What Col. Parker did....right.

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Thomas wrote:He was NOT a Colonel.
Blame that on the then Governor of Tennessee? Or was it another state?
I guess it all came down to people believing, that he really served and probably were impressed by his rank.

Topic author
Luuk

Post by Luuk »

Melanie wrote:Elvis almost fired him in 1974. But a few days later he presented Vernon with a bill and Elvis realized he couldn't go through with his plan. I read that Elvis had been thinking about maybe been managed by Weinstein, is that true?

We often have been discussing a possible world tour, but it always comes down to that it never happened. There are a couple of theories: One has Parker preventing tours, because he knew he didn't have a US passport (or did he? did anyone ever check?) and couldn't enter another country.
Others have Elvis being at fault. It is probably a combination. :?
Wasn't Parker with Elvis in Canada in 1957? If so, he must have had a passport or something.

As for the world tour, the situation in 1974 was quite different to the situation now with special stadiums for pop concerts like Feijenoord stadium in Rotterdam and Amsterdam Arena.

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Luuk wrote:Wasn't Parker with Elvis in Canada in 1957? If so, he must have had a passport or something.
Now you mention it. Could it be that the authorities at the border / airport didn't bother to check? I have always been wondering if the FBI knew about his past, because they kept tabs on Elvis and the mafia in Vegas, who Parker was involved with.
Luuk wrote:As for the world tour, the situation in 1974 was quite different to the situation now with special stadiums for pop concerts like Feijenoord stadium in Rotterdam and Amsterdam Arena.
Yeah I see your point. But that didn't keep other acts from touring the world. I guess we will never know, only that great offers were made. London for example or a concert at the Pyramids.

---------

re: What clothes to wear to a funeral really depends on where you are from. Some groups wear all white, some celebrate (see: New Orleans). I think it is not that terrible that he appeared in a Hawaii shirt, but the comments he allegedly made are disgusting. As has been pointed out Linda Thompson didn't wear black either, because according to her Elvis didn't want people to wear black. And what about all the fans, who walked by the coffin? They surely didn't wear all black either, so in my opinion you gotta make a point somewhere.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Back in those day especially, there was no problem crossing border. Even currency was mixed on both sides of border. Maybe some Canadian fans can vouch for this. The Colonel was an honorary title which does not mean a thing in military terms. It was not legal , so it was more of a nickname he used for himself which caught on. Elvis was an honorary Colonel (cant remember state) and of course he was not a king either.

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

I know that he was a honorary title. My point was questioning how many people really knew this? Did he always mention it? And could it be that he used the title to his advantage, because his opposites were impressed by it, given that they didn't have a clue that it was honorary and thought he really served, possibly in a war? Or was honorary just as impressive?

Topic author
Graceland Gardener

Post by Graceland Gardener »

hey, Elvis & Colonel and entourage snuck into Canada on that one '57 tour. They did not arrive on the train although a big formal reception waited for them at the station.

They hopped off the train and came thru in a car. were already there unnanounced!

There's a recorded press conference where that's discussed.

why sneak into town? Well, to avoid a mob of fans perhaps. But Parker's illegal alien status perhaps.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

:smt039
Last edited by Juan Luis on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Well now we are getting down to the facts. Thanks for providing them GG. Can I call you that? Very interesting indeed.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Today it is certainly different but in 1957 it was no big deal crossing over to Canada. So I do not believe that the sneaking in had to do with the Colonels status in the U.S.

Post by 3577 »

Luuk wrote:
Melanie wrote:Elvis almost fired him in 1974. But a few days later he presented Vernon with a bill and Elvis realized he couldn't go through with his plan. I read that Elvis had been thinking about maybe been managed by Weinstein, is that true?

We often have been discussing a possible world tour, but it always comes down to that it never happened. There are a couple of theories: One has Parker preventing tours, because he knew he didn't have a US passport (or did he? did anyone ever check?) and couldn't enter another country.
Wasn't Parker with Elvis in Canada in 1957? If so, he must have had a passport or something.

As for the world tour, the situation in 1974 was quite different to the situation now with special stadiums for pop concerts like Feijenoord stadium in Rotterdam and Amsterdam Arena.
Not exactly. During the seventies, the Feijenoord Stadium was used for a concert. Artitst like Bowie , The Stones, etc. were on world tour very often. Not a different situation like now.

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

Parker did some things right especially in the beginning. He got Elvis signed to a major record label. That particular move I believe though would have been done by any competent manager. The little bidding war he got going though was enough to guarantee his first Victor release some amount of airplay. He was also smart enough to know (and to me this was his biggest achievement) that television was the way to break a major new artist in the 1950s and that Elvis especially would have a great appeal on television. The first deal with RCA was also good although flawed. The royalty rate was solid for the time (exceptional on albums) but that was somewhat negated by the lack of an audit provision in the contract. More importantly he kept RCA at least out of Elvis' way in the studio. That particular nugget though was somewhat negated by his own indavertent interference with the publishing deal and occasionally (If Elvis' ears are to be believed) in the mixing process. The publishing deal though at least made great financial sense. The money from artist royalties is peanuts which I was always believed Elvis and the Colonely were entitled to a bigger slice of the pie.

Carny huckster that he was, he was also savvy enough to recognize the value of a merchandising deal. Although, this one again you have to mitigate the credit as there was little financial risk to the Presley organization and a great financial gain. Finally, rationing Elvis' public appearances was a good move in that it gave him a little more mystique than other artists. Although, as we have since found out overexposure most definitely does not kill an artists' career. Ask Madonna or Eminem.

Virtually everything else he did was either wrong or succeeded solely through Elvis' genius and or dumb luck.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

But Parker's illegal alien status perhaps
Back in the 70's somewhere, Frank Sinatra was busted at an airport because he had little amounts of an illegal substance with him (don't ask me what it was, possibly something as endangering as pipe tobacoo).

Now imagine Elvis, full of booze and drugs, and Parker, with his cigar and no passport, trying to cross the american border in eg Chicago O'Hare with a bunch of musicians on their coat-tails.

Ever thought why the TV Special came from Hawaii?
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

Elvis would not have encountered any problem with his drugs as they were all prescription drugs.

samses

Post by samses »

I agree that Parker did a good job in -55 and -56. I think he was good for Elvis through thye fifties. I even think that AT THAT TIME he was a state of the art manager breaking into merchandise and realising the importance of TV.

I even think that it was clever from a career point of view to have Elvis in the Army. But when Elvis got back from Germany, Parker was getting out of date. The music industry exploded in the early sixties and Parker could never understand that. Neither had he any respect for Elvis' acting ambitions or his ambitions as a singer. They publicity deal worked fine in the fifties but was a disaster in the sixities. Elvis' publishing companies hardly ever delivered anything good and the colonel couldn't have cared less as long as they made a buck.

From my point of view Elvis best work in the sixties (and mybe ever) was done when the Colonel could not control the situation. The Comeback Special and The Memphis 69 sessions were made with minimal influence from the Colonel and they are some of Elvis' finest work. Thanks to S.Binder and C.Moman who were smart and strong enough to challenge or bypass the Colonel.

In the -70's, the Colonel was ready for some R&R museum - he was an old carny man who could no longer make any good decisions for his artist. The Vegas deal was to the 70's what the movie contracts wason earth did he put up Elvis Presley on a rodeo with a (deleted - see guideline #2) sound system and no orchestra?

Finally, the passport really limited Elvis in the 70's. Maybe he would not have straightened out just because he could tour the world, but it is a shame that the worlds greatest artist never toured outside his country (with the exception of a few concerts in Canada). Imagine the crowds Elvis would have gathered in Europe and Japan. There were concert venues waiting for him and more money than he made at home. Most likely, the Colonel stopped this for his immigration problem. Really sad - because they probably did not need the Colonel in order to tour the world. He could have stayed home - the roadshow worked perfectly well without him. He was an advance man without any real duties by 1974.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Elvis wanted to tour outside the U.S. But by 75 onwards he did not complain as much because he knew he would have to get in shape etc. and it does not seem to me he would be up for such a challenge. Just one more theory up in the air.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I imagine he would have been in perfect shape for "A Star Is Born".

Topic author
Graceland Gardener

Thomas wrote:I imagine he would have been in perfect shape for "A Star Is Born".
errr, the role he was offered was an out of shape, depressed, alcoholic has-been.

:roll:

Topic author
Luuk

Post by Luuk »

Graceland Gardener wrote:hey, Elvis & Colonel and entourage snuck into Canada on that one '57 tour. They did not arrive on the train although a big formal reception waited for them at the station.

They hopped off the train and came thru in a car. were already there unnanounced!

why sneak into town? Well, to avoid a mob of fans perhaps. But Parker's illegal alien status perhaps.
April 2, 1957: Elvis did afternoon & evening shows in Toronto (Canada). Following the shows Elvis took the train to Ottawa (Canada).
April 3, 1957: Elvis did an afternoon & evening show in Ottawa (Canada).
30 policemen were hired to protect Elvis.
No report of how Elvis (and The Colonel?) got into and out of Canada.

August 30, 1957 Elvis performed at Spokane.
Folowing the show, Elvis and his entourage took the Great Northtern train to Vancouver, Canada. Arriving in Vancouver, Elvis took a car to the Georgia Hotel.
August 31, 1957 there was a late afternoon press onference.
During the evening performance a crowd of teenagers broke through a police barricade. Elvis ended his performance mid-song. After he was finally able to leave the Empire Stadium in safety, he returned to his hotel to spend the night.

As for Elvis performing in Europe, yes, other artists did that. Remember the riots when Bill Haley performed? The Rolling Stones? The safety problems with The Beatles after they got famous? The problems with their stay in Amsterdam?
Then can you imagine what an Elvis concert would have ended like?

Elvis' Babe
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

Thomas wrote:
Now imagine Elvis, full of booze and drugs, and Parker, with his cigar and no passport, trying to cross the american border in eg Chicago O'Hare with a bunch of musicians on their coat-tails.
elvis wouldn't have booze on him. he rarely ever drank. and as mentioned before--prescription drugs are passed through...they are indeed different than street drugs, as in one is legal and one is illegal, regardless of similar chemical attributes.

and yes--i have seen pictures of the guy that got the role in a star is born...imo, elvis looked healthier in '77 than that guy. scruffy and overweight to say the best.

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

Eileen

Post by Eileen »

Elvis' Babe wrote:and yes--i have seen pictures of the guy that got the role in a star is born...imo, elvis looked healthier in '77 than that guy. scruffy and overweight to say the best.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Elvis' Babe wrote:i have seen pictures of the guy that got the role in a star is born...imo, elvis looked healthier in '77 than that guy. scruffy and overweight to say the best.
"That Guy" was Kris Kristofferson. Elvis was in no way, shape or form as fit or healthy as he was when this movie was made. Kris has never been overweight a day in his life.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Rob wrote:
Elvis' Babe wrote:i have seen pictures of the guy that got the role in a star is born...imo, elvis looked healthier in '77 than that guy. scruffy and overweight to say the best.
"That Guy" was Kris Kristofferson. Elvis was in no way, shape or form as fit or healthy as he was when this movie was made. Kris has never been overweight a day in his life.
I dare say, had he accepted the role in ASIB, in two months he would have been in great shape. Who knows where his life would have turned after that role? The Colonel also blew an opportunity to use this movie as a motivational tool for Elvis.

Renan

Post by Renan »

3577 wrote:
Luuk wrote:

Not exactly. During the seventies, the Feijenoord Stadium was used for a concert. Artitst like Bowie , The Stones, etc. were on world tour very often. Not a different situation like now.
This wasn´t the problem but in 1974 someone tried to reach Colonel and bring Elvis to play here in Brazil in Rio de Janeiro....he would have played in Maracana for 200.000 or in Morumbi for 150.000 people (Queen did 3 concerts in Morumbi :D ) at the time but no deal was made. Guess what??? Mr. Colonel asked an absurd amount of money..... :cry: :cry:

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Melanie

Post by Melanie »

likethebike wrote:Elvis would not have encountered any problem with his drugs as they were all prescription drugs.
I second this. The tour doctor could have been carrying the stuff and there most likely wouldn't have been a problem.

Could Elvis have carried weapons across international borders, flashing a badge?

Topic author
Graceland Gardener

Luuk wrote:
Graceland Gardener wrote:hey, Elvis & Colonel and entourage snuck into Canada on that one '57 tour. They did not arrive on the train although a big formal reception waited for them at the station.

Luuk, use the farce Luuk.

Uh yeh, I see you microscope in and tweezer the word "one"

:!: I KNOW Elvis did more than 1 tour thru Canada.
He played more than one city there.

My use of the word "one" is "that one" - not all of them,
but that "one" where he snuck off the train and the press conference discussed that. Vancouver perhaps, name didn't come to mind.

With more than one city he played there, it was that ONE where they recorded a press conference and said he got off the train to sneak into town.

That "one" - not the only one, but just that one.

---- and perhaps it was done to avoid the pomp & circumstance of displaying passports - maybe Parker didn't have one.