Southern nights opinion

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

Ciscoking wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote: Just the highlights of a certain Tour...good concept to me !
Please spin that wheel further on...what should be the next release of this kind..??
Just curious...
\

Every Tour that Elvis did, when a soundboard is around of course....december 76 tour, july 1975 tour, etc.

FVH
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by FVH »

Here's another opinion.

I think it's hilarious when Elvis during That's Allright seems to say "Son, that gal you're fooling with, she ain't no good to screw..." half off-mike, and then giggling about it.

OT:
Reminds me of something I've been wondering about. Listen to I Got A Woman from E In Concert. In the beginning when he and James "well-well" together. To me, E says: "...that ain't what I did... f**k, I don't know what I did..." :lol:

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

Ton Bruins wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Please spin that wheel further on...what should be the next release of this kind..??
Just curious...
\

Every Tour that Elvis did, when a soundboard is around of course....december 76 tour, july 1975 tour, etc.
In the end..you`d always have the same songs..he didn`t vary that much..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

Ciscoking wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Just curious...
\

In the end..you`d always have the same songs..he didn`t vary that much..
Yes, I agree, he didn't vary that much. It's just that I like the Live compilation CD's better, then a whole live show, with once again See See Rider, I Got A Woman, Love Me, etc. You know what I mean. Than rather the highlights of a certain tour on one compilation CD.
But you're right we will end up with the same songs with here and there a rarity. We can only "blame" Elvis for that...

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by ritchie valens »

i'd still rather have more complete shows over best ofs.
the southern nights cd is great. but still i want complete shows.
the just pretend show was not on the silver box set.
it wasn't from soundboard till it came out on bootleg.
i wish the next live cd would be another april 1972 complete show or aug 1970 complete show.
i'm still waiting to hear johnson city march 17,1976 complete.
yes ernst it's a good show.

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Axeman »

FVH wrote: Reminds me of something I've been wondering about. Listen to I Got A Woman from E In Concert. In the beginning when he and James "well-well" together. To me, E says: "...that ain't what I did... f**k, I don't know what I did..." :lol:
I believe he said "In fact I don't know what I did"...

Axe

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

What an awesome album representing great performaces.
Sound is excellent and makes you realise how the sound has been stripped out of previous releases like Sold Out In Dixie – when you hear Bridge from this same show on this release the sound is full, Elvis has a deep rich voice – not raggedy anne like on the previous release. Always made me wonder why he sounded sh*t on some releases and not others, like the Oct 1976 soundboards versus the October 1976 sessions – it all comes down to the boots being degraded.

One highlight for me is Heartbreak Hotel – Elvis gives a prolonged “welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll” before singing and seems to quote the lyrics from Muleskinner Blues “weelllllll, bring the water-boy” then sniggers – this is in relation to Charlie and his comment about getting permission to drop Burning Love for Heartbreak Hotel.
Just a thought. Maybe the water-boy reference is solely to Charlie being the general flunky.
Oh man, and Steamroller Blues and I'm Leavin' - they're great.
Nice even sound throughout.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

dl
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dl »

I got the cd yesterday and I like it very much. It's not the worst idea to come up with a best of compilation, because the shows followed the same formular with only one or two songs standing out of the normal set list. With a cd like Southern Nights you get all the "odd" songs at once. No dull performed best ofs a' la "Hound Dog", only the songs Elvis really liked to do and therefore they are performed much better than "All Shook Up" or something like that. When I got the cd I realized, that Elvis had a pretty vast number of songs that he sang during that time. It's a good idea to release maybe one or two complete shows from every tour and to put all the other interesting stuff on a separate best of cd. The Spring Tours is definitely a cd I will listen to quite often.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I also prefer complete shows and I feel that, if possible, every tour and Vegas / Tahoe engagement should be represented with at least one complete show. But "Southern Nights" is a refreshing change and it's a CD I will listen to more often than the regular soundboards.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Scott Hayward

Post by Scott Hayward »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I also prefer complete shows and I feel that, if possible, every tour and Vegas / Tahoe engagement should be represented with at least one complete show. But "Southern Nights" is a refreshing change and it's a CD I will listen to more often than the regular soundboards.

Keith Richards, Jr.
My thoughts exactly: these two 1975 tours had already been documented on Dixieland Rocks and EAp-box (even though that was a bit of a cut-and-paste job) so it was a nice idea to put out a release like Southern Nights.

I wonder if they'll be able to document each tour/engagement: there are some elusive ones that aren't that well presented even on audience recordings (such as tahoe 71, April 76 tour, Tahoe fall 74, ...) And then there's always the July 75 tour...and personally I would love to hear either Wichita ot Atlanta (or both!) from December 76 in soundboard...oh well.

elvisalex
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by elvisalex »

I don’t like the sound on this CD Some of the Songs is in stereo ,but the most of the song is record just on one channel from the mixing desk they skip the channel that we have the drums ets..
I know that this is recordings that don’t is made for a released from the beginnings ,but I don’t understand way they skip a channel on this tour

see-see-rider

Post by see-see-rider »

elvisalex wrote:I don’t like the sound on this CD Some of the Songs is in stereo
:shock: I didn't know there're stereo tracks on this one. Which tracks are you speaking of and how's the mix?

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:o stereo-bullshit! i know their is a 'brief' funny sound change during 'Bridge over' but that's all i noticed. Basically its a best of rare live tracks performed at this time..i'm happy with the huntsville stuff - alone, but all tracks seem to sound better than the boots on this release and how good is 'fairytale' love this version and the huntsville version of 'little 'darlin' highlights for sure! so many positive things about this release!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

No stereo on this one, but Elvisalex is right about channels missing on the April recordings... Somehow Ronnie Tutt and Jerry were not connected to the tape recorder.

The June recordings sound, allthough limited, fine to me.. but again with little efforts could have been better..

Don't get me wrong, I like this FTD!

Rob

Post by Rob »

Robert wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like this FTD!
I'm glad you threw that in there. I have heard more praise on this one than complaining. It's a nice change.

I like it too.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Renan »

ritchie valens wrote:i'm still waiting to hear johnson city march 17,1976 complete.
You just hit the spot. Recently I heard the audience recording and this is a hell of a show!!
Polk Salad Annie definately brings the house down and Elvis is in great mood, great voice!

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Topic author
Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

Didn't Ernst visit this show?
(And wasn't impressed...)

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Robert wrote:Didn't Ernst visit this show?
(And wasn't impressed...)
Correct! :shock:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Johnson City was a very good show for 1976... Elvis was almost performing at July 75 level, you could tell he was happy to back on the road again.

Rob

Post by Rob »

On this CD Elvis performs That's All Right. It's pretty obvious by listening to it that he is singing it as a last minute request and is not playing guitar. I would be willing to bet (but I have no way of actually knowing) that this is the only time in his career that he performed this song on stage without at least holding a guitar. I may be wrong and would like to be proven wrong.

Anyone?

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Renan »

Rob wrote:On this CD Elvis performs That's All Right. It's pretty obvious by listening to it that he is singing it as a last minute request and is not playing guitar. I would be willing to bet (but I have no way of actually knowing) that this is the only time in his career that he performed this song on stage without at least holding a guitar. I may be wrong and would like to be proven wrong.

Anyone?
I really don´t know. But you may be right.

But who knows in July 31st, 1969? People claim that Elvis sang this song on that date.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Robert wrote:Didn't Ernst (Jorgensen) visit this show?
(And wasn't impressed...)[/quote]

Correct! :shock:

Keith Richards, Jr.

How much do you want to bet that Ernst of 2006 probably has more of an appreciation for the Elvis Presley Show of 1975 than he did at the time? Methinks he probably was more into the '50s "Rockin' Rebel" at the time and take such comments accordingly.

We all grow. :lol:

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I also prefer complete shows and I feel that, if possible, every tour and Vegas / Tahoe engagement should be represented with at least one complete show. But "Southern Nights" is a refreshing change and it's a CD I will listen to more often than the regular soundboards.

Keith Richards, Jr.
[/quote]

I look forward to this release exactly because it isn't complete. :shock:

Compiling Elvis in smart and "new" ways is a horizon still to be fully explored and exhausted. . As a fan with a growing import and nearly full FTD shelf, I personally like things that shake it up, as I keep thinking I'm nearing the live show "cut off" point. :wink:

On "better" years, like 1969 or '70, however, give me the complete show, please!

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Ray

Post by Ray »

Got the cd at last today (Friday)...been hangin' out for it :shock: ....must say very impressed with the sound of this cd, was expecting poor sound for some reason...sound exceeds my expectations...Thank you Ernst.

Hey, Carolynlm I'm assuming you got yours also today, bet you're glad he decided to drop Burning Love for Polk Salad :lol:

A great mate of mine made an interesting observation, Elvis sounds like he did in Rapid City on quite a few tracks. That's All Right is sang in similar tempo...but listen to those vocals/pronounciation...very reminicent of Rapid City.

Ray

" Do you know anything about him ?
Do I know anything about him ?
I was raised in his home town

Are you going to be saying something to him, are you going to talk to him ?
Well that just all do depends
Are you looking forward to seeing him ?
Sure
Why don't you show us where he comes in here
He's coming through this door here, there's two doors in this entrance
he comes through this door here in this entrance and then open it back like this
then this one the other door comes back like this.
"

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

ImageLove that outgoing message , Ray
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

ClintReno

Post by ClintReno »

Rob, you enquired.........
Rob wrote:On this CD Elvis performs That's All Right. It's pretty obvious by listening to it that he is singing it as a last minute request and is not playing guitar. I would be willing to bet (but I have no way of actually knowing) that this is the only time in his career that he performed this song on stage without at least holding a guitar. I may be wrong and would like to be proven wrong.

Anyone?
Interestingly enough, footage from Fort Wayne (12th June 1972) evidences a fairly unusual 'That's All Right'.

The guitar only remains over Elvis' shoulder for a few moments before he hands it back to Charlie and makes his way over to the mic stand (guitarless) to begin the show.

Upon returning to Charlie for the guitar during the instrumental break, he once again hands it back and finishes the song, again, without guitar.

Instead of the usual guitar moves, the end of the song is punctuated with a 'karate punch'

So, although the guitar does make a couple of appearances in the opening number, all the lyrics are sung without it.

Pretty cool !

official member of the Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society