3-Old MC
4- Yoga is
5- He´s your uncle...
Exactly my list....and and on the sixth place "ITO EATS"

Regards Björn

Hammer
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Hammer »

Rob wrote:Whew! I feel so much better about you now.
:lol: Now I'm all chipper as well :wink:

familyjules
Registered for: 19 years

Post by familyjules »

Hammer wrote: They could be nice guys, I don't know about that. I'm just not too fond of hippies and the hippie-movement and the Beales were much involved in that
I meant that no-talent entertainers might be nice guys, I didn't mean The Beatles - I don't think it's even relevant whether they were nice or not.

You're not fond of the hippie movement? Jeez, is that still an issue for you? Get over it - it was 40 years ago. They left a great book of songs - it'd be a shame for you not to enjoy the music because of some age-old cultural prejudice.

Jules

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I take pot-shots at the excesses of the '60s (and the self-involved
nostalgia of baby boomers like Jan Wenner of ROLLING STONE magazine
who tend to sleight '50s rock -and Elvis- plus their knee-jerk snobbism towards popular non-rock music ) but I still have to give
credit to the '60s rock or "hippies," if must... :lol: There was some great
music ("The Beatles, the Beards, etc...") :wink:

Good point, Jules.

At this point, getting on topic, I'm sort of glad Elvis recorded everything he
did. It happened. Learn to love it. :shock:

It's sort of like asking a parent about which kids she loves the most...
and the least...Even the mutts are "family" ...
:lol:

Another late add that I'm getting tired of hearing in the live imports:

"If You Love Me (Let Me Know)"

I'm fine with the album version and a few live versions, but wish
it hadn't been a staple live. Just too pedestrian.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Not even Elvis loved a lot of stuff he recorded. So why should we? He even wrote or spoke to people at RCA not to release Dominic.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

JLGB wrote:Not even Elvis loved a lot of stuff he recorded. So why should we? He even wrote or spoke to people at RCA not to release Dominic.
Cnversely, there were songs Elvis like that aren't faves of mine. "My Wish Came True" comes to mind.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote: They could be nice guys, I don't know about that. I'm just not too fond of hippies and the hippie-movement and the Beales were much involved in that
I meant that no-talent entertainers might be nice guys, I didn't mean The Beatles - I don't think it's even relevant whether they were nice or not.

You're not fond of the hippie movement? Jeez, is that still an issue for you? Get over it - it was 40 years ago. They left a great book of songs - it'd be a shame for you not to enjoy the music because of some age-old cultural prejudice.

Jules
They're still around and I dislike their general attitude and the fact that they mix music (which is one of the best things in life) with politics (which is one of the most awful things in life)
Jeroen

Mike DK
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike DK »

He should not have recorded about 80% of the movie-songs he did in the 60's. What a waste of talent. Just imagine the great records he could have made......

familyjules

Post by familyjules »

Hammer wrote:They're still around and I dislike their general attitude and the fact that they mix music (which is one of the best things in life) with politics (which is one of the most awful things in life)
Jeroen
Jeroen, all human life is politics!

Lyrics in song can embrace all aspects of human life. To limit that to the shallow and the ephemeral seems to me to be a great shame.

Why the need to compartmentalise life? It's all one experience.

How much of a hippie do I sound now? :lol:

Jules

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote:They're still around and I dislike their general attitude and the fact that they mix music (which is one of the best things in life) with politics (which is one of the most awful things in life)
Jeroen
Jeroen, all human life is politics!

Lyrics in song can embrace all aspects of human life. To limit that to the shallow and the ephemeral seems to me to be a great shame.

Why the need to compartmentalise life? It's all one experience.

How much of a hippie do I sound now? :lol:

Jules
:lol: :lol: :lol: Indeed you hippie! j/k!

I hope not everything in life is politics and I believe that a lot of music is about feelings, having fun, being crazy and true emotions....all things that have nothing to do with politics (damn that sounds pretty hippie as well) :wink:

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Mike DK wrote:He should not have recorded about 80% of the movie-songs he did in the 60's. What a waste of talent. Just imagine the great records he could have made......
In a way I agree. BUT think of the talent he displayed in makeing even the worst of the drivel at least listenable. Anyone else would drowned.

familyjules

Post by familyjules »

Hammer wrote:I hope not everything in life is politics and I believe that a lot of music is about feelings, having fun, being crazy and true emotions....all things that have nothing to do with politics (damn that sounds pretty hippie as well) :wink:
Feelings, having fun and true emotions - well a lot of that would come under sexual politics! Heh.

Jules

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote:I hope not everything in life is politics and I believe that a lot of music is about feelings, having fun, being crazy and true emotions....all things that have nothing to do with politics (damn that sounds pretty hippie as well) :wink:
Feelings, having fun and true emotions - well a lot of that would come under sexual politics! Heh.

Jules
:lol: .......see now we're finally getting somewhere :wink:

familyjules

Post by familyjules »

Hammer wrote:
familyjules wrote:

Jules
I think there was a British group from the 1960s who wrote a lot about sexual politics.....oh yes - The Beatles!

Jules

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

familyjules wrote:
Hammer wrote:
familyjules wrote:

Jules
I think there was a British group from the 1960s who wrote a lot about sexual politics.....oh yes - The Beatles!

Jules
:lol: :lol: Damn.....you got me again!!!

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Mike -

You wrote:
He should not have recorded about 80% of the movie-songs he did in the 60's.
What a waste of talent.
Just imagine the great records he could have made......
Hmmm.................

For me, he started going off the rails even before the 60's soundtracks took over.

The material selected for Pot Luck & Something For Everybody was becoming a bit 'middle-of-the-road' for old rockers like me.

After the promise of Elvis Is Back, which touched on many different musical genres, he seemed to settle for a rather bland repertoire on these, his last two studio albums before the film stuff got its stranglehold on his output.

Not rock, not blues, not even good commercial 'pop'.

Instead we got stuff like Kiss Me Quick and Gently - not really such bad songs but simply music without balls !

Whether his material would have toughened up with his next studio album we never found out; the soundtracks dominated for most of the 60's.

Right at the end of the decade, he started getting 'on message' again with things like Guitar Man, and with the '69 American Sound Studio session he was back at the top of his form.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Colin, you remind me of the original impression about some of those
early '60s sides, most of which I finally hear only years later.
(Growing up, I could tell some of those were going to be sort of lame
by the bland LP covers of the time, that is, the King minus his sideburns, and no longer as thin as 1960...)

In time, sets like "From Nashville To Memphis" (the '60s box) have restored the lustre
of this brand of pop.
In fact, that one disc on there that covers this period was the one that introduced me to some of those tunes.
I appreciate this poppy side of Elvis and I bet
Likethebike could stick up for these sides.

Still, he did go awfully "pretty" there for awhile. And it was some of the
movie soundtracks that kept the "rocker" alive, relatively speaking.

Okay, what do you think, say, of "You'll Be Gone"?

I love it.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

ColinB wrote:Mike -

You wrote:
He should not have recorded about 80% of the movie-songs he did in the 60's.
What a waste of talent.
Just imagine the great records he could have made......
Hmmm.................

For me, he started going off the rails even before the 60's soundtracks took over.

The material selected for Pot Luck & Something For Everybody was becoming a bit 'middle-of-the-road' for old rockers like me.

After the promise of Elvis Is Back, which touched on many different musical genres, he seemed to settle for a rather bland repertoire on these, his last two studio albums before the film stuff got its stranglehold on his output.

Instead we got stuff like Kiss Me Quick and Gently - not really such bad songs but simply music without balls !

Whether his material would have toughened up with his next studio album we never found out; the soundtracks dominated for most of the 60's.

Right at the end of the decade, he started getting 'on message' again with things like Guitar Man, and with the '69 American Sound Studio session he was back at the top of his form.
Unfortunately Kiss Me Quick is probably the most well known song in Brazil. Not a bad song at all but when you see a fat impersonator using glasses, using jumpsuits and dancing like a mongol singing this song sometimes makes you want to cry :cry:

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Sounds bloody awful!
Actually, I'm glad Elvis did pop numbers like that!

He had terrific range!

So embrace songs like "Heart of Rome" like so many of us do,
Colin! :D

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Greg -

You wrote:
Okay, what do you think, say, of "You'll Be Gone"?
It's one of the finest songs Elvis ever wrote [well, co-composed].

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

ColinB wrote:

I have to disagree with you Colin. There was plenty of good commercial pop and pop-rock on both singles and albums in the post EIB! period: His Latest Flame/Little Sister; Return to Sender; Good Luck Charm; She's Not You; Devil In Disguise; Witchcraft; Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello; King of the Whole Wide World; I Want You With Me; I Feel So Bad; Put The Blame On Me; Gonna Get Back Home Somehow; Night Rider; Such An Easy Question; Long Lonely Highway. There was also the many classy ballads of the period, particularly the Don Robertson tunes. While it's true the 'ballsiness' by & large disappeared in the early 60's, there were still some relatively tough tracks here & there such as Little Sister; I Want You With Me; I Feel So Bad and Witchcraft.
As for Gently, it's really just a re-write of Love Me Tender (and Elvis did LMT during his 'King of r&r heyday).
But Kiss Me Quick is pretty bland!

Gregory Nolan Jr.

I guess the "ballsiness" criteria is a good way to win arguments.
I'm all for the more raw, bluesy, rocking Elvis.

But those early '60s tracks Pete cites can be quite good if you
put on "different ears."

I've "forgiven" songs like "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello"
and "Gently"...

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Songs I wish E had NOT recorded...

Post by jurasic1968 »

in the 50's: True Love, Blue Moon, Lonesome Cowboy, I love you because.
in the 60's: Dominic, Ito Eats, No room to rhumba in a sports car, Barefoot ballad, The walls have years, Big boots, How would you like to be, Yoga is as yoga does, It's carnival time, Beach schack, Have a happy, Queenie wahine's papaya, Datin', He's your uncle, not your dad, Old Mc Donald,Confidence, Clambake, Mirage, Kismet, Petunia, the gardener's daughter.
in the 70's: Padre, Love song of the year, Hey Jude, Life, Heart of Rome, It's Impossible, I can help, This is our dance, Never again.

dannyboy8377
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Songs I wish E had NOT recorded...

Post by dannyboy8377 »

None at all. Today we seek and expect new songs, alternate takes, home recordings,How can I not wish that has not recorded any song. ???
Any song that comes from Elvis Presley voice is always something special.
I do not mind either Ernst or any ,find 20 new songs and be like old mac donald, confidence or whatever :D

showfan
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Re:

Post by showfan »

Juan Luis wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:06 pm
I liked Old MacDonald because I heard it first as a kid. And I did insert Have a Happy on one of my kids birthday party videos. He loved it.
That’s my experience with CONFIDENCE. I saw Clambake when I was quite young. While I realize the movie and song aren’t masterpieces, they bring back childhood memories and have a special place with me.