Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Matthew

Will FTD be subject to copy protection?

Post by Matthew »

Get your good CDs while you can!:
Sony to pull controversial CDs, offer swap
By Jefferson Graham, USA TODAY
LOS ANGELES — Sony BMG Music Entertainment said Monday it will pull some of its most popular CDs from stores in response to backlash over copy-protection software on the discs. (Related item: Firestorm rages over lockdown on digital music)
Sony also said it will offer exchanges for consumers who purchased the discs, which contain hidden files that leave them vulnerable to computer viruses when played on a PC.

"Sony BMG deeply regrets any inconvenience to our customers and remains committed to providing an enjoyable and safe music experience," the company said. Sony says more than 20 titles have been released with the XCP copy-protection software, and of those CDs, over 4 million have been manufactured, and 2.1 million sold.

Details about how long it will take to replace the XCP CDs and about its consumer exchange program will come later in the week, Sony said.

For now, pulling the CDs off shelves "could go a long way toward making a consumer feel comfortable that the CD they just purchased isn't going to mess up their computer," says record store owner John Kunz of Waterloo Records in Austin.

Country-rockers Van Zant's Get Right with the Man kicked off the firestorm when a blogger traced a hidden, spyware-type file on his computer to the CD. Other XCP copy-protected CDs include new releases by Neil Diamond, Celine Dion, Cyndi Lauper and Burt Bacharach.

Before Sony's announcement, Van Zant manager Ross Schilling urged the label to recall all the CDs. "I said we've got to be proactive, or it could destroy the business model," Schilling says. "Sony should be in the artist business, promoting and selling records. This type of issue sheds a negative light on their ability to do that."

Sony began adding copy-protection to its CDs in June 2004 with the release of a record by the band Velvet Revolver, saying it was taking a step against unauthorized online file-sharing and CD burning.

The label says it will issue all major releases with copy-protection in 2006, as will rival label EMI. The other major labels, Universal Music and Warner, have yet to release copy-protected CDs.

Sony also issues copy-protected CDs using software from digital rights management company SunnComm. But those, which include releases by the Foo Fighters and the Dave Matthews Band, haven't come under the same kind of attack.

However, many artists have spoken out about all forms of copy-protected CDs, including Matthews, the Foo Fighters and Christian rock band Switchfoot. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are set to release a new album on Sony in January, and it will not be copy protected, says Fleck's manager, David Bendett.

Frustrated when he bought a copy-protected Dave Matthews release and couldn't copy it to his Apple iPod, Fleck insisted that Sony not release his new album with such restrictions, Bendett says.

Sony says its copy-protected CDs are clearly marked, but the front labels don't identify whether they use the XCP software. That information is included in small print on the back of the CD, which reads "?cp.sonybmg.com/xcp".
Will this effect FTD releases and mainstream Elvis releases? Save those old CDs!

Topic author
Jth

Post by Jth »

I for one, hope not; but here - for those interested - is a list of 47 discs that has this "copy-protection":

Foo Fighters - In Your Honour
Van Zant - Get Right with the Man
Ricky Martin - Life
Sarah McLachlan - Bloom Remix Album
Celine Dion - On Ne Change Pas
Neil Diamond - 12 Songs
Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
Santana - All That I Am
Chris Botti - To Love Again
Switchfoot - Nothing Is Sound
Patty Loveless - Dreamin' My Dreams
Montgomery Gentry - Something To Be Proud Of: The Best of 1999-2005
Mary Mary - Mary Mary
My Morning Jacket - Z
David Gray - Life In Slow Motion
Bob Brookmeyer - Bob Brookmeyer & Friends
Shelly Fairchild - Ride
Kasabian - Kasbian
Pete Seeger - The Essential Pete Seeger
The Bad Plus - Suspicious Activity
Elkland - Golden
Susie Suh - Susie Suh
Buddy Jewel - Times Like These
Chayanne - Cautivo
A Static Lullaby - Faso Latido
Our Lady Peace - Healthy In Paranoid Times
The Coral - The Invisible Invasion
Dexter Gordon - Manhattan Symphonie
Acceptance - Phantoms
Dion - The Essential Dion
The Dead 60s - The Dead 60s
Goapele - Change It All
Los Lonely Boys - TBD
Life of Agony - Broken Valley
George Jones - My Very Special Guests
Horace Silver - Silver's Blue
Amici Forever - Defined
Ahmed Jamal - The Legendary Okeh and Epic Recordings
Anna Nalick - Wreck of the Day
Hitch - Soundtrack
Charlotte Martin - On Your Shore
Vivian Green - Vivian
Raheem DeVaughn - The Love Experience
Amerie - Touch
Nivea - Complicated
Mario - Turning Point

Renan

Post by Renan »

In the very near future people will create a technology to break this rule.....efforts will work for a couple of months...my point of view.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

CD-collector2004

Post by CD-collector2004 »

Why copy at all? I looks like crap and its killing music business, but again who cares, right? Its not our money?

Come on guys, stop it! It looks cheap and there is nothing like original cover art and nice looking booklets.

Btw how many are proud owners of a nice looking CDR collections and how many of care to have the original pressings?

If you dare to be honest?

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

CD-collector -

Most of us buy the originals.

We 'copy' the tracks onto our computer so as to make our own compilations etc.

Legally, we are allowed to make a disc copy as a backup should the original be damaged.

Very few of us are making CDR copies to sell on !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

CD-collector2004

CB

I really hope you are right, really, as anything else is lousy!

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

ColinB wrote:CD-collector -
Legally, we are allowed to make a disc copy as a backup should the original be damaged.
In the UK at least, it is NOT legal to copy a CD for 'backup' purposes. A common misconception.

Chris

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Most of us buy the originals.

We 'copy' the tracks onto our computer so as to make our own compilations etc.
I couldn't go on without being able to make my own comps.
It is something I look forward to on a pretty regular basis.
Especially with all the FTD's being released.
I probably make a comp CD two or three times a month for my drives back and forth to work.

CD-collector2004

ChrisM wrote:
In the UK at least, it is NOT legal to copy a CD for 'backup' purposes. A common misconception.

Chris
That is so cool! But it still happens right?

gareth

Post by gareth »

I heard on the news here in the U.K. Some record company (i can't remember which one) has recalled all their copy protected cd's because of all the complaints they have had.

sam

Post by sam »

When you buy a CD you should be able to make your own compilations from them so you can have a CD full of the tracks you like to play in the car or walkman or anywhere. So long as you have purchased the original music.
Maybe not the law but that's how it should be!!!

8)

iamhekev

Post by iamhekev »

Amen sam.

KEV.

SAM...17.3.1955 to 24.1.2008

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

gareth wrote:I heard on the news here in the U.K. Some record company (i can't remember which one) has recalled all their copy protected cd's because of all the complaints they have had.
That's Sony.

Colin B

Eileen

Post by Eileen »

ColinB wrote:
gareth wrote:I heard on the news here in the U.K. Some record company (i can't remember which one) has recalled all their copy protected cd's because of all the complaints they have had.
That's Sony.
I believe they've only stopped the cds with the XCP Rootkit protection, not their cds that include SunComm spyware protection - so just one type of copy protection has been temporarily suspended.

Eileen

This post is for readers of the FECC forum. Permission to copy this post elsewhere is not granted.

Renan

Post by Renan »

CD-collector2004 wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Chris
That is so cool! But it still happens right?
Of course it happens. I don´t even need to think much about it. It happens with all artists so why not with Elvis?

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Spellbinder »

ChrisM wrote:

Chris

The relevant legislation covering the copying of CDs makes no specific reference to making a back-up copy for personal use so it is impossible to say whether or not is is illegal. This would have to be decided by the courts should such a test case appear before them.

In my opinion - and it is only my opinion - no court would convict if it were proven the copy was to be used solely by the original purchaser of the CD. Equally, I am sure no recording company would ever try to bring such a case to court.

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Spellbinder wrote:
The relevant legislation covering the copying of CDs makes no specific reference to making a back-up copy for personal use.
That is the whole point. The legislation states that only the specificly listed exceptions (e.g. computer software backups) are legal. The fact that audio CD copying is not mentioned is the reason it is illegal.

Chris
Last edited by ChrisM on Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Let me qualify that, then.

Copying for that reason is effectively legal, since no one is ever going to be taken to court for doing it.

Did you know, in some parts of the UK, it is impossible to legally dispose of babies nappies ?

They can't be flushed down the loo, they can't be burned, they can't be put out with the rubbish.

And yet thousands are disposed of weekly, with no one being arrested !

Colin B

iamhekev

Post by iamhekev »

Anyone selling cd-rs should have there arse kicked.

SAM!,may have a new job for ya :wink:

KEV.

SAM...17.3.1955 to 24.1.2008

Spellbinder

Post by Spellbinder »

ChrisM wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
The relevant legislation covering the copying of CDs makes no specific reference to making a back-up copy for personal use.
That is the whole point. The legislation states that only the specificly listed exceptions (e.g. computer software backups) are legal. The fact that audio CD copying is not mentioned is the reason it is illegal.

Chris
Because there is no specific reference it follows that it needs to be tested in the courts. This is one beauty of Her Majesty's legal system.

We may criticise British justice as much as we like but it still remains true that, unless something is specifically forbidden, it is deemed to be legal unless Her Majesy's courts dictate otherwise.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

CD-collector2004 wrote:Why copy at all? I looks like crap and its killing music business, but again who cares, right? Its not our money?

Come on guys, stop it! It looks cheap and there is nothing like original cover art and nice looking booklets.

Btw how many are proud owners of a nice looking CDR collections and how many of care to have the original pressings?

If you dare to be honest?
I generally agree with releases like Legendary Performer 6 & 7 from Madison being two great examples. I have # 5 on CDR but now I need the original (right after i get a certain FTD.)

The thing is, for price reasons alone, a newcomer to boots (myself) can quickly swap for a huge chunk of the FECC "Top 40" and get to have the music. Let's face it: your ears cannot hear the difference.

It would break the budget to have bought all these in one fell swoop. But I agree that there's nothing like the real thing.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Sony got blasted for this one. Andy Lack is so old-school, now his ass is on the line for giving Springsteen a $100 Million contract which the label will never make a dime on and he headed a movement for the copyright protected software. While other labels 'leak' music to the internet for promotion (and it pays, ask Eminem and U2), Sony screws with fans of the computer age of music listening. Lack is trying to desperately hold on to the way things were in the stone-age which is bringing Sony down. BMG is not happy with that fool. Don't expect any more spyware in their cds for awhile.

sam

Post by sam »

iamhekev wrote:Anyone selling cd-rs should have there arse kicked.

SAM!,may have a new job for ya :wink:
But it don't pay well!!! :P

sam

Post by sam »

I saw this Sony cd walkman that plays MP3's as well.

Hundreds of songs on one disc, it advertised, but if your not allowed to copy and make your own discs, where do you get them from to play?

:?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

sam wrote:I saw this Sony cd walkman that plays MP3's as well. Hundreds of songs on one disc, it advertised, but if your not allowed to copy and make your own discs, where do you get them from to play?
Well, you just buy them again! Just download all your favourite songs from you favourite paysite. Special price just for you! Special offer! Get rid of those old CD's and get your favourite songs in the new and improved MP3 format!

The record companies have this aaaaaaaallll figured out, see. :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!