Favourite Christmas Songs

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
familyjules
Registered for: 19 years

Post by familyjules »

TJ wrote:If handing out to non/casual fans I'd lose I'll Be Home On Christmas Day, If I Get Home On Christmas Day and The First Noel. The vocals just don't cut it.
No way would I lose I'll be Home... or If I Get Home... - those are two of my absolute favourite Elvis Christmas songs. Though I would go with the bluesier version of I'll Be Home...

Jules

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I like IF I GET HOME... I find Elvis' voice there ok .
Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

familyjules wrote:
TJ wrote:If handing out to non/casual fans I'd lose I'll Be Home On Christmas Day, If I Get Home On Christmas Day and The First Noel. The vocals just don't cut it.
No way would I lose I'll be Home... or If I Get Home... - those are two of my absolute favourite Elvis Christmas songs. Though I would go with the bluesier version of I'll Be Home...

Jules
We agree again, Jules! I know what TJ means about his voice on "The First Noel," but for the bluesier tracks, a vocal strain is actually a good thing and conveys the "real-life" feel of these tracks.

I have misgivings also about going the CD-R route with fans and co-workers. Part of me prefers to either give out the real CDs (pricey, I know) or let them find Elvis themselves.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Gregory Nolan Jr.

It seems very few go for the rather straightforward
"White Christmas" CD , in spite of being more recent and sans alternates.

Yes, I know "If Everyday" has some better alternates on it, but still...

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Elvis' Babe
Registered for: 20 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

why do people keep bitching about the first noel? i think it's one of the best vocals on his christmas music in the whole bunch. i love it. :roll:

i like oh little town of bethlehem, the first noel, silent night, santa claus is back in town, merry christmas baby, etc...

i like them all really.

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I like Elvis' version of The First Noel. I wish he had gotten around to doing a Christmas album of just traditional songs leaning toward the religious.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Elvis' Babe wrote:why do people keep bitching about the first noel? i think it's one of the best vocals on his christmas music in the whole bunch.
i like them all really.
I think that about sums it up for me too. I've never bitched about it. You cannot change the past. Just enjoy it for what it is.....Elvis and Christmas.

There are no two things better!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:It seems very few go for the rather straightforward
"White Christmas" CD , in spite of being more recent and sans alternates.

Yes, I know "If Everyday" has some better alternates on it, but still...
hey Greg, I gotta admit, isn't the artwork for WHITE CHRISTMAS beautiful :?:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Mink, that may be part of it! While I like "If Everyday Was Just Like Christmas" as a collection, possibly even prefering it, that cover shot is darker , while WC really shines lin "living color."

And I did grow up on these original versions, so that gives it a nod.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Pete Dube wrote:If Every Day Was Like Christmas remains the definitive Elvis Yuletide cd. They should've kept this fine compilation as THE Christmas set. They could've released the Camden album and the Wonderful World of Christmas album individually as budget priced seasonal 'impulse' purchases.
Why is this so, Pete? I know what some mean about the alternates, but still. I lot of us have the original versions burned into our memories.

"White Christmas" (at least I've thought) was most faithful in this regard.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

My favorites are: Santa Claus Is Back In Town; Here Comes Santa Claus; Blue Christmas; Silent Night; Santa Bring My Baby Back To Me; If Every Day Was Like Christmas; I'll Be Home On Christmas Day; Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees; Merry Christmas Baby; The Wonderful World of Christmas; On a Snowy Winter's Night; Silver Bells; O Come All Ye Faithful.

I wish Elvis had recorded: O Holy Night; What Child Is This; Do You Know What I Know; Please Come Home For Christmas.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Greg: I agree that White Christmas is the most faithful to the concept of the two original Christmas albums and that's why I bought it originally.
Imagine my shocked surprise when Silent Night didn't have the piano intro. Ruined the whole thing for me.

I have nothing against the version with the greeting w/o the piano(that worked well elsewhere). It's just that I thought the concept of White Christmas was to release the albums in their original form. I guess I was wrong.

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

It has to be the original 1957 Elvis' Christmas Album for us as a family. It's a tradition............ crackling scratches and all, on the vinyl version :lol:

http://snow.prohosting.com/droogy59/robs.txt

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

MauriceinIreland: There is something nostalgic about playing the old vinyl with it's
pops, scratches and all. Always takes me back to the "good old days".

Merry Christmas.

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

JerryNodak, many thanks. Happy Christmas to you and yours.

Yes picking up the vinyl sleeve, caressing it, extracting the disc, placing it carefully on the turntable then lowering the stylus into the groove is kinda erotic for a disc containing Gospel songs :lol:

Gregory Nolan Jr.

I don't know about erotic :oops: :lol: , but there is something about playing the exact versions I heard with my family years ago, which for me is a Camden and an RCA version of "The Wonderful World of..."

Every click and each groove is one "traveled trough" years before.

In reality, mine remain in fine condition and I can't say there's anything unplayable about them.

Jerry, I'd forgotten about that one song.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

My favorite is I'll Be Home for Christmas.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

pacer wrote:MauriceinIreland wrote:
caressing it, extracting the disc, placing it carefully on the turntable then lowering the stylus into the groove is kinda erotic

.... Maurice ya gotta get out more :wink:
Maurice, pacer might have a point. :P

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Joe Car wrote:My favorite is I'll Be Home for Christmas.
Great song and even greater if you can relate to it.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

This is another reason why I can't fathom why folks get tied up in knots over Elvis' "bad" '71 voice on this session. Most of us aren't "perfect" at Christmas - but there's a "realness" and honesty to these sides and even the carols.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Greg: We agree!! I wish I was blessed with such a "bad" voice.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Yes, we agree again.

:shock:

In many ways, the '71 set is much more listenable and contempory in '05
if you ask me.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality