Why does RCA continue to make Elvis sound so easy listening?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

JYM
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by JYM »

As I understand what Lakeisha wants from BMG, a good way for BMG and RCA to thank Elvis fans is to release all the catalogue from 1968 to 1977 REMIXED AND REMASTERED in order to get a sound that honor our new sound systems.

Elvis has to be respected by the label that made so much money because of him and his fans.

I understand what you meant Lakeisha.

Imagine a song like ''Stranger in my own town'' with a base drum. The base drum that the guy in 1969 hit!!!!!! Not a new one! GEEZZZZZZ!

Topic author
Lakeisha
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Lakeisha »

Thank you JYM. At least somebody here sees what I have been sayin all along.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

As I understand what Lakeisha wants from BMG, a good way for BMG and RCA to thank Elvis fans is to release all the catalogue from 1968 to 1977 REMIXED AND REMASTERED in order to get a sound that honor our new sound systems.
Just how "bad" do Elvis' RCA/BMG product (including FTD) really sound on today's so-called sound systems?

Not that bad at all. Let's not pretend that there haven't been upgrades, with some more lacking than others.

Let's not pretend that Elvis CDs are all that unpleasant to listen to.

I actually enjoyed the ALLC thing (and "Rubberneckin'") but wouldn't want them to get carried away, so I agree with Midnightx:
So with your logic, all dead artists that in your opinion do not appeal to the "mtv generation" should have their catalogues revamped with re-recorded music behind their voices for a more contemporary flair in order to sell more music to a younger generation. You basically have no respect for musical history and Elvis' musical history. You have no appreciation for the efforts and creativity of all the great artists from previous generations simply because they do not appeal to 20 year olds who prefer Green Day and Beyonce. Your "mtv generation" wouldn't buy or download an album of Elvis remixes regardless and in the end all it would do is tarnish and destroy the recording legacy of one of music's greatest talents. As someone else pointed out, an example of your logic would be to alter the Mona Lisa. Enough people are trying to rewrite history with Elvis' image, try to keep the music intact.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Graceland Gardener

Post by Graceland Gardener »

JYM wrote:Imagine a song like ''Stranger in my own town'' with a base drum. The base drum that the guy in 1969 hit!!!!!! Not a new one! GEEZZZZZZ!
Right, have the kick drum finally be heard!
Make the bassline have more thump and heard better!

Yes, that makes sense.

I understand what Lakeisha meant too.

Why all the infantile bickering and fighting?

Put more punch and power into the remastering, and don't wimp out the percussion and bass by burying it in the mix.

By not putting better aural emphasis on the bass, drums, guitar that were recorded, the music can indeed sound "lite"

JYM
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by JYM »

The Elvis music sound good right now but the people here who do not record or mix music don't realize how much the Elvis music would sound amazingly better after an update.

By the way, Ronny Tutt, James burton and Jerry Sheff are still alive. If I was BMG, these 3 guys would be right beside the sound ingeneer during all the process.

I know BMG won't put OUR money to do that! I'm just dreaming...
Last edited by JYM on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Lakeisha wrote: For the person who said ALLC wasn't a "hit" here is crazy. So what if it only peaked at #50 on the airplay charts.

uh, NO, it peaked at #50 on the "HOT 100", (The MAIN chart) can't u read and comprehend :?:
It went #1 on the BB Single Sales Charts and outsold the Song of the Year by Nelly and Kelly Rowland (of Destiny's Child) called Dilemma. So it was more successfull in long term sales than were the other hits of the year.
well, the single sold jus a tad over 55,000 units, (kool IMHO), but please, let's be realistic here, the singles market in the U.S. has been DEAD for years... :roll:
Even MTV put the video in their TRL Top 10 for the day! That's where my friends were like "woa, an Elvis video on TRL?"
wow, I guess we can all sleep at nite...Elvis wasn't even represented in the damn video to begin with :!: :!: :!:
And without ALLC added as a bonus track to E-1, then E-1 doesn't reach #1 in the US.
the more I read your childish drivel, the more I lose respect for you.

"ALLC" was a last minute addition to the tracklist of 30 #1's, but the cd would have still debuted at #1 because it was Promoted extremely well thru tv ads, radio, internet, billboards, jus about any type of hype BMG could think of:!:

Rather you like the re-mixes or not, they're gonna happen. So why complain about disliking them? They're notgoin away and more are comin.

Really :?: Do you work for BMG :?:

Do you have inside connections thru EPE :?:

Could you please elaborate and name a source/s for this breaking news info :?:

If I recall, earlier this year, Lisa Marie and Priscilla claimed that they would not allow another remix to happen unless it was done with integrity and respect for her Father's voice and music, not for the novelty of it being done.

In BMG's case, Ernst claimed that doing another remix and video would only be a finacial disaster for the record company. In order to get a solid and respectable "HIT", you need airplay and BMG would have to shell out Millions for the song to get plugged to Millions of listeners.

You could actually read the transcript from Ernst's mouth on this site thru the ASK ERSNT link. :wink:

personally, I don't see any new "REMIXES" happening for awhile, if at all...

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

minkahed wrote:
Lakeisha wrote: For the person who said ALLC wasn't a "hit" here is crazy. So what if it only peaked at #50 on the airplay charts.

uh, NO, it peaked at #50 on the "HOT 100", (The MAIN chart) can't u read and comprehend :?:
It went #1 on the BB Single Sales Charts and outsold the Song of the Year by Nelly and Kelly Rowland (of Destiny's Child) called Dilemma. So it was more successfull in long term sales than were the other hits of the year.
well, the single sold jus a tad over 55,000 units, (kool IMHO), but please, let's be realistic here, the singles market in the U.S. has been DEAD for years... :roll:
Even MTV put the video in their TRL Top 10 for the day! That's where my friends were like "woa, an Elvis video on TRL?"
wow, I guess we can all sleep at nite...Elvis wasn't even represented in the damn video to begin with :!: :!: :!:
And without ALLC added as a bonus track to E-1, then E-1 doesn't reach #1 in the US.

"ALLC" was a last minute addition to the tracklist of 30 #1's, but the cd would have still debuted at #1 because it was Promoted extremely well thru tv ads, radio, internet, billboards, jus about any type of hype BMG could think of:!:

Rather you like the re-mixes or not, they're gonna happen. So why complain about disliking them? They're notgoin away and more are comin.

If I recall, earlier this year, Lisa Marie and Priscilla claimed that they would not allow another remix to happen unless it was done with integrity and respect for her Father's voice and music, not for the novelty of it being done.

In BMG's case, Ernst claimed that doing another remix and video would only be a finacial disaster for the record company. In order to get a solid and respectable "HIT", you need airplay and BMG would have to shell out Millions for the song to get plugged to Millions of listeners.

You could actually read the transcript from Ernst's mouth on this site thru the ASK ERSNT link. :wink:

During August, the Dimurro guy at BMG said they want to target a new generation of fans and if that means redoing the music to fit Top 40 airplay then that's what they'll do. Sorry, but that's all the inside source I can remember at this point. It's late and I'm tired.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Okay. I won't complain anymore. If Sony/BMG feel they have to mess up Elvis' music in order to reach a new audience, then fine. Good luck. It's none of my business. I'm never going to hear it anyway. I didn't buy "E1", I didn't buy "Second to None" and I won't buy their next rip off either. As long as we have Ernst - God bless him - and the FTD label, I couldn't care less about what's going on elsewhere. I haven't bought a CD on the main label for years.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Lakeisha wrote:
minkahed wrote:

During August, the Dimurro guy at BMG said they want to target a new generation of fans and if that means redoing the music to fit Top 40 airplay then that's what they'll do. Sorry, but that's all the inside source I can remember at this point. It's late and I'm tired.

No prob, It's late and I'm tired 2 and I don't object to new remixes either... :wink:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Mood:

Re:

Post by JimmyCool »

midnightx wrote:While you are at it, maybe you should ask that new backing tracks are recorded behind a legend like Robert Johnson, after all, he may gain a younger audience. :roll:
Six years later, it happened:
:roll:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Why does RCA continue to make Elvis sound so easy listen

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

Elvis' albums sounded "easy listening" because Felton Jarvis mixed them that way and got the King's approval. And for the most part I am happy with it.

Rob

Re: Why does RCA continue to make Elvis sound so easy listen

Post by Rob »

Jaykeisha!

Now there's a blast from the past that we all hoped would never be revived.

Thanks a bunch.