All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Who laid down the best Elvis guitar riff?

Johnny B.Goode - James Burton
6
11%
Hound Dog - Scotty Moore
17
30%
Heartbreak Hotel - Scotty Moore
4
7%
Steamroller Blues - James Burton
2
4%
I'm Coming Home - Hank Garland
3
5%
Mystery Train / Tiger Man - James Burton
8
14%
Jailhouse Rock - Scotty Moore
3
5%
I Need Your Love Tonight - Hank Garland
0
No votes
Blue Suede Shoes - James Burton
2
4%
Mystery Train - Scotty Moore
12
21%
 
Total votes : 57

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:39 am

Never Been To Spain
James Burton
Feb. '72

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:15 am

Baby, Let's Play House - Like A Baby - It feels So Right - Guitar Man - Promissed Land.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:12 am

I'm Left You're Right She's Gone
Baby Let's Play House
M. Train
Hound Dog
Jailhouse Rock
One Night
Reconsider Baby
Little Sister
Guitar Man
Big Boss Man
J.B.Goode
Baby What Do You Want Me To Do (long improvised version) Elvis
I Can help
I Wash My Hand In Muddy Water
Merry Christmas Baby
Faded Love
Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On
Steamroller Blues
Promised Land
Way Down
Old Mac Donald :D

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:55 pm

None of those listed. My vote goes to "Too Much"--Scotty Moore.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:08 pm

there are a lot:
the opening for the great studio hit: SUSPICIOUS MINDS 1969
AINT THAT LOVING YOU BABY 1958
READDY TEDDY 1956
ANYPLACE IS PARADISE 1956
DIRTY DIRTY FEELING 1960
LITTLE SISTER 1961
BIG BOSS MAN - 1967 this one is great, hard to play!
GUITAR MAN 1967
JOHNNY B. GOOD 1969 ( live + studio from 1970)
And finally there is a very good playing on the ROUSTABOUT song 8)
sincerely
LIOR

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:05 pm

Two of the wildest solos on any Elvis record are the one's on Shake, Rattle & Roll. Scotty burns those suckers up!

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:56 pm

James' solo during "Reconsider Baby" 21/2'77 rulez....

Cheers, RJ

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:51 am

Definitely Hound Dog

among other good moments that were not yet mentioned I like the opening riff in Slowly But Surely

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:01 am

Narek wrote:Definitely Hound Dog

among other good moments that were not yet mentioned I like the opening riff in Slowly But Surely


Scotty seems suffert from inexperience playing distortion guitar and pedal...

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:21 am

JerryNodak wrote:None of those listed. My vote goes to "Too Much"--Scotty Moore.


Fully agree here. It is probably the only one he improvised and didn't follow the lead sheet. Perhaps with exception of Hound Dog where he translated the Bell Boys horns.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:07 pm

Erhan wrote:
Narek wrote:Definitely Hound Dog

among other good moments that were not yet mentioned I like the opening riff in Slowly But Surely


Scotty seems suffert from inexperience playing distortion guitar and pedal...


Are you so sure its Scotty playing that line in Slowly But Surely, doesn't sound like him.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:11 pm

If we are talking guitar solo's... Heartbreak Hotel or Hound Dog.

If we are talking riff's... Little Sister.

Most seem to be talking guitar solo's though.

and what about...

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:48 pm

hi,

loads of goodies on here but I have always preferred Hank and JB to Scotty. I think Scotty was definately ahead of his time it's just that I listen to the 60 and 70's more than the 50's material.

Therefore, I would go for Hank's riff on Little Sister from the early 60's. Then I'm torn between Mystery Train/Tiger Man - great work not just in the solos but all though the track (listen to the last couple of verses). The break in What'd Say is awesome - JB must have been knackered after that!

I also like another two in particular, one already mentioned is Never Been To Spain Feb 72 - I just love the tone on this one (Memphis Blues Chords so a guitar playing friend of mine tells me). JB's work on the MSG evening show is also top notch. Finally, one not yet mentioned - Faded Love. The mix on the import "whole lotta shaking going on" has JB way up front and it is a great solo as Elvis gives him room to play. It doesn't come across so well on the Essential Elvis BMG release as he is a bit back in the mix.

cheers Jamie

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:29 pm

Matthew wrote:
Erhan wrote:
Narek wrote:Definitely Hound Dog

among other good moments that were not yet mentioned I like the opening riff in Slowly But Surely


Scotty seems suffert from inexperience playing distortion guitar and pedal...


Are you so sure its Scotty playing that line in Slowly But Surely, doesn't sound like him.


No I'm not really sure he could be Jerry Kennedy or Grady Martin...

Re: and what about...

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Jamie wrote:hi,

loads of goodies on here but I have always preferred Hank and JB to Scotty. I think Scotty was definately ahead of his time it's just that I listen to the 60 and 70's more than the 50's material.

Therefore, I would go for Hank's riff on Little Sister from the early 60's. Then I'm torn between Mystery Train/Tiger Man - great work not just in the solos but all though the track (listen to the last couple of verses). The break in What'd Say is awesome - JB must have been knackered after that!

I also like another two in particular, one already mentioned is Never Been To Spain Feb 72 - I just love the tone on this one (Memphis Blues Chords so a guitar playing friend of mine tells me). JB's work on the MSG evening show is also top notch. Finally, one not yet mentioned - Faded Love. The mix on the import "whole lotta shaking going on" has JB way up front and it is a great solo as Elvis gives him room to play. It doesn't come across so well on the Essential Elvis BMG release as he is a bit back in the mix.

cheers Jamie

James Burton's style very minimalist so Eddie Hinton and Jerry Stembridge were playing guitars on "Faded Love" and "whole lotta shaking going on" recording not J.B...

is that right!

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:32 am

Erhan,

is that right? I was sure it was JB on Faded Love. It certainly sounded like it - I just thought it been given a bit more room to experiment with the break.

Jamie