Ernst: Not Elvis on "lost tapes" (Dallas Mg. News)

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Ernst: Not Elvis on "lost tapes" (Dallas Mg. News)

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Elvis? Not to suspicious minds
The tapes are from Memphis, and his family knew the King

08:55 AM CDT on Monday, August 8, 2005

By LINDA STEWART BALL / The Dallas Morning News
Steve Lawrence pulled the fragile reel-to-reel tapes out of a duffel bag and reverently laid them on the table.

Steve Lawrence owns old tapes from his uncle's recording studio and believes some are early, unreleased recordings of Elvis Presley. 'It's destiny, how this landed in my lap,' he said. 'I hope I handle it right.' The Plano man has tied his family's financial future to a dusty box of old recordings. Dubbed The Lost Memphis Tapes, they were found in a shed behind his late uncle's house on the Tennessee/Mississippi border.

"This whole thing is about dreams and destiny," Mr. Lawrence says. "It's destiny, how this landed in my lap ... I hope I handle it right."

Mr. Lawrence's uncle, Ronald "Slim" Wallace, owned Fernwood Records, a Memphis recording studio in the 1950s that had one big hit, "Tragedy," by Thomas Wayne.

Given the time, the place and a few eyewitness accounts, Mr. Lawrence, 52, believes the voice on at least six songs on those tapes is that of a shy but talented future king of rock 'n' roll.

But the experts beg to differ.

It's not a young Elvis Presley they say. It's not Elvis singing at all.

"He believes in it because he wants to sell it," said Kevin Kern, media coordinator for Elvis Presley Enterprises Inc. in Memphis. "Everything Elvis is hot."

Especially as Elvis Week looms; Aug. 16 marks the 28th anniversary of his passing in 1977 at 42.

"People who want to get publicity just latch on to Elvis because the ride will take you everywhere," said Mr. Kern. "I don't want to say that's what this guy is doing. ... You have to judge whether this guy is legitimate."

A lot of money is at stake.

"There are deep-pocketed Elvis collectors that would just go berserk with the right kind of authenticity," said John Petty, director of media relations for Heritage Galleries and Auctioneers of Dallas.

And there's the rub.

Ernst Jorgensen, the premier archivist of Elvis' recorded works, said the singer on the excerpts he received wasn't Elvis.

He hears claims of lost Elvis tapes or just-discovered early recordings 20 to 30 times a year.

"I follow up on everything I can," Mr. Jorgensen wrote in an e-mail from Denmark. "It's quite seldom that we find something new."

A voice analysis comparing known early Elvis recordings to Mr. Lawrence's tape failed to match the vocal characteristics.

But Mr. Lawrence won't be deterred.

He's neither a con artist nor a fool, those who know him say.

Mr. Lawrence is a hard-working maintenance supervisor at Rodman Excavation in Frisco who writes and sings country and gospel songs in his spare time, a former police officer who is not afraid to chase life's possibilities.

"He's a man of integrity," said longtime friend Joe Ninowski Jr., 43, of Flower Mound. "He has great character, a great spirit about him. A-never-say-die attitude."

$90,000 investment

Mr. Lawrence's Uncle Slim, a truck driver and musician, built a recording studio in a garage behind his Memphis house around 1953-54.

But in 1966, after Mr. Wallace's younger daughter was killed, he lost interest in the music business and Fernwood Records faded.

In 2001, Mr. Wallace suffered a fatal heart attack. At a family reunion, Mr. Lawrence wondered what became of his uncle's record business.

All that was left was the name, some papers, and a couple of boxes of tapes.

"Steve kept on me, 'What's on those tapes?' " his cousin Ronnie Lee Wallace Sr., 55, of Southaven, Miss., recalled. "He cut me a deal before I knew what was on them. ... He paid us $90,000."

In a Tyler studio they sifted through hours of unlabeled tapes, finding a smorgasbord of rockabilly, country and the blues, music that hadn't been heard in decades. The brittle tape often broke between songs.

"Finally something comes on," said James Patterson, 27, a Rosewood Studio engineer. "To me, you know, I thought it was Elvis instantly. The hair stood up on my arms and stuff. I turned around and said, 'Yes, that's Elvis right there.' "

Mr. Lawrence's cousin Glenda "Sue" Wallace, 66, of Duluth, Ga., doesn't have a doubt.

"I was there and saw it happen," she said.

She said she and Elvis were contemporaries who met at South Side hangouts.

The way she remembers it, they talked music and Elvis asked whether her dad could help him out. She claims that after realizing Elvis wasn't straight country, her dad suggested the youth see his friend Sam Phillips at Sun Records.

"The rest is history," Ms. Wallace said, adding that Elvis gave her dad the songs in appreciation for helping him get started.

Singing the blues

He may have been in the Fernwood recording studio, but is that him singing?

"I guarantee you that's not Elvis's voice, even at an early stage; the quality of the voice is not there," said author and retired local schoolteacher Stanley Oberst.

But Mr. Oberst, who wrote the book Elvis in Texas: The Undiscovered King 1954 to 1958, thought some of the more valuable tracks on the tapes were of black blues singers.

Collectors in England and Germany would latch on to that in a minute, he said.

So Mr. Lawrence may have some Memphis gold after all, black gold, he says.

That makes him even more passionate about his family's legacy.

Asked to speak at a recent Frisco Chamber of Commerce luncheon, he won a few converts on the Elvis question.

"I'd like to play one of the songs, a slow version of 'Don't Be Cruel,' and see who you think it sounds like," Mr. Lawrence told the crowd. "That's Ace Cannon on the horn. I've spoken to him. He remembers playing on this tune."

Leaning across a plate of salad and pasta, one chamber member whispered: "If he's got someone who was there, what's the dispute?"

In this case, Elvis aficionados question the timing, saying it's unlikely Elvis would have even had access to that song until he recorded it for RCA around 1956.

Cruel details aside, folks remain intrigued by Mr. Lawrence's journey.

In researching his musical roots, Mr. Lawrence is meeting colorful living legends and lesser-known characters from Memphis' recording past. He's enjoying the ride.

Naturally, because "we owe a pickup truck full of money," he said he hopes it somehow pays off.

Until then, he's holding on to his day job and sharing "The Lost Memphis Tapes" story with whomever will listen.

"There's just so much to tell," he said. "It's unbelievable."

E-mail lsball@dallasnews.com

Is it the King? Listen to the clips of Steve Lawrence's unreleased recordings and tell us if you think they are authentic early Elvis.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/collin/stories/080805dnmetlosttapes.7f5ac82.html

Gang, it's clearly not Elvis, but if interested, you go onto this site, work quickly as you have to subscribe to have continued access after a minute or so. Look for the "extra" within the story to click onto the bogus "Elvis" songs:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

$90000 for some old tapes that broke when they played them - yeah, way to go looking after that investment.

If they thought "Yeah, that's Elvis right there, we've found it" then that means they were waiting (hoping) for that from the off, not listening and then analysing.

JEFF d
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Ernst: Not Elvis on "lost tapes" (Dallas Mg. N

Post by JEFF d »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Listen to the clips of Steve Lawrence's unreleased recordings and tell us if you think they are authentic early Elvis.
Where can you listen to the clips?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

Jeff, you have to click on to the link but quickly find the "Extra"
segment and click each one.

After almost 30 seconds, you have to "Register" so work fast! :lol:

You're not missing anything, though! Everyone's being real polite:

it's clearly not Elvis. Another fraud.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Whoa now son... I think we have found those lost early Bubba Ho-Tep recordings we've been dying for! Thank you, thank you very much! :D

...not even close... I can do better than that!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Paul

Post by Paul »

If this man genuinely believes this is Elvis singing he is an absolute arsehole !! :lol: The voice is nothing like Elvis at all , the man is tone deaf. Why would he think this is Elvis :roll:

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

Me too! Must be a slow news week. I'm surprised EPE and RCA even gave the reporter a response. :roll:

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Greg -

"Before he went to Sun records, he popped into another Memphis studio and cut some sides.

We've found the tape !"

It's like the rock 'n' roll Holy Grail, isn't it ?

Unfortunately, the whole story falls apart once you listen to the clips !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

Colin:

I hope you weren't it buying it before then!

What a totally bogus story.
:twisted:

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Between this story, and LMP selling Graceland... is this the crap(not to mention shakey) news we are gonna get on this anniversary? Hopefully we will get some good news from that guy speaking at Elvis week this year from Turner.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Songman
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by Songman »

If that is Elvis, then i am Santa :)

You read your lines so cleverly and never missed a cue

http://elvistimes.nl/

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Scatter »

Greg......how can you be so deaf?? If that's not Elvis, I'll eat my hat.

It's CLEARLY Elvis Costello, and I will defend that opinion with my last breath :wink:

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Oh yeah... that's him... wrap it up and sell it...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

sam

Post by sam »

That Don't Be Cruel clip sounds like an impersonation of Rick Nelson. He almost got it right for Rick.

8)

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

sam wrote:That Don't Be Cruel clip sounds like an impersonation of Rick Nelson. He almost got it right for Rick.

8)
Exactly what I thought. I'm surprised they were so unlike Elvis. I mean it's not even a good hoax.

JonRomanovich

Post by JonRomanovich »

I actually thought Don't be CRuel sounded a little like Pat Boone as well as Rick Nelson.

iF iT'S tOO lOUD, yOU ARE tOO oLD

I'm on facebook!! Jon Romanovich

Kingtiger0321

Post by Kingtiger0321 »

I can't believe these druggies think that this is Elvis. Clearly they are not Elvis fans. Also if it were Elvis it's not like BMG Sony would have given the $90,000 for the tape to begin with, so this guy should "just stick to truck driving."

Random qoutes:

"I'll be dog gone Nick! Your house done blowed up, s'on fire too!" - Elvis

"You fed them DOG FOOD! How Dare!!!!" - "Paradise, Hawaiian style"

KingOfTheJungle

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

This is so ridiculous, Not only are the clips NOT Elvis, I don't even think clip 1 and 2 are the same person.

King Of The Jungle

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Scatter wrote:It's CLEARLY Elvis Costello, and I will defend that opinion with my last breath ...
And all recorded clearly before Costello was even born!

DJC

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scatter wrote:It's CLEARLY Elvis Costello, and I will defend that opinion with my last breath ...

DJC
Blast you and your infernal logic Doctor!!!!! You've bested me again!!!! :wink: :D

Elvis' Babe
Registered for: 20 years
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

omg, not even close to elvis' voice. :shock: :? :lol:

pathetic choice of songs this person thinks are elvis. kind of a pop sound there (if anything perhaps a slightly country pop, but very watered down--not a single yearning note from elvis' 18 year old voice).

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC
Maybe Scatter was thinking of Lou Costello.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

If he thinks this is Elvis he is a nut!!!
Probably a Ricky Nelson cover as said before :lol:

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Marco Aurelio
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Marco Aurelio »

Ahhh come on!!!! This is not Elvis voice... Hey Jeff, I´m with you. Sure I can do better than that!

How many stars are in the sky ???? I´LL NEVER KNOW!

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Joe Car wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC
Maybe Scatter was thinking of Lou Costello.
:lol: :lol: