All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

overlooked songs

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:52 am

here is my list of songs i think were overlooked or overshadowed by other songs
1. my little friend
2. do you know who i am
3. you'll think of me
4. mary in the morning
5. i got a thing about you baby
6. surrender
7. suspicion

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:54 am

I would say these;
-I got a thing about you baby
-Take good care of her
-Thinkin' about you
-Young and Beautiful
-Runaway

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:26 am

I've always preferred "Suspicion" over "Suspicious Minds". Don't ask me why. The latter is a more sophisticated rendition. But I think I've always favoured EP's voice on the former. "Suspicious Minds" talks about the mutual fallibility between two lovers and "Suspicion" is the private anguish of the man; somehow, that anguish gets captured really well when the chorus begins; the short-sharp string plucking, and Elvis' tart delivery of the word "suspicion", seems to put the accusatory/hurtfulness across incredibly well, bumping the song further up in my mind.

"Today, Tomorrow and Forever" from Viva Las Vegas is a gorgeous track. Elvis delivers one of the most delicate vocals of his career. This is all the proof you need that this man was about subtlety and delicate vocal shading over sheer power and fancy gymnastics. And, more than that, it's just such a beautiful song.

"Tomorrow Is A Long Time" was given appalling record placement and never earnt the respect it deserves. Bob Dylan called it the best cover of a song of his anybody ever did. 'Nuff said. In fact, there are several songs from this period that are woefully overlooked: "Big Boss Man" and "Hi Heel Sneakers" being primary examples. But there's a knockout here...

"It Hurts Me". To me, after maybe "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and "Surrender", this song is perhaps the most flawlessly sung entry in Elvis' entire catalogue. It is an absolutely astonishing vocal performance through and through. Elvis is at once soft and fragile like a flower and strong and forceful like a raging bull. Singing just doesn't get any better than this. As a statement for an anguished lover looking to a woman he desperately wants but can't have, this song hits a very specific emotional spot, too. An absolute must have.

"Songbird" has such quiet little lyrics and such a mellifluous delivery by Elvis that it's one of my personal favourites. Perhaps it's not overlooked, per se, but this one is never far from my ear.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:28 am

i agree with you remarks,,









Cryogenic wrote:I've always preferred "Suspicion" over "Suspicious Minds". Don't ask me why. The latter is a more sophisticated rendition. But I think I've always favoured EP's voice on the former. "Suspicious Minds" talks about the mutual fallibility between two lovers and "Suspicion" is the private anguish of the man; somehow, that anguish gets captured really well when the chorus begins; the short-sharp string plucking, and Elvis' tart delivery of the word "suspicion", seems to put the accusatory/hurtfulness across incredibly well, bumping the song further up in my mind.

"Today, Tomorrow and Forever" from Viva Las Vegas is a gorgeous track. Elvis delivers one of the most delicate vocals of his career. This is all the proof you need that this man was about subtlety and delicate vocal shading over sheer power and fancy gymnastics. And, more than that, it's just such a beautiful song.

"Tomorrow Is A Long Time" was given appalling record placement and never earnt the respect it deserves. Bob Dylan called it the best cover of a song of his anybody ever did. 'Nuff said. In fact, there are several songs from this period that are woefully overlooked: "Big Boss Man" and "Hi Heel Sneakers" being primary examples. But there's a knockout here...

"It Hurts Me". To me, after maybe "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and "Surrender", this song is perhaps the most flawlessly sung entry in Elvis' entire catalogue. It is an absolutely astonishing vocal performance through and through. Elvis is at once soft and fragile like a flower and strong and forceful like a raging bull. Singing just doesn't get any better than this. As a statement for an anguished lover looking to a woman he desperately wants but can't have, this song hits a very specific emotional spot, too. An absolute must have.

"Songbird" has such quiet little lyrics and such a mellifluous delivery by Elvis that it's one of my personal favourites. Perhaps it's not overlooked, per se, but this one is never far from my ear.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:29 am

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:I would say these;
-I got a thing about you baby
-Take good care of her
-Thinkin' about you
-Young and Beautiful
-Runaway


i agree with thinking about you and young and beautiful

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:31 am

Suspicion isn't a bad little song.

The arrangement lets it down, or the backing at any rate.

It seems kinda restrictive and clunky somehow.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 am

How about "What Now,What's Next,Where Too".Not a classic I suppose but I think his vocals are great on it.
Jak

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:30 am

I have an affinity for that song.

It is well sung - but one of the reasons I listen to it a lot is because I can hit all the same notes (and there's a lot of other songs I can't say that for).

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:45 am

Too much

I need your love tonight

A mess of blues

Surrender

Suspicion

It hurts me

You'll be gone

Ill remember you

Just call me lonesome

You dont know me

Wearing that loved on look

Power of my love

Stranger in my own home town

My little friend

Without love

Long black limosine

Youll think of me

Patch it up

Where did they go lord

Ive lost you

Tomorrrow nver comes

mary in the morning

faded love

Ive got a thing about you baby

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:47 am

The '60s - I firmly believe Elvis never sang a bad song in Nashville the entire decade. "It Hurts Me" has been for years my number one favorite Elvis' song. In fact, it may be my best song by anyone period!

Mystery Train

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:18 am

What about the haunting I'm Leavin'? A very underrated single.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:30 am

jak wrote:How about "What Now,What's Next,Where Too".Not a classic I suppose but I think his vocals are great on it.


You're right, good song.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:37 am

Bringing It Back is really beautiful to me.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:29 am

JLGB wrote:Bringing It Back is really beautiful to me.

I agree, it is a very beautiful song.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:36 am

by the public, For Ol Time Sake is a very overlooked song. guarenteed, Elvis's voice is not the best when he recorded it, but he brings it to a sadness not heard in many other recordings. i like the song, and i sing it, but i can't bring it to the sadness that Elvis ever did. he cretes this situation that makes it 'painfully beautiful listening'. let me explain, the mood is so sad its painful and emotional to endure, but he some how makes it exquisitely beautiful

there are so many to list. i think out of the hits Elvis recorded, we still have'nt heard the very best of him yet

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:42 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:we still have'nt heard the very best of him yet


He's been gone for nearly 29 years. When do you think we'll be hearing his best?

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:46 am

Indescribably Blue may be the most overlooked and underrated record Elvis ever did. A masterpiece!

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:47 am

i mean the hits that have been released i don' think have shown his best

close contender would be 'suspicious minds', thats still a pretty good track by todays standards
i think some thing like ' bridge over troubled water' or 'you've lost that loving feeling'

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:51 am

i was going to list that. thats a really under rated track

also, one i think that is under rated by fans and the public alike

his version of 'you don't know me' from the septmber 67 sessions. i think thats a beautiful piece

lord, there is too much to list. Elvis has so many songs, but really, so little became hits. normally wth artists, they don't have that much to offer, though i will make exceptions for Bob Dylan for example. but way beyond the hits, Elvis had a moutain load of stuff. i truly love being a fan, he has soem of the best music ever

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:58 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:For Ol Time Sake is a very overlooked song. guarenteed, Elvis's voice is not the best when he recorded it


Elvis' vocals are perfect for this song. He is singing exactly the way he feels. The line, you could go where I could never find you, but could you go far enough to get away from your heart was beautifully written (as was the entire song) and the pain suffered in the song was captured magnificently by our guy.

It remains one of my favorite songs that he recorded and I wouldn't change a thing about it if I could.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:04 am

ok Rob, you don't need to post it 2 times to get your point across :lol:

but i agree, still a beautiful song. i don't think that single line is special, THE WHOLE SONG IS. right from the first word to the last, he keeps that feeling all through it. the mood created is FLAWLESS. Rob, one of my fave tracks too :)

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:13 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:ok Rob, you don't need to post it 2 times to get your point across


Anyone else seeing double? I think it's past your bedtime, young man.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:07 am

Pete Dube wrote:Indescribably Blue may be the most overlooked and underrated record Elvis ever did. A masterpiece!

Absolutely. I love that song.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:16 am

"Wear my ring around your neck". If you ask a non-fan this title, I don't think they would know it.
One of Elvis' most wild and un-inhibited vocals.
I wish he had sung this live on the Sinatra show instead of "stuck on you"
Or maybe live in 1961. Or even live in 1970.
It would have been great.
Rumors are he attempted it in rehearsal in 1975.
That would be interesting to hear.
One of my all time favs.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:00 pm

Elvis' 'Suspicion' is a perfect record as far as I'm concerned.