Sergio Luiz

Wed May 10, 2006 8:21 pm

ElvisInNorway wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:....Then I started to browse the Internet for information and discovered Oven Egeland's great site Elvis In Norway. My fascination grew as I read about all these weird soundboards listed on that site. In fact, I became so fascinated that I bought "A Life In Music" and after that I was a lost cause. I.....
Thank you, Oven. Thank you, Ernst. Thank you, bootleggers.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thanks Keith.

Nice to hear this. In fact my first experience with bootlegs was one of the main reason why I started my own web-page....

/.../

However, back to my site. My bad experience was part of the reason why I decided to create my own page. Personally I found that other sites was too positive on Elvis releases. Almost everything was "good", "great" and "fantastic" etc... The reality was - in my view - more varied and balanced. I think there are/were really bad bootlegs, bad bootlegs, uninteresting bootlegs and so on. Severals of the kind that you don't want new Elvis fans to accidentially get their hands on, under the false believe that it is actually good. So it kind of became my "duty" to tell the real story..:-)

And you're still doing a great job, man. Your site is still the one I always use when I need to get information about a CD or when I just want to read about a show or CD I already have. I appreciate the fact that you don't give 10/10 to every single release.

Keep up the good work!

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Wed May 10, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 10, 2006 8:22 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Rob, I've noticed that many fans have sold their vinyl, both bootlegs and official. I can't understand that.

If it helps at all, I didn't sell them. I gave them away.

Doh! :x

Wed May 10, 2006 8:24 pm

Rob wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Rob, I've noticed that many fans have sold their vinyl, both bootlegs and official. I can't understand that.

If it helps at all, I didn't sell them. I gave them away.

Doh! :x

Doh indeed!! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed May 10, 2006 8:26 pm

The first boot I acquired - bought from Virgin in the very early seventies - was "I Wanna Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star".

Wed May 10, 2006 8:35 pm

The first bootleg I bought was "The Last Live Session", though it wasn't a real bootleg since it was sold in a supermarket. I never heard of audience taped shows before, so I was quite disappointed. A little later I got Fort Baxter's "Just Pretend" and I was really exited. I knew only the official rca releases, but this was something different! I started to visit our local record fair and found out about all the nice stuff, that rca and bmg didn't release. Because I collected mostly live recordings I got to know a complete different Elvis, than the image epe/bmg tried to sell me.

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Wed May 10, 2006 8:37 pm

... Ha! Now were talking, Sergio! This Hot Winter cover, was inspired by

Hot August Night, a Neil Diamond live album... Ive seen comments, on

this mb, saying, it was a crappo design. Bilko, Baxter, 2001, and their

sisters and brothers, had their ups and downs, in design. I agree. But

seeing this baby, on the screen, makes me all gooey, inside! Its like a

lost son, returning home... A hanky, anybody...?

Wed May 10, 2006 9:22 pm

I remember reading in the fan magazine Elvisions a comment about the This Is Elvis album. It offered nothing new for those who own bootlegs. I had no idea what that meant and looked it up in the dictionary but mine (Kramer's) didn't mention the word bootleg.

The first Elvis bootleg I remember buying in hindsight is There's Always Me Vol 1. At the time it never crossed my mind it was a bootleg because I was familiar with buying Rockabilly Cd's from small labels all the time which I now know are alle bootlegs too. The next There's Always Me volumes I didn't buy, although I had the chance, because it didn't contain 50's material.

Only because of internet I became aware of bootlegs meaning illegal Cd's. Illegal is always interesting! As it turned out I already owned a lot bootlegs, mainly Rockabilly and Classic Country compilations. Thanks to the reviews of this site and Elvis in Norway I've started to hunt done some specific bootlegs (and FTD as well because I never noticed them before coming to the internet).

Luckily I'm not into soundboards that much and money is not a real issue so now, after catching for about 3 years, I own almost all Elvis bootlegs that appeal to me based on the reviews. That's not that much though (about 20 I guess) but it gives me great pleasure that I succeeded to get them all (but 2 actually but these will come someday).

I'm especially happy to own Adios for historical content. I also like The Brightest Star On Sunset Boulevard Cd's and Opening Night '69. My current favourite is 24 Carat Gold which Ibought just a couple of weeks ago.

Reading forums like these actually is bad for me because I start to buy releases I usually would never buy. I already have more 70's stuff than I actually need and also bought all Legendary Performer Cd's (except Vol. 5 on which I've passed some times nd now actually want after all). For me that's strange because I don't like to listen to Cd's that much that contain material from 50's all the way to the 70's (too different, I'm either in the mood for 50's or early 60's or 69 up till 77, never all at once) and I certainly can do without the interviews. It seems like an arrogant crime however to pass up on Cd's other fans are willing topay top dollar for.

So if someone wants to sell me A Hot Winter Nght In Dallas and A Legendary Performer Vol. 5 I'll be even more happy' :lol: .

I'm also hoping for U.S. Male (the Camden album) to be released on Cd because it brings back fond memories of my recently deceased grandmother who turned me into Elvis when I was in elementary school (mid 70's). I do have the album but it's more convenient to play Cd's because I'm too neurotic about handling vinyl with care.

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Wed May 10, 2006 9:42 pm

... Ahh, you is such a gentlleman, Steve! I have always admired you for

your wit, and for being such a nice bloke. The Label names... I can speak

freely on this subject. Its my boss, living the good life, in the Baxter

Penthouse, nearby, who came up with the names, for the labels...

One morning, doing my work, as a bus boy, in his penthouse [ known

at the time, as the Laurel Building] , he called me to his office, and

asked for any suggestions, for a Record Label name. I told him, back

in the 50s, there was a half hour comedy show, on both American

and English TV, called the Phil Silver Show.

It was about a Sergeant, in the American Army, by the name of

Ernie Bilko. A hustler supreme! My boss, always in for a quick buck

himself, right away, loved the Bilko character. "Lets name the label

Sergeant Bilko Records!" I agreed, it wasnt a bad choice...

After a while, with million topping sales, my boss, wanted to expand,

and start a sister label... "It has to be connected, to the old Sergeant",

he said. Thats when Fort Baxter was born. It was the name of the

Army camp, where Sergeant Bilko was stationed, back then...

There was even talks, to name yet another new label: Private

Doberman Records. After one of the soldiers, in Bilkos Platoon...

I told my boss, he was taking the joke, a little too far. So it was

decided, to launch: 2001.

When I sweap the floors, in his penthouse, every morning, and stare

at all them Gold records, on his office wall, I think, "I was there, when

Elvis History, was written..."

Re: THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Wed May 10, 2006 9:57 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Hammerkick, youre making me all sentimental! Back in 68, when I was a 16 year young kiddo, my parents moved from Amsterdam, to a small town, just outside of Gorinchem. I would take the train to Dordrecht, almost every saturday, on the look out for old comic strips,in the Sjors shop, and to the Bengel, for Dylan bootlegs! Maybe my memory plays tricks on me, but I like to believe, it was there, in 1970,where I picked up I Wanna Be... ! The Bengel... the place to go for boots, and underground mags and comic books!

Hi Ger,
well,that's great to hear,that you know,,De Bengel,,.The shop is still there,on the Voorstraat in Dordrecht,on the same adress !! :D

Wed May 10, 2006 10:01 pm

I saw and heard my first bootleg from a friend -in the middle 70's at a time when - I had not even heard all the officially released tracks at that time. My first boots were " Behind Closed Doors" and " Rockin Rebel" -which I promptly copied onto a cassette as the LPs never played well in the heat and dust. Later things like " The entertainer" from Rare Rooster Records, whose sleeve notes and credits , still make me smile :D

It was in the early 80's that a Dutch fan- travelling around the world dropped in on me -and wrote an article in the " its Elvis time" about how difficult it was for fans in the 3rd world to get Elvis' material. Then a whole host of Dutch fans - some of whom are still my friends - started helping me complete my collection. And surprisngly a few from UK also wrote to me, how they understood the Dutch I never asked and still dont know. When I could not find stuff to exchange/ trade I had to buy dollars from the local smuggler - a dangerous business - at a huge mark up, as we could not even convert the local money officially :(

Frustrating thing was after going through all that jazz often LPs and other fancy stuff - never got to me. I then started making friends(bribing!) postmen and other postal workers to help trace or expedite parcels that used to otherwise lie for months :evil: in the customs department or simply went missing.

In the nineties I made a deal with Todd Slaughters outfit for "Import CDs" - and got them regularly till they stopped and I got tired of the club
ah memories.....

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Wed May 10, 2006 10:53 pm

... Todd, operated, when there was this Danish law thing, about no

copyright,when the music was 25 years, or older. Something like that.

Todd, would never do any hanky panky... :wink:

Wed May 10, 2006 11:02 pm

The immense value of the bootleg releases in the 1976-1987 period cannot be underestimated. RCA, especially right after Elvis' tragic death, did not serve the needs of Presley fans very well at all.

It wasn't until the 1980 issue of the Elvis Aron Presley box that some tacit admission of fans love for underground releases was clear. We wanted to know more, we wanted to hear more, but only the "private" 45 and LP releases helped us.

Among my first purchases in 1977 were The Legend Lives On, Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do!, Dorsey Shows, From The Waist Up (with a cool B&W poster by some obscure talent ... ) and Rockin' With Elvis New Year's Eve.

I'll never forget sitting at home on December 31, 1977, listening to Elvis on stage in Pittsburgh just ONE year previous, sounding so excellent. It was so sad, and confusing.

In 1978 came the Chicken 101 45 of "That's All Right"/"Blue Moon of Kentucky" in GREAT quality, from October 16, 1954 (wow!!) and then the two ESSENTIAL double LPs from Audifon called The Burbank Sessions Vol. 1 (with B&W photo booket of 6/27 performances) and Vol. 2 (with 6/29 ticket fascimiles!). Also that year, the amazing Rockin' Rebel series began, with Vols. 1 and 2.

Lesser LPs, but still fun, included Eternal Elvis (remember that "leather" cover edition?) and Cadillac Elvis. Where was all this stuff coming from? Was RCA asleep?

In early 1979, the 4 LP Behind Closed Doors set (costing amost $20 -- I could barely afford it) appeared on Audifon, and really blew my mind. The live and studio 1969/1970 material was a joyous revelation! Meanwhile, RCA was issuing albums with "Colonel" Parker on the cover.

The 80s saw the US import fellows get busted, but Europe picked up the slack in 1982 with numerous gorgeous LPs from Laurel, Pink & Black, Bilko and others. The 1986 Shock, Rattle and Roll album (with huge B&W booklet!!) remains a treasure, as does Elvis Rocks and the Girls Roll (with upgraded audio of the 6/24/68 dressing room rehearsal). "You know what it takes, you got it, baby!"

Only with the arrival of Ernst (with some kudos to Gregg Geller's tenure) did it seem like the tide was finally turning to the fans. And now, with FTDs, we are getting an incredible amount of Presley material.

So I guess we've come full circle. But I'll never forget the thrill of hearing something like "Black Star" (from the Bilko EP) which had never even been a rumoured recording, or the pure SUN material heard on Good Rockin' Tonight (Bopcat 101). Those were the days, my friend.

DJC

Wed May 10, 2006 11:05 pm

Somewhere in the beginning of the 80`s I had all official Elvis LP`s and stuff so I decided to write to a Fan Club and asking for an addy where I can order bootlegs..
Well I got one and so it started.
My first one was Elvis The Enertainer followed by From The Waist Up, Dorsey Shows and The Hillbilly Cat Live.
I still have about 50 of these gems...including all the 68 Comeback stuff,
Behind Cosed Doors (the Queen of bootegs), Pittsburg 76, Rockin With Elvis April Fool`s Day and many others.
Many times I wanted to sell them (I still intendto do it) but I just don`t
have the guts..lol..

Wed May 10, 2006 11:18 pm

Sometime in the seventies , I think it was BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. I use to get catalogs though the mail and they had them in it. I also got(and stiil have) THE NEW YEAR EVE CONCET, THE HAWAIIAN CONCERT and a bunch of others. I take it back....I think it was the two tv special outakes. Both double records with the concerts. Either that or THE LEGEND LIVES ON. It is hard to remember what was first.

I just remembered it was The origianl ROCK MY SOUL! I found it at a used record store that had just opened! It had a white sleeve with a paper insert with a picture from TROUBLE WITH GIRLS! The record was multi colored and it was mostly ELVIS ON TOUR.

Thu May 11, 2006 12:03 am

What a wonderful topic.

My story seems to mirror the Doc's a bit. I figured my local record haunt would not have anything new that I didn't have already Elvis-wise for the Christmas season. (I want to say 77, but it might have been 78.) Walking into the store, I saw a copy of an Elvis LP in the front of the LP rack I had never seen before. It was a was a copy of "Rockin....New Years" for 12.98. I grabbed the LP immediately, and held on for dear life! I then noticed in his understock section below the racks of LP's, a few other titles I had never seen before. The owner of the store took notice and came over and told me he could not sell me the LP I had in my hands. He tried to explain that I wouldn't want this LP because the sound was not as good as a regular LP. I didn't care, but in hindsight, I believe he was concerned because I was so young (early teens) at the time. After we discussed this awhile, he agreed that if I would allow him to explain things to my mom, that he would sell me any of the strange LP's I wanted.

For $35 I bought as a group:

The Dorsey Shows
From the Waist Up
Got a Lot of Livin to Do
The 68 Comback
The Legend Lives on

and Rockin 2LP set for another 12.98. I didn't have the money for all of them, so Mom agreed to give me difference as a Christmas gift!

This was the beginning of a great relationship, as I was able to buy many of the boot LP's (ave price 7.98) as soon as they came out. He later sold me a paperback edition of the 1978 reprint of "Recording Sessions" by you know who!) which I kept re-reading from cover-to-cover...warping my mind at an early age salivating over what Elvis recordings were in the vaults.

By the way, my copy of "From the Waist Up" also contained a great B/W poster of Elvis and Ed Sullivan, which was one of the first Elvis posters to grace my bedroom walls. Thanks to this "obscure artist" for his wonderful contribution to this great LP! (There was even a red sticker on the cover that announced the poster inside!) My dad made me cover up Ed Sullivan's dialogue bubble with a small piece of paper, in order to not offend any of my schoolmates that might visit. The "B" word was still considered pretty risque at the time, at least in my house.

I still have those LP's today. Sentimental reasons I guess...

Thu May 11, 2006 1:14 am

My first bootleg was 'Rock My Soul' which I guess I bought circa 1978. I think I paid £10.00 for it. It was like lots of the boots around at that time by other artists - just a white cardboard sleeve with a wrap-around paper insert. Everything on the LP came from the 'On Tour' soundtrack.

I also got 'Colonel Parker's Boy' around the same time. This had the same kind of crude packaging.

After that the floodgates opened - 'Behind Closed Doors', 'A Dog's Life', the three 'Rockin' Rebel' LP's, 'From The Waist Up, 'The Dorsey Shows'. They were all much better than the LP's RCA were putting out. The material was better (and rare!) and the sleeve designs were excellent. I almost shat myself when I first saw the fold-out 'Rockin' Rebel Vol.1' LP. Holy moly! That picture of Deke Rivers just blew me away!

Today some of the better bootlegs (and I'm thinking of the Madison releases) are beating FTD hands down with their attention to detail and cool booklet designs. So nothing's changed. Why can't FTD give us fans product as good as these guys do?

I've still got every bootleg I ever bought - on both LP and CD (and well as 45s) and I'll never ever part with them. They represent a very special part of my Elvis collection.

My hat is off to those wonderful, wonderful people behind Audifon, Bilko, Fort Baxter, Golden Archives, Laurel, Madison and so on. They are the people who have really helped keep our man's true legacy alive.

Thu May 11, 2006 4:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Among my first purchases in 1977 were The Legend Lives On, Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do!, Dorsey Shows, From The Waist Up (with a cool B&W poster by some obscure talent ... ) and Rockin' With Elvis New Year's Eve.

I had completely forgotten about The Legend Lives On, Doc. I had that one as well. That is, if it is the one with him in white appearing to be leaning against the wall. A very good picture of him.

Thu May 11, 2006 6:16 am

Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu May 11, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.