Two inconsistent Elvis' eating-habits stories

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Jth

Two inconsistent Elvis' eating-habits stories

Post by Jth »

I read a story about Mary Langston (her maiden name is Jenkins), one of Elvis' cooks, and there were two stories about his eating habits.

First off, there is the story about Elvis eating meat loaf for a very long time - a story that I first read about in "Everything Elvis", in that book it says that Elvis ate meat loaf 28 days in a row - but in the article that I found in a newsgroup (alt.obituaries) it states that he ate it for about a year and a half (very probably untrue).

Second, the unbelievable story when Elvis ordered a sandwich called "The Fool's Gold" from Denver, and flew his plane there to pick it up! But on the newsgroup it states: "would occasionally fly from Memphis to
Denver on his plane to pick up subs from a Denver restaurant named Fools Gold" (and I always thought that the name of the sandwich was called "The Fool's Gold").

What I want to know is which one has any truth to it?

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

I've also heard both stories. I don't think it's impossible for Elvis to have eaten meat loaf for a month straight, as I've dined on meatloaf for a week straight and could have gone longer. My wife's is the best! I doubt, however, if he ate it for over a year without alternating something else in its place.

The Fool's Gold sandwich story is true.

The evening of February 1, 1976, found Elvis home at Graceland entertaining two favored guests in the jungle room. Capt. Jerry Kennedy was a member of the Denver police force, and Ron Pietrafeso was in charge of Colorado's Strike Force Against Crime. Elvis had met both men several years earlier during his period of extreme interest in law enforcement, which culminated in his surprice drop-in visit to President Nixon, who named Elvis a "special agent". Tonight, as Elvis sat on his Kon Tiki throne chair in front of the jungle room's babbling waterfall, the discussion centered on law enforcement in Colorado.

Elvis however, was reminded of something else. Colorado was
the home of the absolutely delicious sandwich, the best Elvis had ever eaten: The Fool's Gold.

Elvis had sampled the sandwich only once, when after a concert he was
invited to a restaurant called the Colorado Cold Mine Company in the Denver suburbs of Glendale. He ordered the house specialty, which was named Fool's Gold because of it's outrageous price -$49.95. The first bite alone was enough to make a lasting impression on Elvis.

Now, months later, Elvis was reminded of those sandwiches. Both of his
guests from Colorado were very curious about this extravagant treat. The King's policy when enteraining in his rock and roll palace was to grant his guests' every desire - your wish was literally the King's command, be it a game of racquetball at four in the morning or a down-home Southern breakfast at midnight. However, the "Fool's Gold Loaf", since it came from a restaurant in Denver, would stretch the limits of even Elvis' notion of hospitality.

Elvis gazed across at his guests, who were comfortably ensconced on the Hawaiian armchairs, cushioned by the rabbit's fur throw pillows. The conversation continued to revolve around the sandwiches. One of the guys impulsively remarked, "Boy, I wish I had me one of them now!", Elvis knew what he and his guests wanted and the thousand-mile-journey to the Fool's Fold Loaf would not deter him. Elvis looked at his friends and shouted, "Let's go get 'em!"

Before the lawmen knew what was happening they were seated inside Elvis' stretch Mercedes along with another couple of Elvis' buddies, and whisked to the Memphis airport. Elvis' personal jet, the Lisa Marie, was waiting for them on the tarmac. As the four jet engines roared for takeoff, the excitement inside the plane revved even higher as Elvis and his guests were about to be flown the two hours to Denver for Elvis' favorite sandwich, the most mouthwatering sandwich known to the King.

Once aloft, Elvis, the lawmen, and the rest of the gang gathered in the plane's dining room, around its leather topped table sith surrounding bucket seats upholstered in aquamarine plush. Though Elvis often snacked on the Lisa Marie, in anticipation of the filling treat to come his only indulgence was a bottle of his vine de table - regular Pepsi.

At the Colorado Gold Mine Company, the scene was frenzied. The call had come in from Memphis at midnight. The cooks had less than two hours to prepare the "takeout" order of their lifetime. The massive griddle was scrubbed clean in order to fry up the huge quantitites of bacon required. The loaves of bread were quickly hollowed out and then briefly browned. The other ingredients were always ready. Miraculously, the staff completed its creation in the nick of time. The restauranteur,
his wife, and a waiter speed of off for the Denver airport with twenty-two loaves. As requested, a case of Perrier and a case of champagne accompanied the sandwiches, along with a chest of cracked ice.

Elvis' plane touched down at 1:40 am at Stapleton Airport and taxied to a private hangar. The owner of the restaurant personally brought Elvis and his party the order on silver trays. For two hours in the Denver night, the feasting went on. It was typical of Elvis' generosity that he insisted that the plane's pilots, Milo High and Elwood Davis, join the fun. Elvis, as usual, avoided the alcohol, instead washing down the sandwiches with the Perrier. It was yet another night of dining Elvis style on food fit for the King.

And just what is "Fool's Gold Loaf"? Far be it from Elvis to settle fon an ordinary peanut butter an jelly sndwich. Fool's Gold Loaf is a p.b.j realized on such a heroic scale as to become truly Olympian.

An entire loaf of bread is warmed and then hollowed out. The sandwich is
generously spread with peanut butter and an equally thick layer of jelly.
Finally, lean bacon has to be cooked, at least a pound fried to crispness,
to fill the reamining belly of the loaf. The massive loaf is then downed
while the bacon is still hot. The serving size? One loaf per person.

Eagle

Topic author
Jth

Post by Jth »

Thanks, EagleUSA.

Guess that the "Everything Elvis" book is right on the two stories, guess that means I won't be buying Mary Jenkins book!

I wish I was as rich as Elvis, then I would also jump on my plane and fly to Denver to get a hold of the sandwich :)

Mind you, I would first buy EPE!

TCB TED

Post by TCB TED »

So, 22 loaves, each must be consumed while the bacon in the belly of the sandwich is piping hot.
By my count, there would be Elvis, 2 guests, 2 crew, perhaps Linda and 1 or 2 pals.
I wonder how many sandwiches Elvis consumed?

Here's a 1974 pic, holding a jar of Skippy peanut butter ... the man liked simple pleasures.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

He probably woke up the next day or night thinking what a stupid and wasteful thing he did.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

I read somewhere the total cost for everything was $28,000, is that possible? You got to love this story as only EP would go to this much trouble for a sandwich no less. Great stuff and thanks for the posts gang!

tupelo_boy

Post by tupelo_boy »

JLGB wrote:He probably woke up the next day or night thinking what a stupid and wasteful thing he did.
I sincerely doubt it. When you can afford to indulge even the most outlandish whim, chances are you will.

This is nothing compared to his car buying sprees, it's going out for a sandwich. Obviously you disapprove?

Geoff

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

Topic author
Jth

Post by Jth »

This night flight of Elvis made it at number 5 in Q magazine's 2003 list of the 100 Most Insane Moments in Rock. Can anyone tell me what was number 1, 2, 3 and 4?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

tupelo_boy wrote:
JLGB wrote:He probably woke up the next day or night thinking what a stupid and wasteful thing he did.
I sincerely doubt it. When you can afford to indulge even the most outlandish whim, chances are you will.

This is nothing compared to his car buying sprees, it's going out for a sandwich. Obviously you disapprove?

Geoff
He could have afforded to book the Concorde and get a snack over there real fast. It would still have been stupid, and when he got "down" again, he would have regretted it also. He was not a stupid man.

tupelo_boy

Post by tupelo_boy »

I don't think he was stupid - but we may have to differ on what counts as fun when you're rich and can afford to do these things.

Best wishes

Geoff

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I respect your opinion . But the spur-of the -moment things he did including shooting TVs was due IMO to the chemicals in his body. And that is why I think when he was of sound mind and body he probably regretted it. Even though he showed no remorse to his father when the bills came, he must have felt it. He was not a tycoon.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

I agree with Geoff. Getting there would have been half the fun. I don't think that Elvis ever felt a bit guilty, much less stupid, about doing things like this. He loved being spontaneous and had the means, so why not.

Tom

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Tom in North Carolina wrote:I agree with Geoff. Getting there would have been half the fun. I don't think that Elvis ever felt a bit guilty, much less stupid, about doing things like this. He loved being spontaneous and had the means, so why not.

Tom
He was spending above his means and he knew it.

Tom in North Carolina

How could you possibly know this?? Oh that's right, you couldn't.

Tom

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

He did not play a couple of New Years Eve shows because he wanted to celebrate with the fans. And he didn't mortgage Graceland to pay Priscilla because his bank account was full. And the last TV special was certainly not because he felt it was a good time to be filmed and shown later on national/worlwide television. It was all because he needed this $$$... and I know he knew that!

Tom in North Carolina

Well thank you for your incredible insight into the personal mind of Elvis. Say, is this Larry Geller????

Tom

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

No. Just a fan.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

I love reading true stories like this. It kind of reminds me of his sudden urge to see Nixon.

JonRomanovich

Post by JonRomanovich »

Fool's Gold Loaf
2 tablespoons butter

1 loaf Italian white bread

1 pound lean bacon

1 large jar Skippy smooth peanut butter

1 large jar Smuckeräs grape jelly

Preheat the oven to 350f. Spread the butter generously over all sides of the loaf.
Place the bread on a baking sheet in the oven. Meanwhile, fry the bacon until it
is crisp and drain it thoroughly on paper towels. Remove the loaf from the oven
when it is evenly browned, after approximately 15 minutes. Slice the loaf lengthwise
and hollow out the interior, leaving as much bread along the wall as desired. While
the bacon is still warm, fill the insides of the loaf with peanut butter and jelly to
taste. Arrange the bacon slices inside the cavity, or, if desired, layer the bacon
slices between the peanut butter and jelly. Close the loaf. Savor.

iF iT'S tOO lOUD, yOU ARE tOO oLD

I'm on facebook!! Jon Romanovich

Topic author
Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Linda Thompson, was on the 1987 BBC Documentary "Presley" and she stated that Elvis ate Meatloaf everyday for a whole year,she used that as an example of his "Addictive nature."

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Dan_T wrote:Linda Thompson, was on the 1987 BBC Documentary "Presley" and she stated that Elvis ate Meatloaf everyday for a whole year,she used that as an example of his "Addictive nature."
If I were Meatloaf, I'd have been outta there pronto !

Sounds like something from the Rocky Horror Picture Show !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
Promocollector

Post by Promocollector »

JLGB wrote: And that is why I think when he was of sound mind and body he probably regretted it.
I doubt it!! He was rich and had his own plane, what's to regret?

I once read that Frank Sinatra had a Pizza delivered to his hotel suite in London from his favourite pizza place in New York.

If you can afford it then why not. I for one would love to be in a position to do the same.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Promocollector wrote:
JLGB wrote: And that is why I think when he was of sound mind and body he probably regretted it.
I doubt it!! He was rich and had his own plane, what's to regret?

I once read that Frank Sinatra had a Pizza delivered to his hotel suite in London from his favourite pizza place in New York.

If you can afford it then why not. I for one would love to be in a position to do the same.
Sinatra could afford it . Elvis did not leave much when he died. I wonder why?

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Jesus Christ, JLGB, are you his mother? Elvis was a grown man and entitled to flush every red cent he earned down the toilet if that was his desire. I'm not saying he made the smartest financial decisions, but he certainly knew how to enjoy a dollar.

Eagle

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

EagleUSA wrote:Jesus Christ, JLGB, are you his mother? Elvis was a grown man and entitled to flush every red cent he earned down the toilet if that was his desire. I'm not saying he made the smartest financial decisions, but he certainly knew how to enjoy a dollar.
That is not the point! Everyone is entitled to do with his/her money what they want. I just have my own opinion. And thats my right! So if you think it was cool to spend thousands of dollars on a couple of sandwiches I respect that too. I just happen to think it is the opposite. I tend to think Elvis did it because of the drugs. Nobody does this type thing in their right mind. Unless you own a country or a sheik or Rockefeller etc. where millions of dollars are spare change. And I think Elvis was not proud after the fact. I remember an interview when he almost apologized for having 9 cars or close to that. So I guess impulse enters the picture too. I cannot stress enough my opinion only....
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.