All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

This is fun

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:56 pm

We baked Way Down for 5 hours at 400 degrees. It was the only screwed up tape 2inch , bad batch Ampex, IT HAPPENS. It coagulated nicely, before we did it it shredded al over the floor before the song started. The tech stopped the machine, he saved the song. We were all so nervous on playback, transferred ot to the the Sony digital and hightailed it out of there. We were lucky.
As far as the Beatles, of course the vinyl sounds better, always did. I love vinyl. The mastering job I though was a hack job. Talk about distortion!! I am surprised the living members approved it, weird. E1 made history for many reasons, to me the biggest one being the magnitude of a body of work over a lifetime. The marketing was great, the world soccer promo and the Junky single ALLC all helped. What we did was try to take the music to the masses, it all worked. I am proud to have my name on an Elvis record. It has not helped me get any work in my career as it means nothing to the bands and artists I work with these days which is kind of sad. If I am proud of one thing its the DVD in surround, and we beat the Beatles to the punch, delivering a killer true representation of the songs. One day you can all come over to my house and hear it on a good system. Anyone got popcorn?

iamhekev wrote:E1...went on to make/help Presley break records in the UK charts,when they issued the 18 no1"s.

E1 one sold like there was no tomorrow,on this small island off ours...with it still been a big seller in store like HMV etc.

History?...to right it made history...be proud off that fact MR BENDETH.

Re: Beatles

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:58 pm

David Bendeth wrote:You mean besides all the typo mistakes on the lyrics? The strawberry filelds edit, The noisy mastering all bright and hissy, the crossfades on Sgt pepper, the different levels of songs...please dont get me started.

Well I don't have it....and I'm not likely to change that situation after reading what you say, David!

:evil:

Jules

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:14 pm

I am in NYC . I dont mind doing that if we can all be constructive and learn from each other. I dont like the hating much and I cant change the past, BUT, I can help with questions. I dont know too much about jumpsuits either and that thread is beating us by a country mile!

woodleyjohn wrote:Given that this thread could expand to many pages, how about the moderators setting aside a special page, or David, where do you live? Perhaps we could set up a Q&A session here in the UK with you. What do you think?

I was wondering

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:23 pm

Why I am here these past few days on this site. Over the past two years I havent really stopped. I have produced and mixed a few platinum records and I have 6 records coming out next year, One has a chance of entering the chart on Billboard at #1 we will see. I have mixed over 95 songs this year alone!!
I guess I missed the Elvis fans, I miss and admire probabely the greatest fan club in the world. I have been working with a lot of independant bands lately, non majors. Some of them have sold hundreds of thousands of records. One of the bands I met had a van roll this week on tour and a member was killed, he was young, a drummer.A wonderful kid.
It made me think about music and fans and what this is really all about. Passion and dedicaton and of course re-invention.

David Bendeth wrote:I am in NYC . I dont mind doing that if we can all be constructive and learn from each other. I dont like the hating much and I cant change the past, BUT, I can help with questions. I dont know too much about jumpsuits either and that thread is beating us by a country mile!

woodleyjohn wrote:Given that this thread could expand to many pages, how about the moderators setting aside a special page, or David, where do you live? Perhaps we could set up a Q&A session here in the UK with you. What do you think?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:38 pm

:shock:

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:48 pm

David,

Welcome to the FECC board.
I enjoyed reading your comments and your answers to our questions.

It's great to read your stories about how the Elvis 30#1s CD was done, and your contributions.

Keep up the fine (and informative) posts!

Tom (from Ohio)

Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:08 pm

Hi David,
thanks for the many great Infos!
Its very informative :D

nice to see you buddy, welcome back

Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:34 pm

Hi David remember me lol..........I was one of two lucky fans who had the chance to go the the launch party in the big apple. My late and great friend Ian Ledgerwood aka Nighthawk had an amazing and wonderful experiance thanks to the great kindness of David his family and some of the gang at rca/bmg.It rocked and I will never forget it .I was the first fan in the world to hear the wonder of you outtake and it blew my mind.........after I got over the shock of hearing it I asked David why the f... did you use an outtake lol.Anyway ,I know how much work and effort went into making that album ,not before or since have I seem this type of dedication to an elvis album other than the great work of Kevin Budd who did an awesome job on the sun cd.Now I know E1 was not alot of peoples cup of tea but remember this ,it has sold in excess of 11million units and introduced many young and new fans to the king which has to be a great thing for the long term appreciation of elvis presley.The only thing I would say to David is that you don't need to kid everyone about the 56 outtakes you gave me and Ian lol :D aswell as all the other stuff :oops: Anyway I loved the dvd and play it more than the cd if you don't have a copy then hunt one down its fab.If I never mentioned this David my fave cuts on the album are his latest flame,burning love and way down...they sound terrific. p.s. please send the rest of those outtakes to sunny Scotland when you get a chance ok.....Send my love to the family.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:38 pm

:smt020 :smt035
Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: nice to see you buddy, welcome back

Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:45 pm

Hey Will,
Ill send you the out takes when you pay me back for the 12 cases of scotch the 32 cases of beer and the 10 bottles of Tequila you guys drank, And that was just on the wednesday afternoon. As far as the wonder outake he did warn me, but I ignored him because he was a Scotsman and they lie. It was great to have you here and when you were sober ..I think on the sat morn at 9am, you were a wealth of Elvis Knowledge. I heard you hurt your back..hope your feeling better, try drinking?
After those guys left we took the bottles back and got back $103.55, It was a fun WEEK.
I know wherever Hawky is, he will still be the smallest big man around.
love back,
DB

Will wrote:Hi David remember me lol..........I was one of two lucky fans who had the chance to go the the launch party in the big apple. My late and great friend Ian Ledgerwood aka Nighthawk had an amazing and wonderful experiance thanks to the great kindness of David his family and some of the gang at rca/bmg.It rocked and I will never forget it .I was the first fan in the world to hear the wonder of you outtake and it blew my mind.........after I got over the shock of hearing it I asked David why the f... did you use an outtake lol.Anyway ,I know how much work and effort went into making that album ,not before or since have I seem this type of dedication to an elvis album other than the great work of Kevin Budd who did an awesome job on the sun cd.Now I know E1 was not alot of peoples cup of tea but remember this ,it has sold in excess of 11million units and introduced many young and new fans to the king which has to be a great thing for the long term appreciation of elvis presley.The only thing I would say to David is that you don't need to kid everyone about the 56 outtakes you gave me and Ian lol :D aswell as all the other stuff :oops: Anyway I loved the dvd and play it more than the cd if you don't have a copy then hunt one down its fab.If I never mentioned this David my fave cuts on the album are his latest flame,burning love and way down...they sound terrific. p.s. please send the rest of those outtakes to sunny Scotland when you get a chance ok.....Send my love to the family.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:15 am

It sounds like some fun was had along the way, too - and
hopefully "after the work. " :lol:

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:25 am

David Bendeth did the mixing for E1 ? Don't you believe it.

To see why Wills and Ian were really invited to NYC just click here to get to the gallery on Davids site and then click on the pic in the bottom left titled "ian will"

Now you know who did the real mixing both from the bottle and the console. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:59 am

That's a heck of a kilt. Ian was always nice to me and we had some great conversations.

Welcome back, David. Like many others, I appreciate your comments here and your great work on E1.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:46 am

Hi David:

Just wanted to thank you again, for the E1 promo CD you sent to me, as well as to other fellow fans.

I was in the Chat one night when you were in, and I had to answer your questions correctly to win the prize!

Sure enough, some 3 or 4 days later - there was my CD at the door.

Come down for dinner sometime in NJ, would love to meet you.

Regards,
Rich

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:51 am

Steve_M wrote:David Bendeth did the mixing for E1 ? Don't you believe it.

To see why Wills and Ian were really invited to NYC just click here to get to the gallery on Davids site and then click on the pic in the bottom left titled "ian will"

Now you know who did the real mixing both from the bottle and the console. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve..its breaks Wills and my heart`s that Ian is not with us still..If it had not been for Davi asking them to the party..and we all thought at the time it was a wind up...and I said..go for it I`ll pay your flight, we called Davi`s bluff..not that it was a bluff..and they went.....we took Ian to where he thought he`d never be, and I`m so glad he experienced it....he left us with the knowledge..he`d been there.. and if Elvis was in heaven he`d meet up with him..I just only hope to hell he does not sing Hurt to E....he`s absolute crap :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:18 am

I hope he does sing Hurt to Elvis, it'll be the only thing that drives Elvis out of heaven and back down to earth again. :wink:

I have to say that seeing that pic does create a mixture of emotions, doesn't it ? Happy and sad at the same time.

PS, I just got home and heard that you phones me ? My son said something about a mad Scots woman on the phone, so I guessed it was you. :lol:

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:52 am

David

i do love your work on "In the ghetto" on e1
Great Job on that track.

i havnet got the dvd of e1 yet, but its on my list. :D

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:15 pm

Great thread! :D Keep it going!

Welcome to the board David!

Nighthawk forever!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:24 pm

John -

You wrote:
I don't know a single thing about jumpsuits as it has nothing at all to do with the music.

Well, I'm quite an expert.

1] Elvis wore them [The Osmonds, too].

2] Came in all colours but Elvis liked the white one's.

3] Some had sort of spangly bits on.

4] Some had matching capes.

5] The trousers were all flares.

6] In the later years, they accentuated Elvis' heavier stature.

What else do you want to know ?

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:30 pm

There ya go, Colin has the lot.

Get that into a book as soon as you can Colin, there are people on here who want to buy it. :lol:

jumpsuits

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:53 pm

I knew I came back for a reason, and now I know why....JUMPSUITS. Maybe I should have mixed the record in a jumpsuit. Would that have helped?

Steve_M wrote:There ya go, Colin has the lot.

Get that into a book as soon as you can Colin, there are people on here who want to buy it. :lol:

Great Story, from James Burton

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:04 pm

So I am sitting in the lounge at the hit factory speaking to James Burton. We are chewing the fat. He tells me this story about Jimmy Page and Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin.
They all get into an elevator the four of them, Elvis, Robert, James and Jimmy. Robert is almost passing out he is so nervous, he cant beleive he is meeting Elvis. He says "Elvis I am such a big fan, I love your music, I love your shows, I have listened to you for most of my life. Elvis is humble and says thanks. Elvis says who are you? You guys look like you are in a band. Jimmy says, we are a band called Led Zeppelin and proceeds to give Elvis Led Zeppelin one, the album vinyl. Led Zeppelin gets off the elevator still in a daze, . Elvis and James go their rooms.

Later that night James phome rings, its Elvis, He is BLASTING Led Zeppelin 1 on his turntable. He is pissed off. He said to James "deleted - see guidelines #2 it James why dont our records sound like this? DId you hear the Bass? This record is amazing!! James replied " I know Elvis I wish our records sounded like that too, more powerful, more bass, more aggressive. Elvis said, wow this was a real eye opener, and hangs up the phone.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:09 pm

It would have helped as much as a straight jacket. :lol:

Nice story about LZ. Elvis was pissed about the records, wasn't he ? He loved the full sound he got on stage, but they never produced the records the same.

Where were you when he needed you David? Guess 30#1's kinda made up for it. :wink:

Hey, there's a thing. Why don't you pick a live Elvis track David and mix it the way Led Zepplin would have done and put it on a server so we can listen to what Elvis really wanted.

Is that feasible ?

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:12 pm

Classic...

That the same time plant starts to sing LOVE ME and presley swaps lines with R.Plant?.

I suppose old Studio B was not up to the ZEPP mix. :lol:

Great stuff.

Re: Great Story, from James Burton

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:22 pm

David Bendeth wrote:So I am sitting in the lounge at the hit factory speaking to James Burton. We are chewing the fat. He tells me this story about Jimmy Page and Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin.
They all get into an elevator the four of them, Elvis, Robert, James and Jimmy. Robert is almost passing out he is so nervous, he cant beleive he is meeting Elvis. He says "Elvis I am such a big fan, I love your music, I love your shows, I have listened to you for most of my life. Elvis is humble and says thanks. Elvis says who are you? You guys look like you are in a band. Jimmy says, we are a band called Led Zeppelin and proceeds to give Elvis Led Zeppelin one, the album vinyl. Led Zeppelin gets off the elevator still in a daze, . Elvis and James go their rooms.

Later that night James phome rings, its Elvis, He is BLASTING Led Zeppelin 1 on his turntable. He is pissed off. He said to James "deleted - see guidelines #2 it James why dont our records sound like this? DId you hear the Bass? This record is amazing!! James replied " I know Elvis I wish our records sounded like that too, more powerful, more bass, more aggressive. Elvis said, wow this was a real eye opener, and hangs up the phone.

Awsome story! I got to see the Mighty Rearranger in concert this past March, great stuff!

JEFF d
Elvis fan