All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

On the Concert in San Antonio being on Close Up-Set.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:34 am

I would rahter have found more outtakes from the 70`s, especially from
1971 on Cd 4 of this box.
This well-known concert would have fit for another FTD release.
Why doesn`t Ernst release more outtakes of the 70`s ?
There are tons lying in the vaults and we aren`t much blessed with
outakes, especially from 1971.
regards
Ciscoking

Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:16 am

we aren't "blessed" with any 70's outtakes? where have u been for the last 8 years? Elvis recorded 43 masters in'71 and 16 were NOT Gospel/Christmas recordings. most of these have seen an alt. released and i'm sure Ernst and co. will get around on releasing some more, but on a major box set? how many more unreleased alt. 70's recordings do u think are left? unless u your a hardcore for Elvis' '71 gospel alternates, your wish will probably see the light of day on an FTD cd, not a box set! think about it, i'll wait! lol
and to say were not "Blessed" on getting any 70's unreleased is plain ignorant. if i recall, let's see:
1) 70's box (about 23 unreleased tracks, 5 from '71)
2) Essential Elvis vol. 4 (3 from '71)
3) Essential Elvis vol. 5
4) Nashville Marathon
5) 6363 sunset
6) Platinum (disc 4) (4 from '71)
7) Today, Tommorrow and Forever (disc 4) (5 from '71)
8) 6 gospel recordings from Elvis on Tour on "Amazing Grace" 2 cd set
9) Great Country Songs (has 4 unreleased from 70's, 1 from '71)
ah, and the great...
JUNGLE ROOM SESSIONS!!! and let's not forget the cd:
If Every Day Was Like Christmas (5 or 6 more unreleased from '71)

see! it's not sooo bad.... :lol:

Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:04 pm

I think the 1972 show is a gesture to the fans that have requested more “On Tour” material. Ernst and BMG are obviously reluctant to release all of it whilst there is still a (remote) possibility of MGM compiling an “On Tour” – SE, and the inclusion of this show in the forthcoming box set, gives the fans the opportunity to hear a great show from Elvis, that should be presented in excellent sound quality.

It’s also worth noting that Elvis’ live albums were always more popular with the casual buyer than his regular ’70’s studio work, and BMG may feel that the inclusion of this show on the “Close Up” set will be more appealing to the wider public than a disc of 70’s outtakes.

With titles like “Memphis Sessions”, and “The Nashville Marathon” being issued through FTD already, I think it’s likely that we will get a release of 1971 out takes at some point, but this will be via FTD, rather than part of a regular mainstream release.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:07 pm

Hi, minkahed

I don`t have to start counting the albums with outtakes we have from the 60`s, do I ?
So which outtakes do you want to see the light of day ?
More of the movie-outtakes, even more outtakes from Studio B in the 60´s ?
What about the takes from Stax, from Studio C, Hollywood e.g.Separate
Ways (there are 21 takes), from Palm Springs we need outtakes.
Don`t forget the session for Elvis Today, again in hollywood and last
we want more Jungle Room Sessions.
You can`t blame me for wanting more alts from the 70`s, my friend.
Just compare what has been released from the 60`s and the 70`s.
And last I wouldn`t care if they released Gospel alts from 71. In my
opinion it`s great music, too.

To rebel,

Hi,
where do you know from that the public wants to see rather another live
concert than more studio material from the 70`s ?
Just your personal opinion or do you have facts, rebel ?

regards
Ciscoking

Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:28 pm

To rebel,

Hi,
where do you know from that the public wants to see rather another live
concert than more studio material from the 70`s ?
Just your personal opinion or do you have facts, rebel ?

regards
Ciscoking

Hi Cisco,

It’s just an opinion based on the fact the ‘70’s live albums sold much better than Elvis’ 70’s studio albums.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:55 pm

Hi, rebel (again )

You probably mention a fact that fits for the 70`s but I think in the present
it has all changed a little bit. I think it even turned around.
Is there any well-known artist in the world with so many live concerts
and different live songs being released ?
regards
Ciscoking

San Antonio 72.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:04 pm

I'm glad BMG is releasing this concert from On Tour 72. Hopefully the sound will be alot better then the Vicky Records release where you can hardly hear Elvis. Every time I watch On Tour I wish I could see this performance along with Greenboro because Elvis look's really good not like Hampton Roads were look's whiter than a ghost. Hat's off to BMG for including this show on the upcoming box set, hopefully we will see more in the future. :)

Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:56 pm

first of all, ciscoking, u don't make sense! read your first post again. i'm perfectly content on what i already own and whatever BMG decides to release within good time is ok with me! why don't u answer my question, "how many outtakes or alt. are left"? why don't u read my list again, u might learn sumthin...LOL seriously, the sessions u mentioned have already been touched upon.
the Stax sessions have seen a whole cd (Essential, vol.5) plus Platinum and TT@F! the March '72 sessions have seen some outtakes and the Today sessions have seen the best takes released, so there's really nuthin' left. whatever is left, i'm sure will come out via FTD, not a box set, get it? u said 70's alt. on a box set. for u, it would be great, but for the general public, don't think anyone besides us is gonna want the 14th take of "She Thinks I Still Care"! be sensible about this. you said RCA has "TONS" lying in the vault. LUDICROUS!!! u can't compare Elvis' 60's output to the 70's because of the fact that he was constantly recording/filming, hence double the output! the 70's had fewer sessions, more touring and Elvis had lost interest in recording so u do the math...

Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:57 am

Hi, minkahed.

Don`t take it too serious. I won`t do the maths. We may have different
opinions about the releasing policy of BMG but after all we are
both Elvis-Fans and I won`t ever quarrel with an Elvis fan.
We could argue till X-mas about this topic without coming to a
satisfactory solution. But that`s why we are on this board.
Exchanging knowledge and opinions.

Take Care
Ciscoking

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:18 am

I forgot, minkahed.
What do you mean by saying, it doesn`t make sense ?

Ciscoking

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:25 am

hey cisco...hope u didn't take my post offensively, but i'm sticking w/ my belief that my opinion holds water as being FACT! can anybody here, on this board, disagree with me that what i have replied is untruthful? it's been said and said again by Ernst and RCA that most of the good 70's outtakes have been already used and whatever they have left would seem to uncommercial for "joe public". they need a gimmick to sell another box set and RCA knows that the hard core fan base will buy the box for the '72 show alone! lol it wouldn't have any mass appeal for disc 4 of "CLOSE UP" to "....new box set and including unreleased 70's masters such as Take 6 of "Love Me, Love the Life I Lead", Take 5 of "Padre" and a great great belching version from 1976 of "Danny Boy"! LOL

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:29 am

cisco, would u PLEEEEEEEZE read your post again, then read my reply before freakin'...u said u didn't wanna quarrel dear... :cry: ............ :lol:

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:47 pm

Hi, minkahed.

I know what I have posted and I noticed your reply as well.
To proof my statement I don`t need any lists which say nuthin`.
Just one thing which immeditately pops into my head to calm you
down:
Take 21 of Seperate Ways is the master, take 25(!) has been released
on Platin.
So do your maths. 23 different takes of this one imortant song among others from the 70`s
wait to see the light of day and you want to make me believe all important
things have been already released (LOL).
Take a look at Recording Sessions 2 by Tunzi and you`ll see what gems
are waiting for their release. Why not as part of a CD box-set !
But given, the idea of San Antonio as CD 4 isn`t the worst solution.....

regards
Ciscoking

Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:16 pm

I think that Cisco Cooking has a legitimate gripe. First of all, all the 70's master have not been released remastered. That is a fact!(ok so maybe the RE-REMASTERED). Not too mention there are tons of rehearsals that need to see the light of day. It baffles me how the 70's have been so poorly represented. True that certain areas(like 1970) are given the good treatment. Still there is a lot of marketable music not released. Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming from a rehearsal is one example. It is simply better than the master(though not sound quality wise).

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:12 pm

so cisco, let me get this straight, u want 23 alt. of "Seperate Ways" to fill out disc 4 on the box set? :D

seriously, i still don't think u see the logic behind this concept. trust me dude, you can't get a rise outta me with your senseless posts! if u think my "lists" say nuthin', u must be BLIND!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
one more thing: if the master of "Seperate Ways" is take 21 and the alt. on Platinum is take 25, how much better do u think the first 20 takes could be? would the general public care? the original single never got higher than #20 on the Hot 100, so y would another alt. be appropriate for a commercial release? just curious....

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:21 pm

I think Cisco cooking was using Separate Ways as a example. Certain 70's tracks have hardly been touched. Thoug I appreciate a full concert, I too wonder why they used this release for such a concert. The 70's are for a big part ignored. This was Elvis most prolific time for "serious" recordings. I am thankful that RCA has recognized SOME of the recordings, but there are still many facets untapped. We don't have much from TROUBLE or Raised on Rock. That is a fact. Early Morning rain hasn't been touched either. How about Help me Make It Through The Night, Fools Rush In etc etc. These examples paired with the rehearsals I mentioned above are great material...even for Joe Public. Cisco mentioned 25 takes of Separate Ways..which is a good example considering we have so few. Now how does that compare with the HUNDREDs of 60's takes!!!

Oh your example of Separate Ways chart placing is petty. Compare that with the alternate takes of the movies...hmmm I guess they were smashes on the charts!?

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:45 pm

Some of you are assuming that ALL 25 takes of Separate Ways are complete tracks.

Based on the usual sessions this is not very likely at all. In fact the only complete takes might be 21 and 25.

I fail to see the appeal to the general public of even one let alone 20 false starts. Remember we are talking about Close Up here.

Trust Ernst and Co a little bit - they know what appeals thus sells on both FTD and RCA. If they thought that 25 tales of the one song would be a starter - rest assured we would have it!

If such a disc exists - how many times would you play it? Without being bored out of your skull. :D

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:49 pm

No offense but did my point go unnoticed? Separate Ways is not the only example here. Now KIWIALAN, you and I both know there is 70's material out there that has not seen the light of day that is in GREAT quality. The point was that there were 25 takes of a particular song period. If 3 versions of Tonights Alright for Love could be released...how about more from the 70's. This decade has not been treated well, that is a FACT.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:09 am

There is one very good reason why the 70's have not been treated well.

RCA are no doubt reluctant to share royalties with EPE - which they would do if material post March 1973 was included on Close Up.

Let us not forget that RCA/FTD second name is greed.

Another factor could possibly be the fact that this material is multi-track which would entail greater production costs to mix and master. By that I mean the outtakes would not have been mixed down on the run and readily available as the 60's stuff.

But - and this is pure hope on my part - perhaps they are holding back on these to release on DVD A once the RCA program is underway :?:

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:26 am

hey gene...r u cisco's spokesperson? can he not answer for himself before u but in? seems like YOU can't even understand the issue at hand here. why don't YOU read the original post he made and my reply and then think about it. that's all i ask. you guys are goin' totally off the original topic...

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:35 am

We already have loads of 70's outtakes released. People just like to complain.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:03 am

Just a small detail Genesim, but Help Me Make It Through the Night does have an alternate on Great Country Songs. And if that's the best alternate, I don't need to hear the others.

I would however like to get the master upgraded. Grrrrrr!

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:19 am

:shock: Regarding royalties don't forget that the October FTD release from Lake Tahoe will be a yet another POST March 1973 recording release!!

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:58 am

[color=black
][/color]The 70's are for a big part ignored.

gene, did u not read my list of released 70's material? We don't have much from TROUBLE or Raised on Rock. That is a fact.

really? ok, we got a GREAT alt. of T-R-O-U-B-L-E (take 1) on 6363 Sunset and 8 released outtakes from "Raised on Rock"! there's no alt of the title track, as most of u know and "Just a Little Bit" was a first take, so i ask, how many more decent outtakes could be possibly left from these, otherwise, doomed sessions? would they be decent enough to fill out a whole disc on a major box set?

Oh your example of Separate Ways chart placing is petty.

that, my friend, is FACT! if it wasn't much of a hit THEN, why would it generate enough interest NOW on a box set? that was the original discussion here, the box set, remember? and another thing, cisco said, 1971, not 1972,'70,'73,'74 etc etc....

What

Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:18 am

I cannot believe that we are going to be getting a full concert from EOT and people are complaining because they are not getting a CD full of alternate takes. To borrow a phrase from one of our more sensible posters on this board...

------It never ceases to amaze me-----------

Tony