"HITSTORY" released this Tuesday....Who's buying?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Anyone else third that :?:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvissessions »

Yes, but even better would be getting a heads-up on what the hell is going on.

Right now, we're just left to Sherlock this mess for ourselves.

Why? :?

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

minkahed wrote:
JLGB wrote:
minkahed wrote:another point being, this set states that the tape transfers were done by Andreas Meyer at SONY studios, New York City...

why would he not use the remixed versions Ferrante did on the 70's box, or the 2000 upgrade, instead of going back to the original Lp Masters... :?:

Maybe that's what was given to him :?:

Maybe he couldn't find them :?:

I also noticed he did the same thing with I Got A Feelin' In My Body on the Elvis By The Presleys cd...

I jus find this too be a distraction, corrected mistakes made on the 30 #1 Hits disc, remixed versions found on both cd 1 and 2 and not on disc 3 :?:

too much inconsistency... :roll:
The Best sounding version of ALWAYS ON MY MIND is on the Elvis by the Presleys.
No doubt, but that's because it's the same remixed version that was found on the 2003 SECOND TO NONE release... :!: :wink:

If you doubt my answer, check out the recent remaster that was found on the Love , Elvis disc and you will easily hear the difference...

at least, I hope you do :!:
Yes, you are right! The sound is better audiophile quality (it has the analog warmth) on Love, Elvis. But the 2nd To None is just mixed better and you can hear the instruments better. But it sounds a little cold or digital. Thats what I tried to explain before that just because it is DSD it does not mean it is going to have a good mix. It would be perfect with warmth of Love, Elvis and mix (as in hearing all instruments more clearly) of 2nd To None. :D

Registered for: 21 years

not me

Post by 29841 »

not me

Vince He'll Never Learn, He likes That Kind Of Punishment!

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

Gang,
I'm beginning to wonder whether D Bendeth managed a contract where his productions would not be repeated on future compiles.
Sure I hear a lot of you cheering, however he did produce Elvis' his biggest selling CD of all-time.
Yes, there was a 'pop' on Hound Dog but damn-it he still gave us the best 'All Shook Up', 'In The Ghetto'(master), longest version of 'Jailhouse Rock', 'Burning Love', 'His Latest Flame', 'One Night' etc PLUS he gave us a damn fine 5.1 audio DVD version!
He deserves a round of applause if only for the 5.1 Memphis Session tracks, & not this continuous slagging off.

Yes he wasn't a true Elvis fan (Kevan Budd's work is great & thoroughly researched) but he did a fantastic job.

Anyway Bendeth's versions were not used on 'Elvis By the Presleys'nor 'Love Songs', instead these featured the 2002 DSD versions instead.

So how does 'All Shook Up' & 'One Night' compare, since 'Elvis 30 #1s' versions stood out when compared to any other version?

I'll find here it Australia soon.

Cheers
Piers

bajo

Post by bajo »

Piers!
As always well put!
Even if there are a few versions of songs on E1 I hoped would have sounded better, I still second Piers' thoughts!
I'll await a proper review of the HITSTORY compilation, regarding the sound, befor I'll go out and get it!!
I'm more for the EU version, track-wise. But if the US version comes out with better sound on disc 3, I'll reconsider!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Mike DK

Post by Mike DK »

Regarding Hound Dog.

What about the DSD release done by Kevan Budd ? I thought that was the best sounding Hound Dog available....

Vic Anesini has done some really great work with his mastering-skills, but the 1973 tracks that he has mastered always sound bad compared to the upgraded version of the Promised Land CD.

etp
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by etp »

I would say: even if the 30#1 and 2nd to none discs are in dsd insetad of the original mixes --- skip this one, because in my opinion it is pretty likely that the 50s&60s and 70s boxes will be released in DSD sound pretty soon .....

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Mike DK wrote:Regarding Hound Dog.

What about the DSD release done by Kevan Budd ? I thought that was the best sounding Hound Dog available....

Vic Anesini has done some really great work with his mastering-skills, but the 1973 tracks that he has mastered always sound bad compared to the upgraded version of the Promised Land CD.
Get the billboard CD and decide for yourself. It is the version closest (to me) to the original single sound. But I am very subjective here.

Claus

Post by Claus »

That's probably because Anesini used the original album mixes. The Stax recordings were remixed for the upgraded Promised Land. The remixes might sound "better" but they aren't the real deal, imo.

I have nothing against remixes as long as the original mixes are readily available.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Claus wrote:

That's probably because Anesini used the original album mixes. The Stax recordings were remixed for the upgraded Promised Land. The remixes might sound "better" but they aren't the real deal, imo.

I have nothing against remixes as long as the original mixes are readily available.
For me there are only 2 recording events that the sound should not be tampered with. The Sun sound and the Chips Moman sound of 1969. The rest if the newer mixes improve the original sound then go for it I think. But let me tell you something, the only way the "purists" are going to listen to the real deal is by playing the ORIGINAL vinyl records. There is no two ways about that. And this time I am not being subjective. You can be lucky and listen to the master tapes in the studio and still you will not listen to the original sound of them records.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Mike DK wrote:Vic Anesini has done some really great work with his mastering-skills, but the 1973 tracks that he has mastered always sound bad compared to the upgraded version of the Promised Land CD.
That's like comparing Apples and Oranges.

The DSD mastered versions of the 1973 tracks need to be compared to the original "Promised Land" CD and not the upgraded one. DSD transfers imply the absence of any remixing, as they are straight transfers off of the original stereo mixdowns.

Sure, a remix might sound louder and clearer than the original mix but what it always loses is the organic nature present in the original mix. Compare the DSD remaster of "Suspicious Minds" on EBTP with the version on E1 (which is mastered at about 6dB higher).

Now reduce the E1 version by 6dB in a sound editor and you'll see how much of the original signal was stripped off to get a hotter sound! Your ears will eventually grow tired of this compression, which forces your brain to fill in the missing signals.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

The DSD Suspicious Minds was not the original stereo mix master. That brings me back to the #1 hits. Had it not been mastered so loud it would have been superb.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

I don't agree. The E1 version is even better than the DSD version... compression and all. There is way too much noise (on Hound Dog) on the "Elvis" DSD release. I was very disappointed with that track. On the flip side, there were many excellent tracks as well from the DSD releases... IWYINYILY, Teddy Bear and Don't Be Cruel are possibly the best I've heard them.

Claus

Post by Claus »

JLGB wrote:
Claus wrote:

For me there are only 2 recording events that the sound should not be tampered with. The Sun sound and the Chips Moman sound of 1969. The rest if the newer mixes improve the original sound then go for it I think. But let me tell you something, the only way the "purists" are going to listen to the real deal is by playing the ORIGINAL vinyl records. There is no two ways about that. And this time I am not being subjective. You can be lucky and listen to the master tapes in the studio and still you will not listen to the original sound of them records.
I love vinyl, but even vinyl from the same pressing (1. pressing) can sound different. The only thing that should sound the same is the mix.

As I've said before, I don't mind remixing at all as long as those remixes don't replace the original mixes.

Sound is a very subjective discussion and I think we'll have to agree to disagree :)

Deke Rivers II
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Deke Rivers II »

[quote]I have nothing against remixes as long as the original mixes are readily available.

I agree....I LOVE the Memphis Sessions and want them available as they were...but I also prefer some of the mixes Rick Rowe did on "The Memphis Record" and do not have a problem with those tracks being remixed with different sound yet again (I persoanlly wish I had access to all the multitracks and overdubs and could do my own personal taste mixes). And although I hold the Sun Session HIGH if they had been recorded in Stereo I would like remixes of them as long as the ORIGINALS were available.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

The Memphis Record has a couple of alternate or unrepaired vocal takes. Thats about all I like about it. For those that do not know the songs are: Inherit the Wind and Wearin that Loved On look.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

The Memphis Record Mixes: Barf bag.

Deke Rivers II
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Deke Rivers II »

Hmmn....looks like I still can't qoute anyone like the rest of you guys do on here....oh well...LOL

Topic author
minkahed

Post by minkahed »

JerryNodak wrote:The Memphis Record Mixes: Barf bag.
I disagree...

It wasn't perfect (the mixing) by any means, but a step in the right direction IMO :!:

That 1987 release of the Memphis Record should have included ALL the trax, instead of the paltry 23 we got.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Kingtiger0321

Post by Kingtiger0321 »

So when it comes Fall of next year does that mean we'll have a 4 disc set or will they just re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release 30#1's and 2nd to none on the FTD label? The FTD versions could be a 2 disc set, the first disc of 30#1's could be the original the second could be all the songs in the original hit performances, and "Hound dog" without pop and ALLC with computer glitches, 30 seconds of which will be left off until the future release of 30 #1's. Also In the ghetto will have a longer gap at the end of it on the 2nd disc.

I think they may need to re-think there release policy. We've waited hoping maybe BMG would release a good album of Elvis tracks, instead what do we get? Elvis HITSTORY - The way they were released instead of our quick easy access tapes that have only been released on 1,247,804.5 cds. Should alternatively be titled, "Elvis - we don't want to get off our lazy a$$es to make a new album for your fans, so lets re-re-re-re-release the same albums over and over again, because we feel the public is just to stupid to know the difference".

I hate to see the BMG marketing team at work, here would be a press release for them.

Look for our new original compilations in the following months:

Elvis Love Songs
Elvis Gospel
Elvis Country
Elvis Christmas

We haven't released one of these in almost a month. Get them now before we release the next one, with the same tracks, but different cover.

Random qoutes:

"I'll be dog gone Nick! Your house done blowed up, s'on fire too!" - Elvis

"You fed them DOG FOOD! How Dare!!!!" - "Paradise, Hawaiian style"

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I believe that Hitstory is aimed at the people that missed out on buying the E1 and 2nd to None and at the same time keep the Elvis merchandise moving in the record shops. Those 10 million or so E1 sales were not driven by us hardcore fans, so it makes sense to me that most of the people that buy this set do not have the other releases mentioned. I was just thinking if I did not have one Bobby Darin CD in my collection. I surely would not go out and buy unreleased rarities or B-sides etc. I would go straight for the most RECENT greatest hits package.

bajo

Post by bajo »

SpoT on JLGB!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Topic author
minkahed

Post by minkahed »

JLGB wrote:I was just thinking if I did not have one Bobby Darin CD in my collection. I surely would not go out and buy unreleased rarities or B-sides etc. I would go straight for the most RECENT greatest hits package.

Absolutely spot on JLGB :!:

I know lots of people who are jus casual fans of all kinds of music that stick with only Greatest Hits type packages of all the artists they like.

they figure, "hey, I got all the Hits, that's all I really need"...

It's up to that specific person if, he/she, is willing to dig deeper down into that particular artist's catalog...

I don't support BMG's shoddy release patterns, and I really hope they re-evaluate their strategy.

I'm sure BMG isn't thinking this set is gonna be a "Monster" of a seller, or an instant "Smash", but In the long term, BMG knows this set will bring in more than enuff to break even.

I already know of 3 people that bought this set this week jus because they said it was ELVIS...and these people aren't even "fans" like we are.

I'm sure BMG are pleased... :evil:

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

mink: A change in release strategy has already taken place. Most of the back catalogue(eventually all) will be farmed out to FTD and greatest hits comps and the like along with an occassional box set is all we'll get on the main label.