Was Elvis underrated?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

bpd
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by bpd »

likethebike wrote:Elvis is seldom discussed in the same breadth as a creative artist like Dylan, the Beatles or even Sinatra.
I agree with all you said, except, Elvis is always mentioned in conjunction with the Beatles...at least in the documentaries that I watch...including the Beatle's Anthology...in relation to the mania and record sales...there is just no way of getting around the fact that Elvis was a milestone...

I will agree though if you are talking critical acclaim, then he is never mentioned...he wasn't a singer/song writer.

Yes he is under rated. Sometimes I think that the only thing the media thinks Elvis did was to say: Thank you, Thank you very much.

It kills me.

bpd

InMemphis
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by InMemphis »

Underrated?

Can you go any higher than #1?

Can you do any better than being the artist of the century?

Can you accomplish more than being the most famous entertainer in the history of the world?

Would you complain that your team could have done better after they have won the Super Bowl? Or for you guys across the pond, the World Cup.

bpd

Post by bpd »

[quote="InMemphis"]Underrated?

Can you go any higher than #1?

Can you do any better than being the artist of the century?

Can you accomplish more than being the most famous entertainer in the history of the world?

Nope. But I think that this post is about the fact that Elvis was #1 the media (and all but one of he people that I know) doesn't acknowledge the fact. But on a whole you are more than correct.

Quote from John Lennon: Before Elvis there was nothing.

That pretty much says it all...

bpd

buddy holly
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by buddy holly »

bpd wrote:Quote from John Lennon: Before Elvis there was nothing.

bpd
I've always hated that quote. Never heard of Hank Williams, Milton Brown, Bob Wills, Jimmie Rodgers, Louis Armstrong, Emmet Miller, Fats Waller, Django Reinhardt, Bessie Smith, Robert Johson, Lonnie Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Jimmie Davis?

I know Elvis was the start of pop culture but before Elvis already a lot of very exciting has been made. A lot of innovators. Jimmie Rodgers for example created Country and his succesors went on to Western Swing via Honky Tonk to Rockabilly (Carter Family started out playing Country at the same time but they are the root of the Bluegrass branch). Jimmie Rodgers (just as Jimmie Davis) mixed white and black influences and used black musicians including a young Louis Armstrong in his band. He had million sellers in a time when records costs a week salary! That's far from nothing. Maybe Lennon should have said, before Elvis I know nothing. His loss.
Last edited by buddy holly on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bring joy, avoid misery and be grateful

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

I have never in my life seen so much Elvis Presley News as we have seen this year.

Elvis Presley is the best kept secret in the world! That's why there is 231 songs about him.

The 231st by the extraordinary artist, Kate Bush, to be featured in, "Rolling Stone" magazine in November.

Even in the classical music world the Great Composers come into vogue in Cycles.

There is nothing new under the Sun...did I say, Sun?

bpd

Post by bpd »

buddy holly wrote:
bpd wrote:Quote from John Lennon: Before Elvis there was nothing.

bpd
I've always hated that quote. Never heard of Hank Williams, Milton Brown, Bob Wills, Jimmie Rodgers, Louis Armstrong, Emmet Miller, Fats Waller, Django Reinhardt, Bessie Smith, Robert Johson, Lonnie Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Jimmie Davis?

I know Elvis was the start of pop culture but before Elvis already a lot of very exciting has been made. A lot of innovators. Jimmie Rodgers for example created Country and his succesors went on to Western Swing via Honky Tonk to Rockabilly (Carter Family started out playing Country at the same time but they are the root of the Bluegrass branch). Jimmie Rodgers (just as Jimmie Davis) mixed white and black influences and used black musicians including a young Louis Armstrong in his band. He had million sellers in a time when records costs a week salary! That's far from nothing. Maybe Lennon should have said, before Elvis I know nothing. His loss.
I can't argue with your post. And you are 100% correct, Elvis was definately influenced by many and he didn't invent music and he did have contemporaries. However, I'm just an Elvis/Beatle guy. The other's never struck me at all (not a slam on your taste...just my limited taste).

So for me Lennon's quote is an accurate representation of my feelings...and I guess that his statement exposed his limited taste also. I'm not sure I would listen to music at all if it wasn't for Elvis...so for me it's true that before Elvis there was nothing...except all those who influenced him.

bpd

Elvis' Babe
Registered for: 20 years
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

that lennon quote doesn't bother me nearly as much as the "elvis died when he went into the army" or whatever...that one ticks me off.

that's probably the source of the elitism towards elvis' career...the hippies tend to take lennon's words as gospel, and therefore are unable to see past this era for elvis' musical output. and many reduce it even further down to the sun records material.

though both quotes are pretty scandalous.

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

bpd

Post by bpd »

Elvis' Babe wrote:that lennon quote doesn't bother me nearly as much as the "elvis died when he went into the army" or whatever...that one ticks me off.

that's probably the source of the elitism towards elvis' career...the hippies tend to take lennon's words as gospel, and therefore are unable to see past this era for elvis' musical output. and many reduce it even further down to the sun records material.

though both quotes are pretty scandalous.

To John, Elvis was 'The Man'.

I just listened to that Lennon interview recently and his comment there really torques me at one level. I understand it. But the comments torque me.

However, I don't hold Lennon to that quote literally. I doubt that the 'hippies' even considered Elvis at all...Lennon definitely considered Elvis…considered Elvis as a heart felt role model!

On one side Elvis did die when he went in the army...if you are the type that wanted to keep Elvis in the 56ish music mode. (Which I don't. If Elvis continued with this model, he would have definitely been a flash in the pan as opposed to THE PAN).

There is no doubt that there was a significant change when Elvis returned to the studio after returning from that army. I don't attribute any style to his new music...it was just not his 56ish style. But it can't be argued (except for someone who will prove me wrong on this board :) ) that Elvis' pre-army style was not the same as the post-army style. (Not better or worse but different).

Lennon had an expectation that Elvis wouldn't change...and he did. (I think Elvis was right to change and saw the situation...rock n roll in its pure incarnation was dead... or at least would die (ie. the not what Lennon wanted from his hero).

An observation: when a young person of fame states something its recorded in history but sometimes history doesn't record their re-think as they mature. For example: I know that at one point in my life that I said that 'I hate girls'. Well things have changed, now I love girls, girls, girls and more girls!' Elvis and John didn’t get the opportunity to mature for one reason or the other.

I know that Lennon took issue with the polished approach to the Abbey Road album. He wanted to keep with the 60's version of Elvis '56 style or in other words the Beatles roots.

There is a parallel here. He wanted to steer the Beatles back to their roots...the same roots that he felt that Elvis sold out on. And the same roots that Lennon felt that he sold out on.

In other words Lennon felt that the Beatles sold out, therefore, he related it back to the fact that he felt that Elvis sold out. He wanted straight rock & roll album...so I take it that he was, at heart, a purist from the Beatle standpoint and from the Elvis standpoint. (Beatle fans back me up here).

Look. Here's another way to look at it. Lennon stole lyrics from an early Elvis song. "I'd rather see you dead little girl than to see you with another man". He was definitely impacted by early Elvis and I think he wanted Elvis to be 'his Elvis' (maybe no different that some of our thoughts at times). Forget the fact that Lennon resented the Beatle fans that wanted the Beatles to stay the ‘boys from Liverpool’ Lennon wanted Elvis to be the Elvis from ’56.

I love both Elvis and Lennon so this is how I reconcile John's comments...

bpd

P.S. I don't understand your comment about the quotes being 'scandalous'. Don't disagree; just don't understand your point of view.

P.S.S. For the record, I don't think that Elvis sold out on anything except for maybe the Hollywood thing, but he was young. When I was his age I didn't have a clue how to fight against management. Recently I've hit a milestone in my life...I have now lived longer than both John Lennon and Elvis Presley…And...I still don't I still don't do too well against management.

Let's always remember the maturity level at any given age when considering career moves and comments...

If you actually get to this point in my post, thanks for reading the entire thing. :shock:

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

bpd
Can uou believe that, without being a Beatles / Lennon fan, I read entirely your post and found it really interesting. Great pont of view and nice way to reconcile both artists. 8)

bpd

Post by bpd »

Thanks. I just re-read what I wrote. Man I'm long winded. :lol: