Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Graceland Gardener

What Col. Parker did....right.

Post by Graceland Gardener »

What Col. Parker did....right.

this will obviously be a short list. :)

but I think one smart thing Parker did:

- getting Elvis a Non-Exclusive contract with Wallis/Paramount Pictures.
This allowed Elvis to work for OTHER STUDIOS

and that's how Elvis was able to do "Love Me Tender" (20th Century-Fox) and "Jailhouse Rock" (MGM)

And if Elvis was exclusive to Paramount, he probably would't have done a film in 1956, because Paramount wasn't prepared with a script for him (except maybe that small part in The Rainmaker)

-----
any other examples of Elvis' mgmt doing something right?
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kristian Hjelmaas

Post by Kristian Hjelmaas »

The Colonel got Elvis his early TV appearance contract on The Dorsey Brothers Stage Show, right..?

Br
Kristian

Topic author
Graceland Gardener

Kristian,
yeh, thru Col. Parker AND a William Morris Agency rep.

that was a good thing (not from the Hayride's pov) but for Elvis & band, those Saturday night Dorsey Bros gigs were an important starting point on honing their televised performances, and expanding their sound (especially with a backing orchestra as a later Dorsey date had)

Kristian Hjelmaas

When listening to these Dorsey Brothers Stage Show recordings on the A Golden Celebration box-set, at the end of each show, it's always announced something like (not quoted correctly, only from memory):

"Due to these wonderful performances and the audience reaction I guess we'll bring him (Elvis) on next week as well, don't you think..?"
And the audience of course responded to that...

Now, my point here:

Did the Colonel and the William Morris Agency sign a certain number of Dorsey shows Elvis should appear on, or did they re-agotiate 1 show at the time?

They couldn't know that Elvis would be the smash hit he became after appearing in these TV shows, and the Dorsey Brothers naturally would not have let Elvis appear on show after show if he had bummed during his first one..?

Br
Kristian

Topic author
Graceland Gardener

at the start there was a guarantee of 1 show, with option for 5 more.

(meaning: 1 time for sure, but the others: maybe / maybe not)

Feb. 2, - Stage Show exercises option for 2 more shows, guaranteeing 3 episodes at that point.

he done 6 episodes of course because of enthusiastic studio audience reaction, his likeable personality, and the rising chart position of HHotel, and the rumor of Elvis getting a Hollywood screentest soon.

Dorsey Bros played it safe at first naturally but quickly knew they had a star! for a guest star and made sure they got all the shows with him they could.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Renan

Post by Renan »

I think he was very good managing Elvis career but that ´s the case in the 50´s.
After this he deserved a foot in his a$$

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

dl

Post by dl »

The colonel must have done something right, because Elvis is the best selling artist on this planet. His only fault was, that he was even better in filling his own pockets and to let Elvis pay for it. If the king had been a little more clever he could have asked other people for advice to see if they had better ideas. But he always did what the colonel told him (at least to a great degree) and he had his father do his financial management. He couldn't have hired a guy with lesser knowlege. The colonel was good, but it had been better if he had been under control. To me it almost seems as if Parker had been the boss of Elvis. But still he did a lot to promote the king. The only problem was, that Elvis could have made a lot more profits on his fame than he did.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Well, The Colonel did just about everything right. He was the coolest and most fascinating manager ever.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Kristian Hjelmaas

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Well, The Colonel did just about everything right. He was the coolest and most fascinating manager ever.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Keith, I know alcohol is cheaper in Sweden compared to Norway, but isn't it a little too early to start drinkin'..? :wink: :lol:

Then again, it's 5 o'clock somewhere... :lol:

Br
Kristian

dl

Post by dl »

[quote="Kristian Hjelmaas"][quote="Keith Richards, Jr."]Well, The Colonel did just about everything right. He was the coolest and most fascinating manager ever.

Keith Richards, Jr.[/quote]

[b][i]Keith[/i][/b], I know alcohol is cheaper in Sweden compared to Norway, but isn't it a little [i]too early [/i]to start drinkin'..? :wink: :lol:

Then again, [i]it's 5 o'clock somewhere[/i]... :lol:

Br
Kristian[/quote]

C'mon, the colonel wasn't that bad. I guess his personality was far more interesting than his client's was...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I'm perfectly sober, Kristian! I have never believed this bullshit about Parker ruining EP's career and so forth, and I became even more convinced when I read "The Colonel" by Alanna Nash this summer. The biggest problem was that Elvis didn't take more control over his music.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

He was an excellent promoter and salesman. Whenever you see bonus songs on any release (bootleg or legit) thank Colonel Parker. Whenever "new" songs are discovered and instead of putting them on a single release, but are stretched out on various releases with filler material, thank Colonel Parker. Whenever you feel that you do not have enough of this or that in the Elvis world. Thank again Colonel Parker! If you bought Hitstory and the greatest hits of any import label. Thats right. Thank you Colonel Parker ! :lol:

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Re: What Col. Parker did....right.

Post by Spellbinder »

Graceland Gardener wrote:What Col. Parker did....right.

this will obviously be a short list. :)

but I think one smart thing Parker did:

- getting Elvis a Non-Exclusive contract with Wallis/Paramount Pictures.
This allowed Elvis to work for OTHER STUDIOS

and that's how Elvis was able to do "Love Me Tender" (20th Century-Fox) and "Jailhouse Rock" (MGM)

And if Elvis was exclusive to Paramount, he probably would't have done a film in 1956, because Paramount wasn't prepared with a script for him (except maybe that small part in The Rainmaker)

-----
any other examples of Elvis' mgmt doing something right?

The part Elvis tested for in "The Rainmaker" was not a small part - although it may depend on one's definition.

Have you seen the movie?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

It is probably good with Burt Lancaster in it.

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

There were dozen of singing stars in the Fifties, many of whom may have had as much raw talent as Elvis. Most of them had brief careers and have been virtually forgotten now. It is partially true that none of the others had the same kind of gut appeal in their music that Elvis had. But it is also true that none of them had Parker working for them with the determination that they be not just a singing star / a flash-in-the-pan as so many thought he would be, but a mysterious legend.

Post by 3577 »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I'm perfectly sober, Kristian! I have never believed this bullshit about Parker ruining EP's career and so forth, and I became even more convinced when I read "The Colonel" by Alanna Nash this summer. The biggest problem was that Elvis didn't take more control over his music.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Just because youve read the book, you should realize more that Parker was at least for 75% Elvis'problem. Of course E is to blame also.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

You forgot a few more points

- being an illegal resident to the US and preventing Elvis from playing anywhere else

- making him do movie after movie to favour his gambling debts

- not letting him go on tour until after three years of vegas shows 24/7

- preventing him from doing "a star is born" 1975 and turn Elvis further down

- selling "super souvenirs" with always the same speaker with his legacy hunter voice

Feel free to continue this list :cry:

Topic author
Luuk

Post by Luuk »

Thomas wrote:You forgot a few more points

- being an illegal resident to the US and preventing Elvis from playing anywhere else

- making him do movie after movie to favour his gambling debts

- not letting him go on tour until after three years of vegas shows 24/7

- preventing him from doing "a star is born" 1975 and turn Elvis further down

- selling "super souvenirs" with always the same speaker with his legacy hunter voice

Feel free to continue this list :cry:
And what talent did you make a worldwide star?

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Thomas wrote:selling "super souvenirs" with always the same speaker with his legacy hunter voice
You must be forgetting that he sold souvenirs in the form of photos, okay maybe those were not "super" :wink: , but that started before he met Elvis. And since old habits die hard... Anyway here is the little story for the amusement of all users.

-----------

In the early days, it is said, when Parker was booking country singers across the South, he put them on "round robin style." This meant they were booked into two diffrent towns for the same night, often as much as a hundred miles apart. The first act would finish in one town and then drive like crazy to get to the next town to start the act. And all the other acts would do the same thing. Thus Parker's musicians got double the money. An intermission was scheduled which provided a break in case there was a flat tire or other emergency. Parker used that intermission to sell 8x10 glossy photos of the performers. Later, he send a small boy into the hall to pick up souvenir programs which people had left behind so they could be sold in the next town. Nothing was wasted. Every possible opportunity was taken to get an extra nickel or so out of the paying customers.

and

He used to shock Hollywood men by doing things like appearing in the lobby of a theater where an Elvis movie was showing and selling photographs or other Elvis souveniers. The shocking thing was that he often did this himself rather than hiring some lackey to do it.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

And what talent did you make a worldwide star?
Not a single one, I'm afraid. If however I was in a foreign country and I would TRY to manage a talent, I would be very pleased to find a humble young man that pretty much manages himself ...

ryan97

colonel

Post by ryan97 »

although he did live up to making the millions for elvis with elvis talent
he was a greedy bogus colonel, motivated not by elvis appeal or he would of come to europe, but by cash,
yes he did some good things we have to give him credit for, but what about the bad deals [cbs], the tampering with the songs , the hypnosis factor, the clothes he wore to the funeral
yes give him credit , but surely elvis would of wised up to him and probably did at the end but theres so much any one can stand playing vegas over and over where is the artistic challenge there execpt cash cash cash and more than elvis was getting
i personally feel that by 1974 there should have been a change at the topbut its easier saying so than doing so ill leave it to others to make there minds up on the bogus colonel tom

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing:

He was NOT a Colonel.

Topic author
Luuk

Re: colonel

Post by Luuk »

ryan97 wrote:although he did live up to making the millions for elvis with elvis talent
he was a greedy bogus colonel, motivated not by elvis appeal or he would of come to europe, but by cash,
yes he did some good things we have to give him credit for, but what about the bad deals [cbs], the tampering with the songs , the hypnosis factor, the clothes he wore to the funeralyes give him credit , but surely elvis would of wised up to him and probably did at the end but theres so much any one can stand playing vegas over and over where is the artistic challenge there execpt cash cash cash and more than elvis was getting
i personally feel that by 1974 there should have been a change at the topbut its easier saying so than doing so ill leave it to others to make there minds up on the bogus colonel tom
At least he was at the funeral, unlike some of the leeches eh sorry... "friends".

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Elvis almost fired him in 1974. But a few days later he presented Vernon with a bill and Elvis realized he couldn't go through with his plan. I read that Elvis had been thinking about maybe been managed by Weinstein, is that true?

We often have been discussing a possible world tour, but it always comes down to that it never happened. There are a couple of theories: One has Parker preventing tours, because he knew he didn't have a US passport (or did he? did anyone ever check?) and couldn't enter another country.
Others have Elvis being at fault. It is probably a combination. :?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Linda Thompson dressed the way she thought Elvis would have wanted. Elvis with his sense of humor would have laughed seeing the Colonel. In spite of everything I believe they had deep (good) feelings for each other even if they did not express it.