Live In Memphis
16%
In Concert
1%

Total votes: 110

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:Bump if only because I now prefer Madison Square Garden and well, because I can!

8)
When I posted I had no idea how good 24bit CDs sounded. I do not have MSG yet. Do you find it needing a remix?

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

JLGB wrote:
Matthew wrote:Bump if only because I now prefer Madison Square Garden and well, because I can!

8)
When I posted I had no idea how good 24bit CDs sounded. I do not have MSG yet. Do you find it needing a remix?
I would be interested to hear it in a remixed form so it matches up with Afternoon In The Garden and Live In Texas but expect I would hold onto the original regardless as the 24 bit version is very well done. Worth checking it out I would say.

rockerman

Post by rockerman »

I think msg is more exciting to listen to because of the crowd, but if I were to have one of my friends listen to a live album, it would be On Stage. His voice sounds better and it's more of a rocker. My vote is for On Stage.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

On Stage.

None of the songs had been recorded by Elvis before, which makes it more interesting than an album full of inferior (if sometimes bloody good) versions of his oldies.

This interesting tracklist also makes it less predictable.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

LonnieBeale

Post by LonnieBeale »

MSG though I like AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN more! ON STAGE(second) is great, but MSG is a complete show.

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

The best in terms of sound and songs is the ORIGINAL "On Stage".

The one I enjoy listening to most is MSG (evening) because it reminds me of how it sounded the 1 time I was fortunate enough too see him "Live".

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

JerryNodak wrote:The best in terms of sound and songs is the ORIGINAL "On Stage".

The one I enjoy listening to most is MSG (evening) because it reminds me of how it sounded the 1 time I was fortunate enough too see him "Live".
Very cool MSG! Agree On stage original even though it was overdubbed.. but so were lots of other artist live albums.

Marc

Post by Marc »

On Stage. Elvis was stellar in 1970.

MSG. what a disapointment!

enjoy your day

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Marc wrote: MSG. what a disapointment!
Sorry......wha???

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Suspicious Minds and the oldies as usual were rushed. It is incredible that most of us automatically turn off the weak material and listen to an Elvis live show and give it a rating without taking into consideration what we black out. And we also say that one is good for 75 or 77 and so on. With other artists we would just say that album sucked! And that would be the end of that. :lol:

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

carolynlm wrote:There is only one Elvis album I don't like....ROR.....OK, bring out the knives, but that's my opinion. But you are right about listening to other artists albums and saying that it's not a good album....there are a few in my collection that I have purchased just for one song on the whole thing.....
Elvis' live albums are all good...for one reason or another, whether it be the song list, or Elvis' mood....there is always something to find in them.
Im not fond of ROR either Carolyn.

sam

Post by sam »

Kylan wrote:
carolynlm wrote:There is only one Elvis album I don't like....ROR.....OK, bring out the knives, but that's my opinion. But you are right about listening to other artists albums and saying that it's not a good album....there are a few in my collection that I have purchased just for one song on the whole thing.....
Elvis' live albums are all good...for one reason or another, whether it be the song list, or Elvis' mood....there is always something to find in them.
Im not fond of ROR either Carolyn.
It's a good album IMO!!! :P

Wasn't the original MSG sped up just a slight tad, so it would fit on an LP??? Something I heard somewhere. Not sure though!!! And I haven't listened to it in ages.

8)

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

Hmmm im not sure Sam, but wow i cant believe people are slagging MSG! geeesh

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Bringing this one back to life to run with the current studio thread!

8)

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I like them all. I don't have a favorite. It depends on my mood. I do wish though that we would get sound upgrades of In Person, On Stage, MSG and EIC before I die.

GIRL HAPPY BOY

Post by GIRL HAPPY BOY »

Hello friends
another very hard question, i like them all but i vote for:
IN PERSON , because i like elvis in 1969 , great solo guitar by James, Johnny b. good is one of my favorite & this version is super
there is also the great number that we can only find in this LP: MY BABE
it's a good number :wink:
my second coice is: ON STAGE :D
sincerely
LIOR

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

For me it's the original Elvis In Person lp. The tour de force version of Suspicious Minds. The wildfire Mystery Train-Tiger Man medley. The hard-hitting My Babe. The sizzling Johnny B. Goode. The rendition of I Can't Stop Loving You that comes across more as a blues-rocker than the big ballad interpretations of later years. The oldies treated with respect. The whole thing just rocks so damn hard! Only Onstage Feb. 1970 matches this lp for hard-rocking intensity.

Topic author

Post by Guest »

I went for 'On Stage'. Elvis was on top of the music world in 1970. :smt023

Topic author

Post by Guest »

On Stage for me too closely followed by MSG and an Afternoon in the Garden.........love the way he plays with the audience when they know hes going to sing Hound Dog :D

Topic author

Post by Guest »

I like them all, but I voted "On Stage", because that`s the one I`m listening to the most. Next comes Memphis 74.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

could have made it a draw, but my vote pushed "on stage" to number one with 30 % at the moment :!:

horrible coverpic :wink: , but a great selection and variety of unusual and rare songs, his voice is very upfront (compared to "madison square").
the original "garden" album can´t be number one (for me), because, as carolynlm pointed out, the show rushes on with a pretty fast pace, like his usual concerts from the end of ´70. if rca did even make the tape run faster on purpose, that´s one more reason why this one can´t be best original live album, ´cause, if they really did, they were faking music history.

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The MSG tape doesn't run faster. As to faking music history, well On Stage, Live In Memphis, Elvis In Concert are all overdubbed in the studio. Madison Square Garden is a true concert compared to the other albums (Aloha is too). Does this make it better? Maybe, maybe not. On Stage is more a songs album and is great for it.

bray1977

Post by bray1977 »

"On Stage" for me.

I'll follow it with "Aloha". Just because of the previously unreleased tracks on there and because nobody else has mentioned it yet. :lol:

50,000,000 Elvis fans cant be wrong.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Matthew wrote:The MSG tape doesn't run faster. As to faking music history, well On Stage, Live In Memphis, Elvis In Concert are all overdubbed in the studio.
ok, that´s a valid point that i didn´t think about.

i also agree with you that "on stage" is more a songs album" instead of a true concert from beginning till the end. nevertheless, "as recorded live at madison ... " - tape running faster or not - is a bit too fast-paced for me (compared with my choice).

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I personally like the fast pace of Madison Square Garden, he was rocking the house. The New York fans were there for a good time and he sure as hell gave them one! As to sound quality, I implore anyone with concerns over this to purchase the Japanese Paper Sleeve edition of Madison Square Garden, it is quite remarkable how much better it sounds compared to the standard release. Plus you get the original album artwork front and back.