Question for the original fans

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

Pete Dube wrote:Colin -
Yeah, but that still doesn't explain why IHATWF gets singled out for a trashing while G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii usually don't. Why is World's Fair seen as a lesser film than those 2? In my view, it's a bit better.
Well, the other two films were earlier, by the time of 'Fair' the public had tired of these 'goody-goody' Elvis roles.

The novelty had worn off.

Yes, technically it was superior to those films, with some half-decent songs and even a pretence at a story, but the public had simply 'moved on'.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

The novelty had worn off? The public had moved on? I guess you're speaking for your part of the world. Where I was living the movie theater was always full for each Elvis picture until AFTER that turkey,
Hurum Scarum.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I'm just catching up with this thread now. It's a kick to hear those who "were there" as I came along just at the end, but grew up in a family of fans going back to the '50s.

I really agree very much with LTB on these points. It's been very liberating to throw off the yoke of the 'Rolling Stone" school of thought on what rocks. In fact, baby boomers come off rather juvenile by some of this residual inablity to appreciate the beauty to be found in an Elvis ballad like "Somebody To Lean On" or "It Hurts Me" or "Love Letters."

likethebike wrote:
On the other hand a fan coming in ten or twenty or thirty years later doesn't have that shared baggage or the stake in the initial rock revolution. Actually, many fans born after say 1965 may have been rocked to death. When they hear "There's Always me" they hear a brilliant pop song, there is no sense of betrayal or retrograde unless you're a died in the wool rocker. For a person like myself, who was introduced to "Can't Help Falling in Love", "Jailhouse Rock", "It's Now or Never" and "Don't Be Cruel" all at the same time, there was no need to learn or appreciate a new or different aesthetic. It was the Elvis aesthetic already in whole. They were all cool Elvis songs. Being a little boy, I liked the uptempo songs better but to me they were all good.
Rockin- The main issue I take with hardline original fans like Lennon and Carr and Farren is the natural assumption that pop is bad or somehow inferior. Tracks like "Are You Lonesome To-Night?" and "It's Now Or Never" may have been pop tracks but they were great pop tracks. That Elvis is singing in a different style does not translate into a lack of commitment on his part. Even some vintage fans like Paul Williams, who was a little young but sentient in 1956, who recognize the intention still dismiss the work because it is not work that they enjoy. "Most of his hits were ballads" wrote Williams dismissively.
I notice a growing sense among younger generations oldies acts like Frank Sinatra and Johnny Cash have enduring value that bodes well for the hope that Elvis will yet be fully rehabiliated. The old "rock" generation would cringe at a song (let alone his appearance) in songs done for "Aloha" like "It's Over" and "You Gave Me A Mountain" but having lived a little, and maybe hit some rough patches, it would be interesting to know how often they reach for punk rock or new wave as they raise their kids - or go through divorce or (gulp) get fired. :wink: What person over 35 can watch "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" in TTWII and still bark: "this is too Vegas" or watch him do "Lead Me, Guide Me" from EOT and not be moved? No one I want to really know. :lol:

The "King of Rock'n'Roll" mantle also tends to obscure just how wide-ranging he truly was and if anything, the title switches the conversation to rock too easily when we should be talking about a great singer who brought us some great music.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

JerryNodak wrote:The novelty had worn off?
The public had moved on? I guess you're speaking for your part of the world.
Where I was living the movie theater was always full for each Elvis picture until AFTER that turkey, Hurum Scarum.
You can't believe that World's Fair was as popular as Blue Hawaii & G I Blues ?

Those two films were exceptionally popular.

But they kept trying to milk that same cash cow..............

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

I don't think the novelty had worn off yet since it was a gradual thing. Plus the very successfull "viva las vegas" was a mere year away. "roustabout" was very popular too. but yes I agree around "harum", the end was near. you would have thought the bottom was near, and yet it got even worse.

CD King

Post by CD King »

In Asia, It Happened At the World's Fair was a giant of a hit. The next 2 movies Fun In Acapulco and Viva las Vegas were also Box-office Smash.
Even Roustabout, Girl Happy and Tickle Me were doing great until that infamous Harum Scarum came along. That was the beginning of the end.

ELVIS Presley was and still is The KING of Hollywood.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I'm not saying that World's Fair was as popular as GI Blues or Blue Hawaii.
I'm just saying that it WAS popular in my part of the world, as were all the movies that followed until after Harum Scarum.

Yes, they did milk the same cash cow for too long. They should have quit after Tickle Me.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Question for the original fans

Post by jurasic1968 »

World's Fair was a big failure. For the first time in Elvis's movie career, none of the songs were memorable. And comparing One Broken Heart for Sale to Return to Sender it's a blasfhemy. Of course GGG was a bad film but had included some good songs in it. IHAWF had nothing. if Elvis performed at Seattle in concert (like Jerry Hopkins wrote that it's been discussed) could be a 10 times more interesting experience than this bland movie.