All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:04 am

shanebrown wrote:I would argue that Raised On Rock is a much better release than most people (including BMG who in the liner notes of the 90s CD basically said it was crap) would have you believe. Some of the soul songs are quite cool and at least they were an attempt at something different. The title song is a little...odd...as is Three Corn Patches. But For Ol' Times Sake is a remarkable performance as is Sweet Angeline and I Miss You. Having said that, if I hear another version of Are You Sincere I might scream.

Either way, all of these "non-classic" albums should be available for the young fans in some form or another.

ROR is not as bad as one might think. Sure, some of the tracks suck big time (Girl Of Mine and Three Corn Patches) but it has also a few outstanding performances (For Ol' Times Sake is the best). The Japanese 20 bit mastered released sounds amazing. It's hard to believe that this cd is made from the same source as the European release. The sound on the Japanese release is soooo much better.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:43 pm

Doh.....I guess i don't buy anything because of the packaging, but because of musical content. I certainly don't think every single record released during Elvis' lifetime should come out as "classic album."

Sure Raised On Rock and Fool both contain few decent tracks on their own but the way i see it, are simply not Classic albums.

For those individual songs, BMG now has a chance to present this material in much better light than originally in 1973. Back then there was no artictic vision concerning Elvis' record releases, it was just about getting product out there as fast and as cheap as possible. Even the song order is way off target.

Let's see, currently we are still missing:

- From Elvis In Memphis
- Memphis To Vegas
- Elvis Country
- His Hand In Mine
- How Great Thou Art
- Pot Luck
- For The Asking

Excluded soundtracks, there's probably few others, even Promised Land & From Elvis Presley Boulevard-album. All these to me are "classic-" albums whereas "Fool" is not.

Until these are released i don't think there's much point in discussing the "Fool" album reissue. At least i'm already tired. :roll:

OK remember this is just my opinion, they release what they release and we buy what we buy. I'll leave it at that.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:32 pm

VOC says, "They release what they release, and we buy what we buy".

Words of wisdom have been uttered.

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D .

It seems that a lot of us agree with releasing this cd. I also heard that it was ready for release during the last couple of years, but for the last minute it was shelved :cry: :cry: :cry:. This could be an outstanding release 8) 8) 8), and should be a winner!!. Hope this topic helps Ernst Jorgensen reconsider this cd release before this year ends. Keeping an eye on what would be released on July 1st (January 1974 concert and Clambake), the last release date for this cd would be October. Happy Eastern time. :wink: :wink: :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:51 pm

It seems now when you mention anything from the studio,its always answer with a well we will get than on a classic album release,the label started out with single cd releases, and i know that many of you love the classic albums, but i do want a nashville 71 single cd release,i have the orginals and since most of the time they do nothing with the sound,i dont need them again. I know that many of you roll your eyes at what im saying, but it just seems the classic album series has taken over the collectors label,im glad to have ftd ,i really am,but i was always hoping for single discs of all the main recording sessions,anyone else feel that the label has become mostly a classic albums label?oh yea dont forget people i support ftd and buy all releases, so its just an oppion :lol:

Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:46 pm

I think the term "classic album" could as well read "original album", thus I think we will eventually get albums like Raised On Rock and other albums that are not "classic". The problem with both Elvis Now and Elvis is that these albums make no sense..... (Raised on Rock does not contain the best music Elvis ever recorded but was recorded with the intention of being released as an album). A "Nashville 71'" release will make a lot of sense.

I also hope that FTD will release the Burning Love combilation they did (- I'm leavin' and It's only love which should be on the 71 release) complete with outtakes and undubbed masters and re-mastered by Kevan or Sebastian. Same for the Tommorrow is a long time combilation..... :D

Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:49 pm

......forgot to mention the "For The Asking" album (aka The Lost Album) which I also hope will get the "classic album" treatment :D

Ok...back to the subject.... Nashville 71'...

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:17 pm

The problem with the 70's albums is that most of the outtakes have already been released and there is not much material left to reasonably expand them to double disc sets without duplicating what's already out there. I doubt we'll ever see another 70's album in the classic album series ("Today" certainly was the exception and received a very lukewarm reception among fans). The concept just makes much more sense for really classic and essential Elvis albums from the 50's and early 60's where there is an overabundance of studio material available which could usefully augment the original albums.

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:36 pm

If I remember correctly Ernst, at one point, did mention that both Raised on Rock on Good Times would be released on the "classic" album series...... Elvis Today FTD, in my view, was i big dissapointment because of the very bad mastering job done on the outtakes.

Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:10 am

Mike DK: I thought the outtakes were fine. It was the original 10 album tracks that left a lot to be desired(imo).

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:15 am

JerryNodak;

The outtakes on Elvis Today have been mastered much too load. As an examble listen to the outtakes of Pieces of my life and you will clearly hear distortion :shock: Also try and use Nero WaveEditor to see the dynamic peaks - you will see that most of the outtakes have been clipped and lack their dynamic peaks.
A much better job on this release could have been done by Kevan Budd or Sebastion J. FTD should use them for every release they make.

Original Album Mixes

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:35 pm

Just my opinion but the classic album release of 'Today' was dissappointing because of the drastic difference in sound quality between the dull original album mixes and the outtakes - I had the same feeling with the audio of 'Harum' Masters opposed to the outtakes.

Why can't the 70's masters remixes be used for these 'classic' releases they sound so much fresher compared to the 'orig album mixes' just look at Promised Land - a fantastic sounding album standing shoulder to shoulder with the 70's box.

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:01 pm

I thought the classic albums series preserves the original lp sound on the masters, with the outtakes having the sound upgraded. Or is this only for the movie soundtracks?

Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:00 pm

Pete: I think it originally applied only to the soundtracks. But it sounds like it has been extended to the "Classic" series as well.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Hello everybody out there!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:.

This is my mood now, after hearing the latest news from Memphis about what will be released in October by the FTD team. It is not that I´m not happy with what is coming out 8) 8) 8). I´ve been trying to get some pressure on the FTD label for the last half of year to ask them to release the 1971 Nashville cd, "remember this is the latest year that FTD will release the regular cd, from now on only Classic albums, Soundtracks and Special projects", but is has been in vain. A lot of posters on this messageboard agreed with this release but we are no lucky, don´t they say that they keep an eye on the messageboard and try to keep fans happy on future cd releases?. Very dissapointed I am :( :( :( :( . Well at least they have decided to release the new Milllion Dollar Quartet on the main RCA label, it will have more publicity. Bye for now. :wink: :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:07 pm

thenexte wrote:"Elvis Now" and "Elvis Fool" are *classic* Elvis albums? I beg to differ here.

Clambake was not a *classic* album either.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:14 pm

In Nashville 1971 Elvis recorded many songs that still needs to be covered by FTD label.

I do hope we have this release in the future. Songs I expect to have many outtakes are: "We Can Make The Morning", "Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees", "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead", "Padre" (I like this one), "I´m Leaving".

And so many others. I´m sure there´s plenty of good material to release and probably this can be a winner on the FTD label in a near future.

But while we don´t have it I thank all efforts made by Ernst and all FTD team. Keep´em coming!

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:21 pm

Renan: I'm cofused (easy for me). Was "Clambake" released as a "Classic" and not as part of the soundtrack series?

Not that it matters to me. But some people get all bent out of shape over
the "Classic" word.

Two words that far too overused and abused when it comes to music are:
Essential and Classic.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:24 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Renan: I'm cofused (easy for me). Was "Clambake" released as a "Classic" and not as part of the soundtrack series?

Not that it matters to me. But some people get all bent out of shape over
the "Classic" word.

Yes, I made the confusion. Thanks for pointing it.

For The Asking

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:18 pm

Mike DK wrote:......forgot to mention the "For The Asking" album (aka The Lost Album) which I also hope will get the "classic album" treatment :D

Ok...back to the subject.... Nashville 71'...

Funny, I was just thinking about 'For The Asking' when I came to your post. It would be great for this album to get the FTD treatment, as I missed this release when it came out originally...

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:23 pm

That's my favourite elvis 60s album by far - and it wasn't even a bloody original album! What a waste! He never cut a more consistent and quality set of songs!!!

Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:21 pm

yes without question nashville 1971 needs to come out on a FTD, as for 'tickle me' that is 2nd worst FTD after Clambake! :oops:

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:02 am

Was "Clambake" released as a "Classic" and not as part of the soundtrack series

Anyone else notice that the 'Clambake' FTD has "special edition" printed on the spine. No other FTD has that, it's very strange as there was nothing particularly special about it (except maybe the nice packaging).

And as YDKM will testify (nearly all his suggestions made it onto 'I Found My Thrill'), Ernst does watch this MB.
I am sure Nashville '71 will be flagged as a future release.
I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Cheers
Piers

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:43 am

midnightx wrote:Ernst has said this sort of release was tentatively scheduled in the past. The fact that it keeps getting passed up may mean a lot of these performances will end up on Classic Album Series releases.

I personally doubt there will ever be any "Classic Album Series" releases from 70's albums, virtually all of the outtakes from these sessions have been released, what would be the point? I believe FTD tried a foray into this era with the "Today" album and it got very mixed reviews (that one had like 12 minutes of unreleased outtakes or so?!). Based on that feedback they decided to change course and went for "Made in Memphis", basically a very good sampler of leftover outtakes from different sessions. That whole strategy definitely makes sense to me, just given the sheer number of "true" classic albums from the 50's and 60's, and the amount of work that has to go into these (they are now averaging two new classic album restorations per year, which is really pushing it).

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:17 pm

If a single "regular" FTD disc appears devoted to Nashville 1971 out-takes, I wouldn't want to see any gospel or xmas songs (they could use what's left-over on a "classic" expansion of the Wonderful World Of Christmas album). I would like to have the full Don't Think Twice... jam and complete Lady Madonna with Lady Banana quips and any humourous lyric changes!