Elvis' performance of "If" in concert

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Tits McGhee
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Tits McGhee »

Jimmy Ellis / Orion: shite

Ral Donner: tremendous

The two should never be mentioned in the same breadth. Ral recorded the songs Elvis should have recorded in the '60s. His 'I Got Burned' is amazing. Ral was a genuine artist. Ellis was a pathetic impersonator who tried to con people by wearing a mask and attempting to hood-wink. "Is it Elvis? It sounds like Elvis!"

Bollocks.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by TJ »

In defence of Shane, I'm sure if the sound had been clearer, he would not have been fooled. It is reasonably close to how Elvis sounded at certain times in the 70s - certainly not way off at least. Sure there are giveaways that it's fake, but it's closer than some efforts that have fooled fans.

TONY
Registered for: 21 years

RUBBISH

Post by TONY »

I look forward to hearing Elvis' live version of "Stairway to heaven"??!!! "If" sounded awful!

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

It wasn't a bad attempt - very passable im places. I think impersonators tend to over emphasise Elvis' mannerisms - makes me laugh to think that Elvis sounds less like 'Elvis' should!

The edits immediatley raise some doubts in your mind.

I suppose it does make you think what 'if'??? lol

Andrew

TCB TED
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by TCB TED »

Tits McGhee wrote:Jimmy Ellis / Orion: shite

The two should never be mentioned in the same breadth. Ral recorded the songs Elvis should have recorded in the '60s. His 'I Got Burned' is amazing. Ral was a genuine artist. Ellis was a pathetic impersonator who tried to con people by wearing a mask and attempting to hood-wink. "Is it Elvis? It sounds like Elvis!"

Bollocks.
I have one of Ral's original vinyl releases, the one with "Girl of My Best Friend" and "You Don't Know What You've Got" ... yes, I'm a fan of his.
But, later in life he lost it a bit ... his version of "Don't Leave Me Now" with the Jordainnaires includes most of today's ETA's vocal tricks.

For whatever reason, I seem to enjoy some of the music of guys
like Donner and Ellis who both started singing Elvis years before 1977.

Donner must be the first successful tribute artist ... he had guts to release
"Girl of ..." in 1961 ... you just didn't cover a current Elvis song, and he
went to #19 on Billboard't top 100.
Here's the link to his site http://ca.geocities.com/raldonner@rogers.com/index.html

I grant you that Ellis is more of a spoof, but I wasn't comparing him to Donner.
My point was that from Donner to Ellis, as good or bad as you may view them, most hardcore Elvis fans will never confuse any ETA with the real thing. The voice is the biggest tipoff to the fake, followed by cheezy arrangements.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

ElvisAhlgren wrote:I can see that most non Elvis experts would say that this is Elvis. Unfortunately it's not. People trying to fool us like this should be punished.

Being an Elvis fan is like walking in a minefield - with more mines being added every year.

There are a lot of FAKES out there. All of this is contributing to -------> M-Y-T-H.

It is human nature to be disingenous and pass falsities off as TRUTH, unfortunately. As technology improves, people are given ever greater incentives for attempting to con others (or, at the very least, have some fun -- which then gets taken out of context and passed off as "real").

We're in perplexing times. Fortunately......... a combination of knowledge and intuition can usually shed light on the shadowy realms of myth. So it is here.

heathbarclay

impersonator

Post by heathbarclay »

Too much vibrato for Elvis, I think.

Leroy
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Leroy »

The point is, and that's what gets people on the wrong feet, the spoken part before the songs starts is Elvis himself doing some of his Vegas rap. Then the sound changes and a completely other voice starts to sing "If".
Heathbarclay is right: it's sung with too much vibrato. Elvis would never have sung it this way.

Fourteen years right down the drain, man, I'm tellin' ya!

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Renan »

Not a bad version but it is NOT Elvis.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

PEP

Post by PEP »

I was some what impressed by what Orion was doing with this song.

I was almost fooled about 10 seconds into the song then things began to change for me...my wife commented that if that's Elvis it sounds like a drunken Elvis, coming back with No that's not Elvis, yet she as well said certain things didn't sound bad and I would have to agree.

More times than not tho in my opinion he really doesn't sound like Elvis to me at all.....as there just is a different tone to his voice which comes up now an again which just isn't as clean or precise as Elvis' voice....plus his deepnest is over exaggerated....not to mention his highs are totally different.... :smt119

Still Jimmy Orion Ellis did do a few songs I wish Elvis would have attempted...like "Last Kiss" as a example.....or "Hooked On A Feeling" .....

Nevertheless Orion failed to impress on these songs I mention......

The song"If" however gave me that brief feeling of "Yea" I could see or rather hear Elvis doing it.... :wink:

Just too bad its not him...... :cry:

Thanks for posting tho... :smt023

PEP 8)

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Marko »

It's not Elvis as stated before and I'm a bit surprised that any fan would be confused about this. Although, now days when people are downloading stuff from internet it's easy to be mistaken since a lot of stuff is wrongly credited. I've seen Jimmy Ellis version of Save The Last Dance For Me passed on as Elvis's version.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

deadringer
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

???

Post by deadringer »

Anyone who think that this is Elvis... well visit good doctor. The voice is completely different. And it's Jimmi Ellis.

dannyboy1
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by dannyboy1 »

Sorry, no offense intended, but I really can't understanding anyone who knows what Elvis sounds like thinking that was Elvis singing "If". Jimmy Ellis was definately the closest of the sound-alikes, but had far too much vibrato in his voice to really sound like Elvis. Again, no offense intended but I find this kind of thing amazing.

"The way you looked, the sound of your laughing..."

Scatter
Registered for: 20 years

Post by Scatter »

Based upon what I read here, I forayed into the internet jungle to ferret out some Ral Donner sound clips.

This guy sounds about as much like Elvis as I do..........just awful.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Although Elvis' vibrato is problematic for me in later recordings, he had, to put it mildly, a unique way of singing. This recording you have presented to us doesn't showcase that style. This singer's vibrato stands out more because they draw out certain notes where my mind tells me Elvis wouldn't. The differences are sometimes subtle -- but they are there. Many people have responded and told you that this isn't Elvis. Kick up a stink if you wish. But you have the answer.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Well: I don't think you're deserving of scorn for not realising. The difference, owed more to the sound quality than anything else, is not night and day, as the slurs of some would wrongly seem to suggest.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Marko »

ElvisAhlgren wrote:

A friend of mine said that he had downloaded an Elvis song he have never heard before called Rockabilly Rebel. I said yes sure.. He sent it to me and it took about 2 seconds to be certain that this was not Elvis. It sounded like rockabilly from the late seventies or the eighties. Maybe it was some kind of tribute song but to say that it was Elvis really makes you angry.
Are you talking about the song by rockbilly band Matchbox (the refrain goes something like:"I'm a rockbilly rebel from head to toe, I got to keep rocking everywhere I go")? Their recording comes from the late 70's or early 80's. Doesn't sound anything like Elvis.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Scatter
Registered for: 20 years

Post by Scatter »

shanebrown wrote:Ok - two things...

1.) I have been on here four days and don't expect to have abuse thrown at me.

WHAT?!?!?!You were here for 4 days before you had abuse thrown at you???

Moderator's pet.......... :wink:

2.) I think it quite funny that some of you accuse me of basically being deaf or in need of seeing a doctor. In the same breath you are saying there is too much vibrato to be Elvis and he wouldn't have sung like that. I have to say that this is quite amusing since, in many concerts during late 75 through to 77 Elvis sadly has so much vibrato in his voice that he sounds like he is standing on a pneumatic drill.
The live versions of And I Love You So being a good example

Well...........that should certainly help :lol:

Welcome aboard my friend...........lock your tray table and put your seat in the full upright position. It can be a bumpy ride.
:D

MB280E

Re: If

Post by MB280E »

shanebrown wrote:No, I'm 99% certain this is actually presley. No-one else has THAT particular timbre to his voice!
99% certain...?? You´re either 100% certain it´s Presley or you don´t know the singing voice of Elvis Presley at all!!! 99%...? Have you ever heard Elvis at all?? :roll:

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Sean Ryan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Sean Ryan »

Shane,
If you were 99% certain it was Elvis ,i wish you would have sent me a PM before putting this topic up.

We could have had a bet. :lol: :lol:

If your looking for trouble, you will end up hurt.

Keggyhander
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Keggyhander »

I REALLY hate the overuse of vibrato. That's what ruins the likes of Doug Church and this Orion Fella.

If he had dialled back the vibrato to about a third of what he's doing, then he would probably have been convincing.

That vibrato was like being hit over the head with a dinner tray, for ever.

Sean Ryan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Sean Ryan »

shanebrown wrote:nah, you wouldn't have won any more than i would have! you may well be right, but who can prove it! hehe
Try getting some sound samples of Jimmy'Orion' Ellis and you will realise that its him that is singing 'if' and not Elvis.

If your looking for trouble, you will end up hurt.

moodyblue1
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by moodyblue1 »

Tits McGhee wrote:Jimmy Ellis / Orion: shite

Bollocks.

Try telling that to Allen "The Idiot" Damron, lol

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Keggyhander wrote:That vibrato was like being hit over the head with a dinner tray, for ever.
Whereas your own singing... nah.

Keggyhander
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Keggyhander »

Cryogenic wrote:
Keggyhander wrote:That vibrato was like being hit over the head with a dinner tray, for ever.
Whereas your own singing... nah.
Uncalled for. :roll: Especially if you haven't heard me.

I'm the first to admit that my vibrato is my weakest area. I'd love to have Elvis' vibrato. That's why it pains me when people with that ability totally overdo it. I'm of the "less is more" school on the issue.

Even worse are those sad-sacks that do a ridiculous false "sheep-baa" from the throat instead of a diaphragmatic resonance.