May 29th '77 airport candids!

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Ricky »

Sorry about leaving early last night...yeah Funky Angel it was the Landover concert, a week earlier. actually, it's Largo, MD., depending on which side of the street you're standing on...anyway Sambo, I once read a great article by Bob Heis on the ring situation. But I was standing stage right during CHFIL. The TCB ring bounced on / then off the stage. He looked surprised, then just grinned....he had it back on later in the tour.

Sambo
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Sambo »

So, then the story is true; he got the ring back? I wonder if he was confused and meant to give the rings to Charlie and throw out the scarves?

Did he look like he was in pain before he left for 20 mins? Wonder what was wrong with him.

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Ricky »

Sambo wrote:So, then the story is true; he got the ring back? I wonder if he was confused and meant to give the rings to Charlie and throw out the scarves?

Did he look like he was in pain before he left for 20 mins? Wonder what was wrong with him.
No the ring was pulled over the band-aid on his finger. All I remember him saying when he came back was " When ya gotta go. you gotta go " and these suits aren't easy to get out of.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

You swallow laxatives like M&Ms and see how YOUR night goes.

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by MB280E »

According to the review in Variety as printed in The Concert Years he besides "nature called" also mentioned a pinched ancle.

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Didn´t he also fall and hurt his back on this tour?

Sambo

Post by Sambo »

MB280E wrote:According to the review in Variety as printed in The Concert Years he besides "nature called" also mentioned a pinched ancle.

Sincerely MB280E
I'm going to have to see if I can get a copy of this book. Sounds like something I would really like to have in my collection.

Stephen Butler

Post by Stephen Butler »

Is anyone able to answer my questions?

Stephen Butler:

Special Elvis Agent At Large

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Kathy had a rough night in Baltimore, as well. During Elvis' absence, the audience grew impatient and booed lustily as she sang My Heavenly Father. But, at the end of the song she received a strong round of applause.

Elvis said "Nature calls. And you can't fool Mother Nature."

Jerry Hopkins wrote that Elvis was heard to mutter, "Sometimes it hurts me so f-in' bad." I don't hear him say that when I listen to the recording, but then again, the audio quality is poor.

MB280E

Post by MB280E »

Here´s the review as printed in The Concert Years 1969-77.

BALTIMORE
Variety:
What´s with Elvis:
Walks Out Midway At Show In Balto.

By Marty Bennett
A physically and artistically subpar Elvis Presley walked out on a strange concert performance for half an hour here Sunday night (29), but eventually returned. A Civic Center spokesman attributed the vet rock and roll singer´s murmuring, swearing and unscheduled haitus to the reported intestinal problem that had kayoed Presley from an earlier portion of his tour.
After the break Presley came on like gangbusters as he politely and apologetically tried to recoup his losses. He succeeded to the extent that only a handful asked for refunds but at the finale there was no ovation, and patrons exited shaking their heads and speculating on what was wrong with him.
Presley was heavy-eyelidded and appeared to most observers to be weak and tired. He announced he had to leave stage without explanation. When he returned he said he had left because of "a twisted ankle and nature calls and you don´t fool around with nature." Later he said "there´s nothing wrong with my health." He repeatedly thanked the audience for hanging with him and said ambiguously, "If you want us back we´ll come back" - to scattered mitting.
Presley, paunchy and apparently painted, first did 30 minutes marked by anemic singing a few stilted attempts at his patented gyrations, bewildering patter and awkward stage movement that included having an aide hand-hold his voice mike. Program consisted of ancient hits.
Presley´s show a week earlier at Capital Centre in nearby Largo was reliably described as "even worse." The Civic Center spokesman said Presley was on medication and was treated by a physician during the gap. While Presley was gone his troup´s uneven filling included a vocal flight by an anonymous opera songstress that drew a partial standing ovation, more than the main attraction received at any time after his intro.

He doesen´t even mention the obvious highlight (Unchained Melody), though he points out that "after the break Presley came on as gangbusters"...it must have been a strange experience, possibly shocking...

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Sambo

Post by Sambo »

MB280E wrote:Here´s the review as printed in The Concert Years 1969-77.

BALTIMORE
Variety:
What´s with Elvis:
Walks Out Midway At Show In Balto.

By Marty Bennett
Presley was heavy-eyelidded and appeared to most observers to be weak and tired. He announced he had to leave stage without explanation..... Presley, paunchy and apparently painted, first did 30 minutes marked by anemic singing a few stilted attempts at his patented gyrations, bewildering patter and awkward stage movement that included having an aide hand-hold his voice mike. Program consisted of ancient hits.
Presley´s show a week earlier at Capital Centre in nearby Largo was reliably described as "even worse." The Civic Center spokesman said Presley was on medication and was treated by a physician during the gap.

Sincerely MB280E

Thanks for printing that! It was so obvious that Elvis was sick. How sad he continued to tour.

Notice the reviewer also mentions the "hand-held mike". Someone mentioned that in another thread. It really did look unprofessional.

Agree with you MB280E, it must have been a shock; his leaving the stage.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

I listened to the Baltimore show last night.

The opening numbers sounded standard for the period. Elvis seemed to be in good humor.

At the end of You Gave Me A Mountain, he sang "You gave me indigestion.."

After he returned, an audience member shouted "Burning Love!!," to which he replied, "Burning stomach is more like it."

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Ouch.

"E" really needed extended time-off in '77 -if not the hospital
or the Betty Ford Clinic - if it had been created by then.

I wonder if every detail of that article on Baltimore was correct.

The author seems like a closet-Elvis hater.

How true is the "refund" story or the head-shaking or scattered applause?
The tone and how he say Elvis sang his "ancient hits" gives a little
of this away.

I'm sure it was a bad show, but we've seen how some take
that and run with it. Someone posted one such "review"
recently.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Sambo

Post by Sambo »

elvisjock wrote:I listened to the Baltimore show last night.

The opening numbers sounded standard for the period. Elvis seemed to be in good humor.

After he returned, an audience member shouted "Burning Love!!," to which he replied, "Burning stomach is more like it."
By saying they sounded "standard", do you mean tired and weak? I think some of his shows really sounded like he wasn't up to preforming.

The indigestion, burning stomach remarks; I wonder if this was related to his colon problems or just from his poor diet or lack of diet because of fasting to try and lose weight quickly. Many people have commented that he looks a little thinner during these months than he did in the early part of 77.

It does disgust me though that he was obviously suffering with stomach problems, throat problems, lack of energy, etc and yet had a dr on his payroll following him around on tours who seemed to not be too concerned about it. I've also read that Dr. Nick was surprised that Elvis had died. Now, when we look back at these pictures and listen to these concerts, we can see that his health was on the decline and that he was indeed dieing.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

I recall the anger that was stoked against Dr. Nick after
Geraldo Rivera's report on the death of Elvis on ABC-TV's
"20/20" back in 1979, a top-rated show at the time.

It was when Elvis' drug abuse
really seem to hit the fan and the "Doc" took a lot of heat,
probably well-deserved.

Very few ever rail against him anymore. I suppose it's moot
anyway and most realize that the King endorsed it.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Sambo wrote:
elvisjock wrote:I listened to the Baltimore show last night.

By saying they sounded "standard", do you mean tired and weak? I think some of his shows really sounded like he wasn't up to preforming.

The indigestion, burning stomach remarks; I wonder if this was related to his colon problems or just from his poor diet or lack of diet because of fasting to try and lose weight quickly. Many people have commented that he looks a little thinner during these months than he did in the early part of 77.

It does disgust me though that he was obviously suffering with stomach problems, throat problems, lack of energy, etc and yet had a dr on his payroll following him around on tours who seemed to not be too concerned about it. I've also read that Dr. Nick was surprised that Elvis had died. Now, when we look back at these pictures and listen to these concerts, we can see that his health was on the decline and that he was indeed dieing.
Without pretending to be qualified to discuss his medical condition, I've always believed Elvis' intestinal problems were a combination of years of poor diet, stress, heredity and drug abuse.

Anyone who takes painkillers will tell you that they slow down your digestive system. At Elvis' autopsy, it became apparent that in his case it was just about at a standstill. His colon was severely impacted. It's a very personal thing, and probably none of our business, but this was a person that was suffering great discomfort and pain, and was straining to move his bowels (which he obviously had not done for several days) when he was stricken.

I firmly believe that he had pain that required pain medication. It also seems that years of abusing that medication helped to put him on that "treadmill to oblivion."

InMemphis
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by InMemphis »

is it possible that Elvis surprised the band by going to the piano to perform Unchained Melody, and no one had anticipated putting a mic there?

What else were they to do?

Charlie did the same thing in the 68 special when Elvis decided to stand up.

Stephen Butler

Post by Stephen Butler »

InMemphis:

Elvis "surprised" the band on many occasions by going to the piano and performing Unchained Melody between December 1976 and June 1977. You would think that a mic would be placed nearby in case?

Elvis also "surprised" the band by electing to perform Are You Lonesome Tonight, That's All Right and, on occasion, Reconsider Baby and Lawdy Miss Clawdy whilst playing the guitar at the same time. You would think that a mic would be placed nearby in case?

The fact is that Elvis probably loved the theatricals of having Charlie hold the mic for him, as he might have felt less "on his own" on such occasions. Elvis could not wander around as he could when simply singing, and perhaps the whole Charlie thing was just a matter of moral support.

Stephen Butler:

Special Elvis Agent At Large

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

I've never cared for the routine of Charlie holding the microphone. It looks cheap. It was spontaneous in the '68 Special, but there was no reason why they couldn't have had a mic at the ready for those occasions during the 70's concerts when Elvis felt like playing guitar or piano. I believe the producers of EIC probably looked at the Omaha Charlie/mic footage and thought "that isn't gonna work."

Gregory Nolan Jr.

ImageI'm beyond "never caring" for it, Pete. At first, I thought it
was kind of neat and "spontaneous"- the spirit of making
"lemonade from lemons," etc.

Years later, I know it was actually pretty much planned.

Most of us like or can laugh about nearly everything
("oh that, 'Yoga Is As Yoga Does' ")
or understand it ( his depression, drug usage), but
the missing mike stand? :evil: Never.

It's rare that I find myself truly, truly cringing, and
saying "Elvis: why?" (Okay, parts of the '60s flicks...)
:roll:

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Sambo

Post by Sambo »

In all of his interviews, or the interviews that the Memphis Mafia gave, did anyone ever say why he had Charlie hold the mike?

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Stephen Butler wrote:The fact is that Elvis probably loved the theatricals of having Charlie hold the mic for him, as he might have felt less "on his own" on such occasions. Elvis could not wander around as he could when simply singing, and perhaps the whole Charlie thing was just a matter of moral support.
I'm sure Stephen nailed it. Elvis honestly seemed to like it, especially
when they did the "humor".... In the overall context, his
shows were not always very professional, even in the early heyday
of Vegas, one might argue...That is, the guy always had his ticks.

Oh, well.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Scatter »

I doubt Charlie would have protested even if he was recruited to hold "Little Elvis" during bathroom breaks.......... :wink:

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Scatter wrote:I doubt Charlie would have protested even if he was recruited to hold "Little Elvis" during bathroom breaks.......... :wink:
Probably have licked his fingers after.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Scatter »

DAMMIT Colin!!!!!! How am I supposed to get that visual out of my head now?!?!?! :P