All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:27 am

"He Touched Me", "Bosom of Abraham" and "I, John".

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:39 pm

crying in the chapel.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:46 pm

Somebody Bigger Than You and I
Stand by Me
How Great Thou Art
You'll never Walk Alone

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:03 pm

It´s very hard to choose one song. This choice may change in a couple of minutes or tomorrow.

But today I choose "Reach Out To Jesus".

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:14 pm

Who am I?
Reach out to Jesus
And just about any version of "How great Thou art"

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:37 pm

His gospel work was so amazing and consistent, it's impossible to pick a standout!

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:43 pm

Live version of "Where No One Stands Alone" from 1977, Take My Hand, Precious Lord and Live versions of "How Great Thou Art". I don't like the studio version of How Great Thou Art....
Last edited by Ton Bruins on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:54 pm

i would say all but i can make a list if i have to,,,LOL
1. he touched me( my all time favorite) he puts goose bumps all over me and a lump in my throat whenever i here him do it, its also to be played at my funeral
2. where no one stands alone.. very strong performance studio or live
3. farther along
4. lead me
5. you'll never walk alone
6. in the garden
7. amazing grace... great arrangement
Last edited by epfan22 on Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:14 pm

Where no one stands alone live feb.'77
reason..I wuz there.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:25 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:I don't like the studio version of How Great Thou Art....

Me neither!! I think if I had heard it before I had heard the live versions I might have liked it more - but the studio version is like a pale comparison of the full on live versions!!

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Studio: Where No One Stands Alone
Live: How Great Thou Art (74/75, my favorite HGTA is the one on "Just Pretend")

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:26 pm

"Workin' On The Building" - the guitar work is fantastic!

Mystery Train

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:38 pm

thekingisalive wrote:I think it’s incredible that Elvis didn’t get a Grammy for the His Hand in Mine album as well. It’s every bit as good as How Great Thou Art, if not better.

Per

Did they even have the Grammy's back in 1960/61?

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:31 pm

Hello friends
like everyone said : it is very hard to pick only one gospel song...mmmm....I LIKE THEM ALL :D
but my really favorites are:
1. CRYING IN THE CHAPPELL
2. MILKY WHITE WAY
3. IF WE NEVER MEET AGAIN
4. IN MY FATHERS HOUSE
5. RUN ON ( that one is super!!!!like it like it...)
6. STAND BY ME
7. SOMEBODY BIGGER THAN YOU AND I
8. IN THE GARDEN
9. WE CALL ON HIM ( wonderfull !!!!)
10. YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE
11. WHO AM I
12. HE TOUCHED ME
13. A THING CALLED LOVE
14. REACH OUT TO JESUS
15. WHERE NO ONE STANDS ALONE ( LIVE 1977)
LIOR

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:16 am

"Crying In The Chapel" :wink:

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:31 am

You'll Never Walk Alone
How Great Thou Art
Amazing Grace

Re: What is your favorite gospel song by Elvis?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:47 am

music2 wrote:Why is it your favorite?

music2, I hope you aren't offended that very few people answered the second part of your debut post. Folks just get too excited about their "lists" I guess.

DJC

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:03 am

It's Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art. Told my loved ones if anything ever happens to me...My wishes are those two songs to be played at my funeral. No one sings it better than Elvis. All the Gospels he sang are the best than anyone one who sings it! Amen.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:21 am

Even though their lyrical contents is nothing more than horseshit to me his gospel-recordings are absolutely among his finest. There are almost way too many to pick from, but to me it would have to be We Call On Him, Stand By Me, Somebody Bigger and In My Fathers House.

And why do I like them?
Amongst other things because they showcase Elvis at his best, and his beyond beautiful voice is unbelieveable.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:00 am

Very hard to pick a favourite.. in fact, upon reading everyone elses posts, I went running for my 'Ultimate Gospel' CD and put my headphones on..

I think for me right now, at this moment in time, it's 'If the Lord wasn't walking by my Side". It's one of those Elvis tracks (like so many) that I can put on, turn it up, close my eyes, and suddenly I'm transported into the euphoria of the studio, watching Elvis cut another classic...

Oh no wait.. now "Run On" is on.. its just too hard to decide. I hate these kinds of questions!

K.

PS - Btw, I've just noticed 'Where No-one Stands Alone" is not on 'Ultimate Gospel'.. what a glaring omission that was..

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:05 am

The cd "Easter Special" from FTD is my favorite cd of Elvis' gospel songs.

Alot of them on it are my favorites.

Re: What is your favorite gospel song by Elvis?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
music2 wrote:Why is it your favorite?

music2, I hope you aren't offended that very few people answered the second part of your debut post. Folks just get too excited about their "lists" I guess.

DJC

i missed also djc,, i went back fixed a few of mine .. not all

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:12 am

elvis-fan wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:I think it’s incredible that Elvis didn’t get a Grammy for the His Hand in Mine album as well. It’s every bit as good as How Great Thou Art, if not better.

Per

Did they even have the Grammy's back in 1960/61?

Yes.
And Elvis records (LPs and/or 45s) were Grammy nominated in diverse categories in 1959 and 1960 and 1961.
(Tho he never won until 1967; ie the 1968 ceremony)
Elvis had 14 nominations overall, and was among the FIRST artists EVER to be nominated when the Grammy was instituted at the end of the 50s.
Today, artists squeeze as much clout and mileage out of a nomination (or win) but back then, no one gave arip what a Grammy was or what it could mean. Just think: Multi-nominated Elvis was caught up in doing silly movie songs and didn't exercise any artistic leverage with his multiple nominations. Today, any artist would flaunt and use a Grammy nom for whatever they wanted to improve upon. with their career.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:37 am

Gospel Music was Elvis' first love, that's why he sang them with so much feeling from his heart and soul. It's very difficult to choose any favorites as Elvis was brilliantly superb on all his Gospel recordings.

But these are my very Top 5
1. Stand By Me
2. Joshua Fit The Battle
3. Crying In The Chapel
4. Who Am I
5. He Touched Me

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:04 pm

An Evening Prayer.

Also, It Is No Secret (binaural outtakes - the natural richness of his voice is amazing).

Known Only To Him (voice control), Oh How I Love Jesus (his sheer enjoyment/committment).

I have never liked Amazing Grace (tell me, does Elvis feature in that recording?).

Where No One Stands Alone (studio) - Elvis's voice sounds strained. He should have recut it.

I don't particularly like the live cuts of How Great Thou Art - I prefer the reverence of the studio master.

FVH - your "horseshit" comment was uncalled for. You are missing a part of what Elvis was, and what sustained him, if that is your extreme view. I'm not saying you have to be a believer, but there are better ways of putting it.

Steve Morse