A Thing Called Love

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

jaywhite
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by jaywhite »

When I heard the Today, Tomorrow and Forever version, I thought it was a gem. Still do. It's the only fugue type song I can think of that Elvis does. To me, it is extraordinary with the harmony. I find it secular and have wonderered why it lands up in gospel.

I recently listened to Jerry's. Whilst it is a very good vocal, there is nothing special about it about the production. Elvis version with the up front harmony is what makes it unique to me.

Alas , Johnny's version is the weakest IMO.

To each his own.

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Indeed.

I'll have to take another listen to the T/T/F version.

I'm not that thrilled about the song, but as heard on the "Essential Jerry Reed" set (quite a highly-recommended disc to all Elvis fans), it really fits in fine, where as Elvis' voice seems less sure than usual and a bit slurry compared to the original version. I grew up hearing a lot of country and western in the '70s and hearing Jerry's original reminded me how good it used to be.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Greg: I have Essential Jerry Reed. A great listen. Crude Oil Blues is very
timely once again.

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Axeman »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
I can't believe that you think that Gordon Lightfoot's version is superior! If I really wanted to be as unkind or ungenerous as you are to this material, I'd say Lightfoot's arrangement is rather overly-folky and a bit depressing, while Elvis' version is quite beautiful.

I couldn't help think it was "exhibit A" in why songwriters are best kept at their main craft as opposed to vocalizing what they write. On it, he's tolerable at best to these ears, especially compared to Elvis' version.

And I say that as someone who respects and like Mr. Lightfoot, judging from a terrific Goldmine interview in the last few months. I wouldn't even mind owning a greatest hits album, as I recall that one big hit he had fondly.
Gord had four or five hits, thank you, and he's still a great songwriter... and of course his version sounds folksy. He's a folksinger, fer Chrissakes! :shock:
I've met Gordon several times and he truly likes Elvis' versions of his songs. Elvis' EMR has always been one of my faves, but Gord's version is a classic in it's own right.

Axe

epfan22

Post by epfan22 »

Jerry reed doing his version of " i crapped myself into the poor house" is a great classic,,, found on jerry reed live

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Re:

Post by KingElvis »

Keith F wrote:"....you've probably only heard the Master of the song (and the rehearsal), and not Elvis' original undubbed version.
I think after hearing it, you might change your mind.
Oh, sorry it hasn't been released has it? :wink:

And 6 years later its still unreleased.....not even on "He Touched Me" - FTD :(

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Mood:

Re: A Thing Called Love

Post by keninlincs »

Love it,always did

-instagram kenh1964

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by LSP-4445 »

This is the only song on the HTM album that I like….and I like it a lot.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

This topic is almost old enough to vote, yikes.

No one mentions it, but Elvis' cover of the Jerry Reed tune is taken 110% from the 1968 recording by the Imperials, his male vocal backing group from July 1969 to September 1971.

Imperials "A Thing Called Love" ("The Mike Douglas Show," Philadelphia [syndicated], Tuesday, April 1, 1969)
L-R:
Joe Moscheo on piano, Jim Murray, Terry Blackwood, Roger Wiles, and Armond Morales

Imperials "A Thing Called Love" (International Hotel, Wednesday, August 12, 1970 MS)
L-R:
Jim Murray, Terry Blackwood, Roger Wiles, and Armond Morales

A close look at three Imperials albums on the Impact label from '67 to '69 show at least a half-dozen gospel numbers Elvis taped in the '70s:

The Impossible Dream
Reach Out To Jesus
A Thing Called Love
Must Jesus Bear The Cross Alone / Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus / Nearer My God To Thee
He Touched Me
I've Got Confidence
Sweet, Sweet Spirit

So our true artist and craftsman did a lot of listening to his Imperials albums.

A good deal of the 1972 He Touched Me LP might as well be called Elvis Sings the Imperials!

Oh yeah, now that it's 2023, all the available takes of "A Thing Called Love" from Elvis' May 19, 1971 Nashville session have been released, plus a rehearsal before take 1 and -- yes -- the undubbed master take 9.

Just stay alive long enough . . .

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

gilles-tcb
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by gilles-tcb »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:08 pm
This topic is almost old enough to vote, yikes.

No one mentions it, but Elvis' cover of the Jerry Reed tune is taken 110% from the 1968 recording by the Imperials, his male vocal backing group from July 1969 to September 1971.

Imperials "A Thing Called Love" ("The Mike Douglas Show," Philadelphia [syndicated], Tuesday, April 1, 1969)
L-R:
Joe Moscheo on piano, Jim Murray, Terry Blackwood, Roger Wiles, and Armond Morales

Imperials "A Thing Called Love" (International Hotel, Wednesday, August 12, 1970 MS)
L-R:
Jim Murray, Terry Blackwood, Roger Wiles, and Armond Morales

A close look at three Imperials albums on the Impact label from '67 to '69 show at least a half-dozen gospel numbers Elvis taped in the '70s:

The Impossible Dream
Reach Out To Jesus
A Thing Called Love
Must Jesus Bear The Cross Alone / Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus / Nearer My God To Thee
He Touched Me
I've Got Confidence
Sweet, Sweet Spirit

So our true artist and craftsman did a lot of listening to his Imperials albums.

A good deal of the 1972 He Touched Me LP might as well be called Elvis Sings the Imperials!

Oh yeah, now that it's 2023, all the available takes of "A Thing Called Love" from Elvis' May 19, 1971 Nashville session have been released, plus a rehearsal before take 1 and -- yes -- the undubbed master take 9.

Just stay alive long enough . . .
Thanks for these two tracks, I really like this song from Elvis and yes, his one is very similar to those from the Imperials. Concerning their version from 700812 MS, it is from the pre-show before Elvis arrived on stage ?

You've never walked in that man's shoes or seen things through his eyes
Or stood and watched with helpless hands while the heart inside you dies
So help your brother along the road no matter where you start
For the God that made you, made them too, these men with broken hearts

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

gilles-tcb wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:34 pm
Thanks for these two tracks, I really like this song from Elvis and yes, his one is very similar to those from the Imperials. Concerning their version from 700812 MS, it is from the pre-show before Elvis arrived on stage ?

Yes it is, but does not appear in the film.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!