THE GIRL I NEVER LOVED
IT HURTS ME
INDESCRIBABLY BLUE
MINE
CHANGE OF HABIT
LOVE ME, LOVE THE LIFE I LEAD

AND MANY OTHERS!!

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:43 pm

jak wrote:How about "What Now,What's Next,Where Too".Not a classic I suppose but I think his vocals are great on it.
Jak

I do agree. Listen to this song turning the radio volume very loud and let Elvis voice float in the room.
Simply great!

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:44 pm

It's such a shame that BMG didn't follow up 2nd to None with a CD of "hidden gems" or whatever they could call it... I know many people who would love a release like that (general music lovers, that is, not Elvis fans)... That is probably the only compilation at the moment I think there is a need for.
Songs like I Just Can't Help Believing, How The Web Was Woven, For Ol' Times Sake, Tomorrow Is A Long Time, I've Got A Thing About You Baby, It Hurts Me, Reconsider Baby, Tell Me Why, Power Of My Love, and so on...
The "Artist Of The Century" 3 CD-set was pretty good, mixing hits with less known songs... But it's just so frustrating that about 80% of Elvis's catalogue is unknown to most people.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:18 pm

'I'm Counting on You' is a good song that doesn't get much mention - very good if somewhat 'raw' performance.

I've got a soft spot for 'Fountain of Love' as well.

Andrew

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:43 pm

Fountain of Love
A girl like you, a boy like me
Lets forget about the stars
Just tell her Jim said hello
Do you Know who I am
For Ol Times sake
Are you Sincere

These are just off the top of my head. Frankly about 60% of the sixties boxset is overlooked.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

It made the Top 40, but should have done much better: Big Boss Man.

You Don't Know Me (single version).

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:16 pm

I'm with all you friends. And what about "Danny Boy"? To me is one of the best Elvis' performances ever, live and in studio. Sung with astonishing passion and emotion, the end is simply breathtaking. Talking with a friend of mine from Scotland, so with strong celtic roots, he told me that Elvis' version of this song is one of the best versions if not the best he'd ever heard, and he heard thousands. This performance makes you understand why Elvis is so adored as vocalist. At the end of the song I have to admit that I had to dry some tears and my girlfriend who was reading a book without giving attention to the music stopped to read and said: "What a beautiful song!!!"

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:31 pm

Yes Danny Boy is great!

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:34 pm

for the heart
too much
don't
for ol times sake
i miss you

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:08 pm

Fountain Of Love is a masterpiece. Consider that song and Memories for the fluent virtuoso guitar-stylings.
Funny how when ranking "the Great Guitar Gods of the 60s" the guys playing for Elvis are never mentioned; always overlooked and underappreciated.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:13 pm

Last edited by neckywoudje on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:39 pm

Our guy was great wasn't he. So many people knock the sixties for a lot of bad material, what about the great material and hidden gems. How about a voice that matured and was brilliant and so unique.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:03 pm

Joe Car wrote:Our guy was great wasn't he. So many people knock the sixties for a lot of bad material, what about the great material and hidden gems. How about a voice that matured and was brilliant and so unique.
Speaking for myself I agree with you Joe Car but I see that as a given. The 60s gems everyone knows them. But a lot were not the MONSTER hits they deserved to be because they were hidden under tons of crap that only fans will even bother to look. That is why the 60s really need compiling to be seen by the mainstream if ever. I like Sinatra quite a bit but if he has a similar situation with a load of soundtracks to get a few (gems) off of each I'd Rather Have Nothing At All (pun) or get a die hard fan to burn me a compilation. :wink:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:24 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Indescribably Blue may be the most overlooked and underrated record Elvis ever did. A masterpiece!

*smacks head*

Yes! I can't believe I forgot that one!

"Indescribably Blue" is absolutely breathtaking.

The problem with threads like these is that people invariably begin listing practically every song that Elvis ever recorded.

Given the choice, I'd list almost every song Elvis recorded at American Sound Studios, for example - but I'd hardly call any of them overlooked. Ditto again for 1970. Ditto again for the entire "Elvis Is Back" album. Ditto for so many songs from so many years! But, all that aside, you haven't really heard him sing till you've heard his gospel recordings. Songs like "Crying in the Chapel", "Known Only To Him" and "He Knows Just What I Need" are masterpieces.

Some more of my personal faves:

"Gentle On My Mind" - A lovely recording of Glen Campbell's classic. I think I prefer the backing on the original but the voice of Elvis on the latter.

"Twenty Days And Twenty Nights" - The first ten seconds of this song, even before Elvis starts singing, captivate me. Smooth, slow, soulful, achy. Just a brilliant song.

"The Green, Green Grass of Home" - Tom Jones managed to be epic; Elvis manages to be heartfelt and intimate. That about sums this record up for me. Perfection.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:45 pm

Off the top of my head, I gotta go with "Mary in the Morning," "Stranger in the Crowd," "Faded Love," and "I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water." Also, I have always had a soft spot for "Heart Of Rome." Something about that song I've always liked...

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:29 pm

That's Someone You Never Forget
I'll Remember You
Long Black Limousine

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:45 pm

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry
I'm Coming Home
Too Much Monkey Business
Animal Instinct
Mary In The Morning
Stranger In The Crowd
Love Song Of The Year
Goin' Home
Sweet Angeline
Gentle On My Mind
Whole Lotta Shakin'
A Mess Of Blues
I Really Don't Want To Know
Doin' The Best I Can

and about 50 others . . .

Steve Morse

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:21 pm

It's A Long Lonely Highway
Kentucky Rain (Surprising how few non-fanatics have heard of it)
How The Web Was Woven
We Can Make The Morning
Long Black Limousine
Mary In The Morning
I've Lost You
T.R.O.U.B.L.E

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:06 pm

JLGB wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Our guy was great wasn't he. So many people knock the sixties for a lot of bad material, what about the great material and hidden gems. How about a voice that matured and was brilliant and so unique.
Speaking for myself I agree with you Joe Car but I see that as a given. The 60s gems everyone knows them. But a lot were not the MONSTER hits they deserved to be because they were hidden under tons of crap that only fans will even bother to look. That is why the 60s really need compiling to be seen by the mainstream if ever. I like Sinatra quite a bit but if he has a similar situation with a load of soundtracks to get a few (gems) off of each I'd Rather Have Nothing At All (pun) or get a die hard fan to burn me a compilation. :wink:

Very well put my friend!

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:18 pm

You`ll Never Walk Alone
Let Us Pray
A little Bit Of Green
If I`m A Fool
I`ll Be There
I Just Can`t Help Believing
Mary In The Morning
Susan When She Tried
It Ain`t No Big Thing
When I`m Over You
This Is Our Dance

Just to mention a few which came straight to my mind...

Overlooked Songs

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 pm

Let It Be Me is a very moving song dong with feeling

Re: Overlooked Songs

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:38 pm

mark wrote:Let It Be Me is a very moving song dong with feeling

Let It Be Me is a favourite of mine, what a class and elegance. I gave "Love Elvis" as present to a friend and when listened to this song was shocked by Elvis' great performance.
I love the live rendition of "It's impossible" too, absolutely perfect, moments like this put Elvis far at the top of live performers of all time.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:45 pm

"I would sell my very sooullllll and not......regret it"
That little stop at the end of "It's Impossible" is SUBLIME.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:15 am

I'm Left You're Right She's Gone
I Forgot to Remember to Forget
So Glad You're Mine
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
New Orleans
Crawfish
Young Dreams
Don't Ask Me Why
How's the World Treating You
Doing the Best I Can
Pocketful of Rainbows