All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:22 am

N880EP wrote:Did I break the law or something?


No, did I for mentioning it?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:30 am

Matthew wrote:
N880EP wrote:Did I break the law or something?


No, did I for mentioning it?


Not that I'm aware of.


N8

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:43 am

N880EP wrote:
Matthew wrote:
N880EP wrote:Did I break the law or something?


No, did I for mentioning it?


Not that I'm aware of.


N8

Well I can't smell them bloodhounds on my trail so I guess I'm good.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:16 am

Matthew wrote:Well I can't smell them bloodhounds on my trail so I guess I'm good.


Guess you didn't wash your hands in muddy water :)

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:35 pm

There is an interview with Elvis from late 56 where he compares his own character to that of Clint Reno in the movie he has not long made, and says something like "Of course I am sometimes half crazy. You get in moods where it seems like there's nothing for you in life. It feels like I don't know what I'm going to do..." If you think that life was just opening up for him with a thousand opportunities and apparently every reason to feel optimistic, then this is a great insight into what he sometimes felt. It sounds like an inborn tendency to depression, as others have pointed out on this topic. Nice sympathetic views expressed from everyone too.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:08 pm

chris c wrote:There is an interview with Elvis from late 56 where he compares his own character to that of Clint Reno in the movie he has not long made, and says something like "Of course I am sometimes half crazy. You get in moods where it seems like there's nothing for you in life. It feels like I don't know what I'm going to do..." If you think that life was just opening up for him with a thousand opportunities and apparently every reason to feel optimistic, then this is a great insight into what he sometimes felt. It sounds like an inborn tendency to depression, as others have pointed out on this topic. Nice sympathetic views expressed from everyone too.


Agreed, on all counts.

----------------------------

EP had the adoration of millions and a larger than life image, ..... yet, ........

Even on stage, w/ all the applause ......................

He would still "feel lonely in a crowd."

Music, Reading, & (increasingly) medication ............ all served as his refuge. All also played a role to his very last day.

The first two are pretty innocent ways of dealing w/ life's stressors, ....... and the third was only harmful to himself (not others).

Lots to admire, enjoy, ............ & learn from ............ on multiple levels.

--------------------

All my best, fellow fans,


N8

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:19 pm

N880EP wrote:Lots to admire, enjoy, ............ & learn from ............ on multiple levels.

--------------------

All my best, fellow fans,


N8


A very worthy thought, well expressed. To learn from the story. I am a "fan" of the story of Elvis as much as the music and man himself - as I have said in other places before, to me Elvis is often the grandest of operas which, lasting forty two years, make's Wagner's Ring Cycle but an advertising jingle.

Thinking of his depression and loneliness can teach us something of ourselves, but also something of others. Rock and Roll's creation coincided with the early moments of the modern era, commercialism, etc. Often a lonely era for many when possessions are discovered as giving only passing meaning to our lives. If one of its founders and its "King" (well did he reject that title given all these implications) experienced loneliness and depression he perhaps provides an example to us all to be more attentive to our brother/sister and "help them along the road." None of us can do it alone and, as Elvis often found, friendship purchased is rarely friendship at all. Why do we need to now buy that which was once part of being a community - counselling, care, fellowship, support? If any of us, as I know many fans do, would wish to have been part of his life to "help" him out, look around us, there are "Elvises" everywhere.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:43 pm

Nice comments, N8 and Priestly. Thank you.

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:01 am

He didn't focuse enough on the music. I believe Elvis wasted most of his talent. He rarely felt fulfilled as a singer. There are two periods in his life where he was just going through the motions. One was most of the 60's, making mediocre or plain crappy movies, and the other one once he got bored of Vegas in the 70's (ehich I think it happened as early as 1970). I think he was never the artist he deeply wanted to be. And then of course, divorce, drugs, obesity and all that stuff.

But hey, just my opinion. "You never stood in that man's shoes..." :wink: