All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:53 am

ekenee wrote:N8 wrote: ----------------------------------------------

People can demonize The Col. all they want, but ........... I, for one, agree with The Col. on booting Geller. The Col., DID get things right sometimes, you know.

I disagree on a basic level. For starters I wouldn't capitalize colonel, since he wasn't a real colonel.

Just so people don't misunderstand me, ........... I'm no defender of "The Col.."

Parker was legally given the "Honorary" "Title"; hence, he did have a right to use it.

I agree, he really wasn't (a "Colonel"), of course -----------------> that's also why Elvis sometimes referred to him as "The Admiral." :lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for EP being "high":

One should always first consider the source, before getting too worked up over ignorant comments.

That said, ............... some people only see the NEGATIVE MYTH, especially with the '77 EP.

N8
... just a fan ....

PS - My thanks to Jim Dandy (& all) for this great thread. Always love this topic!

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:54 am

genesim wrote:Are my assumptions so wrong?

Yes, as usual, they are.

DJC

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:27 am

My assumption that Elvis wasn't high in 1977 months before his death of a drug overdose.

Ok Doc :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose you were there snapping those pictures to boot. :lol: :lol:

Reminds of the part in Splash "...just me and the moron twins...uh were not twins!"

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:08 am

If the only thing somebody can see & focus on ......... is the perception of a "high" Elvis, ........ then they are missing the entire point of this thread, the photos, & EP's trip to Hawaii.

------------------------------------------------

EP was refreshing his spirit & taking in the tonic that is "Hawaii." By all accounts, it succeeded (albeit, briefly).

It's was the last time in life that he was able to enjoy anything close to being a "normal" person (not touring, not holed up in a room - either on the road or Graceland, & not running around like a night-owl always having to avoid his perpetual followers).

It's a shame he didn't stay longer AND fell back into his routine shortly thereafter.

N8
... just a fan ....

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:23 am

genesim wrote:I repeat. High as a kite.

Some people see him having a ball, I see the very reason why he died.

Was he "high as a kite" when he falls backwards into Ronnie Tutt's drumkit whilst goofing around in the rehearsal footage of "That's The Way It Is"? Was he "high as a kite" when he drove his motorcycle through a fence and cut his face in the 60's"? Was he "high as a kite" when he pulled faces, made silly noises, pranced around and pulled jokes on people throughout his life?

I wouldn't be surprised if Elvis had some drugs in his system at that point (he was hopelessly addicted and chemically dependent on some), but you're making a far more extreme charge than that. I really don't think these images are the scientific proof you're making out - they're images of a man enjoying his rare privacy on holiday in the place he loved; not pictures of toxicology reports for Elvis' chemical intake that day.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:25 am

Gene:

I personally do not believe that Elvis was "high as a kite" in all these photos, and here's why.

Possibly the most intriguing aspect of the March 1977 vacation is how different Elvis seems from any other photos taken during this period. Indeed, aside from the bulging stomach and one or two shots where Elvis appears knackered, these photos could easily have been taken at any time in the preceding 8 years. I simply don't buy the notion that Elvis was bombed out on drugs every waking minute, even at this point in his life.

Elvis appears laughing and smiling in a number of photos. Great! How many vacation shots are you laughing or smiling in? Would you not think it was unusual if you appeared glum or depressed in every family holiday shot? Why do we stick to the notion that Elvis was incapable of having a good time, at least for a day, just for the sake of it? The answer, I think, lies in our own inability to apply more than one stereotype to any phase in Elvis' career. 1977=Elvis permanently stoned. This is clearly not the case. Of course, there were a large number of occasions when drugs had an adverse effect upon his constitution, most notably perhaps on August 16, but it was surely by no means a permanent condition. If it were, how come Elvis could be seen driving various motor vehicles on a number of occasions on public highways in the last 2 weeks of his life? When Elvis drove back into Graceland on the very day of his death he was not stoned.

I think we can look at the Hawaii vacation as an oasis in a desert. Elvis did, I think, have a great time there for a brief spell. When Elvis returned to resume touring in March, I think the reality and enormity of his situation hit him like an express train, and as a consequence he returned to drugs in a big way and, for the first and only time in his career, was not able to see the tour through.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:34 am

Stephen, that was a brilliant post!

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:56 am

There is no denying that Elvis was having fun. Most "high" people do.

The sad part is how so many people thought this as harmless. Then again, isn't that how you treat a clown? Someone you think is never going to die.

cryogenic wrote:Was he "high as a kite" when he falls backwards into Ronnie Tutt's drumkit whilst goofing around in the rehearsal footage of "That's The Way It Is"? Was he "high as a kite" when he drove his motorcycle through a fence and cut his face in the 60's"? Was he "high as a kite" when he pulled faces, made silly noises, pranced around and pulled jokes on people throughout his life?

Yes absolutely. Like he was in these pictures.

Stephen makes an excellent point, and I for the most part I do agree. It wasn't a permanent condition. It was something that could have been helped. The problem again is the kiss assses.

So many people are saying....oh look at how much fun he is having...looks so happy. la la la.

When the facts are that it is a sad sad sight. Its like overpraising a child. There is such a thing as too much. Just when E would have any kind of normal life, there are the leeches yukking it up.

What I think is sad is how certain people cannot tell how high he was. Yeah it is great that he is wearing civillian clothes. Yeah it is nice to see him on a vacation. Get over it. SEE the pictures. See what is there, not just what you want to be there.

Most real Elvis fans would admit this fact.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:08 am

EP was not perpetually "stoned" / "high" (since some obviously prefer these pejorative terms).

In fact, it was a common occurrence by the 70's for EP to have a drug "crash" during times of severe stressors in his life:

(A few examples ..)

1. October of 1973, right after his divorce became official. He almost died & was hospitalized.

2. January 1975, shortly after turning 40 ("Fat & Forty" in the media) & Vernon having a severe heart attack. He OD'ed on anti-depressants. Again, hospitalization.

3. August 1977. First tour POST-EWH(?) publication, etc.. The cards were not in his favor (Linda was gone, and gone @ EP's instigation), unfortunately, this time. Luck simply ran out.

----------------------------------------------------------

Some PERSPECTIVE here folks, is always helpful. It's pretty obvious that the prescribed meds. were EP's tool of choice - for coping.

N8
... just a fan ....

PS - I find these remarks as posted above:

"It is like he is the clown of the party and the rest are looking on like he is a sick sideshow."

Ignorantly offensive.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:02 am

Which part was offensive, the fact that it was true?

I am not saying Elvis is the sick sideshow, I am speaking about the ass kissers perception. Clapping like a bunch of seals.

Go ahead, keep with the rose colored glasses though.

So many experts on E's drug habits.

Yet one cannot ignore the evidence.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:25 am

and could it be possible, genesim, with all those examples listed (falling over into ronnie's drum set, doing oral on the mic, etc...) that that was just elvis being a dork? a dork as in people who like to goof off and do silly things...make silly noises...

if we go back to the few bits in the 50s where we see elvis making similar humor bits, do you somehow try to say he was 'stoned' there too? i think you'd find too many people laughing in your face if you tried to say the elvis who humped poor nipper was 'stoned'. is that not an example of how elvis' humor was always there...infantile, crude, silly, dorky...his type of humor was clearly consistant.

this is the same guy that in '61 sang things like "you seemed to change, you got fat", "you taught me how, to milk a cow..." and then in '69 sang "do you gaze at your bald head and wish you had hair..."

to me, it's not hard to believe that elvis in the latter '70s using similar jokes was just elvis being himself, rather than being so 'stoned' he couldn't sing a song straight. news for you! he didn't sing songs straight in the 50s or the 60s either. you give the guy less restrictions (a.k.a. no police coming to film him), and give him a live forum to be himself...he's gonna cut loose. and he did.

if you look at the hawaii pics, what i see is bloating in the stomach and face. however, look at those skinny, lanky arms and legs that look totally out of proportion.

in the picture of elvis reaching for the football on the ground, it looks like he had been running after it, and barely missed it...that action shot is usually one that happens when you reach out and take a fall while still reaching. elvis probably had just been running in that shot. and he's kinda doing the smile thing because he just missed the ball. it's not a pathetic weak shot, by any means. in fact, it proves that elvis was playing football, running and more than willing to goof off a bit.

com'on. use your brain. and stop trying to make wannabe albert goldman picture captions. :lol: that guy said elvis was stoned in any picture taken at an unflattering angle during incidents when he looked GREAT. he'd write, 'look at elvis' eyes' in a picture where his eyes are the size of pinpoints in the bitty photo and i'd say 'huh? where?' really, man. it's ridiculous to think that any picture taken in the '70s shows somebody who is high.

if we had thousands upon thousands of pictures of us photographed, i bet we'd all look just as 'stoned'. ever taken a picture of yourself when you're tired? 'nough said. also count in the amount of pictures taken of elvis when he probably was exhausted. i look exhausted in pictures where i wasn't just playing football either.

now i want to see your driver's license photos. let me see how many of you look stoned. i rest my case. :lol: my dad's driver's license has him with puppy dog eyes and his mouth hanging open--and he ain't stoned in it. people just don't have great luck all the time being photographed through life.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:38 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:com'on. use your brain. and stop trying to make wannabe albert goldman picture captions.

Ouch! I felt that one from here!

Gene -
You don't really want to be Albert Goldman, do you?

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:52 am

Rob wrote:
Elvis' Babe wrote:com'on. use your brain. and stop trying to make wannabe albert goldman picture captions.

Ouch! I felt that one from here!

Gene -
You don't really want to be Albert Goldman, do you?

From the mouth of Babes'... :smt033

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:02 am

I agree with Rob (& Elvis' Babe) on this one.

BRAVO !! "Elvis' Babe."

---------------------------------------------

Anybody who pegs me as wearing "rose-colored-glasses" simply isn't able to "t-h-i-n-k" at all.

----------------------------------------------

N8
... just a fan ....

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:17 am

Someone once said, Elvis made his best speeches on stage when he had the right level of drugs.
I think that sais it all.

Below that level..the engine didnĀ“t run ...

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:54 am

About Elvis being high all time. There's no doubt that he had stuff in his system all the time by 1977 but that doesn't mean he was stoned all the time. Also, it appears that his drug use increased when he was on the road because he took uppers before going on stage. That doesn't mean he was using drugs at the same level off tour.

I pointed out in another thread a while back that I find it strange that if Elvis was stoned all time how he was able to drive a motorcycle and a car without an accident. We have pictures of him driving a motorcycle just days before he died. Just hours before he died he was driving a car. If Elvis was as stoned all the time as Albert Goldman had us to believe there's no way Elvis had been able to steer a car out of Graceland without smashing into a wall.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:21 am

The subject of a thread certainly can change fast.

What started as Elvis' final vacation has turned into a thread about his drug usage and it only took less than two pages to get there.

Not bad!

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:28 am

true Rob

i think Elvis would be disappointed :(

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:35 am

Rob wrote:The subject of a thread certainly can change fast.

What started as Elvis' final vacation has turned into a thread about his drug usage and it only took less than two pages to get there.

Not bad!

This board goes through this phase about 4 times a year.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:43 pm

Rob wrote:The subject of a thread certainly can change fast.

When you allow idiots on the MB, you are forced to take the bad with the good, as threads get hijacked.

DJC

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:05 pm

FWIW I don't think he looks stoned in every photo, he just looks physically exhausted, I suppose doing over 1000 concerts in the past 7-8 years wouldn't've helped much....

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:42 pm

Okay, we know Elvis had medication problems but let's consider the quotes from Ginger Alden that his drug use in '77 was exaggerated.
Also remember that Elvis clearly suffered from depression and other ailments that required medication. Not that I'm defending his over-use and eventual addiction to pills, but as someone who has been through depression and relied on medication to help get through tough times I certainly have sympathy for his position.
The image some here are trying to paint of a totally-stoned Elvis 24-7 for the last year of his life is clearly an exaggeration. He could still drive a car on the day of his death.
Good luck to him for having some fun in the sun in Hawaii. He should have done more of it.
Yes he probably had some medication in his system but let's not make that the focus of every thread.
rick

Just to get back ON-TOPIC a bit ........

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:19 pm

rickeap wrote: Okay, we know Elvis had medication problems but let's consider the quotes from Ginger Alden that his drug use in '77 was exaggerated.

Ginger was also part of the "problem" during that March '77 trip.

One of the reasons for that trip was to impress Ginger & The Aldens. It can also be added to the huge chunk of change that EP dropped on her (for various reasons). (EP would also later complain about all the money he spent on Ginger, ....... yet she still wouldn't do what he wanted her to). (Granted, EP was going about it the wrong way, but ........ it is what it is).

rickeap wrote: Also remember that Elvis clearly suffered from depression and other ailments that required medication. Not that I'm defending his over-use and eventual addiction to pills, but as someone who has been through depression and relied on medication to help get through tough times I certainly have sympathy for his position.

EP was indeed under official treatment for genuine chronic clinical depression (had been for years by 1977). Some of his antidepressants were commonly implicated in some of his "crashes" prior to '77 as well.

------------------------------------------------------------

Ginger Alden also disappointed E during that last Hawaiian vacation by going off & doing her own thing without him. So, some of what you might be seeing in some of the pics. is also E's melancholic attitude about a number of things going on in his life at the time (including that very trip, etc.).

Ginger was a big source of grief for EP, in between their "fun moments" that EP paid thru the nose for. :wink:

N8
... just a fan ....

PS - Oh, on that note: To some of the Geller defenders around -------> EP was also disappointed in Geller right before he died in August of '77.

Perhaps another story, for another day.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:06 pm

To end all these silly posts, according to some people around in Hawai (Larry & Joe) Elvis was pretty much clean during this vacation, but picked up his wrong medication habits back in Memphis, before going on tour in March..

Cheers, RJ

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:38 pm

Robert wrote:To end all these silly posts, according to some people around in Hawai (Larry & Joe) Elvis was pretty much clean during this vacation, but picked up his wrong medication habits back in Memphis, before going on tour in March..

Cheers, RJ

Not completely true.

EP, by 1977, was pretty much constantly on medication secondary to a genuine physical addiction (maintenance dosing, if you will) AND bonafide health needs.. (ie: he could not have stopped completely without hospitalization).

That said, taking regular required medications does not equal = "high / stoned" by a long-shot.

His intake, however, did increase substantially while on-tour or (as already mentioned above) during significant life stressor moments.

N8
... just a fan ....

PS - Larry & Joe were really not around that much by 1977, unless it was tour-time. This is also something that irked Elvis.