All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:41 pm

Jules and a few others made some controversial choices.

I bet the '50s have some dogs we could have lived without:

"Lonesome Cowboy" (I used to like it but...)
"Steadfast, Loyal & True"
"I Love You Because" (for historical reasons only does it get a free pass)
"We're Gonna Move" (and other Civil War ditties..)
"Old Shep" ....


If nothing else, I give such songs plenty of rest ...

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:05 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Jules and a few others made some controversial choices.

I bet the '50s have some dogs we could have lived without:

"Lonesome Cowboy" (I used to like it but...)
"Steadfast, Loyal & True"
"I Love You Because" (for historical reasons only does it get a free pass)
"We're Gonna Move" (and other Civil War ditties..)
"Old Shep" ....


If nothing else, I give such songs plenty of rest ...


The only reason Elvis sang 'Steadfast Loyal and True' was cause it was to do with the film.
Elvis sang 'Steadfast' cause they had to have a boring song so it could lead on to Elvis to sing'Trouble'.
So if Elvis hadnt sung that, the film wouldnt have made sense. :roll:

Sean

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:17 pm

In the 50's Cole Porter's TRUE LOVE

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:36 pm

Songs I wish Elvis had never recorded are:

1. The Love Machine

2. Blueberry Hill

3. You'll Be Gone

4. Blue River

5. Tell Me Why

6. My Wish Came True

7. Long Legged Girl

By the way, I love 'Queenie Wahine's Papaya; Mama Like The Roses and Raised On Rock.

Just goes to show that someone's favourite is someones nightmare.


Brian :D

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:39 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Songs I wish Elvis had never recorded are:
6. My Wish Came True


An incredible song!

Tom

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:44 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Songs I wish Elvis had never recorded are:
6. My Wish Came True


An incredible song!

Tom

And Elvis must have liked it, still playing around with it in 1970, during rehearsals for "That's The Way It Is" (July 15)

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:59 pm

My Wish Came True was one of the very first Elvis songs that I just loved from the first time I heard. The combination of a great ballad, Elvis' lead vocals and Millie Kirkham's incredible soprano back up make this a classic, in my opinion.

Tom

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:27 pm

Marco Aurelio wrote:Maybe you all are going to kill me, but I like "Old Macdonald" :oops: :oops:


Marco, you may consider yourself as not being part of our family anymore!! :lol:
Oh God....he is my brother and I´m really concerned :lol:

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:38 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Songs I wish Elvis had never recorded are:
6. My Wish Came True


An incredible song!

Tom


The song's not bad but the backing singers overpower Elvis' voice at times.


Brian

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:45 pm

Raised On Rock is a good song but does not make a bit of sense hearing Elvis sing that he grew up listening to Hound Dog and Johnnie B. Goode.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:21 pm

That's All Right

Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:23 pm

Lady Madonna

Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:44 pm

Spellbinder wrote:That's All Right


:roll:

Sean Ryan wrote:
The only reason Elvis sang 'Steadfast Loyal and True' was cause it was to do with the film.
Elvis sang 'Steadfast' cause they had to have a boring song so it could lead on to Elvis to sing'Trouble'.
So if Elvis hadnt sung that, the film wouldnt have made sense. :roll:

Sean



Don't take it personally, friend. Of course, as a fan of the movie,
I know that. But by the same rationale, we should excuse all the movie soundtrack material of the '60s because, "after all, So if Elvis hadnt sung that, the film wouldnt have made sense."

I actually think "Steadfast, Loyal and True" is effective in the film, even affecting without it.
But all told, such numbers do add up as a detraction when you're
reviewing him merely as a "recording artist."

By the way, I've never been that fond of "Playing For Keeps" or especially
"My Wish Came True" but some have pointed out the the wonders
of these songs. I do like his voice on these. The bass on "Keeps"
is nice, too. You can have the background singers on "Wish" though!
:lol:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:15 pm

1 - CONFIDENCE !!!
2- Queniie...
3-Old MC
4- Yoga is
5- He´s your uncle...

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:26 pm

Old Macdonald

Confidence

Padre

Datin

Petunia the gardeners daughter

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:27 am

The song's not bad but the backing singers overpower Elvis' voice at times.


Brian[/quote]

Brian Quim, you really are dim. 'My Wish Came True' is a classic. It's the backing vocals that make it. El loved those soaring sopranos - Millie in the '50s, Kathy in the '70s.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:21 am

old macdonald
ito eats
yoga is as yoga does
a dog's life
you can't rhumba in a sports car
confendience
dominck
the walls have ears
song of the shrimp
barefoot ballad
three corn patches
the biggest part of the 1962-1968 soundtrack recordings
imagine if he would have toured during this period instead of wasting time on fluff movies.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:08 am

Tits McGhee wrote:
The song's not bad but the backing singers overpower Elvis' voice at times.


Brian


Brian Quim, you really are dim. 'My Wish Came True' is a classic. It's the backing vocals that make it. El loved those soaring sopranos - Millie in the '50s, Kathy in the '70s.[/quote]

Tits has a nice point. ( :oops: )

Tom

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:23 am

I've come around to appreciating MY WISH CAME TRUE but there's
a reason why it landed on one of those Army-era Lps of leftovers.

Of his stellar, nearly-beyond-criticism '50s catalog, this is at least
one that can be called an "acquired taste."

Does the "dreck" of the '50s outrank that of other decades?

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:23 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:'My Wish Came True' is a classic.


Absolutely!

I loved that song from the moment I first heard it many moons ago.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:27 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I've come around to appreciating MY WISH CAME TRUE but there's
a reason why it landed on one of those Army-era Lps of leftovers.



?????

My Wish Came True was the B side of A Big Hunk O' Love.

The only fifties album it appeared on was Gold Records vol 2.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:30 am

That is a trueism. This be the one.

Image

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:37 am

Sean Ryan wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Jules and a few others made some controversial choices.

I bet the '50s have some dogs we could have lived without:

"Lonesome Cowboy" (I used to like it but...)
"Steadfast, Loyal & True"
"I Love You Because" (for historical reasons only does it get a free pass)
"We're Gonna Move" (and other Civil War ditties..)
"Old Shep" ....


If nothing else, I give such songs plenty of rest ...


The only reason Elvis sang 'Steadfast Loyal and True' was cause it was to do with the film.
Elvis sang 'Steadfast' cause they had to have a boring song so it could lead on to Elvis to sing'Trouble'.
So if Elvis hadnt sung that, the film wouldnt have made sense. :roll:

Sean


Well it wasn't included because they had to have a boring song. It was chosen because it was his school song. To see Danny sing his school song for an audience of thugs in a dodgy club perfectly fitted in with and advanced the plot.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:44 am

Rob wrote:That is a trueism. This be the one.

Image



what an album :!:

That was the first Elvis Lp I bought in the, then, new cd format back in the 80's... :D

Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:20 am

mama liked the roses?
fool?

fool is a good song, and mama liked the roses is a hauntingly beautiful song i'm sure he offered as a tribute to his late mother

songs i'll add

going home
stay away

his finest sessions, and this crap?