All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Goin`home

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:13 pm

See-See-rider, there is a very good version (take 29) of "Goin`home" on the FTD So high.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:28 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:The '60s - I firmly believe Elvis never sang a bad song in Nashville the entire decade.

With all due respect, someone sang these 32 songs in Nashville's Studio B, and they're awful:

I'm Not The Marrying Kind

Fountain Of Love
Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello

Never Ending
Western Union
There's Gold In The Mountains
One Boy, Two Little Girls
Once Is Enough
Smokey Mountain Boy
Catchin' On Fast
Barefoot Ballad

Shake That Tambourine
Hey Little Girl
My Desert Serenade
Kismet
Golden Coins
So Close, Yest So Far (From Paradise)
Wisom Of The Ages
Animal Instinct
Go East - Young Man
Harem Holiday
Mirage

A House That Has Everything
Who Needs Money
Confidence
Hey, Hey, Hey
Clambake
Mine
Singing Tree
Stay Away, Joe
Dominic

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:55 pm

Hey Doc, Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello is a charming performance. The song is by no means a classic, but it's made very listenable through the superb vocal. It doesn't belong on a list of true stinkers such as Shake that Tambourine, Confidence and the embarrassingly lame Clambake.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:08 pm

TJ wrote:Hey Doc, Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello is a charming performance.

...along with Singing Tree and Never Ending.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Personally, I also enjoy "Fountain Of Love" and "There's Gold In The Mountains". Where do you get off calling all of these songs "awful", Doc? They're certainly not A-grade material, and maybe several steps below what one would consider conventionally good, but at least some of the ones you've listed are well produced, well sung and have an appeal.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:11 am

Cryogenic wrote:Where do you get off calling all of these songs "awful", Doc?

Because they are -- awful.

If you wish to choose a different adjective -- dreadful, terrible, appalling, unpleasant, poor, horrible -- be my guest.

These are songs Elvis never should have recorded, and they were taped in Nashville in the 1960s, which was not immune to poor material.

Sorry, Mystery Train!

Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:30 am

I'm Not The Marrying Kind
Fountain Of Love
Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello
Never Ending
Western Union
Catchin' On Fast
So Close, Yest So Far
Wisom Of The Ages
Animal Instinct
Mine
Singing Tree

they are awful, dreadful, terrible, appalling, unpleasant, poor, horrible.

SAID WHO ??? Said someone with 5452 postings nicknamed DJC who praised many poor soundboard shows in reviews. Doc, you are more and more embarrassing... plese put your head into basin with drift ice... best if forever.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:18 am

Ciscoking wrote:

...along with i´m not the marrying kind, western union, so close,yet so far, animal instinct, harem holiday, mine ... and, yes, even "with-a-c-and-an-o-and-an-n-and-an-f "... (it´s a childrensong, folks!), all truly fine performances in my humble opinion!
Last edited by Christopher on Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:30 am

Dontcha think its time for "Dominic" to get the re-mix treatment?

I smell a number record here.

dominic, dominic,

pick one and take her

there's acres and acres to choose

Oh oh, only a fool would refuse.

That is gold baby.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:33 am

Christopher wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:

and, yes, even "with-a-c-and-an-o-and-an-n-and-an-f "... (it´s a childrenssong, folks!), all truly fine performances in my humble opinion!

I wouldn't go that far. The performance on Confidence is one of the worst of his career. It screams out "I DON'T BELIEVE IN THIS CRAP". That's because he didn't of course.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:41 am

...Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello is a charming performance.

Elvis should never have recorded this song. With the material being so bad, it is hard to label it as charming...

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:46 am

midnightx wrote:
...Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello is a charming performance.

Elvis should never have recorded this song. With the material being so bad, it is hard to label it as charming...

It's worthwhile for the swtich to falsetto alone. The words aren't great but it's not a bad pop song.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:47 am

The words aren't great but it's not a bad pop song.

It is a bad pop song. Elvis makes the most of it, but an artist of his caliber should have been dealing with stronger material.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:53 am

Strangely enough, anything Elvis recorded in Nashville, be it soundtracks or regular studio recordings, spin in my CD players more often than poor sounding soundboard recordings of Elvis throwing away Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel medleys!

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:54 pm

TJ wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:

and, yes, even "with-a-c-and-an-o-and-an-n-and-an-f "... (it´s a childrenssong, folks!), all truly fine performances in my humble opinion!

I wouldn't go that far. The performance on Confidence is one of the worst of his career. It screams out "I DON'T BELIEVE IN THIS CRAP". That's because he didn't of course.

Are you saying Elvis lacked confidence?

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:58 pm

"Dark Moon" is pretty sublime. Even the title is very, well... Pink Floydish. It's another one of those songs that takes you into another world. Every time Elvis dips into the chorus, he sings it in that intimate way that only Elvis could. Sadly, this home recording is actually better than the professional studio material that he was cutting at the time.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:48 pm

I wish Elvis had recorded more awful songs like "So close, yet so far".
I like that awful song.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:57 pm

[quote="Denman"]I wish Elvis had recorded more awful songs like "So close, yet so far".
I like that awful song.[/quote]
"HEARD" The BEST of ALL soundtracks :D

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:02 pm

Thrill of Your Love is a good song.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:36 pm

O.K.
i agree with alot of friends hereabout all the songs they mentioned...
But.......
I LIKE THE SONG : JUST TELL HER JIM SAID HELLO - fantastic vocal by elvis
I also like very much: WISDOM OF THE AGES & FOUNTAIN OF LOVE
Others :
LIKE A BABY
THERES ALWAYS ME
GENTLY
SOMETHING BLUE
LOVE ME TONIGHT
ASK ME ( no one on earth could get that vocal sound like elvis did on that great number)
Sincerely
LIOR

Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:40 pm

Peter66 wrote:For me: What Now My Love.

What a song. And hardly be found on any album besides Aloha although it would have enough power to stand in its own right, side by side with studio recordings. Glad to see it on the new genre CDs.

Btw, is there any other album out, where it is included? Besides Aloha and the soundboards?

Peter, sorry... forgot to address this earlier.

An early 60's version -- a private recording -- of "What Now My Love" can be heard on "The Home Recordings". You can hear a sample on Amazon's listing: http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recordings-E ... B00000I71J

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:14 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
Peter66 wrote:For me: What Now My Love.

What a song. And hardly be found on any album besides Aloha although it would have enough power to stand in its own right, side by side with studio recordings. Glad to see it on the new genre CDs.

Btw, is there any other album out, where it is included? Besides Aloha and the soundboards?

Peter, sorry... forgot to address this earlier.

An early 60's version -- a private recording -- of "What Now My Love" can be heard on "The Home Recordings". You can hear a sample on Amazon's listing: http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recordings-E ... B00000I71J

Live versions are also on countless boots and most are better than the Aloha version.

I'm with you on Dark Moon. There was Elvis fullly committed, throwing in some of his classic trademark vocal tricks missing from a lot of the recent studio efforts set for commercial release. And it was a home recording destined to remain unheard for 15 years :?
Last edited by TJ on Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:41 am

Cryogenic wrote:"Dark Moon" is ... actually better than the professional studio material that he was cutting at the time.

Not true -- the May 1966 How Great Thou Art sessions yielded many terrific masters.

TJ wrote:Dark Moon ... a home recording destined to remain unheard for 15 years ...

19 years -- taped in 1966, released on A Golden Celebration (RCA) in 1985.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:"Dark Moon" is ... actually better than the professional studio material that he was cutting at the time.

Not true -- the May 1966 How Great Thou Art sessions yielded many terrific masters.

That's true. And in addition to the gospel recordings, boy, do I love the non-gospel "Love Letters". But there was also a lot of secular crap he was cutting around that time, especially in the preceding and following year(s), which you yourself have deemed "awful". :wink:

"Dark Moon" is of a unique calibre, I feel. There is something special about that recording that harks back to the Sun/early RCA era.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:Dark Moon ... a home recording destined to remain unheard for 15 years ...

19 years -- taped in 1966, released on A Golden Celebration (RCA) in 1985.

Yes! That's the one! And that's still the one with the longest (and complete?) version, isn't it? It's a terrible shame they cut the performance short on "The Home Recordings".

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:37 am

woodleyjohn wrote:Some are awful, some aren't, but it's only your opinion, which counts for less than nothing.

Yeah, what do I know, especially when compared to YOU, woodyjohn.

Please return when you have something positive to add to a topic -- there's always a first time!