All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:33 am

JeffR, Maybe you should try it.(watching a film or two)
I hadn't seen his films for many years but with them coming out on DVD I have revisited them and was reminded how enjoyable they are.

:D

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
paulwood wrote:Lots of people say that most of Elvis films in the 60's were crap-but I like them.
Ever wonder why "lots of people" feel that way?
paulwood wrote:Personally I don't care for some of the Sun Recordings but if some people think they are the best thing ELvis ever did- no problem!
Isn't it down to personal taste?
Actually -- in this example -- no.
It trivializes Elvis Presley's seminal Sun recordings -- music that <i>changed the world</i> -- to compare them to his awful 1960s films.
It is beyond comprehension that anyone might try.
God bless!

Oh, Dr. John, can you not see that Paul was saying that we each have our preferences as to what we like and do not like? He did not directly compare movies to the Sun Recordings as a whole, just the fact that he likes the movies and not ALL of the Sun sides. Analogies involve relationships and you seem unable to understand this and instead focus on the specific components. This just goes to show you need to go back to school...

As for me, give me Stay Away, Joe over Harbor Lights any day.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:23 pm

Thanks saves me the effort of repeating myself. I know where the Docs coming from -heard it many times not everyone likes the Elvis movies.

I think everyone acknowleges the historical importance of the Sun Sessions but its not what all of us listen to or like the most. Thats Alright, Mystery Train, Good Rockin Tonight, Baby Lets Play House get regular spins but some of the other Sun recordings I skip - just like others might skip watching films like 'Clambake' . Just being true to what I like and keeping it real.

Which created the most impact 'Can't Help Falling in Love' ( based on 'Plasir d' Amour') or the sun side ' I Love You Because'? Can't anything Elvis did in the movie years be compared favourably to anything Elvis did at Sun? To call all Elvis films from a certain period crap is to undermine some of Elvis other achievements.

There's discerning and there's discriminating.

To Each His Own

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:18 pm

I have always loved the Elvis Movies. The Soundtracks are superb too. My favourites are:

1. Kid Galahad
2. Flamng Star
3. GI Blues
4. Fun In Acapulco
5. Blue Hawaii
6. Follow That Dream
7. Girls!Girls!Girls!
8. Viva Las Vegas
9. Loving You
10. Girl Happy

Elvis Presley - still the King Of The Whole Wide World

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:34 pm

The Elvis films that I think hold up the best (for various reasons) are as follows: Love Me Tender; Loving You; Jailhouse Rock; King Creole; Flaming Star; Wild In The Country; Follow That Dream; Kid Galahad; It Happened At The Worlds Fair; Viva Las Vegas; Roustabout; Change Of Habit. I also caught Frankie & Johnny for the first time during the 25th anniversary of Elvis' death, and I liked it. I certainly didn't find it anywhere near as tough to view and listen to as the likes of Kissin' Cousins, Harum Scarem, Paradise Hawaiin Style, and Easy Come, Easy Go! I've never seen The Trouble With Girls all the way through, I've only caught bits & pieces. What I have seen of this film gave me the impression that it was a bit "different."

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:10 pm

Even though there was a shift away from the beach type films Elvis had been making up to 67, when it came to shooting The Trouble With Girls, Elvis made no effort to try and get into the part of a 1920`s guy. He was still happy to play "Elvis", complete with 50`s quiff and great big ol sideburns ! He knew which side his bread was buttered.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:01 am

The Trouble with girls is annoying. far too little ELvis!! he is in plenty of scenes, but he is off camera. I watched it last night, with the fast forward button getting a thrashing. I would love to edit that movie tell ya! He looks so hot he's cool! and that dance with Marilyn... whew! I'd swap with her for that scene anyday.
Stay Away Joe is one I showed non Elvis fans the other night, it's quite "culty" imagine going to a movie theater to see these movies again, it would be lots of fun!
I still find it difficult to watch the "formula " movies, but there are gems in there!! go back to your videos and have another look :D

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:19 am

BobbyTCB wrote:There isn't much that's indisputable around here.

I think you've proven at least one thing is indisputable.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:59 am

I did an Elvis film course a few years ago. It rated The Trouble With Girls highly as it was credible (compared to the fluffy Elvis musicals) with good sets, clothes etc. I have'nt looked at it the same way since. Its slow moving but I can now appreciate the interesting way it was directed and produced. It also had an eccentric supporting cast, Vincent Price, John Carradine, Dabney Coleman.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
BobbyTCB wrote:There isn't much that's indisputable around here.

I think you've proven at least one thing is indisputable.

Well, I thought so, but I'm surprised to see you admit it. DJC, don't denigrate yourself like that. I'm sure you've posted something of value in a few of your 369 efforts.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:40 am

I'm with you Bobby. :D

:lol:

Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:20 am

BobbyTCB wrote:Well, I thought so ...

sam wrote:I'm with you Bobby. :D :lol:

Be proud. Within, perhaps, a week's time you two will accomplish the impossible -- over one <b>thousand</b> posts of complete insignificance.

God bless you!

Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:25 am

who's counting John boy???/

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:57 am

Is this movie available on DVD anywhere??

Thanks.

:D

get over yourself

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:42 pm

Doc, Doc, Doc...

And we are to believe posts such as this last gem of yours are great contributions to this board? It occurs to me that it is a grand waste of time to acknowledge such things, but I am going to speak my peace. You will then be left alone to freely make disparaging remarks about various aspects of Elvis's career and his fans around here, which obviously is what keeps you going.

If your head gets too big, it'll break your neck.

Words to the wise, Mr. Personality...

Don't count on any medals, son. They're pinning none on you.

I understand what makes you tick, and the fact that you can't change. And I know it's not polite to say things about people with your problems, so I'll just leave you alone. This board should be a friendly place, but you have a great knack for turning things ugly. I won't play your game anymore.

My apologies, Sam, for diverting attention from your question. I'd be interested to know that myself.

And to you, Carolyn, for going so far off-topic. Someone had distracted me. I won't let that happen again.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:48 pm

Well said Bobby.
No appology needed. :D

8)

Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:45 pm

Don't get enough of these kind of posts, love these photo's

Girlhappy

Or should I say Girlveryhappy

Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:28 pm

It's not on DVD yet... maybe VCD. I taped it off of TCM in Letterbox, so I've got one to tide me over until they release the real thing.

TCM really shows some great stuff, and it's usually complete, too (aka nothing taken out).

Re: get over yourself

Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:57 pm

BobbyTCB wrote:And we are to believe posts such as this last gem of yours are great contributions to this board?

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby -- the truth hurts, doesn't it?

Especially for those who are so blind they cannot see.

Perhaps some day, some of the wisdom which I strive to impart on fans like you will sink in. Where there's life, there's hope!

God bless you!

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:26 am

Doc, in your sig what are you holding to your eye. Nothing to try and help you see a bit better?? LOL

:twisted:

Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:25 pm

After reading this thread, i thought it was about time i watched this film again, as i have`nt watched it in over 20 years. And boy, no wonder they put so many songs in most of Elvis`other films ! This one drags like no other Elvis film, and what made the studio let director Peter Tewksbury loose on this one after the mess he made of Stay Away Joe i`ll never know !