Latest member - David Bendeth

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Delboy

Latest member - David Bendeth

Post by Delboy »

The latest member of the FECC forum is David Bendeth. Is it the David Bendeth of '30 #1 Hits' fame? I think we should be told. :D

If it is! Welcome to board David.

If it isn't! Welcome to the board David. :D

familyjules

Re: Latest member - David Bendeth

Post by familyjules »

Delboy wrote:The latest member of the FECC forum is David Bendeth. Is it the David Bendeth of '30 #1 Hits' fame? I think we should be told. :D

If it is! Welcome to board David.

If it isn't! Welcome to the board David. :D
So if it isn't him he gets a 'the' in his welcome?

What did the David Bendeth of '30 #1 Hits fame' do to be denied his 'the'?

:lol:

Jules

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

We'll need to see some ID, please... :wink:

Eagle

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

Old Blendeth has been with the forum for some years.. how do you think he managed to invite two of the chat room members to the 30# 1`s party in New York....Welcome back Davi :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Careful of ol' Bendy, he likes to put his "pop" in wherever he can. :lol:

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Steve_M wrote:Careful of ol' Bendy, he likes to put his "pop" in wherever he can. :lol:
Whatever that means.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I don't know what to make of this, but let's keep Jerry Nodak
away from David Bandeth. :lol:
I, for one, mostly enjoyed E1 and the record shows that so did
most fans, even many curmudgeons.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Topic author
Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Steve_M wrote:Careful of ol' Bendy, he likes to put his "pop" in wherever he can. :lol:
Yeah,and the less said about his "Flange" the better ! :wink:

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Dan_T wrote:
Yeah,and the less said about his "Flange" the better ! :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

ColinB wrote:
Whatever that means.
Colin.. where have you been...old Blendy put the pop in Hound Dog..... :roll: :wink:

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Bendy the ol' bugger beat us to it.

Click on his name and view his profile, especially his occupation :lol: :lol: :lol:

To think he tried the old, "It was a flaw in the master tapes, honest" approach :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy-M

Post by Andy-M »

Great to see David in this Forum :D
Welcome onboard David :) 8)

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

Andy-M wrote:Great to see David in this Forum :D
Welcome onboard David :) 8)
As I said.....he`s been around the blocks a few times..on here...now I want to get him back into chat..IM me Davi and I`ll round up the gang..love to the family xx :wink:

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Rusty Martin* wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Whatever that means.
Colin.. where have you been...old Blendy put the pop in Hound Dog..... :roll: :wink:

I knew that.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

David Bendeth

OMG!! Its David Bendeth (NO the please)

Post by David Bendeth »

Well, thanks for the warm welcome from the old gang and the new gang. I am finally free of BMG and I can say whatever the hell I want now, Isnt that cool?
Ok, the pop, the flanging, the outakes, the mastering, the spaces between songs, the NO menu DVD, the compression. I am sure that I really asked for it coming here to this forum.
Frankly its fine with me. Everyone has made mistakes in their lives, everyone should be forgiven unless they hurt someone phsically or damaged them mentally. If I have upset you I apologize, I just didnt have all you guys in the room with me to advise me and give me hot Elvis tips. Although deep in my heart, even with all of you there helping me, there would always have been some SOB whining about something. So to the people that want to be constructive and positive, maybe inquisitive, I am here as a layman, like you. I never proffessed to be a genius, I was humbled immensely by the experience and now years have passed and we can talk freely. So lets talk. I am not going to engage in petty mudslinging crap though. If that happens, I will just leave and come back in 10 years..or so. I have a habit of going underground for extended periods of time without notice.
I know there are people in this group that know a lot more Elvis than I ever will. I respect that.
I learned a lot behind that console for 6 months, a lot about Elvis and a lot about myself. I am not a know it all, I am a student of music and continue to try and do that everyday. Hope everyone here is well, I miss Ian he had a big heart and was real in every way, you need to know how we met, its a great story. so again thanks for the welcome, lets talk,
DB

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

David welcome back to the forum. I loved the job you did on E1, especially the video promotion where Glen Hardin and James Burton listened to the excellent job you did on that CD, not to mention the interaction with the kids on that video as well. Looking forward to your input!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Last edited by Juan Luis on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Bendeth

Matering.

Post by David Bendeth »

You know Ted and George at Sterling are real pros. I have deferred to their expertise for over 25 years. Mastering was a battle. The question was always will the kids like it? Will young people listen? Will Elvis get any new fans, or was this just another BMG hype job selling you guys the same old songs again.
It had to be competitive, it pissed me off to no end with that "brick wall" the nuances of our work dissapeared, it was sad. Every record made today is LOUD. Whose fault is that? the label, the fans? who knows, its a tragedy. I had no control over the mastering because I am not a mastering engineer. I am a mixer and a producer. Ted and George told me not to worry, they said it would balance out. 13 million people agreed. Would it have sold that many without them? who the hell knows. I think A little less conversation helped a little, NO KIDDING!! that was loud too. Never did anything in the USA though, that was sad too. I loved that mix JunkyXL did, and he wasnt even their first choice to mix it. Loud music is on ipods, its on car stereos, its in $5000 systems in Jeeps. Most people like to hear music loud. For the record, we mixed it very quietly. Som songs suffered worse than others, I always listen to the stereo track on the DVD, its not loud, its the real deal.

monkboughtlunch

Post by monkboughtlunch »

David

Welcome. Some have reported that BMG did a "stealth remastering" of the E1 tracks on the recently issued 3 CD comp "HitStory."

I haven't heard this new comp, but I'm wondering if you have.

Did BMG remaster all the E1 tracks, or only the handful of cuts that many objected to, such as the infamous pop (Hound Dog), alternate takes (Wonder of You) and flanging (Suspicious Minds)?

When BMG remastered the cuts for HitStory, did they use your remix of Burning Love, or Dennis Ferrante's mid 1990s remix?

Topic author
goldrecords2002@yahoo.com

Post by goldrecords2002@yahoo.com »

And don't forget that david didnt use the original splice master of splice takes 3 and 4. of"Big Hunk O' Love' that's the version made the big hit for Elvis. and on the intro to "way down" sound kinda od odd to me.

David Bendeth

Curtis, I am here....Why are you talking like I am not?

Post by David Bendeth »

Curtis, you can ask me personally, I wont take offence. As far as the other compilations I really know nothing. I have not listened to them and I dont know if they have beem tampered with. I would not be surprised. Its quite common for people to change something and resell it again isnt it?

I really dont know what they could do as we always had the original master tapes. You know, now that you mention it, and reading a few posts back about the DVD, to me that is the consumate way to listen, 96k straight off the master from the stereo tracks. They were not brick walled. Very lightly compressed. Most of the real "audiophiles" never commented on these mixes, I thought that was hilarious. I mean this was the first time anyone could listen to a true master recording. There were not many takers, thats about when I started to take nothing personally. Everyone had the oppurtunity, few really understood the technology.

As far as the "splice master" I mixed and mastered what I was given. The only time there were discussions were on suspicious minds (the horns) and the version of The wonder of you. We had six different versions of that song, none were marked master tape. I picked the best one, and we mixed it. When the band showed up they thought it was awesome and they had never heard it before. My instinct as a producer was to always go with what the artist likes, in this situation I ruffled many feathers, I know that now.
There were many experts that heard this record before it came out, maybe there was a hush agreement who knows. Oopps I forgot the piano was missing on Now or Never, flew that in too.
No one said anything to me before or after it was mastered. As far as Way Down goes Curtis, I have no clue what you mean? The Band heard it that played on it, the writer that wrote the song heard it and so did a pack of other people. You are the only one I know that has commented. I have the original demo with the dog barking at the end. Layng ended every demo he wrote with him barking.
Layng Martine Jr gave me the demo himself of his version and the Elvis demo. Elvis immitated the dog at the end of his track just like Layng.
There are tons of versions of out takes and mixes and mastering sessions. I dont know how you lot keep up!! Must be hard, like collecting coins.
If I regret anything I wish someone had been with me that knew more while I was doing this. My job was never to be a historian, it was to mix and produce.

goldrecords2002@yahoo.com wrote:And don't forget that david didnt use the original splice master of splice takes 3 and 4. of"Big Hunk O' Love' that's the version made the big hit for Elvis. and on the intro to "way down" sound kinda od odd to me.

thenexte

Re: Matering.

Post by thenexte »

David Bendeth wrote:Most people like to hear music loud. For the record, we mixed it very quietly. Som songs suffered worse than others, I always listen to the stereo track on the DVD, its not loud, its the real deal.
Those were my exact thoughts when I first listened to the Dolby 2.0 stereo track on the E1 DVD-A, why the heck does it sound so much better than the E1 CD itself?! So are you saying the stereo track on the DVD-A contains the audio in the state after it was mixed and before it was mastered for CD at Sterling? Thanks for sharing your insights, really appreciate it.

Marko

Post by Marko »

David,

glad to have you on board. I really enjoyed both the cd and the dvd. To me In The Ghetto and Burning Love has never sounded better than on the dvd. Really beautiful work. My question concerns Return To Sender. That's the only track that I found to sound poor on both cd and dvd. If you have heard the version on The Great Performances cd years ago (which was done using Sonic Solution) it sounds a lot fuller than your version. I wonder why is that?
Last edited by Marko on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

David Bendeth

Re: Mastering.

Post by David Bendeth »

I am saying that those stereo versions were mastered, BUT for DVD..different compression and different eq. You have to be careful when doing a DVD, you cant do the same work as a CD. The DVD is pure, its still been worked on at Sterling but very lightly and more true to the master and the mixes we did. I have the CD of the mixes before they were mastered, when I listened to them at home they sounded very real and pure to me. The mastering process changes everything, sometimes it works sometimes it sucks. By the way I hate DSD, think its a joke, never comes back the same, gotta have the right D/A converters, always another headache.
My personal fave stiff is the surround In the Ghetto and Burning love from that period. I still think its some of the best work Ray and I did on the whole project.

thenexte wrote:
David Bendeth wrote:Most people like to hear music loud. For the record, we mixed it very quietly. Som songs suffered worse than others, I always listen to the stereo track on the DVD, its not loud, its the real deal.
Those were my exact thoughts when I first listened to the Dolby 2.0 stereo track on the E1 DVD-A, why the heck does it sound so much better than the E1 CD itself?! So are you saying the stereo track on the DVD-A contains the audio in the state after it was mixed and before it was mastered for CD at Sterling? Thanks for sharing your insights, really appreciate it.

David Bendeth

Return to Sender

Post by David Bendeth »

That was a fun three track mix, we got to bring up the backgrounds and balance the music. Really sorry you dont like that, That version I think is very strong. I have not heard the great performance Cd version. Sonic solution is just a digital program for mastering, no biggie, I would have to hear it to see why you think it sounds better. BUT, just for fun play the E1 vinyl version of Return...no interferance..it rocks, get a good stylus!!

Marko wrote:David,

glad to have you on board. I really enjoyed both the cd and the. To me In The Ghetto and Burning Love has never sounded better than on the dvd. Really beautiful work. My question concerns Return To Sender. That's the only track that I found to sound poor on both cd and dvd. If you have heard the version on The Great Performances cd years ago (which was done using Sonic Solution) it sounds a lot fuller than your version. I wonder why is that?