Two inconsistent Elvis' eating-habits stories

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Drugs may...may have been a contributing factor to that particular moment, but I don't doubt for a second that Elvis was prone to spur-of-the-moment excess without the drugs. His entire life was marked by moments of spontaneous giving, going back to his childhood. I just believe that it was his nature to lavish things upon himself and those he thought were deserving. The fact that he owned an airplane and had the cash (at least he thought) to do as he wished only fueled this habit.

I probably speak for a lot of people when I tell you... if I had a spare $30K to just piss away on my friends & give them a few hours of happiness, something that they'd remember for the rest of their lives, you can bet I wouldn't think twice about it. And, I'm as sober as they come.

Eagle

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

JLGB wrote:Nobody does this type thing in their right mind.
You're wrong!! I have worked with celebrities for over 20 years and I've seen them do extremely elaborate things over and over again. Were they all drunk or on drugs??? Geez, dude, get over yourself and stop making blanket statements about something you have absolutely no knowledge of.

Tom

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

My opinion. I doubt you have seen anything as elaborate as that. And you are not the only one that has been around celebrities. So speak for yourself only please. Thank you..
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renan

Post by Renan »

I confess to you guys that If I could fly to another state just to eat a sandwich I´d do it! :shock:

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

All I will say is I love Elvis and as a human being did things that he was not proud of like all of us one time or another. I just made an opinion that is being blown out of proportion. And I stand by it.

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

JLGB wrote:All I will say is I love Elvis and as a human being did things that he was not proud of like all of us one time or another. I just made an opinion that is being blown out of proportion. And I stand by it.
You don't think he was proud of the fact that he came from abject poverty and was now able to fly his friends across the country on his own plane just to get something to eat?? You may be a fan, but you don't know a thing about the man. Just because it's your opinion does not make it right.

Tom

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

No I don't think so in that case. I know he was proud of helping people in need and buying his parents a home. But in this case.... Oh well like you said its my opinion....and I have said it all along. Also your opinion does not make it right either. After all, this board is about just that. Opinions.

SouthPaw

Post by SouthPaw »

JLGB wrote:He probably woke up the next day or night thinking what a stupid and wasteful thing he did.
Not likely, Elvis enjoyed the rush of being able to do things like that with out a regard to the costs associated with them.

"Ambition is a dream with a v8 engine" - Elvis

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Tom in North Carolina wrote: You may be a fan, but you don't know a thing about the man.
I know a little.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

SouthPaw wrote:
JLGB wrote:He probably woke up the next day or night thinking what a stupid and wasteful thing he did.
Not likely, Elvis enjoyed the rush of being able to do things like that with out a regard to the costs associated with them.
I did state later that there was probably an impulse factor.

Topic author
Promocollector

Post by Promocollector »

JLGB wrote: I know a little.

Very little, it seems!!

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006

Post by Silver »

Elvis WAS impulsive!!! Although I most certainly and emphatically do not agree with the colonel because he is off somewhere where facts don't count - I do believe that Elvis was bi-polar. My husband (b-p) eats the same thing not for a month, but for monthS. This makes it really easy for me to shop and cook. I NEVER have to wonder, "What shall I cook tonight?" As I said in other posts, I can match every single one of Elvis' oddities with one of my own. For instance, not too long ago, I posted that my husband's entire group of workers (women) walked out in concert on him. At one concert, I believe, the Sweets and Kathy Westmoreland walked out on E. (A mass walk out doesn't happen spontaneously; it is talked over after a number of irritants.) E shot out TVs; my hubby shoots the ceiling. Elvis spent a lot of money on stuff he didn't need. My SO spends thousands every year on LUGGAGE and we never go anywhere! Elvis went on eating binges; at present mine eats caramel custard -- tons of it (at least it seems like tons)! His breakfast, lunches, dinners are identical EVERY DAY!! Elvis liked to hole up in his room on off-times; mine stays here in our condo most of the time, usually in one room - the living room. (He's retired - I really pressed him into early retirement because he was waking me up in the middle of the night at about 2 or 3 am with all kinds of maladies and then I had to go teach the next day after hours in the emergency room.) Both he and E are impulsive, very temperamental, histrionic, narcissistic, avoidant, dependent, obsessive-compulsive... and they BOTH love music!!! (which doesn't have to do with anything - the music part) And I know which ones of you don't agree with me. You don't need to tell me! I have enough aggravation. It is not easy living an up-and-down life. As I said before, the ups are not always hilarious funny times, but can be very quick tempered times!!

JLGB is correct: there is a VERY large impulsiveness factor!! And, as with my husband, E was VERY intelligent. They both realize what they're doing, and they do it anyway. I've gotten to the point that I will buy any thing Elvis because I know if I don't the money will be spent on something else - something that isn't needed. (And Elvis IS needed!!)
sue

You'll never, never know the one who loves you so. . .

R.I.P. 2-10-2006
In Memory Of A True Friend To All

The FECC Team

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

silver wrote:Elvis WAS impulsive!!!
Yes, he was. I believe that Elvis would have done this even if he had been straight as an arrow at the time. Whether or not he was on something, I believe that he knew what he was doing at all times.

I don't think he ever woke up not knowing what he did the day before.

Not the gospel, just one fan's opinion.

SouthPaw

Post by SouthPaw »

silver wrote:Elvis WAS impulsive!!! Although I most certainly and emphatically do not agree with the colonel because he is off somewhere where facts don't count - I do believe that Elvis was bi-polar. My husband (b-p) eats the same thing not for a month, but for monthS. This makes it really easy for me to shop and cook. I NEVER have to wonder, "What shall I cook tonight?" As I said in other posts, I can match every single one of Elvis' oddities with one of my own. For instance, not too long ago, I posted that my husband's entire group of workers (women) walked out in concert on him. At one concert, I believe, the Sweets and Kathy Westmoreland walked out on E. (A mass walk out doesn't happen spontaneously; it is talked over after a number of irritants.) E shot out TVs; my hubby shoots the ceiling. Elvis spent a lot of money on stuff he didn't need. My SO spends thousands every year on LUGGAGE and we never go anywhere! Elvis went on eating binges; at present mine eats caramel custard -- tons of it (at least it seems like tons)! His breakfast, lunches, dinners are identical EVERY DAY!! Elvis liked to hole up in his room on off-times; mine stays here in our condo most of the time, usually in one room - the living room. (He's retired - I really pressed him into early retirement because he was waking me up in the middle of the night at about 2 or 3 am with all kinds of maladies and then I had to go teach the next day after hours in the emergency room.) Both he and E are impulsive, very temperamental, histrionic, narcissistic, avoidant, dependent, obsessive-compulsive... and they BOTH love music!!! (which doesn't have to do with anything - the music part) And I know which ones of you don't agree with me. You don't need to tell me! I have enough aggravation. It is not easy living an up-and-down life. As I said before, the ups are not always hilarious funny times, but can be very quick tempered times!!

JLGB is correct: there is a VERY large impulsiveness factor!! And, as with my husband, E was VERY intelligent. They both realize what they're doing, and they do it anyway. I've gotten to the point that I will buy any thing Elvis because I know if I don't the money will be spent on something else - something that isn't needed. (And Elvis IS needed!!)
sue
Sounds like a helluva marriage!

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006

Post by Silver »

Southpaw,
You should be so lucky to marry someone as tolerant and accepting as I am (for over 25 years)!! But then, I work with kids, what else would you expect?? :wink: :lol:
sue

You'll never, never know the one who loves you so. . .

R.I.P. 2-10-2006
In Memory Of A True Friend To All

The FECC Team

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Sue -
You should feel right at home on this board! (kids)

We're glad to have you watching over us. Some of us need it.

Jim Dandy

Post by Jim Dandy »

SouthPaw wrote:
silver wrote:Elvis WAS impulsive!!! Although I most certainly and emphatically do not agree with the colonel because he is off somewhere where facts don't count - I do believe that Elvis was bi-polar. My husband (b-p) eats the same thing not for a month, but for monthS. This makes it really easy for me to shop and cook. I NEVER have to wonder, "What shall I cook tonight?" As I said in other posts, I can match every single one of Elvis' oddities with one of my own. For instance, not too long ago, I posted that my husband's entire group of workers (women) walked out in concert on him. At one concert, I believe, the Sweets and Kathy Westmoreland walked out on E. (A mass walk out doesn't happen spontaneously; it is talked over after a number of irritants.) E shot out TVs; my hubby shoots the ceiling. Elvis spent a lot of money on stuff he didn't need. My SO spends thousands every year on LUGGAGE and we never go anywhere! Elvis went on eating binges; at present mine eats caramel custard -- tons of it (at least it seems like tons)! His breakfast, lunches, dinners are identical EVERY DAY!! Elvis liked to hole up in his room on off-times; mine stays here in our condo most of the time, usually in one room - the living room. (He's retired - I really pressed him into early retirement because he was waking me up in the middle of the night at about 2 or 3 am with all kinds of maladies and then I had to go teach the next day after hours in the emergency room.) Both he and E are impulsive, very temperamental, histrionic, narcissistic, avoidant, dependent, obsessive-compulsive... and they BOTH love music!!! (which doesn't have to do with anything - the music part) And I know which ones of you don't agree with me. You don't need to tell me! I have enough aggravation. It is not easy living an up-and-down life. As I said before, the ups are not always hilarious funny times, but can be very quick tempered times!!

sue
Sounds like a helluva marriage!
LOL thats what I was thinking. Bugger that for a joke. Stick to playing Elvis and get yourself a lawyer, get yourself a reeeeeaaal gooood one LOL.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

I doubt that Elvis regretted this episode at all.........it was FUN.
It was a story to be told and retold and laughed over for the rest of his life.
It made him and his friends happy.
$28,000 wasn't going to solve or hurt his precarious financial situation. It cost about $50,000 to run Graceland for a month.
I can just see Elvis wringing his hands the next day.....
"Gosh Billy.........I could have kept this place runnin' for over 2 weeks with that money. What was I thinking??? By the way.........have they delivered my new Caddy yet???"
DAMMIT, IT WAS FUN!!!!!!
You must be a thrill at parties JLGB :wink:
(did I mention it was fun??)

Elton

Post by Elton »

..Back to the topic, I read somewhere that Elvis' eating habits included that evrytime he ate a sandwich he would ALWAYS hold it with BOTH hands
as can be seen in several photos from lmt to fs pics.. and as seen in King Creole where he's eating a sandwich before he leaves for school...

anyone know more of these tidbits?

later Elton

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Promocollector wrote:
JLGB wrote: I know a little.

Very little, it seems!!
Thanks expert! I guess I can't complain. Over 600 posts and everyone has been very nice to me. We'll almost. :D

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Elton wrote:..Back to the topic, I read somewhere that Elvis' eating habits included that evrytime he ate a sandwich he would ALWAYS hold it with BOTH hands.
anyone know more of these tidbits?
No, but more importantly, how many times did he chew it before he swallowed? Do you know if he also held his glass with both hands while drinking? The most important question of all is....did Elvis ever eat a sandwich with both hands while wearing a jumpsuit with matching cape and belt?

We really need to get to the bottom of this mystery. I've wondered about it for years.

SouthPaw

Post by SouthPaw »

silver wrote:Southpaw,
You should be so lucky to marry someone as tolerant and accepting as I am (for over 25 years)!! But then, I work with kids, what else would you expect?? :wink: :lol:
sue
Uh huh, yep I wouldn't had to gave away so much...but then compared to your husband....I am looking damn near perfect....LOL

Now...I am going to go have myself a crying fit and sit in the dark of my bedroom for a few days....but my therapist says it all washes out in the wash and for a few thousand more I will be able to get over my father being a bastard and my ex-wife being a witch.....soon I will be able to date.....

Elvis' Babe
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

i spent this entire summer eating grilled cheeses and quesadillas for nearly every meal. and yes, i have an obsessive disorder as well. and if my grilled cheeses and quesadillas aren't prepared exactly the way i like them (pretty brown-nearly-burnt on all 4 sides of the bread/tortillas individually)...i will freak out.

i spent several years in my pre-teens eating microwave burritos for nearly every meal. breakfast included.

your hubby's behavior is not foreign to me. i used to scream whenever somebody turned on the vacuum cleaner.

i also keep my bedroom dark--drapes and blinds closed 24/7, with the fan full-blast so it gets cold. i sleep all day and stay up all night.

sound familiar?

i watch the same movies, watch the same tv shows, and listen to the same music for years over and over again, even though i memorized things.

elvis' behavior doesn't seem so weird to me as it probably does to a lot of you.

do i think elvis felt guilty about treating friends to an unforgettable experience? heck no. do i think he would have done it again? in a heartbeat.

if i had a plane that i could have take off at any time of the night or day...you bet i'd be going off on crazy trips. one of my dream vacations is going from airport to airport wherever i can fly for free (daughter of a pilot--i get free airfare on usairways), and like spending a month hopping to airports. i mention it everytime we go on a trip that i'd like to do it. i mean, seriously, if i had the means, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

so jlgb...can it. elvis was giving things away when he was a kid. and you can't blame that on drugs. in fact, i honestly don't think drugs can explain any of his behavior. i fully believe that was him. if you don't like it--you don't like him as a person. which is fine. the guy had mood swings, and i can't complain, because i'm probably just as insane to live with. his flaws make me love him more, because he wasn't normal level-headed boring guy.

my rx pad note for you is 'get a personality'. excuse elvis for having one that people are still trying to understand.

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Elvis' Babe wrote:
so jlgb...can it.
I was only referring to that particular situation! Do not put words in my mouth please!!!I have loved Elvis before you were conceived so give me a break! KIDDO!!(sorry Mr. Tallhair) But let me tell you EVERYONE tends to spend and give more when they are under the influence. Thats a fact! And Elvis' so called friends knew that! And they sure did not complain!!!
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

JLGB wrote:
Elvis' Babe wrote:
so jlgb...can it.
I was only referring to that particular situation! Do not put words in my mouth please!!!I have loved Elvis before you were concieved so give me a break! KIDDO!!(sorry Mr. Tallhair) But let me tell you EVERYONE tends to spend and give more when they are under the influence. Thats a fact! And Elvis' so called friends knew that! And they sure did not complain!!!
JLGB, where does it say that EP was under the influence? I'm not ganging up on you, just wondering if you read it somewhere.