Why does RCA continue to make Elvis sound so easy listening?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ekenee »

Quote: This isn't 1960 anymore. This is about to be 2006.

That is not the point. Good music is timeless. It's a big mistake trying to turn something into something "psuedo current". Then it would sound dated in a few years. For example if they had tried to make Elvis sound disco back when it was popular, it would sound dated today.

Just check out the "elvis is back" ftd and you will see what I am talking about. There is no need to change anything.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

Just check out the "elvis is back" ftd and you will see what I am talking about. There is no need to change anything.
That is the exact point. Elvis' music is what it is. There is no reason to alter it or re-record backing tracks to make it sound more contemporary. You don't mess with the historical presentation and accuracy of Elvis' music.

Lakeisha, you seem to frequently take the position that Elvis' music needs to be improved to gain a younger audience. Elvis' music does not need to be improved, especially just to gain some younger fans. If people like it, they will buy it. And if history is any indication, his music is timeless in its appeal. Don't worry, Elvis' music will continue to have an audience for years to come.

Everyone has their opinion as to how Elvis' music could have been improved during the time he was alive. It makes for good conversation, but his music has been recorded and he no longer can make any changes to his musical direction. What is left is what fans will continue to have to live with and enjoy.

dl
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dl »

I guess that Elvis had sometimes a different taste in music than some of his fans have. I like the "easy listening" sound and sometimes I like even the big orchestrations. And Sony/BMG mixes the new releases like they think the mass market wants it. If they think the backup voices should be more upfront they'll mix them that way and if some sound engeneer thinks the people want the rhythm to be prominent on the mix, they'll do it that way.

Topic author
Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

dl wrote:I guess that Elvis had sometimes a different taste in music than some of his fans have. I like the "easy listening" sound and sometimes I like even the big orchestrations. And Sony/BMG mixes the new releases like they think the mass market wants it. If they think the backup voices should be more upfront they'll mix them that way and if some sound engeneer thinks the people want the rhythm to be prominent on the mix, they'll do it that way.
No, they mix it the way they wanna mix it and for the die hard's who buy most of the cd's anyway. Before E-1 I don't recall any Elvis project on a national promotion like that in my lifetime. At least not aimed at my generation of new fans or the MTV audience as E-1 was. E-1 wasn't aimed at selling to grandma's but more to the younger audience of casual and non fans which it did, thanks to ALLC. That's why the sound was much improved. Not only was it a big success it also had the BEST mixes on any previous Elvis cd as far as I'm concerned. Like I said, SM on E-1 is the BEST ever mix of that song. It sounds ALIVE and not 30 years old.

Some of you are insuing that I mean "re-mix/remake". I mean just digitally remix the songs a la Promised Land cd remix or The Memphis Record remix to what they should sound like. That dosesn't mean a rap hip hop style :roll: but more of a smoother overall clear mix to where you can actually hear the drums and base together and feel a little rythm and beat and hear the vocals on both channels with the lead vocal more up front.

I guess I am the minority here when it comes to improving Elvis' sound, image, and name for a newer generation of fans. I guess it makes sense to where 60-80 year olds wanna keep their old memeories the way they remember them and to hell with a newer generation interested or wanting to hear a clear version of the past. :roll:

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Why does

Post by Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff »

.......... Yawn.... And a KATCHAKKABOOMKATCHAKKABOOM Xmas to you.

Topic author
Lakeisha

Re: Why does

Post by Lakeisha »

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... To please you, Lakeisha, lets hope RCA, in the future will call in some members from a Rap Band to lay down some fat drums and bass overdubs on these "dated" Elvis Recordings...KATCHAKKA BOOM, KATCHAKKA BOOM...
Look who's starting racist tention now? That's an ignorant racist comment you just made. I guess you're sayin because I'm black I like rap? :roll:

By the way, Elvis LOVED black music. Thought you might like to know that.

Tits McGhee
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Tits McGhee »

Look who's starting racist tention now? That's an ignorant racist comment you just made. I guess you're sayin because I'm black I like rap? :roll:
For Christ's sake lighten up, will ya? So anyone who disagrees with your stupid ramblings is racist, are they? Get real, woman.

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvissessions »

I guess I am the minority here when it comes to improving Elvis' sound, image, and name for a newer generation of fans. I guess it makes sense to where 60-80 year olds wanna keep their old memeories the way they remember them and to hell with a newer generation interested or wanting to hear a clear version of the past.
Goodness, where would Elvis be without you? :roll:

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Lakeisha, ELV1S was aimed at a huge audience, not a young audience. It was BMG's attempt to create an album much like The Bealtes "1" that would appeal to millions around the world and that it would be the one album all music fans would want to own. That project was not based on the idea that Elvis needed a younger audience.

Engineers don't mix it the way they want to mix it. With live shows, Aloha, On Stage and Memphis 74 have been remixed. MSG has remained the same. Unreleased shows, most of which are found on FTD releases are mixed for the first time, so an idiot like Ferrante can do what he wants. But the studio work is what it is. ELV1S had certain selections that were remixed and there was an out-cry and it was justifiable, Elvis' music isn't sitting there for any engineer to mix as they please, they are historical recordings that should be portrayed accarately.

There is no reason to support rewriting Elvis' history, unless you of course work for EPE. This isn't about fans wanting to keep their memories intact by hearing songs in their original format. It is insane to think that you want to lead a campaign to have all of his music remixed and in some instances re-recorded so fans of 50 Cent and Beyonce will find Elvis more accessible. While you are at it, maybe you should ask that new backing tracks are recorded behind a legend like Robert Johnson, after all, he may gain a younger audience. :roll:

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff

Why does

...Lookahere, little lady, I dont care one bit about what color your skin is. Your the one. since your first posting here, to remind us again and again, youre Afro American! Well, goodie for you. Its your irritating lack of knowledge of things in general that this guy is fed up with. We are always wrong, youre always right. Fans who dont agree with you are, for the most, racists... Your words... not mine! Youre pretty screwed up, young lady.

Topic author
Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:...Lookahere, little lady, I dont care one bit about what color your skin is. Your the one. since your first posting here, to remind us again and again, youre Afro American! Well, goodie for you. Its your irritating lack of knowledge of things in general that this guy is fed up with. We are always wrong, youre always right. Fans who dont agree with you are, for the most, racists... Your words... not mine! Youre pretty screwed up, young lady.
Just a warning. You're being watched so I would watch what you say.

Topic author
Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

midnightx wrote:It is insane to think that you want to lead a campaign to have all of his music remixed and in some instances re-recorded so fans of 50 Cent and Beyonce will find Elvis more accessible. While you are at it, maybe you should ask that new backing tracks are recorded behind a legend like Robert Johnson, after all, he may gain a younger audience. :roll:
See admins, this is what I'm talkin about. Comments like these. :cry:

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

I guess I am the minority here when it comes to improving Elvis' sound, image, and name for a newer generation of fans. I guess it makes sense to where 60-80 year olds wanna keep their old memeories the way they remember them and to hell with a newer generation interested or wanting to hear a clear version of the past. :roll:
I was 13 when I first started to listen to Elvis in 1975 and the music was great to me as it was...now I'm almost 44 and in my opinion, the music does not have to be enhanced to win new fans, younger fans or whatever. The music is the music. Tone down the attitude and remove the chip from your shoulder and enjoy life Lakeisha 8)

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff

Why does

... BEWARE! BIG SISTER IS WATCHING YOU...! Lemme know when you plan to pack your suitcase. I will kindly lend you a helping hand.

Topic author
Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... BEWARE! BIG SISTER IS WATCHING YOU...! Lemme know when you plan to pack your suitcase. I will kindly lend you a helping hand.
Oh I'm not goin anywhere. It's you who needs to watch your back. I'm not the one watching you, it's someone much higher in charge, if you know what I mean.

But go ahead and keep up with your ignorant racist attacks.

Trevell
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Trevell »

...If I can dream of a better land, where all my brothers walk hand in hand, tell me why, oh why, oh why can't my dream come true? Oh Let it come true right now!

Flippy...Real Flippy...

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Paulsweeney wrote:
I was 13 when I first started to listen to Elvis in 1975 and the music was great to me as it was...now I'm almost 44 and in my opinion, the music does not have to be enhanced to win new fans, younger fans or whatever. The music is the music. Tone down the attitude and remove the chip from your shoulder and enjoy life Lakeisha

This is exactly my point. I was about 14 in 1974 when I started to listen to Elvis. There was no big promotions. In high school at the time, everyone was listening to Kiss and who ever else was popular at the time. I was the only one I knew who discovered this great music from the 50's and 60's by Elvis and others. But I also saw That's the way it is on tv in June of 1975 and I watched the corny movies on tv. So I took it all in(50's-60's-70's elvis), at a time when Elvis wasn't mainstream. No remixes no nothing. I was young and I still could appreciate it.

Wrong!!! Elvis loved music. Music has no color. There is no such thing as black music or white music or technicolor music.

And Lakeisha I still think E1 is the worst sounding cd that has come out lately. As far as "Suspicious minds", to me it sounds about the same. Doesn't sound different to me. At least that track. There are a handfull on that cd that sound worse than ever.

Tits McGhee

Post by Tits McGhee »

But go ahead and keep up with your ignorant racist attacks.
Who's making racist attacks? Nobody. Check back through the threads for confirmation. You're one paranoid woman.

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by MB280E »

She´s ill...! That was not meant as a racist comment, I´m just telling it like it is...

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Scatter
Registered for: 20 years

Post by Scatter »

Lakeisha wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:...Lookahere, little lady, I dont care one bit about what color your skin is. Your the one. since your first posting here, to remind us again and again, youre Afro American! Well, goodie for you. Its your irritating lack of knowledge of things in general that this guy is fed up with. We are always wrong, youre always right. Fans who dont agree with you are, for the most, racists... Your words... not mine! Youre pretty screwed up, young lady.
Just a warning. You're being watched so I would watch what you say.
Can someone.........ANYONE......please point out the racist element in Ger's post that Lakeisha sees??? Because I am unable to identify the offending phrase/word/innuendo.

Perhaps that makes me a racist as well.

Lakeisha, if you find anything racist in those remarks of Ger's you truly have a problem. I suspect an inferiority complex of staggering proportions, driving you to defend yourself reflexively against enemies and slights which reside only in your imagination. Let it go before you alienate the entire MB. That soapbox of yours is pretty flimsy.

Topic author
Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

ekenee wrote:By the way, Elvis LOVED black music. Thought you might like to know that.

Wrong!!! Elvis loved music. Music has no color. There is no such thing as black music or white music or technicolor music.
Excuse me, but what would you call the Blues, black gospel and RnB? All of those are African decent and discovered by blacks. In fact, all music originated from Africa and was influence by the beating of the drum. Listen to Ronnie Tutt's drumming on the opening of the LILV disc 2, that comes as an inspiration to African culture, whether you wanna accept it as fact or not.

As much as I love and respect Elvis, but if it weren't for BB King, Ike Turner, Muddy Waters, and all the great blues singers before him, then he would have never been the Elvis we know and love today. He'd probably been just a normaltruck driver in Memphis and the world would have never heard of John Lennon or Michael Jackson.

Oh and it was a black man who played That's All Right on the radio before anyone else would even consider it and was told by his white boss not to play it or he would be fired, but he played it anyway and told the radio audience that his name was Elvis Presley from Humes and it got rave reviews from the local black kids. That man was Rufus Thomas as a DJ at WDIA here in Memphis in 1954. The nations first black radio station. It wasn't Dewey Phillips.

And if Elvis hadn't had such a racist manager he would have recorded more black music, worked with more blacks, co-starred with blacks and probably even dated a black girl publically. Unfortunately Parker controlled his every move.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

And if Elvis hadn't had such a racist manager he would have recorded more blasck music, worked with more blacks, co-starred with blacks and probably even dated a black girl publically. Unfortunately Parker controlled his every move.
Parker kept Elvis from recording music by African-Americans??? And of course you have proof of this? Have you ever listened to his 50s output? Why don't you read into the complexities of Elvis' hands being tied because of publishing arangements between certain companies and individuals before accusing of Parker of being a rascist who blocked Elvis from recording music by African Americans.
Excuse me, but what would you call the Blues, black gospel and RnB? All of those are African decent and discovered by blacks.
And who is arguing otherwise??? But thanks for the lesson on music, your insight is fascinating. :roll:

Topic author
Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

midnightx wrote:
And if Elvis hadn't had such a racist manager he would have recorded more blasck music, worked with more blacks, co-starred with blacks and probably even dated a black girl publically. Unfortunately Parker controlled his every move.
Parker kept Elvis from recording music by African-Americans??? And of course you have proof of this? Have you ever listened to his 50s output? Why don't you read into the complexities of Elvis' hands being tied because of publishing arangements between certain companies and individuals before accusing of Parker of being a rascist who blocked Elvis from recording music by African Americans.
Excuse me, but what would you call the Blues, black gospel and RnB? All of those are African decent and discovered by blacks.
And who is arguing otherwise??? But thanks for the lesson on music, your insight is fascinating. :roll:
If it hadn't been for Parker, then Elvis would have recorded with The Supremes as he desperately wanted to. He would have starred with Sidney Pontier in The Defiant ones. Elvis would have had more blacks in his films, which he requested Barbara McNair to be in Change Of Habit and Parker didn't want her toi be in it but gave in. Parker didn't even want Elvis to work with The Sweets. That's why I called him a racist. Elvis wanted to do a blues album and Parker was against it and instead wanted a country folk album. It was Parker who killed Elvis and his career and brought on the racial hatred from blacks, not Elvis.

And the poster who I quoted said "there's no such thing as black music" so I was putting them in their place. I don't think it was directed to you but to them.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Lakeisha wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... To please you, Lakeisha, lets hope RCA, in the future will call in some members from a Rap Band to lay down some fat drums and bass overdubs on these "dated" Elvis Recordings...KATCHAKKA BOOM, KATCHAKKA BOOM...

Elvis didn't love black music - he loved music!

why be racist and pick out "black" music ?

As for rap - what color is eminem this week ? I only ask because I hadn't noticed. The color of a singer has never been relevant to me that's why I've never noticed.

Just realised in writing this and thus thinking about it for the first time, Elvis wasn't black, was he. Does that have to change anything ?

Wake up, it's not 1955 anymore, people can sit where they want on the bus.

Tits McGhee

Post by Tits McGhee »

If it hadn't been for Parker, then Elvis would have recorded with The Supremes as he desperately wanted to.
Where did you get this from?
He would have starred with Sidney Pontier in The Defiant ones.

This was never intended for Elvis. Sammy Davis Jnr. says it was in his autobiography, but he also stated that it was in the '60s. 'The Defiant Ones' was made in 1958.
Elvis would have had more blacks in his films, which he requested Barbara McNair to be in Change Of Habit and Parker didn't want her toi be in it but gave in.
Says who? You're making all this sh*t up just to suit your cause.
Parker didn't even want Elvis to work with The Sweets. That's why I called him a racist. Elvis wanted to do a blues album and Parker was against it and instead wanted a country folk album.
More unsubstantiated bollocks.
It was Parker who killed Elvis and his career
No, it was Elvis who killed Elvis.