Old man scene in Elvis On Tour?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Leo
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Old man scene in Elvis On Tour?

Post by Leo »

In what city was that cilp filmed of the old man in Elvis On Tour? You know the one in the freight elevator?

But if you think I'm nervous.....you're right.

ElvisAhlgren
Registered for: 20 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by ElvisAhlgren »

This scene is hilarious! The old man don't know how to describe what Elvis does so it would sound exciting so he says the same thing again very slow like he was talking to a foreigner who doesn't speak English.

The editors (Scorsese?) must have found this very funny themselves and therefore included it. They could have made this much shorter or even excluded it completely if they wanted to so this was made on purpose.

I hope we get the original version on DVD as well as a special edition with more Elvis in it.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

It wasn't Scorsese, he was responsible for working on the montage split screen synchronisation clips. I can't recall who the main editor was, though.

I've been watching that scene the past few days, it's like he didn't want to let out such a secret and was playing the role of being the most vague person in the world. "Well he just comes on in and goes up to his room" Brilliant :lol:

Marko

Post by Marko »

I hope they include on the EOT SE all the outtakes of this guy and other old timers they intervied in the hotels. Also, the guy who presents Elvis with the key to city in the plane is fantastic. I'm hoping to see a lot more footage of him. I say screw the rehersal and concert footage. Give us more old guys. :lol:
Last edited by Marko on Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

scotch
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by scotch »

I don't know if you are serious or nor Marko but the old men in Elvis On Tour have always been a guilty pleasure for me. There are so funny! The mayor on the plane saying "the girls in the office" said Elvis didn't play guitar. Funny stuff, Elvis is priceless in that scene.

The old man on the elevator adds nothing to the actual movie, but I want to see the extended version of his explanation as a bonus feature or else!

OnTourCam

Old man interview this is what i can't understand guys

Post by OnTourCam »

HI

I love Elvis on Tour masterpiece but what i can't understand and it's been playing on my mind for years is this....

If your going to have this scene in the movie why on bloody earth wouldn't you then show either after the old man interview or later in the movie what his talking about ???

Elvis walking into the place and getting past the crowd...

now i'm thinking it might be in the movie just before the san antonio show his walking up the stairs into this concert arena ...

this might be knoxville afternoon show and doesn't Elvis look so perfect i would love to know if this show was filmed.

I heard that it was going to be recorded on soundboard but the equipment caught on fire ???

anyway

Cameron

Marko

Post by Marko »

scotch wrote:I don't know if you are serious or nor Marko but the old men in Elvis On Tour have always been a guilty pleasure for me. There are so funny! The mayor on the plane saying "the girls in the office" said Elvis didn't play guitar. Funny stuff, Elvis is priceless in that scene.

The old man on the elevator adds nothing to the actual movie, but I want to see the extended version of his explanation as a bonus feature or else!
Whiskey,

Yes, they're funny indeed! They're in the movie because Elvis needed a sex symbol for the medicare group.

But seriously I hope they release the movie as it is in the dvd with the bonus stuff as extra.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Marco Aurelio
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Marco Aurelio »

Marko wrote:I hope they include on the EOT SE all the outtakes of this guy and other old timers they intervied in the hotels. Also, the guy who presents Elvis with the key to city in the plane is fantastic. I'm hoping to see a lot more footage of him. I say screw the rehersal and concert footage. Give us more old guys. :lol:
I agree with you Marko... Please include all the 15 old men in the 15 different cities.... It´s missing 14! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How many stars are in the sky ???? I´LL NEVER KNOW!

Rob

Post by Rob »

scotch wrote:The old man on the elevator adds nothing to the actual movie, but I want to see the extended version of his explanation as a bonus feature or else!
For anyone interested, the "old man" passed away in 1965. MGM thought that it would be a nice touch to have his body exhumed for use in the movie.

Under the circumstances he did a pretty good job.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Re: Old man scene in Elvis On Tour?

Post by Renan »

Leo wrote:In what city was that cilp filmed of the old man in Elvis On Tour? You know the one in the freight elevator?
Dayton Ohio

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

In the freigh elevator is Buffalo (April 5th).
The old man with 130 years old is now a classic! :roll: :roll:

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Kristian Hjelmaas

Post by Kristian Hjelmaas »

Who was this old man, really?

I seem to remember that he says in this clip that he's from Elvis' hometown, or something..?

I can't remember if he says Tupelo or Memphis, though..?

Anyone knows his name?
Was he in some way connected to Elvis?

Br
Kristian

just curious... :lol:

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Who was this old man, really? I seem to remember that he says in this clip that he's from Elvis' hometown, or something..? I can't remember if he says Tupelo or Memphis, though..?
I can't be sure without seeing the scene again, but I don't think he says Memphis or Tupelo. I just recall him saying something like, "I was raised in his hometown," or "I was born and raised in his hometown."

I felt kinda sorry for that dude. The guys are badgering the old-timer for details which must have seemed ridiculous to him. He had that puzzled look on his face, as if to say, "You want to know what?"

Steve_M

Re: Old man interview this is what i can't understand guys

Post by Steve_M »

OnTourCam wrote:If your going to have this scene in the movie why on bloody earth wouldn't you then show either after the old man interview or later in the movie what his talking about ???

Elvis walking into the place and getting past the crowd...
They did show Elvis getting into that very freight elevator the 306 year old guy didn't want to let on about.

The lighting was very different and it was not easy to recognise it as even being the same place.

As for the "I was raised in his home town" line, well that would have been at the turn of the last century and has nothing to do with the question which was , "What do you know about Elvis Presley?"

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

The city was Dayton, Ohio. This was silly and stupid and should not have been included. It added nothing to the movie. A waste of film.

Kingtiger0321

Post by Kingtiger0321 »

I'm really pi$$ed, I mean Warner is sitting on outtakes of this, Imagine how hard the old man had to rehearse before being filmed. I mean what would have happened if he said the doors opened the other way? or worse, there was only 1 door? It would have thrown the whole film off.

Random qoutes:

"I'll be dog gone Nick! Your house done blowed up, s'on fire too!" - Elvis

"You fed them DOG FOOD! How Dare!!!!" - "Paradise, Hawaiian style"

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

The old guy scene from ELVIS ON TOUR is, I'll admit, funny at times, annoying at others, but it is absolutely much better than that horrid lookin' dude from the original TTWII wearing those dark goggles or bifocals, threatin' that if he didn't like what he saw of the filmed project, he would write them (The Producers) a dirty little letter... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

minkahed wrote:The old guy scene from ELVIS ON TOUR is, I'll admit, funny at times, annoying at others, but it is absolutely much better than that horrid lookin' dude from the original TTWII wearing those dark goggles or bifocals, threatin' that if he didn't like what he saw of the filmed project, he would write them (The Producers) a dirty little letter... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Did you get a reply to your letter :?:

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Marko

Post by Marko »

Speaking of people interviewed in these Elvis movies and tv-specials. I've always though that the guy interviewed in Elvis In Concert CBS-special was funny ("He's human you know") but I seriously though he ought get some help for himself. Some of the gals they interviewed there were quite nice looking. I always fancied the nurse :oops:.

The lesbians with the cat in TTWII are a turn off. A newspaper critic said something in the line of that if the purpose of TTWII is to show how stupid Elvis-fans are then it succeeds in it's mission. I agree.

Rob

Post by Rob »

KiwiAlan wrote:
minkahed wrote:The old guy scene from ELVIS ON TOUR is, I'll admit, funny at times, annoying at others, but it is absolutely much better than that horrid lookin' dude from the original TTWII wearing those dark goggles or bifocals, threatin' that if he didn't like what he saw of the filmed project, he would write them (The Producers) a dirty little letter... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Man, that's just wrong.

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

That old bastard in EOT should of been beaten to an inch of his life, by none other, then Red and Sonny West! Can you just imagine the scene (I'm pissing myself laughing whilst I am typing this!) where the old pr!ck is down in that poor excuse of an elevator, getting his head kicked in lol (the old guy be saying, "but I was raised in his hometown.......")!

Rob

Post by Rob »

thefunkyangel wrote:That old bastard
the old pr!ck
And to think that he is somebody's Grandpa.

I'll bet you have a blast when talking to your Grandparents.

How are you doing today, Granny? You old dried up bitch!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

KiwiAlan wrote:

I wasn't born yet douchebag...

...but, since we all know what an old dried up prune you are Kiwi, maybe it was really YOU in that scene?

I'm putting $$$ on it that you look as attractive as that dude in the movie... :lol:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

I have it on good authority that it was Colin.

Eagle

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Eagle -

Actually, it wasn't me.

But don't you agree that he came out of it with more dignity than the interviewer ?

He tries his best to answer some damn fool questions !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire