All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:31 pm

If the improvements are as we have been told on here, I'll get it! If I don't like it, I'll give it away to my son!

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:32 pm

bajo wrote:If the improvements are as we have been told on here, I'll get it!


Same here but I'm waiting for confirmation because I can't believe it.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:43 pm

For shame!! You doubt minkahed?? Shame, shame, shame.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:33 pm

I jus got done playing the 3rd disc amd here's my overall impression...

the sound is really good, full and crystal clear, on all the songs. my biggest disappointment came with the 70's trax...

STEAMROLLER BLUES sounds sharp, nice and clean, and Ronnie's snare drum sounds cracklin' and tight. this version, however, IS NOT, the '98 upgrade Ferrante remix :!:

IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP is, again, the original Lp Master. It sounds ok, but maybe I'm jus used to the '95 remix first heard on the 70's box and the 2000 Promsed Land upgrade... :roll:

MY BOY is, by far, the worst sounding track on this whole set. it is the original Lp Master, and back is the annoying overblown horns, echo, overlaying voices mix that I could never stand with the original 45rpm...IMO, BMG had fixed this on the 70's box and Promised Land upgrade in 2000, but why they chose these again is a mystery to me...oh well.

by the way, it states that THE STORY CONTINUES... disc is remastered by Vic Anesini.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:14 pm

minkahed wrote:I jus got done playing the 3rd disc amd here's my overall impression...

the sound is really good, full and crystal clear, on all the songs. my biggest disappointment came with the 70's trax...

STEAMROLLER BLUES sounds sharp, nice and clean, and Ronnie's snare drum sounds cracklin' and tight. this version, however, IS NOT, the '98 upgrade Ferrante remix :!:

IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP is, again, the original Lp Master. It sounds ok, but maybe I'm jus used to the '95 remix first heard on the 70's box and the 2000 Promsed Land upgrade... :roll:

MY BOY is, by far, the worst sounding track on this whole set. it is the original Lp Master, and back is the annoying overblown horns, echo, overlaying voices mix that I could never stand with the original 45rpm...IMO, BMG had fixed this on the 70's box and Promised Land upgrade in 2000, but why they chose these again is a mystery to me...oh well.

by the way, it states that THE STORY CONTINUES... disc is remastered by Vic Anesini.


Thanks for the review.

Did Vic also remaster the first two discs?

I am really surprised that the original master of A Big Hunk O'Love is used since it hasn't appeared on many releases for quite some time.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:22 pm

Mink -

Well, sorry I doubted you, mate !

So is this BMG's secret weapon ?

"Word will soon get around that we corrected the previous errors on the No.1's disc, and the fans will all rush to buy it again
!"

Could work !

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:06 am

Did anyone pick this set up today :?:

they had a real nice display at Wal Mart, but no sale price! :?:

I did see, however, a fairly attractive young woman picking this set up and putting it in her carriage... :P

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:23 am

Not until it's advertised almost for free on BMG !! BTW ...ever get to get Greenville NC

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:22 am

Colin!....

Wait a few months and get it free with your sunday papers (ever other cd seems to be)

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:28 am

Is this thing going on sale because there's no
way I'll pay $68.99 CDN for it???


Image

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:46 am

elvis-fan wrote:Is this thing going on sale because there's no
way I'll pay $68.99 CDN for it???


Image



$68.99 CDN, holy sh*t, that's alotta cash for this set bro :!:

It's at our SuperCenter Wal-Mart for $31.88, with no special sale or sticker advertising this release. quite odd, considering they had it nicely displayed in the "New Releases" rack, upfront and center :!: :roll:

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:47 am

Have I already told you guys NO for this boxset???
Just to ensure my answer.....

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:49 am

renanagulled wrote:Have I already told you guys NO for this boxset???
Just to ensure my answer.....


I don't think you did... :o

??

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:09 am

not me??

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:10 am

The review of minkahed changed my mind. I'll buy it.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:12 am

Mink should receive some commission from this CD.

I'm still not buying though.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:50 am

How about the tracks included on the second disc of Hitstory.

Are they exactly the same as on the 2nd to None release?

Not that I'm buying Hitstory anyway, just curious...

Br
Kristian

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:01 am

Rob wrote:Mink should receive some commission from this CD.


aw, thanks Rob, your support is much appreciated...

I'm still not buying though.


Somehow, I don't buleeve You :!: :!: :!: :lol:

just kidding...

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:27 am

minkahed wrote:I jus got done playing the 3rd disc amd here's my overall impression...

the sound is really good, full and crystal clear, on all the songs. my biggest disappointment came with the 70's trax...

STEAMROLLER BLUES sounds sharp, nice and clean, and Ronnie's snare drum sounds cracklin' and tight. this version, however, IS NOT, the '98 upgrade Ferrante remix :!:

IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP is, again, the original Lp Master. It sounds ok, but maybe I'm jus used to the '95 remix first heard on the 70's box and the 2000 Promsed Land upgrade... :roll:

MY BOY is, by far, the worst sounding track on this whole set. it is the original Lp Master, and back is the annoying overblown horns, echo, overlaying voices mix that I could never stand with the original 45rpm...IMO, BMG had fixed this on the 70's box and Promised Land upgrade in 2000, but why they chose these again is a mystery to me...oh well.

by the way, it states that THE STORY CONTINUES... disc is remastered by Vic Anesini.


A lot of the album upgrades we've seen in the late 90's were actually very uneven to begin with. While "Promised Land" was apparently remastered from scratch - with an overabundance of muddy bass - "Moody Blue" was a straight transfer from the previous discs and contained no sonic improvements whatsoever. It would be great if all of these reissues could eventually be upgraded to DSD sound by Vic Anesini.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:59 pm

another point being, this set states that the tape transfers were done by Andreas Meyer at SONY studios, New York City...

why would he not use the remixed versions Ferrante did on the 70's box, or the 2000 upgrade, instead of going back to the original Lp Masters... :?:

Maybe that's what was given to him :?:

Maybe he couldn't find them :?:

I also noticed he did the same thing with I Got A Feelin' In My Body on the Elvis By The Presleys cd...

I jus find this too be a distraction, corrected mistakes made on the 30 #1 Hits disc, remixed versions found on both cd 1 and 2 and not on disc 3 :?:

too much inconsistency... :roll:

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:10 pm

minkahed wrote:too much inconsistency... :roll:


Whatever, every time you post I enjoy that sexy thing at the bottom of your post. Who is she?

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:33 pm

Minkahed:

Do the first 2 discs of Hitstory contain the original mixes and not the new remixes prepared for these cd's originally?

Are 30#1 hits and 2nd to none newly remastered?

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:56 pm

I obtained Hitstory yesterday. I echo Minkahed's comments. It's great to have the best version yet of "Hound Dog" with no "pop". Also, "A Fool Such As I" (master take) sounds fabulous! It's good to have the spliced master of "A Big Hunk 'O Love" too - sound probably not as good as "A Fool Such As I", but good nonetheless.

I haven't listened closely to a lot of the material, but I noticed the following: "That's All Right (Mama)" on the second disc never sounded better - it's better than on "Elvis At Sun" in my opinion, which has a slight overload on the word "Papa" near the beginning - it's perfect here. Also, I think "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" sounds better than on "Second to None" or "Elvis at Sun."

On Disc 3 "I Beg of You" and "My Wish Came True" never sounded better. On "One Broken Heart for Sale," Elvis and the Mello Men seems to be totally on the right side - it almost sounds binaural - not sure I like this!

And, yes Walmart has it for $31.88 plus tax - a great buy, in my opinion.

Mystery Train

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:19 pm

minkahed wrote:another point being, this set states that the tape transfers were done by Andreas Meyer at SONY studios, New York City...

why would he not use the remixed versions Ferrante did on the 70's box, or the 2000 upgrade, instead of going back to the original Lp Masters... :?:

Maybe that's what was given to him :?:

Maybe he couldn't find them :?:

I also noticed he did the same thing with I Got A Feelin' In My Body on the Elvis By The Presleys cd...

I jus find this too be a distraction, corrected mistakes made on the 30 #1 Hits disc, remixed versions found on both cd 1 and 2 and not on disc 3 :?:

too much inconsistency... :roll:
The Best sounding version of ALWAYS ON MY MIND is on the Elvis by the Presleys.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:16 pm

buddy holly wrote:
minkahed wrote:too much inconsistency... :roll:


Whatever, every time you post I enjoy that sexy thing at the bottom of your post. Who is she?


Actually Elvis guitar is in the wrong direction on this pic :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :P