All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:16 am

Who's the hottie in the yellow top in the pictures with Elvis?
spike

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:20 am

Shirley Dieu, Joes bit of fluff.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:11 am

Steve_M wrote:Shirley Dieu, Joes bit of fluff.


very nice, seems a bit young for Joe, but hey, Elvis probably thought she was too old.
spike

Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:30 am

Jim Dandy wrote:That’s where (this holiday) Elwood (the pilot) Jim Manny, the engineer and Ron Strauss (not sure if that was his name) (the co pilot) got a navigator to get them to Hawaii. The navigator noticed that the Omega navigation system that they had installed was taking them way off course so he dead reckoned the course. If he hadn’t been there they would have had a fate similar to Amelia Erhardt


An excellent example as to how smart EP was to own his own form of air transportation in the 70's and employ professional people that he could trust. Very wise choice, IMO.

-----------------------------

On another note, ............ we are all lucky that all that the early road traveling in the 50's didn't mow EP down before his career ever even got started.

----------------------------

Liverbobs -

EP did indeed go out and about during "normal" hours during his March '77 Hawaiian Vacation ........ and do all the "touristy" things - just like a normal "Joe."

He wound up buying gifts for complete strangers in various stores, eating in public dining establishments, & sitting in the audience @ The Polynesian Cultural Center amongst the "public." (He was usually flanked by The Alden Sisters on both arms & had some of the MMM's surrounding him as a buffer zone).

One reason no pics. have surfaced is because EP's privacy was generally respected in Hawaii and he was pretty much left alone to be a normal person.


N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:19 am

N880EP wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:That’s where (this holiday) Elwood (the pilot) Jim Manny, the engineer and Ron Strauss (not sure if that was his name) (the co pilot) got a navigator to get them to Hawaii. The navigator noticed that the Omega navigation system that they had installed was taking them way off course so he dead reckoned the course. If he hadn’t been there they would have had a fate similar to Amelia Erhardt


An excellent example as to how smart EP was to own his own form of air transportation in the 70's and employ professional people that he could trust. Very wise choice, IMO
....


Dead right! Think of the countless Pan Am, TWA, United Artists and in particular Qantas aircraft that went missing during 1977 because they couldn't find such a small target as North America when flying East from Hawaii :D

Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:31 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Dead right! Think of the countless Pan Am, TWA, United Artists and in particular Qantas aircraft that went missing during 1977 because they couldn't find such a small target as North America when flying East from Hawaii :D


My comments were directed mainly towards EP's 70's touring travels.

By '77, however, it would have been hard for EP to hop on a commercial airliner (with all of his entourage) for transpacific vacation travel ...... AND .......... retain his privacy (he could also tote other things along that he otherwise wouldn't have been able to).

Appreciate the humor, though.


N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:37 am

N8 wrote: One reason no pics. have surfaced is because EP's privacy was generally respected in Hawaii and he was pretty much left alone to be a normal person.

****************************
I understand that reasoning with the locals, but what about the many tourists that were there. I can see people's attention being divirted from the typical hawaiian tourist show if they saw Elvis in the audience.
And it wouldn't surprise me if many turned and clicked a few photo's.

Can you imagine Elvis in Hawaii or anyplace now, with the aggressive journalists and poparazzi with there little digital telescopic camera's that can take a picture from a mile away?

Hard copy, inside edition, entertainment tonight, access hollywood.
Elvis was so lucky to live in the world he lived in, given his love for his privacy. With the technology as it is, it is very hard to go un-noticed in today's world. The good ol' days are gone.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:41 am

thefunkyangel wrote:I'm suprised no one bothered to upload Elvis having a dry - root! )
Image
I bet he's saying "... is it in there yet!?"
Image
With Al Strada over to the left!
Image
Image
Joe (red shorts) in the background saying ".. come on 'e', get up!"
Image
Image
With Ginger, Jo and Billy Smith
Image
Image


Take a look at the photo that includes Al Strada and Dr. Nick. With the exception of Elvis, everyone is dressed for a day at the beach. Elvis is running around in jeans, tied with a bathrobe belt. He is sweating profusely, which contributes to the ill appearance.

The other people look relaxed and alive. The Boss looks, well...

Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:30 am

ekenee wrote: I understand that reasoning with the locals, but what about the many tourists that were there. I can see people's attention being divirted from the typical hawaiian tourist show if they saw Elvis in the audience.
And it wouldn't surprise me if many turned and clicked a few photo's.


A few, did. It will also come as a surprise to MYTH believers, ............. but EP looks healthy & happy in them, too.

ekenee wrote: Hard copy, inside edition, entertainment tonight, access hollywood.
Elvis was so lucky to live in the world he lived in, given his love for his privacy. With the technology as it is, it is very hard to go un-noticed in today's world. The good ol' days are gone.


Much agreed.


---------------------------------


N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:06 am

N880EP wrote:Re: Geller's "accounts":

Don't forget to read about EP's "Bone Cancer" when you are taking Geller's word as The Gospel (pun intended).

N8, I know you're not the biggest fan of LG, but I don't recall any "bone cancer" comments in If I Can Dream.

genesim wrote:Still one thing that I see from the pictures. He looks high as a kite in each and every one.

Cryogenic wrote:High on life!

Is it too hard to imagine that, although he might have had some drugs in his system in these photos, he's just plain happy and goofing around?

I guess not.

Most have a different view of these photos. Consider the source of that ignorant observation, and rest easy.

DJC

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:40 am

Great thread.........the Hawaii vacation has always held a fascination for me.

Why is it that we can never have a thread without the mention "Elvis looked stoned" anymore??

He looks tired in some shots...........he looks like he's having a ball in some shots. By all accounts a great time was had by all.......and the photos bear that out.

I think my fascination with this little slice of his life is the potential it held. He had gotten away from it all..........he lived more like a normal human in Hawaii than anywhere else........as someone said earlier, if only he would have stayed a year.

He should have made Hawaii his permanent residence. He would have lived longer.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:N8, I know you're not the biggest fan of LG, but I don't recall any "bone cancer" comments in If I Can Dream.


Yes, you are correct. The "Bone Cancer" discussions, however, are found in his "Search For God" book with Stearn.

Geller has since recanted & now tries to distance himself from this topic, as well. (Not something "new", when Geller is caught out).

Ironically, Geller's "If I Can Dream", subtitled "Elvis' Own Story" ............ should be "Geller's Own Story" ....... on a number of levels.

---------------------------------------

Lamar Fike & Sonny West's descriptions of Geller pretty much sum him up perfectly:

- "Larry Geller: Shallow but he thought he was deep."

- "A**hole. He's told so much crap over the years, it's amazing. He was around for a little while in the sixties, he left in '66 or so. Then he came back in the last few months. But the way he tells it, he was there for years. And that spiritual advisor label is crap. Elvis was always searching for spirituality, but he found most of it himself from a lot of different people and places."

(Respectively).

-------------------------------------

Geller has bamboozled many, including EP (unfortunately).


N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:00 pm

In Larry's defence, Lamar and Red were two of those who belittled Elvis' search for answers the most, as they were only in it for the girls / parties etc, and they couldn't get their heads around it.

Larry did indeed leave in late 66, but only after some fairly heavy duty intimidation and bullying from the MMs and the Colonel.

As for coming back only for the last few months, how the hell would Red know - he was fired! As it happens, it says something for Larry that he WAS there in the last few months. Along with Billy and Charlie, they at least cared about Elvis as a person.

I'm not saying everything Larry says is great, and I'm not saying he's perfect, but I did genuinely enjoy If I Can Dream.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:03 pm

DarrylMac wrote: In Larry's defence, Lamar and Red were two of those who belittled Elvis' search for answers the most, as they were only in it for the girls / parties etc, and they couldn't get their heads around it.


I get no sense that Red West is "belittling" EP's search for answers from their last telephone conversation in '76; in fact, Red is rather respectful, indulging, &diplomatically HONEST when discussing related topics during that conversation.

DarrylMac wrote: Larry did indeed leave in late 66, but only after some fairly heavy duty intimidation and bullying from the MMs and the Colonel.


The Col. saw Larry for what he was, .............. a charlatan / con-man. (Takes one to know one, kind-of-thing).

DarrylMac wrote: As for coming back only for the last few months, how the hell would Red know - he was fired! As it happens, it says something for Larry that he WAS there in the last few months. Along with Billy and Charlie, they at least cared about Elvis as a person.


Let's look at it another way, too:

How many years in TOTAL was Red there (can go back all the way to Humes High) ... ?

.......... & Larry ......... ??

DarrylMac wrote: I'm not saying everything Larry says is great, and I'm not saying he's perfect, but I did genuinely enjoy If I Can Dream.


Generally speaking:

Some people do enjoy MYTH & FairyTales more than NON-FICTION.

-------------------------------------------------------


N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:13 pm

Red simply saw through LG's esoteric BS, and made that clear in his own, inimitably pithy way. :lol:

Geller is a fruit loop whose incoherent ramblings provided Elvis the justification he sought to live as he wished.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:14 pm

Scatter wrote:Red simply saw through LG's esoteric BS, and made that clear in his own, inimitably pithy way. :lol:

Geller is a fruit loop whose incoherent ramblings provided Elvis the justification he sought to live as he wished rather than as he should.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:33 pm

I can't believe you can refer to Red as being honest in a converstation that was being recorded without Elvis knowledge.

I'm aware that Red had many qualities, was there for Elvis, and was probably fired to to the fact he represented Elvis' concience relating to the drugs, but it doesn't change the fact that Elvis was on his own in this area of his life.

As for the Colonel, please don't tell me he saw through Larry and was acting on Elvis' best interests. That really would be a leap of faith! Colonel just wanted to make sure Elvis took care of business as insubordinantely as possible.

All I'm trying to say is there was a side to Elvis that the other MM's neither respected or had any time for AT THE TIME. After the event, with hinsight, they all talk about Elvis wonderful spirituality, but back then, they were derisory behind Elvis' back.

I do appreciate all of the serious non fiction works about Elvis, but I think there is truth in Larry's book too. Yes, some of the new age things he mentions are a little wacky, but then this was the 60's in california for gods sake. I've read a few of the book they read together, including the Prophet which I love, and Autobiography of a Yogi, which is fascinating, to get some insight as to what made Elvis tick.

People like Lamar just wanted Elvis to be forever having balloon fights, and being forever "one of the lads", but non of them had the pressure of being "Elvis", and the need for answers that he had.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:55 pm

Gentlemen,

I just wanted to be clear ................. that Sonny West made the actual remarks that I quoted above (not Red).

(Red probably felt the same, though, & would have found an equally candid way to phrase it).

---------------------------------------------

Red West recorded the conversation as a precaution to document any threats that EP might make to get them to stop writing / publishing "THE" book. (EP was capable of it & did indeed do such things - especially in '76).

----------------------------------------------

People can demonize The Col. all they want, but ........... I, for one, agree with The Col. on booting Geller. The Col., DID get things right sometimes, you know. :wink:

-----------------------------------------------

Scatter -

Geller's own self-proclaimed / self-promoting "Title" was:

"Personal Hairdresser & Spiritual Advisor to Elvis Presley."

The title itself is bull-sh**.

What else does that tell you about the rest of it?

I personally find the fandom putting Geller on a pedestal ........... a hilarious concept. The Col. was right (again), ........ I think Geller did indeed miss his true calling. :lol:



N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:59 pm

N8 - I don't put Larry, or any of the MM's on any kind of a pedstal. I just think they all have their own story to tell, and if you can weed out the exaggerations and lies, they all form part of the jigsaw.

You and I usually agree on most things - we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :wink:

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:02 pm

DarrylMac wrote:N8 - I don't put Larry, or any of the MM's on any kind of a pedstal. I just think they all have their own story to tell, and if you can weed out the exaggerations and lies, they all form part of the jigsaw.

You and I usually agree on most things - we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :wink:


I wholeheartedly agree with you on the above.


N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:06 pm

N8 wrote: ----------------------------------------------

People can demonize The Col. all they want, but ........... I, for one, agree with The Col. on booting Geller. The Col., DID get things right sometimes, you know.
*********************************************

I disagree on a basic level. For starters I wouldn't capitalize colonel, since he wasn't a real colonel.

This is where I believe the colonel crossed that line of manager and was interfering too much in Elvis's life. Elvis's "friends" should have been the ones to advise Elvis on who was a bad seed or wasn't. But in the end the final decision was Elvis'.

This is a very complicated issue that was complicated by drugs.
I still think the West's really cared about Elvis but Elvis wasn't Elvis anymore. The drugs changed him.
So who changed more. Red ...Sonny...or Elvis?

Right or wrong it was Elvis's right to have Larry around or not.
He was Elvis' employee/friend not the colonel's.
The colonel was Elvis' employee as well, though it sometimes seemed the other way around. How would the colonel have reacted had Elvis told him that he had to get rid of one of his associates?
Elvis it seemed was too much "buddy" and not enough "boss".
This happens when you employ friends. The line gets blurred.

In the long run, if Elvis had actually given the colonel the boot, then maybe Elvis would've hired a real manager/ financial advisor so instead of having a million bucks in the bank he had 20 million, there by not pressured to tour so much. The colonel keep Elvis broke so he felt he still needed him.

In the end(post 1970) if Elvis had fired the colonel I think it would have changed Elvis' destiny for the better.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:41 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
genesim wrote:I too think that "overweight" has been done to death.


Yet you clearly have a different perspective - the complete opposite one, in fact - on his pill addiction...

genesim wrote:Still one thing that I see from the pictures. He looks high as a kite in each and every one.


High on life!

Is it too hard to imagine that, although he might have had some drugs in his system in these photos, he's just plain happy and goofing around?

I guess not.


Wait a second how do you equate the two?

He does look high in the pics and the stumbling around is obvious. It is like he is the clown of the party and the rest are looking on like he is a sick sideshow.

As for me thinking the weight thing has been done to death. YEP. He wasn't overweight as a normal person is. He was bloated from his drug intake. No doubt a product of having a screwed up digestive situation.

Still despite all this. I do think he has been fun of way more then he should have been. There are far more "normal" people that are much more overweight.

I do believe there were a bunch of syncophants present that of course wouldn't say anything. The same is true of this board from time to time.

Now seriously. Read what I wrote, and try again.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:47 pm

Lets take a look at some of my "ignorant observations"

Image

Image

I repeat. High as a kite.

Some people see him having a ball, I see the very reason why he died.

A lonely man, with a women half his age and him reduced to absolutely nothing in his final hour.

The "fun" was like seeing a train wreck. Not one person there to help him because they were too busy kissing ass.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:49 am

Thats a bit harsh. These are like speed camera photos - simply a snapshot - they don't literally show the car going over the speed limit (we just trust that technology is right).

You've never fallen over at a footy game?

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:01 am

No, especially with every jackass standing around watching as if it was a big deal.

Ok lets take a look at facts. Elvis was dead from a drug overdose months later. He was probably high in the pictures. Elvis was always surrounded by a bunch of kiss ass idiots.

Are my assumptions so wrong?