My Babe
Runaway
Let it Be Me
It's Your Baby, You Rock It
Little Cabin on the Hill
For Ol' Times Sake

25 of the best from me

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:24 pm

i also feel like elvis's version of the first time ever i saw your face is also overlooked, as well as his version of alway on my mind. 2 great vocal songs as he first recorded them before anyone else, but rca again missed releaseing them on time

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:48 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Indescribably Blue may be the most overlooked and underrated record Elvis ever did. A masterpiece!

*smacks head*

Yes! I can't believe I forgot that one!

"Indescribably Blue" is absolutely breathtaking.

Here's another head smacker for you Cryo: Anything That's Part of You.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:13 pm

pete i totally agree "anything thats part of you",, i forgot it also

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:41 pm

I don't know. Most of the songs mentioned here are anything but "overlooked". Somebody mentioned Too Much, Surrender, I Need Your Love Tonight, A Mess Of Blues, Suspicion. All smash hits. Then all the TTWII stuff that's totally famous from the film and the album. T-R-O-U-B-L-E "overlooked"? Hello? :roll: Stranger In My Own Hometown, Big Boss Man, Long Black Limousine, Doing The Best I Can, Pocketful of Rainbows, Lawdy Miss Clawdy(!) ... I could go on forever ...

Where in God's name are these songs "overlooked"?? Or what does "overlooked" mean to you? To me anything that was on a Top 100 single or album can hardly be called "overlooked".

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:49 pm

I´ll go for Indescribably Blue

O.S.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:17 pm

see-see-rider wrote:I don't know. Most of the songs mentioned here are anything but "overlooked". Somebody mentioned Too Much, Surrender, I Need Your Love Tonight, A Mess Of Blues, Suspicion. All smash hits. Then all the TTWII stuff that's totally famous from the film and the album. T-R-O-U-B-L-E "overlooked"? Hello? :roll: Stranger In My Own Hometown, Big Boss Man, Long Black Limousine, Doing The Best I Can, Pocketful of Rainbows, Lawdy Miss Clawdy(!) ... I could go on forever ...

Where in God's name are these songs "overlooked"?? Or what does "overlooked" mean to you? To me anything that was on a Top 100 single or album can hardly be called "overlooked".

See See Rider -
I believe we're talking in terms of the general public. For example not a whole lot of folks know that Elvis recorded T*R*O*U*B*L*E or Big Boss Man.

Also modestly charting singles such as Indescribably Blue or the b-side Anything That's Part of You are probably not familiar to the general public.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:41 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
see-see-rider wrote:I don't know. Most of the songs mentioned here are anything but "overlooked". Somebody mentioned Too Much, Surrender, I Need Your Love Tonight, A Mess Of Blues, Suspicion. All smash hits. Then all the TTWII stuff that's totally famous from the film and the album. T-R-O-U-B-L-E "overlooked"? Hello? :roll: Stranger In My Own Hometown, Big Boss Man, Long Black Limousine, Doing The Best I Can, Pocketful of Rainbows, Lawdy Miss Clawdy(!) ... I could go on forever ...

See See Rider -
I believe we're talking in terms of the general public. For example not a whole lot of folks know that Elvis recorded T*R*O*U*B*L*E or Big Boss Man.

Also modestly charting singles such as Indescribably Blue or the b-side Anything That's Part of You are probably not familiar to the general public.

very well put pete yes songs the overall general public may not know he did, plus also not often played by djs back then also not adverised by rca a lot like his bigger hits were

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:10 am

Alot of people don't know Elvis cut T-R-O-U-B-L-E. They think it's a Travis Tritt song! Some people still have no clue that Elvis cut "Blue Moon" althought it's been available to listen to since 1956!
The general public doesn't know crap about Elvis beyond a certain 5-10 common Elvis songs.
When 20/20 did a special TV segment about Lisa Marie Presley a few years ago, they played audio of "Love Me Tender" - if they knew anything at all about Elvis and Elvis' daughter, the music played would've been "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" which he often sang to her at Vegas shows she attended. But the producers don't know that. All they know is that a pretty Elvis song is....... "Love Me Tender" ....... it's a no-brainer Elvis cliche song.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:38 am

Jesse Garon wrote:The general public doesn't know crap about Elvis beyond a certain 5-10 common Elvis songs.

Probably. But that goes for nearly every artists. Ask people for five songs by Frank Sinatra and they'll say My Way and Theme From New York, New York. Probably Stranger In The Night, Something Stupid and Mack The Knife. And that's it. Today people don't even know that Sinatra recorded probably the first concept album ever. Still that doesn't make neither In The Wee Small Hours nor one of its songs "overlooked" records, I guess.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:16 am

I would have to go with Pieces of my life.If ever there was a song that Elvis put meaning to it was this one.I know there is a verse he didn't sing but he sang it like it was written for him.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:19 am

Pete Dube wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Indescribably Blue may be the most overlooked and underrated record Elvis ever did. A masterpiece!

*smacks head*

Yes! I can't believe I forgot that one!

"Indescribably Blue" is absolutely breathtaking.

Here's another head smacker for you Cryo: Anything That's Part of You.

Close. But no cigar. It's an underrated gem, that's for sure, but it's not on the scale of "Indescribably Blue" or "It Hurts Me".

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:27 am

I couldn't agree more Pete! A total classic which the record company and Elvis had high hopes for when it was released. Alas, Presley's street-cred was in a slump then and it didnt achieve what it might have done. But had it been recorded and released a few years earlier, I feel this would've been one of his alltime biggest singles. Still, at least we like it.

Others I'd include are It Hurts Me, the simple but beautiful In My Way and Forget Me Never, and from the 50's Tell Me Why and Aint That Lovin You Baby.

.... and up until a few short years ago I would have included A Little Less Conversation! :D

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:18 am

It's hard to define "overlooked" here, but I'd rather go with songs that rarely pop up on "best of" compilations.
Indescribably Blue is one such. Nice to see it come up on "Elvis By The Presleys" and in such good sound!!
It's hard to think that any B-side to any of Elvis' golden singles or songs form golden EP's or albums, can be described as overlooked.
To me, it's more like songs I would like for more people to listen to.
Songs the general public normally would not come across because they would never have bought the album. From the period between 1965-1968
I came to think og songs like: Animal Instinct, So Close Yet So Far, This Is My Heaven, Sand Castles, Hard Luck, Stop Look And Listen, I'll Be Back, City By Night, How Can You Loose What You Never Had, Suppose (long version), Goin' Home ao.
From the 70's I wish more attention to songs like: Stranger In The Crowd, Mary In The Morning, Twenty Days And Twenty Nights, Just Pretend, It's Your Baby Your Rock It, Tomorrow Never Comes, The Fool, I'm Leaving, Never Been To Spain, It's Impossible, For Lovin' Me, Early Morning Rain, Find Out What's Happening, For Ol' Time Sake, I've Got A Thing About You Baby, Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues, Loving Arms, Lovesong Of The Year, Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain, Love Coming Down ao.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:11 am

Another song that Elvis covered I think that is very underrated is "Help Me".

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:53 am

Pete Dube wrote:For example not a whole lot of folks know that Elvis recorded T*R*O*U*B*L*E.

No, they don't. It is looked upon as a Travis Tritt song. A few years back, I had to show a few folks that this was not a "new" song. They had no idea, and were pleasantly surprised.

On a side note...people here in Indiana have nothing bad to say about Elvis whether they are a fan or not. We take pride in the fact that Elvis' last show was in our state (even though not by choice). There are not a lot of songs by Elvis that are "overlooked" here.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:35 am

bajo wrote:(...) Goin' Home ao.

Interesting you name this one because I just wanted to mention it as my personal choice of an overlooked song. First it didn't get into the film (which is sad IMO), then it was released on what probably was Elvis' least successful original album ever (or waas it Clambake?) and has never really shown up anywhere, has it? It wasn't on the 60ies boxset, it wasn't on Command Performances. So this is what I call "overlooked".

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:28 pm

see-see-rider: Actually, Bobby Darin had the monster hit with Mack The Knife.

As for In The Wee Small Hours by FS: What a great song and album. I have all the "concept" albums, but haven't listened to any in awhile.

Goin' Home was originally released as a bonus track on the Speedway soundtrack.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:42 am

They remind me too much of you
The sound of your cry
Where no one stands alone
She's not you (Even though it's on the Elvisnumberones CD, I always get the feeling this song is overlooked.)
I'll remember you (the original 60's recording)
For Ol' Times sake (This is also one of the best songs ever recorded in my opinion. When I listen to it, I always have to cry or get tears in my eyes. Emotional son of a bitch.
It's easy for you
It's a matter of time
In my way
Loving Arms
Such a night
Where did they go Lord (Elvis is very convincing vocally in this song)
Gentle on my mind

AND....

Padre! :roll: :wink:

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:34 am

One of my favorite under-rated and overlooked tracks - "Just Pretend".
If memory serves, it wasn't even released on single. A damn shame!!

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:43 pm

This is a very underrated song:

Renan wrote:LOVE ME, LOVE THE LIFE I LEAD

Listening to it just now, I feel this one has to be spotlighted. The lyrics completely embody Elvis in every way, shape and form. And his singing shows that he understands that. It's an amazing record. While an issue could be made of the overdubs, I suppose, they seem to fit, and are certainly no more obtrusive than anything done to "Only The Strong Survive" and "In The Ghetto" on "From Elvis in Memphis" (in fact, I find those overdubs a lot more incongruous). This song is one of his most honest and autobiographical ever. I can't believe it was left off "The Essential 70's Masters"! ("It's Easy For You" is another staggering omission that comes to mind). The 1970's was a can of worms for Elvis, and it seems to be a can of worms for everyone else, too. No one can cover this decade -- not Ernst, not Guralnick, not EPE -- without falling short. I'm still waiting for someone to do it justice.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:30 pm

Most people do not like the song(performance) and this includes EP originally... it is too high for his voice is reason that should have been left in the can and not released in 73 after Aloha. I like it a little but think it does not cut the mustard in the form the vocal track was left.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:27 pm

It's unfinished, i agree without the overdubs and some more work from EP & the the band added, this could have been a great track. I view it almost the same way as "It's Different Now" which was shelved too. Those songs never really got past rehearsal stage. Then of course the reasons behind RCA releasing the song on a risible Fool record couple of years later are another matter...

Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 pm

JLGB wrote:Most people do not like the song(performance) and this includes EP originally... it is too high for his voice is reason that should have been left in the can and not released in 73 after Aloha. I like it a little but think it does not cut the mustard in the form the vocal track was left.

Not really too high for his voice, he was just not firing on all cylinders in those May 1971 sessions generally. You can actually spot a May 1971 vocal before you know for sure if it was recorded at that session.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:42 pm

For me: What Now My Love.

What a song. And hardly be found on any album besides Aloha although it would have enough power to stand in its own right, side by side with studio recordings. Glad to see it on the new genre CDs.

Btw, is there any other album out, where it is included? Besides Aloha and the soundboards?

Peter