Best Concerts By Year On CD

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

tupelo_boy
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by tupelo_boy »

PiersEIN wrote:

Ahh yes, Event #8 would be excellent if FTD can get hold of better quality tapes. How nice to hear Elvis working hard & without the orchestra. A very nice addition.

Cheers
Piers
Piers

What would have improved the quality in your opinion? I agree that it's a little lacking in audience response, which feels a little weird for a record breaking crowd.

It sounds ok to these tired ears, or it may be my stereogram at fault. For a soundboard recording I think it's better than some of the '74/'75 FTDs.

Geoff

Ps - This is my 1000th post and it's good to able to make serious comment for the occasion - I will now take ColinB's advice :wink:

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

PiersEIN
Registered for: 21 years

Post by PiersEIN »

Geoff,
I didn't mean that Event #8 is bad, what I really meant that I was surprised by the improvement on 'At Full Blast' on the new Summer Festival FTD - where I had always accepted the old bootleg as being pretty good for a soundboard recording.

So, IF we can get an improved Event # 8 that would be a fabulous release.

Cheers
Piers

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

This would be my two cents (official vs. bootleg):

1969: Elvis at the International / Opening Night 1969
1970: TTWII SE / On the Road Again
1971: The Impossible Dream / The Power of Zhazam!
1972: An Afternoon in the Garden / The Greensboro Concert
1973: Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite / It’s a Matter of Time
1974: Recorded Live on Stage in Memphis / Hello, Memphis
1975: Big Boss Man / Just Pretend
1976: Rockin’ across Texas (CD 2) / Burning in Birmingham
1977: No official release yet / Adios

Ken

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Fun topic!

69: Elvis At The International.

70: That's The Way It Is Disc 2.

71: Power Of Zhazam (or whatever it's called nowadays!). Elvis sounds more energetic than earlier in the year, but I reckon 24/7/71 LT might top it (unless it's just hype with those shows - haven't heard them).

72: Opening Night 72. Decent treatment of oldies and some fine songs perfromed for the first time. I like 72 shows a lot!

73: Storm Over Portland disc 2. Much better performance than Aloha, mind you it's an AR. If it's gotta be a soundboard, try It's A Matter Of Time.

74: From Sunset Boulevard To Paradise Road Disc 2. There are better shows (try anything from the March tour - Event Number 8, Hello Memphis, Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind and Live On Stage In Memphis), but it's such an unusual setlist that I'd place Sunset over those.

75: Let Me Take You Home. Elvis back in Memphis, great sound, super listen! America's Own is fab as well.

76: New Years' Eve.

77: Elvis' Second Night. Surprisingly good concert! An AR with awesome atmosphere!

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

familyjules wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:1969: Here I Go Again
1970: TTWII SE - Disc II & All Shook Up (TIE)
All Shook Up is 1969, though.....

:P

Jules
CRAP!!!!!
I meant to write Polk Salad Annie... God, you guys don't miss a freakin' thing... GET A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!
:wink:

familyjules
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by familyjules »

elvis-fan wrote:CRAP!!!!!
I meant to write Polk Salad Annie... God, you guys don't miss a freakin' thing... GET A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!
:wink:
LMAO!!

Jules

R.R.Police

Post by R.R.Police »

1969: Opening Night
1970: 08-12 MS
1971: Lean, mean & kicking butt
1972: Hampton Roads
1973: High spirits in Las Vegas
1974: If you talk in your sleep
1975: The Dallas show.
1976: New Year's Eve
1977:

The Rock&Roll Police

Topic author
Trevell
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Trevell »

I really appreciate everyone's lists. This gives me some good ideas as to what to get next. One of my problems though is that I can appreciate a good, solid performance, but I also enjoy some of the more unique/bizarre shows. 1973's Closing Night for example...
So, maybe there should be 2 concerts per year. One for the solid performance and one for the weirdness.

Example:
Solid Performance--Aloha
Weird Performance--Closing Night

Flippy...Real Flippy...

Rob

Post by Rob »

Trevell wrote:maybe there should be 2 concerts per year. One for the solid performance and one for the weirdness.
There are many more to choose from than two per year. Each year from 1973 on, there are many solid shows. However, there are many not so solid as well. Here are some of the best versus the worst. These are strictly my opinion only.

1973 - Back Again In Portland / Closing Night (one of the worst)
1974 - Any of the March 1974 shows / College Park (September 28, 1974 the worst ever. Very embarrassing)
1975 - Sold Out In Dixie / Any Vegas show from August (there were only five.)
1976 - Anything from the March and December tours / El Goes El Paso
1977 - Adios / Send Me The Light (Baltimore May 29th)

Topic author
Trevell

Post by Trevell »

Rob wrote:
Trevell wrote:maybe there should be 2 concerts per year. One for the solid performance and one for the weirdness.
There are many more to choose from than two per year. Each year from 1973 on, there are many solid shows. However, there are many not so solid as well. Here are some of the best versus the worst. These are strictly my opinion only.

1973 - Back Again In Portland / Closing Night (one of the worst)
1974 - Any of the March 1974 shows / College Park (September 28, 1974 the worst ever. Very embarrassing)
1975 - Sold Out In Dixie / Any Vegas show from August (there were only five.)
1976 - Anything from the March and December tours / El Goes El Paso
1977 - Adios / Send Me The Light (Baltimore May 29th)
Man... Elvis didn't do so well in Maryland huh? It sucks cause that's where I grew up. :(

Besides Closing Night, I've only read about the other shows. I didn't think CN was all that bad though. It seemed like Elvis was just in a weird/silly mood. Shows a different side to him. He and the audience seemed to be having fun at least.

PiersEIN has a great review that I totally agree with in the Review section that prompted me to buy the CD.

Flippy...Real Flippy...

elvisjnr
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by elvisjnr »

Rob, the august 75 shows, any of them? have you seen the footage for the opening night? Elvis puts on one of my fave shows to watch! :D

we want Elvis! we want Elvis! we want Elvis on tour!

Rob

Post by Rob »

Yes, I have had footage from every August '75 Vegas show for years. They were very short and uninspiring shows and the least favorites of mine from anything in 1975.

However, 1975 was not a bad year for Elvis performances.

elvisjnr
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by elvisjnr »

agreed 8)

we want Elvis! we want Elvis! we want Elvis on tour!

dl
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dl »

I don't consider the August 1975 concerts as bad. Elvis was a little bit short of breath, but to me the shows sound very entertaining and well performed.

The same goes for EL GOES EL PASO. It isn't the best concert of that year, but it's still a nice performance. HAMPTON ROADS was really poor (because of Elvis' rotten voice on that evening).

Rob

Post by Rob »

Like I said, it's really all a matter of personal taste.

VOC

Post by VOC »

1969 - All Shook Up FTD
1970 - One Night In Vegas FTD
1971 - The Impossible Dream FTD
1972 - Afternoon In The Garden
1973 - Closing Night FTD
1974 - Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind
1975 - Let Me Take You Home
1976 - Burning In Birmingham
1977 - Moody Blue & Other Great Performances

- Whisky Woman, Don't You Know That You Are Driving Me Insane -

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Nice topic!

It’s easy to forget all the great shows we have, when so many sloppy, stoned performances have seen the light of day in recent years!

In fact, there are several years where I just can't decide. :?

Opening Night – solid, focused performance and the only complete one we have from the first season
Hampton Roads – probably the best, most varied On Tour concert – Elvis trying hard for the cameras
An Afternoon in The Garden – spirited, if slightly rushed, performance – great atmosphere and energy

Memphis show – Elvis in really great spirits, great voice, and having fun
Spanish Eyes – I've always really enjoyed this one – good solid performance that often gets overlooked
If You Talk In your Sleep – no explanation needed – Elvis trying hard to revamp his show with a new setlist

Profile 2/4 – poor sound, but committed show with Elvis still energized, and fresh from his latest recordings
Dallas show – some sloppiness, but Elvis in good spirits giving really entertaining performance
Just Pretend – represents probably the last series of committed performances before the strained ‘old man’ voice set in

Some other random thoughts...

For 1969, I really like the Live In Las Vegas show. For some reason it gets panned by all the sound purists, but it was the first full 69 concert I heard and it blew me away, so I have a soft spot for it. To these ears, it really rocks, Larry or no Larry!

For 1970, most agree that 12th August MS is difficult to beat – but then again, there’s something special about the rawness of the Jan/Feb engagement (as represented on Polk Salad Annie), that would never again return to Elvis’s live show.

The remaining years?
1971 - Impossible Dream (good overview of the season)
1973 - Aloha
1976 - Holding Back The Years
1977 - Moody Blue & other... / Spring Tours (no single standout concert)

Cheers

Johnny

familyjules
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by familyjules »

Couple of things I noticed from this thread....

1) Lots of people are voting for All Shook Up from '69, yet I didn't read to many rave reviews when it came out. Is this just beacuse it's difficult to be blown away by another '69 show when much of the set is over-familiar? I tend to feel that way, yet I agree that this is the finest single show of '69 I've heard thus far.

2) I see Closing Night cropping up here as the worst of 1973. Should I be thinking about moving it further down my "Elvis CDs to Buy" list, or even forgetting about it altogether?

Jules

Topic author
Trevell

Post by Trevell »

familyjules wrote:Couple of things I noticed from this thread....

1) Lots of people are voting for All Shook Up from '69, yet I didn't read to many rave reviews when it came out. Is this just beacuse it's difficult to be blown away by another '69 show when much of the set is over-familiar? I tend to feel that way, yet I agree that this is the finest single show of '69 I've heard thus far.
Damn! And I just ordered Live at the International based on all the votes it's gotten so far!
familyjules wrote: 2) I see Closing Night cropping up here as the worst of 1973. Should I be thinking about moving it further down my "Elvis CDs to Buy" list, or even forgetting about it altogether?
I enjoyed the show and I enjoy Elvis' silly/sometimes bizarre humor, but some people are really turned off by that. You need to read this review and decide for yourself:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12938

Flippy...Real Flippy...

Rob

Post by Rob »

Trevell wrote:I enjoyed the show and I enjoy Elvis' silly/sometimes bizarre humor, but some people are really turned off by that. You need to read this review and decide for yourself:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12938
Or better yet, buy the FTD and decide for yourself. I've listened to it twice since it was released and am glad I have it. However, I have no plans for future listenings.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Trevell wrote: Besides Closing Night, I've only read about the other shows. I didn't think CN was all that bad though. It seemed like Elvis was just in a weird/silly mood. Shows a different side to him. He and the audience seemed to be having fun at least.
It was unique in the sense that it was one of Elvis' poorest performances on record.
Almost, but not quite as embarrassing as the following year's closing show in Vegas.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

familyjules wrote:
2) I see Closing Night cropping up here as the worst of 1973. Should I be thinking about moving it further down my "Elvis CDs to Buy" list, or even forgetting about it altogether?

Jules
Yeah, unless you collect them all it's not essential. Weird, man!

A very unprofessional show..I did quite a detailed review of it when it came out that I could send you if you like.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Topic author
Trevell

Post by Trevell »

londonflash wrote:
familyjules wrote:

Jules
Yeah, unless you collect them all it's not essential. Weird, man!

A very unprofessional show..I did quite a detailed review of it when it came out that I could send you if you like.
Awww come on now! The part in the show where Elvis forgets the words to Bridge and the band, along with the whole audience sing it for him and then he says "look at this, the Ted Mack Amature Hour!" Then he takes over the last verse to show who's really in charge. Classic!

Flippy...Real Flippy...

Topic author
Trevell

Post by Trevell »

Getting things back on track here...

I've added up all the votes and this is what we have so far:

1969--At The International (7 votes)
1970--That's The Way It Is Special Edition (Disc 2) (11 votes)
1971--The Impossible Dream (5 votes)
1972--An afternoon In The Garden (6 votes)
1973--Aloha From Hawaii Via Satalite (6 votes)
1974--Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (FTD) (8 votes)
1975--America´s Own - Vol 2 - July 19th, 1975 - Evening Show (5 votes)
1976--Burning In Birmingham (5 votes)
1977--Adios, The Final Performance - June 26th, 1977 (5 votes)

Flippy...Real Flippy...

Kristian Hjelmaas
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Kristian Hjelmaas »

I share Johnny's view, that it's almost impossible to choose just one show/ cd for each year, but I'll give it a try...

1969: Elvis At The International
1970: That's The Way It Is - Disc II (My favorite Elvis show - ever! It can hardly get any better than this!)
1971: Lean, Mean And Kickin' Butt
1972: The Hampton Roads Concert
1973: Aloha From Hawaii
1974: From Sunset Blvd To Paradise Rd - Disc II
1975: Let Me Take You Home
1976: Burning In Birmingham
1977: Moody Blue & Other Great Performances

Tomorrow I'll probably end up with a different list... :wink:

Br
Kristian