Best concert album released during Elvis' lifetime?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

DarrylMac
Registered for: 21 years

Post by DarrylMac »

If I was nitpicking, ALL of Elvis live material was recorded while he was alive! :D The orginal thread was albums released during his lifetime.

I'd go for On Stage - an album that at the time was 100% new material - 10 covers done by Elvis, and all were such fantastic performances, in great sound quality.

If the MSG album was released in the same sound quality as the Memphis allbum, it'd be a world beater, but the tinny sound stops this making it for me.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mike ... my goodness.
Mike Eder wrote:In fact, except for the shows done in September and October 1974, almost every show from 3-74 to 12-75 is terrific.
You MUST be kidding.
Mike Eder wrote:Let Me Be There is NOT pop in Elvis' hands it is a swamp rock tour de force.
Swamp rock? OK, now I know you're kidding.
Mike Eder wrote:Having Fun is something Elvis did not approve of, but it was originally pressed on boxcar for charity.
Stop it, you're killing me! But "colonel" Tom says thanks.
Mike Eder wrote:I for do think Are You Lonesome Tonight was funny and deliberately so. CC Rider and That's Allright are terrific vocally and Elvis playing rock guitar again shows that he was not dead as an artist.
No, no and no. In fact, Elvis doesn't play ANY guitar on "C.C. Rider."

DJC

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

best concert

Post by Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff »

... "let me be there" : swamp rock ? Right on! Its like Tony Joe meets CCR! HAR!HAR!HAR!HAR! You silly jumpsuit junkies...

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Sorry Mike, but I have to disagree about Let Me Be There. It was a pleasant enough country pop song, well delivered by Elvis, but nothing more than that.

Also, I have to agree with the Doc - yes, there were some great shows, standout performances, and great tours between March 74 and Dec 75, but to say they were all terrific might be overdoing it a bit.

The FTD of the Memphis show is much improved from the original release, and maybe gives us, for now, the best sounding representation of a tour show, with Elvis having much more fun than he did on MSG or Aloha, but it's still a long way from the awesome Aug 70 shows, which for me give the best balance of a polished, rehearsed band, and Elvis delivering the right mix of contempory material, and still giving respect to some of the oldies.

bajo

Post by bajo »

Regarding Elvis' treatment of his 'oldies', I think that Recorde Live On Stage In Memphis is one of the better concerts. He's in good spirit, good voice and enjoys the show. It's a pleasure, listening to this album.

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Well what a reaction! I feel most of you disagreed with class but a few of you didn't. I see no need to justify what I personally like but I want to see my views get a proper defense. Ger most of my comments to you are private but see my remarks on swamp rock below. Dr John I am not going to get in a debate with you, as you NEVER have conceded a point. In fact when you insult me I consider it an honor (tongue firmly in cheek). However several books described the boxcar issue of Having Fun as a LP where the proceeds went to charity. Prove me wrong. Also please watch the 1977 CC Rider again, Elvis may just strum a few chords but he does play on it. Now Felton may of mixed him out of the soundtrack but that is a moot point.

I like a lot of albums and things about Elvis that go against the critical norm. I think for myself on everything I like or dislike and won’t be bullied into joining the general consensus. Too bad more of you do feel the same way.I unapologetically offer the following to all of you. I like aspects of the 1977 special but certainly don't think its prime Elvis. I stick by what I said I like Let Me Be There and because of the musical arrangement is a good example of how Elvis and his band could inject a good barroom feel to unexpected sources. The horn, guitar, and drums are all quite southern in feel and do think it has qualities of swamp rock. Particularly with the down home reprise and cymbal work. I could see John Fogerty (who has done many "pop" songs) or Tony Joe (who has done many sugary ballads) easily doing this song. If Ike and Tina could do it, I think I am not amiss in saying that there are certain qualities in the song that lend it substance ONJ could never bring it. If you want to call it country rock instead fine that fits as well. Let Me Be There is not my favorite Elvis song or anything I just think it captures some of the fun of the 3-74 tour.

DarrylMac perhaps I am overstating it if you want to dissect every show. If you read my whole post you will see that I also consider Elvis' live shows before 1971 to be his best overall. However with a couple of exceptions I find the concerts of this era to be showcasing an artist that is having fun, and who is also putting a lot more country and rock back into his setlist. From 1-71 to 6-73 this relaxed quality is not present nearly as often. Do I think that the shows from 1971-3 are better? Yes in some ways, but I think for better or worse the shows from 3-74-12-75 are Elvis at his most open with his fans. He revealed many controversial things at times, but outside of a few shows I like his interplay, considerable humor, and insight. Dave Marsh once said Elvis was a public mute, he obviously did not attend the shows of this time. Please remember though I do exclude the shows from Collage Park to the end of 74. Otherwise I still find this a great era to hear him live. I am not blind to Elvis' decline, I feel Elvis really was erratic for most of 1976 excluding the last 3 tours and the studio work.

Denman your views are as good as anyone’s. I did not mean to make you feel like it wasn't. Unlike some of the people here I realize that my opinion is simply an opinion.

rockinrebel Elvis was marketed like a country artist after 1969. His records did a lot better on the country charts from then on and recording 2 to 3 LPs a year was normal for that market. I read an article in a local Memphis paper when this show was held and Elvis himself says that he wants to do the album thinking that his hometown audience added a good flavor to the music.

I rest my case.

Mike Eder

Denman
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Denman »

Mike Eder wrote:
Denman your views are as good as anyone’s. I did not mean to make you feel like it wasn't.
You don't. Others sometimes do.

"If this suit weren't too tight."

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Plenty of good ones, but only one "On Stage, February, 1970."

FVH
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by FVH »

In my book it is On Stage.
Funnily enough, it's the best sounding one of all live albums released in his life-time. Funny, because it's one of the earliest.

I know that it is difficult to debate on taste, but I can't understand that someone would choose Aloha. Pure perfection, one says, but in my opinion far from it.
It has some strong points, but they're few and far between.
Elvis, to me, seems almost out of it; dull performances and there's no power whatsoever until you come to What Now My Love and Trilogy.

I wish he could display the power from Madison Square Garden. Then I would have been proud to show the concert to someone. Now I'm not.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

i always liked 'Aloha from Hawaii' simply because it offered so many live songs and quite a few 'new' ones too.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Lennart
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Lennart »

It´s a tie between "In Person" and "Madison Square Garden".
When I first heard these two albums I was blown away, great stuff indeed.
On Stage is great and would be third on my list.

Regards

Lennart

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mike Eder wrote:Dr John I am not going to get in a debate with you ...
What's to debate?
Mike Eder wrote:In fact when you insult me ...
Where have I insulted you? I think you are referring to Ger's post.
Mike Eder wrote:... several books described the boxcar issue of Having Fun as a LP where the proceeds went to charity. Prove me wrong.
Four words: Boxcar = "colonel" Tom Parker. "How much does it cost if it's free?"
Mike Eder wrote:Also please watch the 1977 CC Rider again, Elvis may just strum a few chords but he does play on it. Now Felton may of mixed him out of the soundtrack but that is a moot point.
If you watch you'll notice the guitar does not have a mic, and could not have been part of any mix. And "a few chords" is not playing the guitar, it's simply an affectation. What Elvis did during the Dorsey shows or the June 1968 sit down gigs is called playing the guitar.

Don't worry, Mike, be happy. And trust the doc!

DJC

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

DarrylMac wrote:If I was nitpicking, ALL of Elvis live material was recorded while he was alive! :D The orginal thread was albums released during his lifetime.

I'd go for On Stage - an album that at the time was 100% new material - 10 covers done by Elvis, and all were such fantastic performances, in great sound quality.

If the MSG album was released in the same sound quality as the Memphis allbum, it'd be a world beater, but the tinny sound stops this making it for me.
I am with you 100% on this one.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:lol: actually you have a STRONG POINT with this! :roll:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

drjohncarpenter wrote:The best concert album released during Elvis' lifetime (08 Jan '35 - 16 Aug '77) has to be:

James Brown - Live at the Apollo - issued January 1963

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/6598117/24_live_at_the_apollo/

DJC
Now you're showing off again, Doc. Too cute by half. I might take B.B. King's "Live at the Regal (1966) over the great JB, but let's get back to Elvis. And take it easy on "'40 Post' Mike. Welcome, Mike. :lol:

Like so many of you, I like all of Elvis' live albums recorded during his lifetime for the different "flavor" each had, although I admit that the '74 Memphis one was a bit redundant, if more lively than the great but too stiff or fast in spots "Aloha."

MSG '72 has aged surprisingly well, but the rushed feeling remains a problem. (Some of EOT work surpassed it.)"On Stage" is still stellar and "In Person" is a revolution of sorts.

EIC had some great moments and meant a lot to me at the time of its release but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny when you consider his sad condition at the time. It's not in the same league as '69-70 Elvis, but in some ways, his mature full voice on some tunes was better than ever.

'69-73 Elvis is the best bet in "mixed" (non-fan) company. :oops: :lol:
ImageImage

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Thanks for those pictures

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Best concert album released during Elvis' lifetime?

Post by jurasic1968 »

MSG 1972