What 3 songs would you choose to cover for an Elvis tribute?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ekenee »

Singing badly??? I think not.

But it seems that he over-rehearsed or over worked his voice. He does sound a bit horse on some songs but it works too for many songs.

I don't think "If I can dream" would be the same without the raspyness. I think this song was rough on his throat. Perhaps that's why he never sang it again.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

In the 69 special Elvis sings the rockers with the kind of hard-edged intensity that he hadn't really used since the 50's. Granted there's a few 'off' performances (Heartbreak Hotel during the sit-down shows), but he's absolutely ferocious on the majority of the rock stuff. And If I Can Dream just wouldn't be the same without the raw voiced approach, which gives it much of it's power.
But on the ballads Love Me Tender; Can't Help Falling In Love; and Memories his voice sounds rich and polished. These renditions are all beautiful. Personally, I'll take the '68 version of LMT over the crudely recorded original anyday.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Pete -

You wrote:
Personally, I'll take the '68 version of LMT over the crudely recorded original anyday.
Yes, on the ballads his voice holds up, but it's when he turns on the power that a roughness shows through.

Not a controlled 'rough edge' like on the original Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock, but an involuntary hoarseness, like he has a sore throat.

Occasionally, on songs like If I Can Dream this adds a certain something to the performance.

But mostly it just grates, especially on an 'audio-only' presentation.

As I said, more a visual treat than an aural one !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

see-see-rider

Post by see-see-rider »

ColinB wrote:Pete -

You wrote:
Personally, I'll take the '68 version of LMT over the crudely recorded original anyday.
Yes, on the ballads his voice holds up, but it's when he turns on the power that a roughness shows through.

Not a controlled 'rough edge' like on the original Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock, but an involuntary hoarseness, like he has a sore throat.
You're absolutely right here IMO.

Keggyhander
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Keggyhander »

Disc 2 of the "Memories" CD set sounds absolutely attrocious.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

elvisjnr wrote:somebody said that trying toi get to you, only Elvis can do justice. i tried the note last night on WHEN I READ YOUR LOVIN LETTEEER!, god it sounded so cool. my voice soared and at the end of TER!, there was a hiccup which sounded really cool that Elvis could do

'
That's not the part that causes difficulties. It's the end of each chorus that sucks if you get it wrong, ie 'really love me true ooooh oooh etc'.

As for Jailhouse Rock in the 68 special, it's sung lower than the original. He moves it down slightly to the key of D.

elvisjnr
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by elvisjnr »

oh TJ, i can do that bit too, but not as good as Elvis. the whole song is quite hard to sing though i must admit

ps: TJ, i'm having the time of my life with your backing tracks! :lol:

we want Elvis! we want Elvis! we want Elvis on tour!

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

The thing to bear in mind about the '68 special is that Elvis hadn't worked his voice to that degree since the 50's. Over the course of just several days there were rehearsals, recording sessions, and 4 live shows. That's why his voice has a hoarse, somewhat strained quality on much of the material. But he was also really pushing his voice by (arguably) singing harder than he ever had before. This hard-driving vocal approach enhances numbers like Lawdy Miss Clawdy; Trying To Get To You; and One Night. The performances of these 3 songs are for me the high points of the whole project.

Elvis' Babe
Registered for: 20 years
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

imo, that's the way it is, elvis on tour, aloha, and even elvis in concert have some better singing performances than the '68 special. as far as singing quality, it's one of the worst, also in my opinion. i like his voice best when it was smooth. though lawdy, ttgty, lmt, one night, if i can dream, etc...were impressive. as was the trouble intro. but overall his voice was not in good form.

absolutely stunning eye-candy though. :shock: though i personally found him even more beautiful in the concha and chain suits in ttwii. i liked his hair when it got a little longer and moppy.

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

Keggyhander
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Keggyhander »

Elvis' Babe wrote:though i personally found him even more beautiful in the concha and chain suits in ttwii. i liked his hair when it got a little longer and moppy.
100% agree.

I'm a 100% straight male and even I think he looks tremendous when his hair falls out of place at the end of "I Got A Woman" :shock: