Did P & P conspire against Elvis?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

TJ

Post by TJ »

I wouldn't give up hope Melanie. Elvis by the Presleys was never meant to be the kind of documentary that Daryl describes. It was a show that explored the personal side of Elvis from a family perspective and succeeded well I think - particularly the excellent use of home movie footage. I would think that the anthology project will feature a far wider range of people and focus more on the career. That's assuming the project gets off the ground of course. In the meantime, DVDs like the Ultimate Elvis vol 1 and 2 are worth picking up. I think they were released as the Definitive Elvis outside the UK.

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Yes EBTP was supposed to show the family side, I am not knocking it. And Priscilla might not have mentioned her lovers and other negative stories (i.e. attempted rape), because she didn't want to ruin the mostly uplifting spirit. The home movie footage was indeed excellent and of stunning quality. So should the Anthology project heavily focus on family again?

Both volumes of "Elvis-The Definitive Collection" are part of my collection.
I am really digging the tins they are packaged in.

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006

Post by Silver »

TJ,
You are entirely correct about DaVinci. I am really sorry that I did not go to my source before including his name. His name was in a chart in an article I was reading about bipolars and mental disorders. It seems that DaVinci was dyslexic, which is FAR from being bipolar. My great mistake! Very sorry about that!
Here are some actual lists (which actually prove not much):

http://www.actualizations.com/bipolarpeople.htm

http://bipolar.about.com/od/celebrities/a/celebrities_ab.htm

http://www.bipolarinsights.com/famous.htm

sue

P.S. I will let this subject go, because although I do feel I know E and his coat of many moods, not everyone does. I can cite incident for incident, things my hubby went through (shooting ceilings, not TVs; constantly having serial significant others (always at the time I met him) and he's not famous either, an ordinary citizen; spending on whims a LOT and he's not rich either; temper and irritable moods when they really weren't appropriate; etc.) Okay, okay, I really am letting this go!!! Besides, after reading this, I have the logic turned backwards. Peace.... :) :) :wink:

You'll never, never know the one who loves you so. . .

R.I.P. 2-10-2006
In Memory Of A True Friend To All

The FECC Team

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I agree with silver. Ok Elvis is #1 but not the only rock/pop or well known celebrity that has had the fan issue so that is no excuse for (us fans) to dismiss his self destructive behavior with that reasoning. The 60s and 70s had its wild times but NEVER like with the original fans in 1950s. Elvis liked to think he was ALWAYS going to get mobbed and that was not the case, but probably an excuse to retreat or not socialize. Too bad therapy was not IN then.

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006

Post by Silver »

JLGB,
I guess this should have been a pm, so I am substituting here. Well, I'm not substituting much!!
sue
Last edited by Silver on Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R.I.P. 2-10-2006

The FECC Team

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006

Post by Silver »

I said I would not say anymore about this, but I cannot resist this: Priscilla could have married the father of her son and STILL kept the Presley name! Why didn't she at least do that for her son?

Also, (gosh an also, too), why did she name her daughter after herself - look at the letters and sounds of Cilla and Lisa - and the colonel's wife - Marie? Sounds a bit like a pack with the devil to me!! (Luuk - no, the colonel's not an actual devil; yes, he did help Elvis' career! The colonel probably did more for E than he gets credit for; but he also did him harm, by pushing too hard.)

R.I.P. 2-10-2006

The FECC Team

Topic author
Luuk

Post by Luuk »

silver wrote:I said I would not say anymore about this, but I cannot resist this: Priscilla could have married the father of her son and STILL kept the Presley name! Why didn't she at least do that for her son?

Also, (gosh an also, too), why did she name her daughter after herself - look at the letters and sounds of Cilla and Lisa - and the colonel's wife - Marie? Sounds a bit like a pack with the devil to me!! (Luuk - no, the colonel's not an actual devil; yes, he did help Elvis' career! The colonel probably did more for E than he gets credit for; but he also did him harm, by pushing too hard.)
The people that were pushing too hard were the leeches around Elvis. THEY could have gotten real jobs. Elvis then would not have to pay all those people, not pay for their houses, not pay for their cars, not pay for their pills.
Ar least one of the guys went cold turkey because he no longer got all that money from Elvis after (circa) March.April 1976!
Elvis should have kicked out ALL the guys. Would have saved him more than the extra 25% The Colonel took. And I am not only talking about finances but also about the anger these guys caused to Elvis by their manhandling fans and the lawsuits that followed.

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006

Post by Silver »

Luuk,
Yes, the guys didn't do E that much good either. As a matter of fact, not too many people helped Elvis as he should have been. They certainly did not help him by ignoring his troubles and they did cause more trouble. I think his cousin Billy was the one that had his best interests at heart. I agree with you in most part. I do think that the colonel could have helped him more, especially by not conspiring with Priscilla, which I really do think he did!! And, he did push Elvis too hard - yes, the guys did, too.

sue

R.I.P. 2-10-2006

The FECC Team

Topic author
Luuk

Post by Luuk »

silver wrote:Luuk,
Yes, the guys didn't do E that much good either. As a matter of fact, not too many people helped Elvis as he should have been. They certainly did not help him by ignoring his troubles and they did cause more trouble. I think his cousin Billy was the one that had his best interests at heart. I agree with you in most part. I do think that the colonel could have helped him more, especially by not conspiring with Priscilla, which I really do think he did!! And, he did push Elvis too hard - yes, the guys did, too.

sue
How did The Colonel push Elvis too hard? Please explain.
Was Elvis a puppet on a string? I doubt it!
When Elvis had a very underage girl up in his room, Jerry Lee Lewis' career went down the drain because it was found out his "wife" was about the same age as Priscilla up in Elvis' room! The Colonel saved Elvis' career!
And according to the law it did not matter if "anything" happened, it was just illegal for an adult male to have an underaged girl up in your room!
Chuck Berry got arrested and went to jail because his travelling companion was a 20 years old female, thus underage in terms of the law.

Now if you gonna tell me how The Colonel did push Elvis too hard, I will copy the times Elvis worked. At the best that was 6 months a year after The Colonel took over management. And the fee went up from $50 for an appearance for Elvis, Scotty and Bill plus travelling expense to the next city to a substantial higher amount. Substantial higher amount!

jurasic1968

Re: Did P & P conspire against Elvis?

Post by jurasic1968 »

Luuk, I am sorry but the Colonel overworked Elvis. Let's count only the number of concerts from 1973 and 1976. Regarding the money-only the buyout catalogue in 1973's deal it's enough for me-when Tom won more money than Elvis. And don't forget the special deals. No other manager won more money (in percent) than the Colonel. No other manager was more dictatorial with his client (If we doin' your way we don't make money; if we doin' my way we'll make money).