All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

What is your favorite gospel song by Elvis?

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:50 am

What is your favorite gospel song by Elvis? You can include alternate takes, rehearsals, etc.

Why is it your favorite?

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:57 am

I can't say that I have a single favorite, but I will go with "Milky White Way," "Lead Me, Guide Me" and "His Hand In Mine" as a revolving top three.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:05 am

Lead Me, Guide Me
How Great Thou Art
Amazing Grace

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:16 am

Joshua Fit The Battle. The first gospel recording I heard on an EU EP called Kiss Me Quick EPA-9673:
Kiss Me Quick
Night Rider
Joshua Fit The Battle
Judy

I must admit I like most of them. It would be easier to mention one I'm not too fond of and that is: Seeing Is Believing, which I find a little bit too strained.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:18 am

How Great Thou Art
A Thing Called Love
Help Me
I Believe In The Man In The Sky
I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs
Mansion Over The Hilltop
In My Fathers House
Put Your Hand In The Hand
Working On The Building
I, John
By And By
Bosom Of Abraham
Joshua Fit The Battle
There Is No God But God
Milky White Way
Amazing Grace
Peace In The Valley

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:20 am

Amazing Grace (take 2 from Essential 70s Masters)
Peace In The Valley
Stand By Me
Run On

norrie

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:20 am

Where No One Stands Alone - Live Feb 1977 - very appropriate and moving.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:29 am

BIGREDG wrote:Where No One Stands Alone - Live Feb 1977 - very appropriate and moving.

Ahh, yes Bigredg I agree with you for sure. This is one of the best gospel songs he sang, very good. I love listening to this song from '77.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:46 am

How Great Thou Art (original album version). Why? Because the studio version is smooth and restrained. The "Live" versions that I've heard are too over-the-top for my taste.

Now, before anybody jumps all over me, I'm NOT saying the "Live" versions aren't good. Just that I prefer the original studio version.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:57 am

My favorite version of How Great Thou Art is from Elvis In Concert CBS.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:57 am

We Call On Him

But Known Only To Him (from His Hand In Mine LP) was one of Elvis' finest vocal performances.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:10 am

Somehow, his 1960 gospel recordings capture a magic unlike anything else he ever did, most notably with "Crying In The Chapel" and "Milky White Way."

But who can turn away from 1957's "Peace In The Valley," with that great line about being "changed, changed from this creature that I am"?

1966's "Stand By Me" and 1971's "I John" are also standouts in a genre where he simply excelled, the former for his deep sincerity, the latter for the jubilee spirit so evident and vibrant at the age of 36.

DJC

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:35 am

Stand By Me is haunting. Take My Hand Precious Lord is moving. Where No One Stands Alone, He Touched Me, and Help Me are personal favorites.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:36 am

I agree DrJohn. I think 1957's Peace In The Valley is another excellent gospel song. Another ones of my favorites.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:32 am

Right now it's Run On. It will probably be different next week though.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:06 am

"Somebody Bigger than You and I"

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:09 am

Reach Out To Jesus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:41 am

It’s impossible to pick just one favorite. Therefore, I’ll pick the songs that are consistent favorites of mine.

Peace in the Valley
Take My Hand, Precious Lord
Known Only to Him
He Knows Just What I Need
Crying in the Chapel
Run on
Stand by Me
Without Him
We Call on Him
Amazing Grace
Lead Me, Guide Me
If That Isn’t Love
How Great Thou Art (live)

Per

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:47 am

Here are a few more of my favorites..
-We Call On Him
-Without Him
-Stand By Me
:wink:

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:47 am

By the way, I can’t think of another performer who can match the gospel side of Elvis. In my opinion, he is the best gospel singer, the best rock ’n’ roll singer, the best ballad singer, and one of the best blues and country singers. Just to mention a few categories. I think it’s incredible that Elvis didn’t get a Grammy for the His Hand in Mine album as well. It’s every bit as good as How Great Thou Art, if not better.

Per

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:51 am

Amazing grace- great soulful, inspiring arrangement, drenched in emotion. i love it. it is one of my very faves

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:10 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Amazing grace- great soulful, inspiring arrangement, drenched in emotion. i love it. it is one of my very faves

Gotta agree there, Scott !

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:28 am

'Stand By Me'.

Brian :D

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:42 am

Where No One Stands Alone & How Great Thou Art - original studio versions.

Generally i agree, His Hand Mine sessions were superior and more consistent. On He Touched Me there's few hits and misses.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:08 am

Who Am I?,How Great Thou Art,Stand By Me,You'll Never Walk Alone