All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Mon May 22, 2006 8:54 am

... TJ, man you just opened a can of memories!

1967, indeed! My brother and I, visited a huge Elvis & Rock n Roll

collector, living in Amsterdam as well. He was one of the guys, who

contributed articles for Rockville, a Dutch r n r magazine. I believe,

Cees Klop, was one of the editors. Cees started his own record

label, later on, and its still running!

While listening to a stack of original Sun Recordings, by the likes

of Billy Lee Riley, and Carl Perkins, [ first time ever, we eyed original

Sun 45s!] , Our host, Stan is his name, pulled out a sleeveless

album... Put it on the record player... and Whammo! Elvis singing

Fame and Fortune... Live!!!

Followed by Stuck On You, and excerpts from the Ed Sullivan Shows!

This was all new to our ears... Elvis Live! My god, can you imagine,

1967... the sadness, having to live on a diet of crappo movies,

and than, in Stans little hobby room, you get to hear this incredible

live stuff, for the first time ever! 8)

It was cut onto [ I think, an acetate] , so I dont know, if it counts

as an official boot?... Probably, only a few copies made... for the

incrowd?! .... Them damn Dutchies! :D

Mon May 22, 2006 9:46 am

Very nice list Pat 8)

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Mon May 22, 2006 9:50 am

Thanks for posting, Mike.

Maybe, it was a co production, between Richard & Vic...?

When I met up again, with Vic, in the early 80s, his spare bedroom,

housed several boxes with the GS album...

I heard Richard took his own life. Either in jail, or shortly after he

got out :( ... Any truth in that story?

Richard Minor, was a very nice guy. Dammit! Most of the Boot Yanks

were good dudes. They knew the risk, but their punishment was

way over the top!

Pat, thanks for your list! It helps, dating the US boots.

Mon May 22, 2006 10:00 am

KempoDick wrote:Maybe he was inspired by this cover?

BTW Elvis seems to enjoy whatever is going on. :oops:

Holly molly. This is the first bootleg that I ever bought. I was 12 years old. Man that was exciting...

Re: THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Mon May 22, 2006 12:56 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... TJ, man you just opened a can of memories!

1967, indeed! My brother and I, visited a huge Elvis & Rock n Roll

collector, living in Amsterdam as well. He was one of the guys, who

contributed articles for Rockville, a Dutch r n r magazine. I believe,

Cees Klop, was one of the editors. Cees started his own record

label, later on, and its still running!

While listening to a stack of original Sun Recordings, by the likes

of Billy Lee Riley, and Carl Perkins, [ first time ever, we eyed original

Sun 45s!] , Our host, Stan is his name, pulled out a sleeveless

album... Put it on the record player... and Whammo! Elvis singing

Fame and Fortune... Live!!!

Followed by Stuck On You, and excerpts from the Ed Sullivan Shows!

This was all new to our ears... Elvis Live! My god, can you imagine,

1967... the sadness, having to live on a diet of crappo movies,

and than, in Stans little hobby room, you get to hear this incredible

live stuff, for the first time ever! 8)

It was cut onto [ I think, an acetate] , so I dont know, if it counts

as an official boot?... Probably, only a few copies made... for the

incrowd?! .... Them damn Dutchies! :D

Nice story Ger. Sounds like the Dutch were seriously ahead of the game :-) This thread is a real reminder of both the charm of vinyl (mainly the cool covers) and how exciting it was when outtakes and live songs were still hard to come by. There was a real spirit of discovery and every rare item was like a gem. New releases, even on FTD and bootleg, don't hold the same surprises. Still great to have though.

Mon May 22, 2006 2:29 pm

memphisflash wrote:
KempoDick wrote:About the worst bootleg I ever saw I have to say it's a CD release.
There are some pretty bad vinyl bootlegs around but I never ever saw a release that can be compared to "Slippin' and Slidin'".
This was the most shocking experience I ever had. Not because of the cover and not because of the recording.
It was the linernotes that upset me the most. How in the world can someone tell in the linernotes that there's never been an entertainer as bad as Elvis.
This is as sick as it gets. If you don't like Elvis than go out and buy some Beatles-crap, but don't write linernotes for an Elvis boot.
It's okay to be critical about Elvis, but don't say he's fat as long as he's slimmer than you are.

never seen that, could you put up a scan ?

It's this one Peter

BTW I "borrowed" the picture from http://www.elvis-presley-superstar.com I hope they don't mind.

Mon May 22, 2006 2:35 pm

KempoDick wrote:
memphisflash wrote:
KempoDick wrote:About the worst bootleg I ever saw I have to say it's a CD release.
There are some pretty bad vinyl bootlegs around but I never ever saw a release that can be compared to "Slippin' and Slidin'".
This was the most shocking experience I ever had. Not because of the cover and not because of the recording.
It was the linernotes that upset me the most. How in the world can someone tell in the linernotes that there's never been an entertainer as bad as Elvis.
This is as sick as it gets. If you don't like Elvis than go out and buy some Beatles-crap, but don't write linernotes for an Elvis boot.
It's okay to be critical about Elvis, but don't say he's fat as long as he's slimmer than you are.

never seen that, could you put up a scan ?

It's this one Peter

BTW I "borrowed" the picture from http://www.elvis-presley-superstar.com I hope they don't mind.

Thanks Kempo, but i meant the liner notes ...

Mon May 22, 2006 2:38 pm

:oops: I'll make you a scan later on this week (if I still have that bastard)

Mon May 22, 2006 2:45 pm

Cees Klop worked hard to get rare records. Upon visiting him he showed me singles of which only 1, 2 or at the most 3 copies existed. His "White Label" releases are legendary. Apart from that he is a very nice guy.
Oh those late sixties, early seventies. Meeting all these great guys. Being at an Elvis convention in Leicester and running into two other Dutchmen: Ger Ryff and his brother Lodewijk. Weekly visits to John Brus who had the latest and rare Elvis stuff. Rex Martin who had the same LP's over and over in mono and stereo from different countries. Those great Rotterdam Elvis fanmeetings (with rare footage!) each month organised by Ton van der Sluis and John Brus.

Mon May 22, 2006 6:01 pm

Something that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is how much of a thrill it was to hear Elvis on the 'Louisiana Hayride' - and we first heard such recordings on...bootlegs!

Nowadays you can pick these recordings up on zillions of cheap 'n' nasty CDs in supermarkets, but I remember so well how blown away I was when I first heard them on bootlegs. Anyone remember the Chicken 45?

Then I first heard the Eagles Nest show late one Sunday night after returning from one of Rex Martin's excellent shows. Lawdy miss clawdy! That was on 'The Rockin' Rebel Volume 2'.

Great times. The funny thing is, I can't ever recall getting so excited over any RCA album...

Mon May 22, 2006 6:09 pm

Tits McGhee wrote:Something that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is how much of a thrill it was to hear Elvis on the 'Louisiana Hayride' - and we first heard such recordings on...bootlegs!

Nowadays you can pick these recordings up on zillions of cheap 'n' nasty CDs in supermarkets, but I remember so well how blown away I was when I first heard them on bootlegs. Anyone remember the Chicken 45?

Then I first heard the Eagles Nest show late one Sunday night after returning from one of Rex Martin's excellent shows. Lawdy miss clawdy! That was on 'The Rockin' Rebel Volume 2'.

Great times. The funny thing is, I can't ever recall getting so excited over any RCA album...

The funny thing is that side A of the Chicken 45 ends with "And now we're gonna flip the record over" upon which the remainder of Elvis' part of the show is on the B side.

By the way, it is mentioned Elvis would be back later in the show. But that part has never been released! Was it recorded?

Mon May 22, 2006 6:18 pm

One of the most excited release is also the Million Dollar quartet. I think this one should be mentioned too.

Mon May 22, 2006 6:26 pm

First heard the Million Dollar Quartet boot at the back end of 1980 - almost 26 years ago! Today I saw the latest incarnation of it - the double CD on Snapper. Not interested, I'm afraid. But the original boot and the double that followed it from Germany - WOW! Now you're talking COOL stuff!

I'm with the crowd but oh so alone.

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Mon May 22, 2006 7:15 pm

... Later, Tits... :wink:

My son wants to do some games now...

When I was his age, 11, I had my first Elvis scrapbook finished!

Hes into football. Ajax and Arsenal are to him, what Elvis was to me.

That little bugger!

Mon May 22, 2006 8:08 pm

Ger, I think your input on this topic is very interesting. You should write a huge article about this for The Man And His Music!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon May 22, 2006 10:46 pm

Can anybody tell me if these records are considered to be bootlegs aswell?

Image Image Image

Mon May 22, 2006 11:21 pm

Tits McGhee wrote:First heard the Million Dollar Quartet boot at the back end of 1980 - almost 26 years ago! Today I saw the latest incarnation of it - the double CD on Snapper. Not interested, I'm afraid. But the original boot and the double that followed it from Germany - WOW! Now you're talking COOL stuff!

I'm with the crowd but oh so alone.

Oh Yeah!! A sensational release and the reason for sleepness nights until it arrived.

Tue May 23, 2006 12:03 am

Hey Kempo, surely the sleeve you displayed was only a mock-up by Sun International? Volume One? Stereo? I've seen it before but always thought it was just a Shelby Singleton mock-up prior to the boot coming out. As far as I recall Sun International never put it out.

When the MDQ first came out in '80 it was in a red sleeve designed by a mate of mine in Holland (ahem, ahem...)

Tue May 23, 2006 12:24 am

Tits McGhee wrote:Hey Kempo, surely the sleeve you displayed was only a mock-up by Sun International? Volume One? Stereo? I've seen it before but always thought it was just a Shelby Singleton mock-up prior to the boot coming out. As far as I recall Sun International never put it out.

When the MDQ first came out in '80 it was in a red sleeve designed by a mate of mine in Holland (ahem, ahem...)

You're right Tits.
The red sleeve was the first one. The sleeve I pictured does exist (I've had it in my hands), but it was never released. I don't know the exact story, but only a few survived.

Did you ever see this 4 LP boxset?

Tue May 23, 2006 12:31 am

Nope, never seen that. I remember Carl Perkins talking about Shelby Singleton planning to release the MDQ - this was before the boot came out. Perkins said that Singleton was going to overdub Nashville musicians onto the tapes. Can you imagine that?

I believe that's when the Sun International cover was prepared. Obviously the overdubs would have been recorded in stereo - that's why it said stereo on the cover. I personally can't see why Singleton thought he had the rights to the tapes in the first place. Elvis was an RCA artist in December '56. I realize it was taped at a Carl Perkins session, but that didn't automatically mean that Singleton (through him buying the Sun catalogue) owned the rights to put the MDQ out.

But thank God the bootleggers did!

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Tue May 23, 2006 10:11 am

... THE FIRST TIME... [ Vic-3]

Intermission is over.

Lights dimm... 2001 sets in!

People in the Hilton Showroom whisper nervously...

The band Rocks!

My heart beats like a kettledrum!

The curtain goes up slowely. Our eyes go from the left

to the right... Tadada Tada Daaa!

The band plays at fever pitch! Loud, really loud!

Im shaking. Im so nervous, dont know where to

look anymore!... My lady smiles at me. She understands.

Out of the right corner, from behind the curtain, He enters

the stage! Godallmighty! HE IS FOR REAL!

My head explodes!

This is not a film, Im watching! Hes there, in front of us!

EEEELLLLVVVIIISSSS!!!

He slowely walks towards the centre, of the stage. Smiling,

his thumbs, resting in the chains of his belt. He looks a

million bucks! Pompadour, and all.

Hes so incredibly good looking. And sooo coool!

Absorbing all these emotions, overpower me!

I nearly slide off my chair!

Im knocked out. And he hasnt opened his mouth, yet!...

......... To be Continued...

Tue May 23, 2006 12:08 pm

Tits McGhee wrote:Nope, never seen that. I remember Carl Perkins talking about Shelby Singleton planning to release the MDQ - this was before the boot came out. Perkins said that Singleton was going to overdub Nashville musicians onto the tapes. Can you imagine that?

I believe that's when the Sun International cover was prepared. Obviously the overdubs would have been recorded in stereo - that's why it said stereo on the cover. I personally can't see why Singleton thought he had the rights to the tapes in the first place. Elvis was an RCA artist in December '56. I realize it was taped at a Carl Perkins session, but that didn't automatically mean that Singleton (through him buying the Sun catalogue) owned the rights to put the MDQ out.

But thank God the bootleggers did!

The sleeve was not used because it said MILLON instead of MILLION.

When I interviewed Orion and Shelby Singleton in 1981 or 1982 at the Rockhouse rock and roll meeting in Eindhoven, Shelby Singleton said the bootleggers had 32 minutes of tapes lasting 2 1/2 hours.

If you play the bootleg and the LP Charly Records released in the UK you notice the bootleg has a slight echo that is not on the Charly Records LP .

When this LP was released it was a big letdown to a lot of people. No Johnny Cash, No Old rugged cross or any of the other titles rumoured to have been recorded. When the double-LP was released it was more exciting as that had the better songs added. Just my opinion.

THEM DAMN BOOTLEGS...!

Tue May 23, 2006 1:24 pm

... The first ever release of the MDQ a letdown?!

Thou must be kidding!

I was sitting in Vic Collonas car, next to him.

It was months before the unofficial release, of the album...

Without a word of introduction, from vic, he pushed a

cassette into his cardeck... "Im With The Crowd, But O so

Alone".... "You know, what youre listening to?" , Vic

asked. "Some Hillbilly singer? Like maybe Charlie Feathers?",

I replied.

..."Thats Elvis!... Its from the Million Dollar Quartet Session!"

Yes, Ger, and youre going to make the cover! He played

the rest of the tape, to me, with a huge grin on his face!

In those years, being around Vic, was one surprise, after

another... 8)

Tue May 23, 2006 1:31 pm

Luuk wrote: Shelby Singleton said the bootleggers had 32 minutes of tapes lasting 2 1/2 hours.

What, when played at the wrong speed ?

Oh, I get it now; we've only had 32 minutes of the original tapes which last a total of 2 1/2 hours !
Last edited by ColinB on Tue May 23, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 23, 2006 1:39 pm

ColinB wrote:
Luuk wrote: Shelby Singleton said the bootleggers had 32 minutes of tapes lasting 2 1/2 hours.

What, when played at the wrong speed ?

If Shelby Singleton was correct we now have some 90+ minutes of the 150. According to what I have heard Ernst Jorgensen claims the remainder (some 60 minutes i.e. 1 or 2 tapes) is having terrible sound and Elvis off mike.
Reconsider baby is on that tape/those 2 tapes.

Ger, if you think that it was Charlie Feathers on that tape, can you imagine the disappointment of a lof of fans? The Million Dollar Quartet recording was talked about quite often and was the best there could ever be in the history of rock and roll.