December 31st, 1975

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

Funny note from Pontiac:

Charlie Hodge broke the ice on stage right after the suit change..
Elvis supposed to have said: What do we do next Charlie?
Charlie: Take it home Elvis!
Elvis: We can't do that, they're gonna kill us!

Too bad he didn't do Burning Love & Mystery train in Pontiac, regular songs in Las Vegas December'75..

Pete Dube
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Pete Dube »

Robert wrote: Too bad he didn't do Burning Love & Mystery train in Pontiac, regular songs in Las Vegas December'75..
I was thinking that too Robert when I listened to it last night. The second part of the show was a bit ballad heavy and could've used another rocker or two.

Many thanks to Johanesson for putting this show up for those of us who don't have it to enjoy. Elvis is in very good form and voice overall.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Re: December 31st, 1975

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Factors in a less-favorable review:

- Elvis not at his physical best
- unusual stage set-up ruined chemistry of band and singer
- cold made band's instruments go out of tune
- pre-show was crap
- main show shorter, less "hit-filled" than perhaps expected

And he had to leave the stage to change his outfit after the pants ripped. That couldn't have helped the flow of the evening.....
:lol: :lol:

I have to say I was beside myself when I first heard he had actually done such a thing (on more than one occasion?) especially as this "plea" in "Suspicious Minds" (when done live) was exactly about this very fear.
What part of the show is that? I want to find the "before/ after" part of those audio links.

I don't care how legendary you are but ripping your pants on stage is very vaudeville. We loved ya, E, but it was time to retire the jumpsuits or hit the gym.. :oops: :lol: You can't give your enemies more rope than that! :roll:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote: I don't care how legendary you are but ripping your pants on stage is very vaudeville. We loved ya, E, but it was time to retire the jumpsuits or hit the gym.. :oops: :lol:
In addition to hitting the gym a months worth of eating fruits & veggies and laying off the starches would've helped. :lol:

Ramiro
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Ramiro »

I've been listening this concert from http://www.wonderful-world-of-elvis.com/pontiac1975.html and despite the very bad sound of the audience recording I have to say that Elvis sounded very good and the concert itself looks better than I expected after reading some bad reviews since time ago. The only exception is "My Way" where he is completely lost, this is very strange because he and the band were doing this song live since years ago. Another thing that sounds strange to me after years singing "My Way" is Elvis saying (if I understand well) "I don't know the words so I have to read it". I've been listening the "Elvis In Concert" CD (1977) and he says it again before the song. Was this a joke of really had he to read the words for My Way?
Of course, it's only a curiosity that I have, it is not very important if he sometimes had to read some words, I've seen artists reading all the words when performing live or at least having some helps, and we must see the difficult Elvis' condition in many senses during these years.

Spanish_Eyes
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

I really don´t believe the story about Elvis not knowing the lyrics to My Way and having to read it. He had been doing it since 1972 (apart from the 1971 studio version)!! I think he did it more for the dramatic effect of droping the sheet in the middle of the song. But, it also puzzles me that he read the lyrics during the Aloha version, so I am not 100% sure.

bajo

Post by bajo »

Isn't it strange how this man can be one of the best selling recording artists in history? One of the world's most famous names?
ELVIS, simply ELVIS! And we are in 2006!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Here's the scoop: Elvis simply had a "mental block" regarding the first verse of "My Way."

Even during the 1973 "Aloha" broadcast he is fearful of forgetting the words that start the song, so he "sneaks a peek" over at the music stand by Charlie.

Inspect any version where Elvis uses the lyric sheet, he's OK after getting past the first verse, usually discarding the page in dramatic fashion (for example, see Binghamton in May 1977).

And that's the way it is.

DJC

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's the scoop: Elvis simply had a "mental block" regarding the first verse of "My Way."

Even during the 1973 "Aloha" broadcast he is fearful of forgetting the words that start the song, so he "sneaks a peek" over at the music stand by Charlie.

Inspect any version where Elvis uses the lyric sheet, he's OK after getting past the first verse, usually discarding the page in dramatic fashion (for example, see Binghamton in May 1977).

And that's the way it is.

DJC

Another scene that comes to mind is in "Elvis: That's The Way It Is" when he's talking about forgetting the words to "I Just Can't Help Believing" and he says, "If I can get through the first verse I've got it made, man!"

Also, if you'll notice....Elvis screwed up the first part of the lyrics to "Johnny B. Goode' in the Aloha show.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Rob

Post by Rob »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's the scoop: Elvis simply had a "mental block" regarding the first verse of "My Way."
The Doc is right.

There is tons of video of Elvis singing this song. After the first verse, he no longer needed the lyrics sheet. Remember in TTWII when he is worried about the words to I Just Can't Help Believin'? He says that he will be fine if he can just get through the first verse.

Same thing with My Way (even though I don't find any dramatics in throwing the lyrics sheet on the floor.)

drjohncarpenter

Rob wrote:The Doc is right.
Thanks, Rob. Do you think the above phrase is overused on this MB?

DJC

Rob

Post by Rob »

Don't know, Doc. I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Scatter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:The Doc is right.
Thanks, Rob. Do you think the above phrase is overused on this MB?

DJC
I'm going to take that less-than-subtle stab at self promotion as an homage to our recently departed Maurice Colgan :wink:

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

The Pontiac show sounds OK, from the audience recording, but he sure wasn't at his best... he performed at lot better in June/July '75... And yes, it is a bit ballad-heavy, especially the second half! All ballads except for "Hound Dog". And why on earth did he attempt "Wooden Heart"? Not a good way to end the show! In Pittsburgh it was much more of party atmosphere, Elvis seemed to realize it was New Year's eve and that the audience wanted to have a good time.

drjohncarpenter

Scatter wrote:I'm going to take that less-than-subtle stab at self promotion as an homage to our recently departed Maurice Colgan ...
Not self-promotion, just a pinch of my always-delightful humour.

Of course, if Maurice has indeed left the MB, I'll gladly kick down $1.00 towards a statue in Cork to remember his tremendous contribution here.

DJC

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Scatter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scatter wrote:I'm going to take that less-than-subtle stab at self promotion as an homage to our recently departed Maurice Colgan ...
Not self-promotion, just a pinch of my always-delightful humour.

As my post was a pinch of mine :wink:

Of course, if Maurice has indeed left the MB, I'll gladly kick down $1.00 towards a statue in Cork to remember his tremendous contribution here.

Is that a statue made IN Cork or a statue OF cork??
DJC

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by likethebike »

The show couldn't have been that great with Elvis without direct contact with the musicians an essential component of his music. Also, the musicians reported that it was so cold their instruments were changing keys mid-song.

One thing about the reviews mentioning Elvis being 40 you have to remember he was staking out new ground here. Who in 1956 ever thought there would be a 40-year-old rock star?

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I don't know if you scanned some of those free clips on the site above, LTB, but from what little I heard he's in decent fettle.

You are right about the then-novelty of the 40-year rock star, that idea I think is now laughable when you consider today how young 42 is and just how long ago active and quasi-active rockers like Neil Young, Cream, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones were 42 years old.

Most of this '60/'70s rock crowd turned 42 between 1983 and 1987 and still sell out stadium after stadium whenever they feel like firing up the old tour bus.

In this way, Elvis was indeed paving new ground. The Stones today regularly get senior citizen gibes about their unretiring ways, but they by and large pulled off the '06 Super Bowl half-time show from all accounts.

It's quite remarkable, really. Most of the ideas about getting old ("hope I die before I get old") seem rather quaint, especially when the Who has refused to go off into the sunset as they all near pensioner status.

Perhaps they are all tapping into that energetic vibe that allowed Muddy Waters to "rock" into his 60s or Albert King until age 70 or B.B. King today still going at 80. Many a country singer sounds riper at 65 or 70 then they did at 40 as well (Willie Nelson, George Jones, Merle Haggard, and even Lorretta Lynn)...

Shed the songs of overtly teen references, and a lot of "old rock" still works. "Grit" is something age adds to blues, country or soul and I think in some cases for rock as well. Elvis of course was a multi-genre performer so his early demise was especially premature as many singers remain evergreen into their 70s.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

I just listened to "Rock Back The Clock", released by Straight Arrow back in 2007. The sound is very good for an off-line-recording made in such a vast arena and the artwork is also done nicely.

The show itself is obviously based on the King's recent Vegas appearances and to me it's not a bad concert at all. I know it was cold, I know Elvis did not like the setup of the stage (which he could have changed, if he had cared for the show) and I am aware that his suit got damaged and had to be changed. But still it was an entertaining show with a nice set list. The only letdown was the crappy performance of "My Way", Elvis certainly should have left this one out, because he obviously had just a vague idea about the lyrics. When it was time to finish, he suddenly started to sing "Muss I denn, muss I denn zum Städtele hinaus" (which means something like "I have to leave town") and decided to do the English version called "Wooden Heart". A second or two later he made up his mind again and wanted to go ahead with his usual closing number.

Because the recording is quite good, it is obvious that Elvis was in full control and that he was singing well. The pictures reveal that he did not look good, but I am pretty sure that I would have considered it a good concert if I had attended that night.

PS: I will not write a book (not even an e-book) to prove that the show was no disaster. :wink: