All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri May 12, 2006 12:25 am

When I heard the Today, Tomorrow and Forever version, I thought it was a gem. Still do. It's the only fugue type song I can think of that Elvis does. To me, it is extraordinary with the harmony. I find it secular and have wonderered why it lands up in gospel.

I recently listened to Jerry's. Whilst it is a very good vocal, there is nothing special about it about the production. Elvis version with the up front harmony is what makes it unique to me.

Alas , Johnny's version is the weakest IMO.

To each his own.

Sat May 13, 2006 1:12 am

Indeed.

I'll have to take another listen to the T/T/F version.

I'm not that thrilled about the song, but as heard on the "Essential Jerry Reed" set (quite a highly-recommended disc to all Elvis fans), it really fits in fine, where as Elvis' voice seems less sure than usual and a bit slurry compared to the original version. I grew up hearing a lot of country and western in the '70s and hearing Jerry's original reminded me how good it used to be.

Sat May 13, 2006 10:35 pm

Greg: I have Essential Jerry Reed. A great listen. Crude Oil Blues is very
timely once again.

Sun May 14, 2006 7:41 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
I can't believe that you think that Gordon Lightfoot's version is superior! If I really wanted to be as unkind or ungenerous as you are to this material, I'd say Lightfoot's arrangement is rather overly-folky and a bit depressing, while Elvis' version is quite beautiful.

I couldn't help think it was "exhibit A" in why songwriters are best kept at their main craft as opposed to vocalizing what they write. On it, he's tolerable at best to these ears, especially compared to Elvis' version.

And I say that as someone who respects and like Mr. Lightfoot, judging from a terrific Goldmine interview in the last few months. I wouldn't even mind owning a greatest hits album, as I recall that one big hit he had fondly.

Gord had four or five hits, thank you, and he's still a great songwriter... and of course his version sounds folksy. He's a folksinger, fer Chrissakes! :shock:
I've met Gordon several times and he truly likes Elvis' versions of his songs. Elvis' EMR has always been one of my faves, but Gord's version is a classic in it's own right.

Axe

Sun May 14, 2006 3:31 pm

Jerry reed doing his version of " i crapped myself into the poor house" is a great classic,,, found on jerry reed live

Re:

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Keith F wrote:"....you've probably only heard the Master of the song (and the rehearsal), and not Elvis' original undubbed version.
I think after hearing it, you might change your mind.
Oh, sorry it hasn't been released has it? :wink:

And 6 years later its still unreleased.....not even on "He Touched Me" - FTD :(

Re: A Thing Called Love

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Love it,always did