Tracklist Southern Nights - 1975 Spring Tours

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Scott Hayward

Post by Scott Hayward »

Pete Dube wrote:I didn't know Elvis did Trouble in 1975. And at 1:05 this looks to be something more than a few lines.
Elvis did Trouble at least in the Huntsville May 31st matinee show, but it was more or less a teaser. Here's an excerpt from Chris Brown's book describing the event (starts with Elvis talking):
"We have a new record out, Ladies and Gentlemen, that's been out about a week, or two weeks now, and it's called T-R-O-U-B-L-E. And I don't know all the words to it. It goes like this...da da da da dum you lookin' for trouble..." Elvis sings with the drums and guitar quickly joining this impromptu version.

Continuing Elvis sings [the lyrics of Trouble up to don't you mess around with me] "I don't know the rest of it , so we'll do the next song..." which he tries to sing in time with the music.

I feel so disappointed that he has stopped. The band was just beginning to get into it...The audience is going crazy and they are obviously disappointed Elvis didn't complete this classic.

iamhekev
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by iamhekev »

Chris Brown use to come on the board quite a bit at one time....i liked his 2 books. 8)

KEV.

SAM...17.3.1955 to 24.1.2008

Marco Aurelio
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Marco Aurelio »

This is very good news!!! I can´t wait to put my hands on it!!!! :wink:

How many stars are in the sky ???? I´LL NEVER KNOW!

Mike DK
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Mike DK »

Great idea to release a CD like this and not just another complete show with one or two rare "not sung that often during this time" songs. :D This one I will buy.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

so we may conclude that this release covers the may-june tour. Instead of releasing one show from this particular tour, EXTENSIVELY covered by bootleggers, they have chosen the rare songs. So maybe is the follow up to dixieland, this covering the april-may tour, while spring tours covers the may-june

or otherwise it will feature too songs from the april tour, whose sound quality will differ a lot with the june ones. Just compare a damn fine show, macon to georgia, etc with let me take you home, capital performance, etc

Anyway, a fantastic release.

Iván

La voz del Rey

buddy holly
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by buddy holly »

Even this 50's lover is looking forward to this release. :wink:

Bring joy, avoid misery and be grateful

Kristian Hjelmaas

Post by Kristian Hjelmaas »

This upcoming release looks like a winner!

A very good idea to add this material to our shelves next to Dixieland Rocks! :lol:

Maybe we'll get similar FTD releases in the future, for instance to accompany the It's Midnight release? :wink:

Br
Kristian

ale
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by ale »

if this release is containing also the june tour then Burning love and Mystery train/ tiger man should be there for sure!!!
The only reason not to add them is to have a concert or compilation of songs from the june tour...release in the future.

Christopher Brown

Southern Nights

Post by Christopher Brown »

Finally, after all these years (more than 30!!), I will again be able to hear songs from Huntsville, 1975. Probably the greatest weekend of my life, as I started a 12-day 17 show tour following Elvis. This weekend in Huntsville Elvis sang songs I was not expecting, and sang them so beautifully.

I am especially happy to see that FOR THE GOOD TIMES and I'M LEAVIN' were captured on soundboard. The former was the most beautiful and slow version I'd ever heard -- we'll see if the soundboard substantiates this. I'm Leavin' was a hit single -- a number 1 -- that somehow missed, and I'll never know why. This is one of my favourite Elvis songs, and live versions -- with the drums kicking in -- are sensational.

And hearing TROUBLE for just a minute or so was something I vividly recall to this moment, and continue to lament Elvis' unwillingness to complete -- he must have known the lyrics, he'd been doing the song in Vegas.

This will be a great CD release from a tour that saw a very happy Elvis performing for thousands of fans -- and one of his biggest, still listening 30 years later.

P.S.

And thanks to IAMHEKEV for your nice comment about my two books, ON TOUR WITH ELVIS and ELVIS IN CONCERT. (Long sold out)

Christopher Brown

Johnny
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Johnny »

Kristian wrote:A very good idea to add this material to our shelves next to Dixieland Rocks!

Maybe we'll get similar FTD releases in the future, for instance to accompany the It's Midnight release?
Around about the time It's Midnight came out, Ernst said they were considering a compilation covering rarities and one-liners from August 74. By all accounts there's plenty of source material to choose from, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something like this come out sooner or later.

Johnny

iamhekev
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by iamhekev »

Your welcome...the build up to the shows you went to etc was fantastick reading for me.

Good to see you on the go again.

KEV.

SAM...17.3.1955 to 24.1.2008

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

iamhekev wrote:Your welcome...the build up to the shows you went to etc was fantastick reading for me.

Good to see you on the go again.
It's a shame that many of the older books are either ultra-expensive or impossible to find. That's one of the reasons I support the bootleggers who re-release thier old CD's now. Some of us weren't around when these things were released in the first place, you know. I think some of the books deserve similar treatment!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Christopher Brown

REPRINTING BOOKS

Post by Christopher Brown »

I hope you're not implying that a 'bootlegger' should reprint my books, and sell them? I'm sure you're not, but that's what first came to mind.

I have looked at redoing/updating my books, but I didn't want to do what I've seen many others do -- charging again for essentially the same thing, and therefore I never went about reprinting them.

Now, of course, if someone could guarantee me 500 or 1,000 copies -- then we'd be talking.

Christopher Brown

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Lots of fans like myself have totally missed your books, Mr. Brown,
so please "bring it on."

Matthew wrote:I just hope that the policy is not to be to release outtakes only on the classic album series as I'm not buying them. I have all the masters on various releases and do no wish to fork out for already released tracks, already released outtakes just to get a few unreleased outtakes.

The regular releases should have priority over the classic album/soundtrack series in my opinion because that is what Follow That Dream is supposed to be.

..and I still want Nashville '71 and Stax '73!! 8)
I'm sad to see that many of Elvis' albums ("...Is Back" and "Today")
have not been reissued for regular retail but I find it hard to complain
about the deluxe FTD 2-CD versions as you and Likethebike have done.

The purpose of FTD is not written in stone, as as my eternal badger
Rob* reminds me, the series won't last forever.

"Southern Nights" looks really refreshing. No dive-bomb routine? :smt036

*My current list of FTD's that I don't have: Summer Festival, All Shook Up,
Tickle Me, Today, Rockin' Across Texas, Kid Gallahad, Follow That Dream,
Harum Scarum, Fun In Acapulco,It Happened At the World's Fair, Spring Tours,It's Midnight...and Recorded Live On Stage in Memphis.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Rob

Post by Rob »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:The purpose of FTD is not written in stone, as as my eternal badger Rob* reminds me, the series won't last forever.
Just who are you calling "eternal?"

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

This spring tour 1975 was excellent -one of the best Elvis ever did-
and so should be the disc..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: REPRINTING BOOKS

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Christopher Brown wrote:I hope you're not implying that a 'bootlegger' should reprint my books, and sell them? I'm sure you're not, but that's what first came to mind.
No, no, no! :D

I was just saying that I appreciate reissues in general. Like the new Fort Baxter CD's for example. Because I wasn't around when they were released, and now they're difficult to find and quite expensive, too. I know a lot of collectors are moaning about reissues and stuff but to me and lots of other people it's all good, you know. If you (not a bootlegger) ever release upgrades / reissues of your books, I'll get them!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

TONY

FANTASTIC!

Post by TONY »

This is a very tasty looking release and I'm sure this is gonna be one of FTD's top sellers. "Spring tours '77" was a favourite of mine. Being a completist, I love having the complete shows, but will admit to becoming a bit immune to the "C.C. Rider", "I got a woman / Amen", "Love me" etc routine, so this new release is a refreshing and wonderful idea. I have had a lot of this material on audience recorded tapes for years and the versions of "Trouble" and "For the good times" are just wonderful. And if that is the cover, then it's superb too. Looking forward to this one.
Tony Dobb

Scott Hayward

Post by Scott Hayward »

My first reaction to this release was slight disappointment, but on second thought it's a good idea to release such a highlights package as there is so much bootlegged (and soundboard quality) material available from this time period.

I'm not very fond of the quality of Elvis' vocal performances during this time: a lot of times he sounds out of breath with strained vocals. Still, this new release is now on my shopping list! :)

Stranger in the crowd
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Stranger in the crowd »

Yeah, this will probably be a great release :)
Just one and a half month to go... :D :D

And one more FTD suggestion... how about a double-disc edition of "Elvis in concert", containing both shows from June 1977 in superb sound quality, accompanied by a great booklet with lots of pictures and information :D
This could, of course, also be released as a box set along with one or two DVDs with both complete shows and the original EIC broadcast :wink:

"There must be peace and understanding some time..." (If I can dream)

TONY

release.

Post by TONY »

Crikey! You don't want much do you, "Mr. Crowd"!? But, I'm sure they will get round to an audio release of that at some point, even if Elvis' performances weren't his best and it's hardly a "classic album".

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

With this upcoming release FTD will have pretty much covered 1975 live shows. There is only 1 known soundboard from July (Cleveland Ohio, which they may not have), and both the aborted August Vegas run and the New Years Eve show were apparently not recorded on sb. I'd be in favor of FTD releasing the audience recordings of August/Vegas and NYE - at a reduced price. And hopefully they have the Cleveland show (or end up getting it).

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by MB280E »

No specific dates are given yet as far as I can see, so I´d like to make some suggestions or speculate as to which shows are presented in this compillation.

That´s All Right - Huntsville 5/30/75 e/s or Tampa 4/26/75 a/s...?

It´s Now Or Never - couldn´t find any show from the first 2 tours where he performed this song, so could it be that they pick this from the Cleveland 7/18/75 show...?

Help Me - Tampa 4/26/75 e/s or Atlanta 4/30/75

Steamroller Blues - Atlanta 5/2/75 or Lake Charles 5/4/75 e/s...?

Heartbreak Hotel - ?

Release Me - Huntsville 6/1/75 a/s

Polk Salad Annie - impossible to decide as there are several performances to choose from...

I´ll Remember You - same as above

Little Darlin´ - same as above

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Mobile 6/2/75 e/s or Tuscaloosa 6/3/75

Tryin´ To Get To You - Houston 6/5/75

You Gave Me A Mountain - Houston 6/5/75

Help Me Make It Through The Night - Jackson 6/9/75

Fairytale - Memphis 6/10/75

Jambalaya - Lake Charles 5/4/75 e/s or Jackson 6/9/75

Big Boss Man - Macon 4/24/75, Jacksonville 4/25/75 or Cleveland 7/18/75...?

It´s Midnight - Tampa 5/26/75 a/s

Promised Land - no idea...Macon 4/24/75...?

Trouble - Huntsville 5/31/75 a/s

T-R-O-U-B-L-E - too many to choose from...!

Hawaiian Wedding Song - Tuscaloosa 6/3/75...?

Blues Suede Shoes - ?

For The Good Times - Huntsville 5/31/75 a/s

I Can´t Stop Loving You - Huntsville 5/31/75 e/s or Huntsville 6/1/75

I´m Leavin´ - Huntsville 5/31/75 e/s

As I said, these are just speculations. :wink:

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Rob

Post by Rob »

We'll compare to your predictions when the information is available to see how close you are. If you score 90% or better, I hear that there is a Kate Bush CD as a prize.

Or was that a CD-R?

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

MB280E wrote:Heartbreak Hotel - ?
Blues Suede Shoes - ?
Heartbreak Hotel was sung on 5/01/75 AS in Huntsville

Blue Suede Shoes was sung on 5/31/75 AS also in Huntsville

Note that both songs were sung only once in this tour so my bets that both really comes from Huntsville concerts.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."