All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:42 pm

UpTempo : WORKING IN THE BUILDING - I, JOHN - BOSOM OF ABRAHAM
Slow : YOU´LL NEVER WALK ALONE - HE TOUCHED ME

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:20 pm

Steve Morse wrote:I have never liked Amazing Grace (tell me, does Elvis feature in that recording?)

Steve (if you're still here), have you not heard the favored "alternate" take of "Amazing Grace," the "blues" version heard on the "Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential '70s Masters"? That might change your mind!

ImageImage

My favorite gospel song?

This is like choosing among one's children and there are too many to mention but "How Great Thou Art," "Run On," "Bosom of Abraham," "Joshua Fit The Battle," "Milky White Way," "Working On the Building," "Peace In the Valley," "You'll Never Walk Alone (sort of qualifies), and too many others come to mind.

For months (as much to introduce my daughter to this music, who now sings along with it at age four), I have been soaking up the albums of "His Hand in Mine" and "How Great Thou Art" and feel more convinced than ever that they were slighted by rock critics who didn't realize how brilliant they are. The FTD of "His Hand In Mine" (remastered by Kevan Budd) adds a whole new dimension to this classic and any FTD of "How Great Thou Art" should do the same.

To my surprise, I have finally embraced the "He Touched Me" album, which for years sounded too iffy and modern in spots. But I see now that it wonderfully compliments the first two, and in spite some of the material which actually sounds more dated than the others, it's Elvis' great singing throughout that adds so much zest for the listener. It might just be that I never "played out" this album as much as I never liked it as much as the first two, but hearing it now still sounds fresh to these ears.

ImageImage

I'm as apt to grab the often-maligned " Peace In the Valley: The Complete Gospel Recordings" from 2000 and less often, 1994's "Amazing Grace, " incidentally. Complaints about Lene Reidel's audiowork aside, I really enjoy how Ernst & Roger weaved non-album tracks into that newer set. There are some terrific liner notes in the "Peace In the Valley" 3-CD set about Elvis' gospel influences as well. The next thing I'd like to do is get some of that classic gospel (the Blackwood Brothers, etc) the loved so much. I have some, but not all of the stuff he liked.

The "Easter Special" FTD, as was mentioned, is also worth a spin this time of year.

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:38 pm

Greg, I’m sure you meant to say that Sebastian remastered His Hand in Mine, not Kevan. :wink:

The original His Hand in Mine album is great, yet it is crap compared to the FTD upgrade. I love the sound on the Peace in the Valley set. That box ignited my love of gospel music, which I had largely ignored up until that point. I bought it in 2002 and fell in love with it instantly, especially that first disc. My God!

To pick my favorite gospel song is impossible, but I can narrow it down a little bit.

How Great Thou Art (live from September 3, 1973 onward)
Stand by Me
Run on
We Call on Him
Amazing Grace
Lead Me, Guide Me
If That Isn’t Love
Crying in the Chapel
I Believe in the Man in the Sky
Known Only to Him
He Knows Just What I Need
Without Him

If you put a gun to my head, I would choose the live version of "How Great Thou Art" from Memphis, 1974, because of its sheer power and award winning character.

Per

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:41 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Greg, I’m sure you meant to say that Sebastian remastered His Hand in Mine, not Kevan. :wink:

Whoops! Is that right? I've been walking around thinking Mr. Budd did this work! Ouch. And you're right: congratulations, Mr. Sebastian Jeansson!

I meant to post on the "His Hand In Mine" FTD thread and perhaps might have seen mention of this but its been that sort of year...!

Good choices, Per!

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Thanks, Greg. I like your choices too. I forgot to mention "Take My Hand, Precious Lord". Great performance.

Per

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:15 pm

carolynlm wrote:'You'll Never Walk Alone'

Yes, me too...along with:

I`ve Got Confidence
Seeing Is Believing
Where Did They Go Lord
Let Us Pray
Where Could I Go But to The Lord
Who Am I
I Believe In The Man In The Sky

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:33 am

If I had to choose one just it would be Stand By Me. Perfectly sung and perfect arrangement.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 am

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "Miracle Of the Rosary".

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:16 am

I like it, too, but as someone here of an apparently more Protestant influence have pointed out, it's more of a Catholic Christian tune, being that they place less emphasis on the Catholic emphasis of the ole of the Virgin Mary as the Blessed Mother," etc. I have no problem with including, it personally. I always liked it, naturally, having been raised with the prayer it's based on.

Cisco, I recently got into "Seeing Is Believing" and especially "I"ve Got Confidence." He really gets into each song. The latter, if it was secular, has a catchy, almost-hit-like flavor to it. I don't like it as much but "Put Your Hand.." was of course a rare gospel pop hit in the early '70s for the original artist.

And "Stand By Me" is just terrific.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:13 am

Greg, you are absolutely right about I`ve Got Confidence.
Please also listen to take 4 of Seeing Is Believing on Easter Special.
Almost better than the master.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:33 pm

He touched me

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:51 pm

Hard decision. but I'll choose you'll never walk alone.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Sylvain, you said he touched you. Well, you have my sympathies, but this is hardly the forum for that kind of … oh, you meant the song, did you? Silly me. :oops:

Per

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:09 pm

crying in the chapel & reach out to jesus.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:55 am

On "Reach Out to Jesus," I especially admire his vocals on the end part:

"...When you get dis-couraged just remem-ber what to do,
Reach out to Jesus, come on and reach out to Jesus,
I said .. reach out to Jesus,
He's rea-ching out to y-ou..."

I just discovered this song recently , or finally listened harder.

Good stuff!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:18 am

The one's that really get ahold of my heart are Take My Hand Precious Lord; Father Along; Known Only To Him; In The Garden; Where No One Stands Alone; Stand By Me; Without Him; We Call On Him; Who Am I; He Touched Me; Help Me. My absolute favorite is Stand By Me. I wish Elvis would've done the song he sometimes had Sherrill do, Walk With Me. And even though it's not gospel, Danny Boy is one that really get's to me. It's an extremely poignant, moving, spiritual performance.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:31 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:On "Reach Out to Jesus," I especially admire his vocals on the end part:

"...When you get dis-couraged just remem-ber what to do,
Reach out to Jesus, come on and reach out to Jesus,
I said .. reach out to Jesus,
He's rea-ching out to y-ou..."

I just discovered this song recently , or finally listened harder.

Good stuff!
Yes.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:21 am

I played FATHER ALONG and WHERE COULD I GO, and my mothers furenal(along with THATS SOMEONE YOU'LL NEVER FORGET). Those are my two favorites. I also like RUN ON and WALK THEM GOLDEN STAIRS,

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:19 am

I once spoke with Ernst out in the front of Graceland in '02 and i asked him what he wanted to see released or what he wanted to accomplish in the future, and he expressed to me that he really wanted to remix the 1971 He Touched Me sessions.

I think he also said this same thing in an interview a few years back.

To date, this still hasn't happened.

I wonder if the powers that be wouldn't let this happen or if this process is just to expensive :?:

The financial aspect of returning a profit shouldn't be the case, as Elvis gospel releases generally sell real good ...

Any thoughts :?:

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:17 am

I have three gospel favorites
Peace in the Valley
Where Could i Go But To The Lord
Amazing Grace