What 3 songs would you choose to cover for an Elvis tribute?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Pete Dube »

If you're doing an Elvis tribute it only makes sense to do songs that are readily identifiable as Elvis songs by the general public. My suggestion would be to do one number from each decade. 50's: Hound Dog or Jailhouse Rock. 60's: Can't Help Falling In Love. 70's: Suspicious Minds (I know this technically isn't a 70's recording, but it's the one song most representative of the 'modern' Elvis period). You could also segue into a big finale, going right from Suspicious Minds into the final chorus of American Trilogy.

Personally, I would not do tunes like Polk Salad Annie; Big Boss Man; Let Me Be There; and My Way as these are not songs the general public readily associate with Elvis.

see-see-rider

Post by see-see-rider »

However, never start with Suspicious Minds or something from that league ...

familyjules
Registered for: 19 years

Post by familyjules »

see-see-rider wrote:However, never start with Suspicious Minds or something from that league ...
Because...?

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

The band I sing with does the following Elvis tunes:

All Shook Up
Suspicious Minds
Little Sister
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Stuck On You
Green Grass Of Home
Loving You
One Night
Don't Be Cruel

And not really considered Elvis tunes but...
Sweet Caroline
Johnny B. Goode

We recently recorded a CD with all the proceeds going toward breast cancer research.
Actually 80% of the gigs that we do the money goes for breast cancer research - WICC
(Women in Insurance Cancer Crusade).

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Never do American Trilogy as it is associated with not so much the better of the crap inpersonhaters but also the worse of the worse type where it really should be a criminal offense.

And you don't wanna be associated with them. :wink:

Keggyhander
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Keggyhander »

In my experience, the most consistently popular Elvis songs are:

Suspicious Minds

In The Ghetto

Wonder Of You

I Just Can't Help Believin

Viva Las Vegas

American Trilogy.

Bridge Over Troubled Water

------------------------

Do not attempt "trilogy" unless you can get near 90% of Elvis on it.

The rest can be made your own.

One poster mentioned "Just Pretend". Don't bother- it's harder to get right than "trilogy".

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

You could try "that's all right mama" and segue into "blue moon of kentucky". They are both in key of "A" and both sides of the first record. And that does stretch it into a 4 minute or so thing.

" baby I don't care" is one the all time goodies.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

elvis-fan wrote:The band I sing with does the following Elvis tunes:

All Shook Up
Suspicious Minds
Little Sister
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Stuck On You
Green Grass Of Home
Loving You
One Night
Don't Be Cruel

And not really considered Elvis tunes but...
Sweet Caroline
Johnny B. Goode

We recently recorded a CD with all the proceeds going toward breast cancer research.
Actually 80% of the gigs that we do the money goes for breast cancer research - WICC
(Women in Insurance Cancer Crusade).
BTW, we are NOT an Elvis tribute band... we have about 70 songs in our repertoire and these are the few E songs that we do...

Also, In The Ghetto is not a real good tune to do when you are playing for a group that likes
to dance as we do most, if not all the time... you can't dance to that one... period.

familyjules

Post by familyjules »

Keggyhander wrote:One poster mentioned "Just Pretend". Don't bother- it's harder to get right than "trilogy".
I find that very hard to believe....

Jules

Keggyhander

Post by Keggyhander »

familyjules wrote:
Keggyhander wrote:One poster mentioned "Just Pretend". Don't bother- it's harder to get right than "trilogy".
I find that very hard to believe....

Jules
Why? because Elvis made it look easy?

Let me tell you this: Trilogy is easy apart from the last note.
With Just pretend you've got three very difficult choruses, the last line of each requiring correct pitch, power, colour, tension, and breath placement.

It's taken me a year to perfect that song. Hurt and Impossible Dream took me a month each.

I would go so far as to say JUST PRETEND is the hardest of ALL Elvis's songs to sing WELL.

Anybody can murder it. I've seen some very good ETA's make a complete pig's ear of it. Singing it properly is a different ballgame.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

quote: I would go so far as to say JUST PRETEND is the hardest of ALL Elvis's songs to sing WELL.

I have to disagree here as well. It's difficulty factor is not even close to the below examples.

To me, "trying to get to you" has got to be a song that only elvis could do justice. I have never heard anyone do this good other than Elvis. He even mentions in a few shows that this is one tough song to sing.

Elvis' timeless recording of "One night"
hit version, has never been done justice other than Elvis' to me.

I will add the original arrangement of "jailhouse Rock" too. Very tough to sing.

Keggyhander

Post by Keggyhander »

ekenee wrote:quote: I would go so far as to say JUST PRETEND is the hardest of ALL Elvis's songs to sing WELL.

I have to disagree here as well. It's difficulty factor is not even close to the below examples.

To me, "trying to get to you" has got to be a song that only elvis could do justice. I have never heard anyone do this good other than Elvis. He even mentions in a few shows that this is one tough song to sing.

Elvis' timeless recording of "One night"
hit version, has never been done justice other than Elvis' to me.

I will add the original arrangement of "jailhouse Rock" too. Very tough to sing.
Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance towards the songs I don't know/care for. :oops:

I don't know "Trying To get To You" but I'm sure I've got it somewhere. I'll dig it out.

One Night. Hmm......I prefer the 1970 live arrangement, and that one IS easy to copy.

Jailhouse Rock. Completely forgot that one. Yes, that one is impossible to reproduce. I suspect that when it it was recorded it was spliced from different attempts because I don't think that voice can be sustained like that.

ElvisAhlgren
Registered for: 20 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by ElvisAhlgren »

That's All Right (well known Elvis classic that everybody likes)
Rubberneckin´ (works perfect when you got a dancing crowd)
Suspicious Minds (one of he most appreciated Elvis songs today)

I always use those songs in my tribute shows

And don't do any slow songs when you only do a couple of Elvis songs. Devil In Disquise could replace Rubberneckin´ since it's very popular and kids know it from Lilo and Stitch. Or you could end the show with it. Little Sister could also be in the middle.

I know a local band which usually do Devil In Disquise as an encore. They do it in their own hard slow and fast version but still everybody knows it's an Elvis song.

see-see-rider

Post by see-see-rider »

ElvisAhlgren wrote:That's All Right (well known Elvis classic that everybody likes)
Rubberneckin´ (works perfect when you got a dancing crowd)
Suspicious Minds (one of he most appreciated Elvis songs today)

I always use those songs in my tribute shows

And don't do any slow songs when you only do a couple of Elvis songs. Devil In Disquise could replace Rubberneckin´ since it's very popular and kids know it from Lilo and Stitch. Or you could end the show with it. Little Sister could also be in the middle.

I know a local band which usually do Devil In Disquise as an encore. They do it in their own hard slow and fast version but still everybody knows it's an Elvis song.
Some very interesting thoughts and suggestions IMO.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Keggyhander wrote:
Jailhouse Rock. Completely forgot that one. Yes, that one is impossible to reproduce. I suspect that when it it was recorded it was spliced from different attempts because I don't think that voice can be sustained like that.
Elvis 'sustained' it live in 1968. Granted he dropped 1 of the 5 verses, but he still let it rip for 4 verses! And in 1957 he was only 22, and there was a guitar solo allowing him to catch his breath - if even necessary.

Keggyhander

Post by Keggyhander »

Pete,

I think he sounds awful on JR on the 68 special.

elvisjnr
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by elvisjnr »

somebody said that trying toi get to you, only Elvis can do justice. i tried the note last night on WHEN I READ YOUR LOVIN LETTEEER!, god it sounded so cool. my voice soared and at the end of TER!, there was a hiccup which sounded really cool that Elvis could do

but i do agree that Just Pretend is a hard song to master, especially the line 'LOVE YOU AGAIN!'

we want Elvis! we want Elvis! we want Elvis on tour!

TCB TED

Post by TCB TED »

Unless I missed it, no one has suggested the JXL version of " A Little Less Conversation".

Its hip, and people who don't get Elvis still want to dance to it. It also isn't usually associated with ETA's.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling

Post by ritchie valens »

when i peformed i did jailhouse rock blue suede shoes and hound dog.
heres a couple that would get e'm going
one night
return to sender
teddy bear

familyjules

Post by familyjules »

Keggyhander wrote:Let me tell you this: Trilogy is easy apart from the last note.

With Just pretend you've got three very difficult choruses, the last line of each requiring correct pitch, power, colour, tension, and breath placement.

Anybody can murder it. I've seen some very good ETA's make a complete pig's ear of it. Singing it properly is a different ballgame.
I agree about the last note in Trilogy - but there's also lots of dynamics and changes to cope with in that song.

If you have a strong voice, and it's in the right key for your voice, then Just Pretend is less complex. I like singing it, but I have to sing it lower than Elvis did.

What does 'ETA' stand for?

Jules

elvisjnr
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by elvisjnr »

Elvis tribute artist, another term for Elvis impersonator, but really, these ETAs do Elvis in their own way, not to mock him, but to pay tribute. these are respective impersonators. i wanted to be one actually :lol:

we want Elvis! we want Elvis! we want Elvis on tour!

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

My choice would be:

1. Jailhouse Rock

2. Suspicious Minds

3. The Wonder Of You

Brian :D

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Keggyhander wrote:Pete,

:shock:

see-see-rider

Post by see-see-rider »

Pete Dube wrote:

I agree with that. The whole NBC-Special is sung pretty badly ... Sorry to say it folks. But in favor of an energetic performance Elvis neglected the singing a little too much at times ...

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

see-see-rider wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:

I agree with that. The whole NBC-Special is sung pretty badly ... Sorry to say it folks. But in favor of an energetic performance Elvis neglected the singing a little too much at times ...
Thanks, guys !

For years, I've gone around thinking I was the only one who felt that way !

What saves the show is the sheer thrill of the visual experience !

Did he ever look better ?

Or sound worse ?

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire